• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ARMS Character Trailer: Helix (DNA Man)

SalvaPot

Just put that and this together

https://youtu.be/eEQomU6iFtw

And this

6360921585149168081732347768_gumby.jpg

You reminded me of this:

original

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Arms cast continues to impress me. I wonder how many fighters there will be en the end, 12 or so?

jonno394

I'm predicting a trailer a week between now and end of may/e3 with 5 more character reveals leaving 12 fighters in all.

A man can dream.

MicH

I wish they were a bit more creative with the names. They're extremely basic. But other than that I love how this character can move. Very interesting character

Everything in this game is vaguely unsettling.

Not sure if I love it... or don't love it.

I honestly feel this is deliberate. Behind the appealing and colourful aesthetic is this undercurrent of wrongness that's kinda fascinating.

Which wouldn't surprise me; fucking Splatoon is technically post apocalyptic fiction

why didnt you say molecular

why

Fuck. See? This is how much fucking DNA Man has unnerved me

SalvaPot

I honestly feel this is deliberate. Behind the appealing and colourful aesthetic is this undercurrent of wrongness that's kinda fascinating.

Which wouldn't surprise me; fucking Splatoon is technically post apocalyptic fiction

Fuck. See? This is how much fucking DNA Man has unnerved me

The Turf Wars are ceremonial renditions of their old battles for earth supremacy.

Kind of like soccer.

Definitely not a character I'd use based on the visuals, but glad the roster is looking so diverse. Cool to see characters aren't limited to "humans."

Crayolan

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise Helix ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

This guy looks awesome. He's got some good squishy sound effects.

correojon

I didn´t like the design at first, but after watching it in action I think it makes a lot of sense. I like how Nintendo usually starts by designing the gameplay mechanics and then define the rest of the design around them; this looks to be a clear example of that. They went with the "hard to hit" concept and gave him all kind of abbilities centered around that, even his stage is filled with columns to hide behind and mess with the opponent. What I like more is how he seems to play so differently to the other characters, in fact all characters seem to have something going for them; again I´m getting huge Splatoon vibes with how all weapon classes are so different in that game and make you play differently.

So the effect of Water type ARMs when charged is to place a blinding blob of water on the opponent's head.

Also it doesn't appear that he can jump by default but can only do so after shifting to one of his other heights, so that's his semi-downside in that his jumping ability is limited...sort of.

I also noticed that he doesn't seem able to dash and when stretched up his legs stay in place, so my prediction is that the Dash button will instead shift him to his squish stance where he's low to the ground and can still move and Jump will put him in his stretch stance where he can't move and instead wobbles in place to evade. Looking at the video I'd imagine one Dash button press squishes him low and you can cancel it with another Dash or jumping out of it. Might just be the limitations of the video not showing everything but it doesn't look like he can cancel the stretch stance back to normal and instead must jump out of it. This fits my theory that jump activates the stance but it might be possible that Dash will cancel the stance back to normal.

So if I'm guessing right, he can't dash and there's a delay on his ability to jump but has exceptional ground evasion. Conversely this could mean getting him in the air is the best time to pressure or punish him.

Edit: And there's the tweet. lol I took too long with my write up and watching the video.

Top Bottom