• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Alien: Isolation screenshots

He did; he was one of the team of artists in pre-production. It included Ron Cobb, Chris Foss too off the top of my head. Of course Giger gets almost all the pub because of his deliciously creepy design work but they all played their part. I've seen design sketches from Moebius for the space suit and uniforms the crew wear that were pretty closely followed in the actual designs used in the film.

Awesome--thanks for the information!

Jaeger

From the Official Playstation Magazine UK:

Either way, I still like what they did with the legs, reminds me alot of the redesign by Tom Woodruff, Jr. and Alec Gillis. The human shaped legs where always that one thing which bothered me in the original Xeno design. It was a very believable and scarry creature up until the final moments of the movie where you could see the Alien body in full, once you got a glimpse of the whole creature it became obvious that you were looking at a guy in a rubber suit and gone was the illusion. Jean-Pierre Jeunet got atleast this one thing right. He felt that a man in a suit is easy to distinguish when the full body is seen so he decided to use CGI Aliens rather than puppets or suited actors whenever the creatures' legs were in frame.

They still used practical special effects in alot of shots for legs. Youd don't need CGI to make convincing digit-grade legs on film. They did it in Alien 3, first.

Dennis

Banned
I think the immersion with this game will be off the charts.

Therefore, dear developers

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD INCLUDE A COMPLETELY HUD-LESS OPTION

Axial

They still used practical special effects in alot of shots for legs. Youd don't need CGI to make convincing digit-grade legs on film. They did it in Alien 3, first.
I'm not really arguing that, neither do I really care whether they were using CGI (Resurrection) or rod puppets filmed against bluescreen and optically composited into the live-action footage (Alien3). What I liked about both aproaches was that it gave a sense of believability to the creature as opposed to a guy trying to improvise movement in a rubber suit.

From the Official Playstation Magazine UK:

Either way, I still like what they did with the legs, reminds me alot of the redesign by Tom Woodruff, Jr. and Alec Gillis. The human shaped legs where always that one thing which bothered me in the original Xeno design. It was a very believable and scarry creature up until the final moments of the movie where you could see the Alien body in full, once you got a glimpse of the whole creature it became obvious that you were looking at a guy in a rubber suit and gone was the illusion. Jean-Pierre Jeunet got atleast this one thing right. He felt that a man in a suit is easy to distinguish when the full body is seen so he decided to use CGI Aliens rather than puppets or suited actors whenever the creatures' legs were in frame.

iOm7vy9wDSw4Y.gif

they better keep the crabwalk

.la1n

I swore I wouldn't get excited for another Alien game after Colonial Marines but I will be damned if this doesn't look amazing. If they can maintain the tension for the entirety of the campaign then we could have a winner. Love the design of the Alien and the ship, all the small details work so well.

iOm7vy9wDSw4Y.gif

they better keep the crabwalk

Yeah, I liked the concept of the xeno in Alien. It was almost like a terrifying newborn, despite its rapid development cycle. I forget where I read that they wanted it to appear sexually attracted to Lambert, as they had the idea of Kane/John Hurt's character being attracted to her, pre-xeno.

I just generally am more attracted to the idea of xenos being unique beings influence by the physiology and psychology of the previous host, rather than a race of creatures that has evolved specific instincts and mannerisms. I don't think the xenos SHOULD move naturally as animals that have evolved over thousands and millions of years.

We're getting super nerdy here, so I'll stop.

I haven't read through the previous Isolation threads (only skimmed them for the pics), so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but does this new Xeno not come from a human host?

It has digitigrade limbs, or cat/dog/bird like legs in contrast to the human-like legs of the original Xeno.

u3fNg59.jpg

OfOlmnX.jpg
But that had more to do with budget and the fact they had a man in a suit rather than design choice.

Scott has said many times that the scene at the end when the Alien is shot out the airlock and you finally see it's whole body and it's basically just a man in a suit is his most regrettable thing about the whole film.

shaowebb

I cannot wait to have a Clocktower moment of running and hiding and knowing full well that I have no way to defeat this thing. I want that stalked feeling of being hunted. Dont make the Aliens worthless like the last game. Scare me. Make it actually feel like survival moments. Make me earn it and be clever and have to outmaneuver but dont let me overpower these creatures. Make. This. COUNT.

gabbo

So did they keep the human-esque skull in the dome? The screenshots don't really make it seem so, but there is definitely something in there.

So did they keep the human-esque skull in the dome? The screenshots don't really make it seem so, but there is definitely something in there.

They did in fact keep it. It's clearly visible in a screenshot I saw over at kotaku.com. In most screens though it's not visible or hardly visible.

Kilau

Right down to the woman in the calendar wearing the same panties as Ripley did in Alien. I can't be the only one who noticed that right? <_< >_> <_<

Game looks amazing.

You are not alone, first thing I noticed.
I am a perv I guess :(

Game looks really good, can't wait.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So has it been confirmed whether or not there's shootbangs in this game?

They called out Dead Space and RE for being reskinned Gears games so I doubt there will be much, if any. The press demo only had a wrench as a weapon, which was completely useless against the xeno.

INCUBA3E

Banned
They called out Dead Space and RE for being reskinned Gears games so I doubt there will be much, if any. The press demo only had a wrench as a weapon, which was completely useless against the xeno.

Maybe shock sticks and blow torches for a distraction?

Savitar

As someone already said. It xeno needs more slime

Not much, they went over board with all the drool in later movies that made it come out like a water fountain half the time. That was bad.

Also trivia fact: The webbing jaw parts were made with melted condoms.

INCUBA3E

Banned
Not much, they went over board with all the drool in later movies that made it come out like a water fountain half the time. That was bad.

Also trivia fact: The webbing jaw parts were made with melted condoms.

Agreed. But the wet look is a must

INCUBA3E

Banned
It's not called a Xenomorph. People calling these things a Xenomorph is one of the biggest crimes in cinema history. Fans saying they've seen Aliens multiple times and then calling the beasts Xenomorphs.

Hudson: this gonna be a stand up fight sir, or another bug hunt

Gorman: all we know is theres still no contact with the colony, and that a Xenomorph maybe involved

Frost: excuse me sir a what?

Gorman: xenomorph

Hudson: its a bug hunt

Yeh you're right the script writer's are criminals

Hudson: this gonna be a stand up fight sir, or another bug hunt

Gorman: all we know is theres still no contact with the colony, and that a Xenomorph maybe involved

Frost: excuse me sir a what?

Gorman: xenomorph

Hudson: its a bug hunt

Yeh you're right the script writer's are criminals

Xenomorph is a classification, branch or clade. Like calling us Mammals.
Xeno - Foreign/Alien
Morph - Changing

How can it have a name when they don't even know they exist?

To be perfectly frank, we've surveyed over three hundred worlds and no one's ever reported a creature which, using your words......'gestates in a living human host' and has 'concentrated molecular acid for blood.'

Has there even been an expanded fiction-esque scenario where a synthetic plays host to an alien and successfully produces an alien-android hybrid?

I'm not an alien expert in any sense of the term but I'd have to assume Aliens (as the "perfect predator/lifeform') could potentially meld with synthetics/anything beyond organic material.

If not I smell future fanfic all over it :)

INCUBA3E

Banned
Xeno - Foreign/Alien
Morph - Changing

To be perfectly frank, we've surveyed over three hundred worlds and no one's ever reported a creature which, using your words......'gestates in a living human host' and has 'concentrated molecular acid for blood.'

Jeez dude. Theyre called xenomorphs. They say it multiple times. Get off you high horse

What do u super elite fans call them then? U must be on a first name basis I take it

Xeno - Foreign/Alien
Morph - Changing

I get what you're saying, but what else are we supposed to call them? They're never given a name proper in the movies, to my knowledge, and using "alien"...just no.

Xeno - Foreign/Alien
Morph - Changing

Of course they know they exist. They want the aliens as weapons, they're not going to admit their existence to everybody.

Is it just me or does this calendar bear an uncanny resemblance to Ripley from Aliens? I seem to vaguely recall her being dressed/wake up in a similar dressed fashion in Aliens in her appartment (somewhere near the beginning of the movie).

COwYNiV.jpg

Also, the screenshots look so much ahead of anything out now, that I simply can't believe them being real. Besides, how often have we been shown awesome looking graphics, only to be presented with a horrible looking product (relatively speaking)?

Having said, I want, nay, NEED to believe...
Well there's an easy answer to that - the smaller the space the more expense can be spent on graphics. Remember these games are running on the same systems that allowed for an entire open world to work on 7 yr old machines (GTAV) when you put all that rendering effort and prowess into small rooms and corridors - you'd be hard pressed to make a bad looking game.

Has there even been an expanded fiction-esque scenario where a synthetic plays host to an alien and successfully produces an alien-android hybrid?

I'm not an alien expert in any sense of the term but I'd have to assume Aliens (as the "perfect predator/lifeform') could potentially meld with synthetics/anything beyond organic material.

If not I smell future fanfic all over it :)

I thought the original concept for xenos was something biomechanical, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom