• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Alien: Isolation screenshots

Damn, this looks great. I haven't played Colonial Marines yet, but I'm an unabashed sucker for the Alien license.

As a fellow hardcore Alien fan, I highly recommend avoiding Colonial Marines like the plague. Play Alien Trilogy or Resurrection again...

They still hold up even today in terms of gameplay, if you can look past the now dated visuals.

A-V-B

Its gonna be real hard making Alien Isolation to run at rock-solid 95 fps. Vast majority of PC gamers will need to drop visual settings way down and destroy the look of the game to raise framerate high end eliminate harmful effects for low persistence strobing.

That's of course possible only if the game is not CPU-bound [hopefully game will support Mantle renderpath to eliminate that bottleneck].

Anything for the chestburster twist ending!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I haven't read through the previous Isolation threads (only skimmed them for the pics), so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but does this new Xeno not come from a human host?

It has digitigrade limbs, or cat/dog/bird like legs in contrast to the human-like legs of the original Xeno.

u3fNg59.jpg

OfOlmnX.jpg

even if there was no reason for it, I'm glad they took some liberty in the design of the xenomorph. why limit yourself to what was possible on a low budget in the 70s? the movie hid the fact that it was a tall man in a suit well, but there's no point in replicating it exactly.

Guy.brush

God I love how they didn't create our version of the future, but they created the version of the future imagined in the original Alien movie. Fucking old school CRTs and shit, it's lovely.

A kind of retro look in space makes sense though even in a non-Alien universe.
The deep space radiation would fry any modern CPU quite quickly. NASA is still using Intel 386DX CPUs in some probes. Modern nanometer scale die fabrication processes are no good in space.
Also, space ship travel takes a long time due to the immense vastness of space. There is an ESA comet probe just now waking up from a deep sleep mode that was launched in 2004, 10 years ago. Just to reach a comet that is deep within our own solar system.
And third: investments in technology and safety standards also demand long term thinking and technology deployment. Space shuttles had computer systems from the early 80s til the end pretty much.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
that film grain is absurd or whatever the fuck it is

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I haven't read through the previous Isolation threads (only skimmed them for the pics), so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but does this new Xeno not come from a human host?

It has digitigrade limbs, or cat/dog/bird like legs in contrast to the human-like legs of the original Xeno.

u3fNg59.jpg

OfOlmnX.jpg

They can gladly retcon that to me, there's a reason we never saw the film Alien lit like that with human-like legs, it'd look absolutely ridiculous.

Jaeger

Yea, I'm sure the digit-grade limbs were to further enhance the original design. Something alot of people blow a gasket at in the Alien fandom, but something I welcome. Other than that, it's an almost spitting image of the original Xeno. Nothing else was borrowed from the Resurrection or other, Xeno.

halfbeast

Banned
not gonna say the game's gonna be bad (because so far it looks really good), but the fact that it's Ripley's daughter makes me gag a little. we're reaching Jaws 4 Revenge-type of ridiculousness here.

The Cowboy

This looks GLORIOUS! (sorry, watching a Klingon story ark Star Trek :D), I love how they seem to have gotten the original movie look.

I can't wait!!! (dam my Alien hype, I really shouldn't keep having it).

- J - D -

even if there was no reason for it, I'm glad they took some liberty in the design of the xenomorph. why limit yourself to what was possible on a low budget in the 70s? the movie hid the fact that it was a tall man in a suit well, but there's no point in replicating it exactly.

They can gladly retcon that to me, there's a reason we never saw the film Alien lit like that with human-like legs, it'd look absolutely ridiculous.

I never saw it as a limitation of budget or technology, but an intrinsic part of the alien physiology. The xenos take the general shape of their host, so it'd make sense that the original xeno, and most other human-host xenos in later movies, would have human-like appendages, whereas the xeno from Alien 3 had more quadruped features.

I do hope there's a reason for why this new Xeno has those features. Devils in the details (and they've put so much apparent effort into other details).

Oh and in regards to the alien suit not being scary when shown in full or lit well, it all comes down to how it's presented. Just watch this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKi41a1rJI#t=56

Even without the suit, the general humanoid form of the alien can still be terrifying.

A kind of retro look in space makes sense though even in a non-Alien universe.
The deep space radiation would fry any modern CPU quite quickly. NASA is still using Intel 386DX CPUs in some probes. Modern nanometer scale die fabrication processes are no good in space.
Also, space ship travel takes a long time due to the immense vastness of space. There is an ESA comet probe just now waking up from a deep sleep mode that was launched in 2004, 10 years ago. Just to reach a comet that is deep within our own solar system.
And third: investments in technology and safety standards also demand long term thinking and technology deployment. Space shuttles had computer systems from the early 80s til the end pretty much.

You're reaching.

God I love how they didn't create our version of the future, but they created the version of the future imagined in the original Alien movie. Fucking old school CRTs and shit, it's lovely.

Right down to the woman in the calendar wearing the same panties as Ripley did in Alien. I can't be the only one who noticed that right? <_< >_> <_<

Game looks amazing.

- J - D -

I noticed that, too...The xeno in Alien 3 was designed that way, but it came from a dog (or ox, depending on the version).

However, I think they used that design for Alien: Resurrection as well, and I don't know if it was made clear whether they came from human hosts or not:

Looks like they're using that design?

Well, another reason for me to dislike Alien Resurrection.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Is it just me or does this calendar bear an uncanny resemblance to Ripley from Aliens? I seem to vaguely recall her being dressed/wake up in a similar dressed fashion in Aliens in her appartment (somewhere near the beginning of the movie).

COwYNiV.jpg

Also, the screenshots look so much ahead of anything out now, that I simply can't believe them being real. Besides, how often have we been shown awesome looking graphics, only to be presented with a horrible looking product (relatively speaking)?

Having said, I want, nay, NEED to believe...

Chinner

Banned
i like their interpretation of the alien in isolation. its kinda like a homage to the original, while taking away the man-in-the-suit look of the 70s.

Oh, good. It looks like they have the skull under the transparent dome. I was hoping for that, I love that detail.

Hard to see (not visible at all in most of the shots), but it was hard to see in the original too (even though the suit was built that way), so I cant really complain.

Wouldnt mind if they took a pinch of artistic license though and made it just a little bit more transparent so we could get a glimpse of it more often. It looks awesome.

In the Edge article they have another shot of it and the skull is really clear. Doubt we'll get many opportunities to see it in-game though.

i like their interpretation of the alien in isolation. its kinda like a homage to the original, while taking away the man-in-the-suit look of the 70s.

Yeah, I'll get over it, considering the rest of the design is spot on.

I wonder if they will give it some of the awkward/weird movements like the xeno in Alien, though. They became these super-nimble monsters in the sequels, but in Alien, some of its actions made it seem almost curious of its surroundings and the humans.

Either way, yeah, Day 1. I'm glad the success of Amnesia (and maybe more recently, Outlast?) have inspired devs to go back to "helpless" survival horror.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea I think when looking at the movies not too many were paying attention to the legs... I know I wasnt...lol. I was looking at the huge ass head.

There was a scene in one of the first 3 movies where you might can see legs when it was in the ventilation ducts. Sounds like 2 or 3.

Or even in 1 when it was laying on its back, side.

But yea....I want this.

OT....but the legs....it kinda explains that in some of the movies. Especially Prometheus. I think the xenos take on most of the form of the host. Or evolved to that over the years. That thing at the end of Promteheus was nothing like the Alien movies and that was supposed to be before Alien.

- J - D -

The legs aren't a big deal of course. I just wanna know if they were an intentional design choice or if there are other reasons for it. I can't imagine the latter is likely though.

Yeah, I'll get over it, considering the rest of the design is spot on.

I wonder if they will give it some of the awkward/weird movements like the xeno in Alien, though. They became these super-nimble monsters in the sequels, but in Alien, some of its actions made it seem almost curious of its surroundings and the humans.

Either way, yeah, Day 1. I'm glad the success of Amnesia (and maybe more recently, Outlast?) have inspired devs to go back to "helpless" survival horror.

I've always preferred the original '79 Alien design. The more humanoid physiology combined with the clear dome and skull just gave it a creepiness which was lost as the design evolved into more of an animalistic creature.

Nitpicking aside though, the game looks prettay, prettay, prettay good in these shots.

Obviously those aren't his, but Ridley Scott typically does some amazing storyboarding/"Ridleygrams" for his movies. His own style is Moebius-ish, and I thought I read somewhere that Moebius helped out with SOME of the designs for Alien...

He did; he was one of the team of artists in pre-production. It included Ron Cobb, Chris Foss too off the top of my head. Of course Giger gets almost all the pub because of his deliciously creepy design work but they all played their part. I've seen design sketches from Moebius for the space suit and uniforms the crew wear that were pretty closely followed in the actual designs used in the film.

raindoc

I never saw it as a limitation of budget or technology, but an intrinsic part of the alien physiology. The xenos take the general shape of their host, so it'd make sense that the original xeno, and most other human-host xenos in later movies, would have human-like appendages, whereas the xeno from Alien 3 had more quadruped features.

I do hope there's a reason for why this new Xeno has those features. Devils in the details (and they've put so much apparent effort into other details).

Oh and in regards to the alien suit not being scary when shown in full or lit well, it all comes down to how it's presented. Just watch this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKi41a1rJI#t=56

Even without the suit, the general humanoid form of the alien can still be terrifying.

They lend some features, but not everything - given that the Xeno's a nasty predator, a "fixed" pre-programmed leg that does not depend on the host makes more sense than lending the legs of a victim. Imagine a Xeno born from an elephant - if it would take over the functional anatomy of those legs it would have a hard time climbing or jumping...

Not falling for it that easily. I will remain skeptical and assume that this is going to be either terrible or at most mediocre, regardless of how pretty it may look.
And when I buy it and it turns out to be fucking amazing, I will be pleasantly surprised and talk about it on GAF.

There's gameplay footage, actually played by journalists. It's not going to be a repeat of the Colonial Marines saga with Sega/Gearbox showing the same pre-rendered demo at all events/previews until a month or two before release.

Looks great so far.

I think the altered legs make it look more menacing. Always thought it looked kinda goofy with the human-like feet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Xeno is looking hot here.

This game is doing everything right as far as I'm concerned. The Alien is going to seem like a legit threat again

Yeah, it's insane how well they've adapted the look and feel of the original movie. I can't think of any other licensed game that captured the cinematic techniques and recreated the art so well.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Seriously? Come on...

I was being serious, yeah. It's especially because of the screenshot with the calendar. That just looks to damn pretty to be real. In my experience you can only trust pre-release screenshots to be heavily edited to make them look super pretty.

Don't get me wrong: if the actual game looks like this in realtime with a good framerate, I'll be happily surprised and eat the crow ;)

Besides, I don't even mind it if it would look like current gen. I'm more worried about the actual game being real fun. I definitely want it to succeed, but a good Alien game is like the perfect girlfriend...

Axial

From the Official Playstation Magazine UK:
“(…) One of the first things we did was make the [Alien] 9-10ft tall. From that we were like, ‘well, a 9-10ft tall bloke isn’t going to be able to walk around this space that’s designed for 6ft humans in a very convincing way.’ We ended up iterating on the actual physiology in the alien, so it kind of could work in that space. We built an alien that physically can’t work, and that informs how the thing moves, and how the creature chooses to behave.”
Either way, I still like what they did with the legs, reminds me alot of the redesign by Tom Woodruff, Jr. and Alec Gillis. The human shaped legs where always that one thing which bothered me in the original Xeno design. It was a very believable and scarry creature up until the final moments of the movie where you could see the Alien body in full, once you got a glimpse of the whole creature it became obvious that you were looking at a guy in a rubber suit and gone was the illusion. Jean-Pierre Jeunet got atleast this one thing right. He felt that a man in a suit is easy to distinguish when the full body is seen so he decided to use CGI Aliens rather than puppets or suited actors whenever the creatures' legs were in frame.

Top Bottom