• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ARMS Character Trailer: Helix (DNA Man)

This dude looks really cool and fun to play as lol. Might have just sold me on the game, especially if that 2v2 mode has enough to enjoy.

gr-blowing-attn-grabber.jpg

latest

jwk94

Personally I prefer Helix. Not a fan of Spring Man or Ribbon Girl's name, either. Wish more were like Mechanica.

I forgot about those names. Hmm, I suppose ___ Man/Girl/Woman is a way of differentiating between who's human and who's an ARMS...thing. Makes me wonder if we're gonna see another human besides Mechanica.

1. This game is gonna be huge
2. Cannot wait for the story and lore

I've always been one of those guys who insists stories are meaningless in fighting games, but I think I'm more interested in the story and lore of ARMS than the actual combat. I genuinely want to know what insane world Nintendo has crafted

I really like this character and I like the way the game is shaping up, but the players they're using for these trailers aren't doing it for me. After seeing the invitational at Tokaigi and some of the off camera footage of people playing ARMS at Switch tour events, the trailers just looks like people flailing aimlessly when the game seems to have more to offer.

Helix reminded me of him.

card_1010600_character.png

Interesting character his play style seems to counter attacks by stretching himself which is interesting. Game is turning out nicely.

Plum

Personally I prefer Helix. Not a fan of Spring Man or Ribbon Girl's name, either. Wish more were like Mechanica.

I forgot about those names. Hmm, I suppose ___ Man/Girl/Woman is a way of differentiating between who's human and who's an ARMS...thing. Makes me wonder if we're gonna see another human besides Mechanica.

Well there's both Ninjara and Minmin with Master Mummy kind of being in the middle. I'm thinking Nintendo wants to keep the ____ Man/Girl naming scheme for just the game's "main" characters.

Yeah this makes me curious if Helix is actually using negative edge in a way; he stretches up high when you hold the jump button, and only leaves the ground when the jump button is released, is how I think it works (not confirmed). It looks like his feet are planted on the ground while stretched up, but this lets him attack around corners without exposing his body too much (and also lets him dodge very quickly in the air). And I guess his "dash" is him sinking into the ground, which makes him a smaller target and lets him avoid certain attacks from underneath.

What I'm more interested in are two specific fists that show up in this trailer though.

The electric shield fist looks like it's going to be annoying. Slow fireballs in other fighting games are an excellent tool for limiting an opponent's movement options, and I think the electric shield will work similarly here. It has a slow travel time though, so it makes more sense to get in close to throw it out. Using it from a far distance means it will take forever to get anywhere near the enemy, which would mean you're down an arm for no meaningful reason for awhile.

The bouncy fist has two properties that I'm curious about:
1. Is it meaningful that it bounces across the field?
2. What happens to the enemy while the blue stuff is covering their head?

So the effect of Water type ARMs when charged is to place a blinding blob of water on the opponent's head.

Also it doesn't appear that he can jump by default but can only do so after shifting to one of his other heights, so that's his semi-downside in that his jumping ability is limited...sort of.

I also noticed that he doesn't seem able to dash and when stretched up his legs stay in place, so my prediction is that the Dash button will instead shift him to his squish stance where he's low to the ground and can still move and Jump will put him in his stretch stance where he can't move and instead wobbles in place to evade. Looking at the video I'd imagine one Dash button press squishes him low and you can cancel it with another Dash or jumping out of it. Might just be the limitations of the video not showing everything but it doesn't look like he can cancel the stretch stance back to normal and instead must jump out of it. This fits my theory that jump activates the stance but it might be possible that Dash will cancel the stance back to normal.

So if I'm guessing right, he can't dash and there's a delay on his ability to jump but has exceptional ground evasion. Conversely this could mean getting him in the air is the best time to pressure or punish him.

Edit: And there's the tweet. lol I took too long with my write up and watching the video.
I only saw your post after I typed up my post, but my speculation looks very similar to yours :p

The uncanny Valley vibe is now off the charts, this abomination is the most unnerving one to watch and hear.
Wtf is going on in this game, what is wrong with these freaks, why does Mechanica like and support this distortion of human life.

Freaking escaping a test tube, this shit is Jurassic Park. Everyone will die in a freak secret ending that you need to unlock after beating the game with all the characters twice.

The uncanny Valley vibe is now off the charts, this abomination is the most unnerving one to watch and hear.
Wtf is going on in this game, what is wrong with these freaks, why does Mechanica like and support this distortion of human life.

Freaking escaping a test tube, this shit is Jurassic Park. Everyone will die in a freak secret ending that you need to unlock after beating the game with all the characters twice.
The announcer guy is even more deformed and uncannu.. i mean he has a hand on his head

jwk94

Turns out the ARMS characters are fighting for their rights. This game needs a story mode.

massoluk

Banned
Turns out the ARMS characters are fighting for their rights. This game needs a story mode.
Man, now I hope this game has super dark story behind all the characters. Like everyone's arms were removed by force and then subjected to deathly gladiator match.

weekev

Banned
1. This game is gonna be huge
2. Cannot wait for the story and lore
This is my take too. How did he become helix? Was he born that way? Mutant? Experiments? Also how did they all get their arms so messed up? Did they choose to do that for the sport? Is it something they can change after the fight?

So many questions and we all know Nintendo has the deepest lore.

Top Bottom