• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ARMS Character Trailer: Helix (DNA Man)

Dryk

This is my take too. How did he become helix? Was he born that way? Mutant? Experiments? Also how did they all get their arms so messed up? Did they choose to do that for the sport? Is it something they can change after the fight?

So many questions and we all know Nintendo has the deepest lore.
They also have weird robot eyes so who knows
arms-800x420.jpg

AHHHHH HE'S PERFECT

I've been itching to see his reveal, and he's better than I imagined! Main material, for sure. I kinda like the simplicity of Helix as a name; in fact, I sort of like that all the Arms fighters have fairly straightforward names.

Something that strikes me is his straddling of the line between goofy and unnerving; he's garish, has big wax lips, and generally resembles a Nickelodeon reject, but at the same time, he's a genetic freak with the ability to bend and stretch in unnatural ways who speaks in inhuman sounds. The lore for ARMS is gonna be wild, that's for sure.

I also love what's apparently his signature glove, the bouncy one. Seems handy for his stage especially. I wonder what the blob status effect does? The shield glove also seems interesting.

Is it June yet?

Edit: Holy crap, that squeaking during his Super is nightmarish; he sounds positively giddy to be beating down Master Mummy! Imagine being faced with somethin like this in a more realistic setting, with it practically hyperventilating at the thought of getting its slimy hands on ya!

Teknoman

I need to see actual vs footage. The game looks interesting, but the punches move so slow...i cant see how anyone would actually hit each other.

The uncanny Valley vibe is now off the charts, this abomination is the most unnerving one to watch and hear.
Wtf is going on in this game, what is wrong with these freaks, why does Mechanica like and support this distortion of human life.

Freaking escaping a test tube, this shit is Jurassic Park. Everyone will die in a freak secret ending that you need to unlock after beating the game with all the characters twice.

The most important question

I'm assuming this is supposed to be a genderless character?

It looks a bit weird, but I like the animations.

Edit: oh, it's DNA Man in Japanese

Mandelbo

The music in that trailer's so good - I really like how it ramps up when the dragon arms appear. I can't not like Helix when it looks like he's having so much fun beating everyone to a pulp!

This is my take too. How did he become helix? Was he born that way? Mutant? Experiments? Also how did they all get their arms so messed up? Did they choose to do that for the sport? Is it something they can change after the fight?

The tweet says he was created by the ARMS labs.

Does this game have any content outside of 1 on 1 fighting between a very limited selection of characters that all share the same gimmick?

Should have been an eShop title.

Crayon

I need to see actual vs footage. The game looks interesting, but the punches move so slow...i cant see how anyone would actually hit each other.

It looks like virtual on. You have to judge what direction you dash in or you may dash into a setup.

It's all about dat movement in these arena fighters.

NmWTO8j.gif

WQFA6dW.gif

And of course 2v2:

lFOeG7V.gif

Here's to hoping they have some stats at the end of matches in the final game, like punches thrown, landed %, etc.

Does this game have any content outside of 1 on 1 fighting between a very limited selection of characters that all share the same gimmick?

Great post! Got any other uninformed, half-baked, hot-take jabs you'd like to take at the game while you're here? I'm craving more posts that ignore readily available information about the game and resort to vague, bullshitty reduction, please.

I am not sure ARMS will be a success (I hope so) but I really like that Nintendo is trying to be innovative in style and gameplay. I get really good vibes from this game.

meppi

Now what in the flying fuck is this one? lol

Wasn't sure about the game at first, but they sure got me now! :D

SalvaPot

So far confirmed:
-2vs2
-Online.
-Training mode
-Challenges.
-A single player mode we don't have details about, but it has been mentioned by developers.
-Comes bundled with Yellow Joy-Cons.
-At least 10 characters confirmed.

Also, each character have a different gimmick that affects their metagame. Also you can mix and match all kind of arms (Gloves) with different elemental and physical attributes and combo potential.

Mista Koo

Looks dorkier than I expected. But seems fun to play. Glad they didn't keep the stupid name.

While the music is great I wonder if most of the game's music is the main theme remixed.

So far confirmed:
-2vs2
-Online.
-Training mode
-Challenges.
-A single player mode we don't have details about, but it has been mentioned by developers.

Also, each character have a different gimmick that affects their metagame. Also you can mix and match all kind of arms (Gloves) with different elemental and physical attributes and combo potential.

This is all correct except I don't think they ever said it was gonna be bundled with Yellow Joycons. Just that they're releasing yellow ones in the theme of the game.

I could be wrong.

So far confirmed:
-2vs2
-Online.
-Training mode
-Challenges.

I didn't hear about this story mode.

Apart from that, sounds like less content and less depth than launch SFV. 10 characters is low, especially when they're all essentially clones.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't hear about this story mode.

Apart from that, sounds like less content and less depth than launch SFV.
You realise there's most probably like 30+ arms at launch. I don't think less content than SFV is a conclusion that makes much sense.Especially considering not all modes are even announced.

Top Bottom