• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beauty and The Beast "belle" spot with a lot less autotune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

Emma Watson has a nice singing voice, but this has way less energy than the animated version. Town feels less busy than it should be.

Lynd7

It's weird how the look of the film seems off, like its a cosplay version or something.

I can't put my finger on it, it gives off a weird low budget feel, while also obviously having great costumes etc. Maybe its the cinematography in this clip.

zeemumu

Emma Watson has a nice singing voice, but this has way less energy than the animated version. Town feels less busy than it should be.

I agree that it's a lot lower energy than the animated ones, but I feel like that's a more fitting attitude for someone who's stuck in a perpetual cycle of tedium in a town where people do nothing but gossip about you.

She's sick of their shit.

Litan

It's weird how the look of the film seems off, like its a cosplay version or something.

I can't put my finger on it, it gives off a weird low budget feel, while also obviously having great costumes etc. Maybe its the cinematography in this clip.

This was my thought while watching the clip.

So what did it sound like with the auto tune? I've missed that.

Sounded like T Pains beauty and the beast

The cartoon is my GOAT Disney movie so I'm both pleased to see this clip but also find the concept of this movie (and certainly that upcoming lion king) entirely redundant

Pretty hyped for the Gaston scene in the bar tho.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
argh give me more and give me it now

Seems good! I will say that they break up the singing a little much for my tastes, but I'm liking the way they're putting this together.

Eh. The original ramps up the energy as it goes, until you've got the huge crowds and cascading sound at the end of the song. If anything, there's more early action and this movement in this version.

If it isn't as busy and lively as the animated version by the time it ends, they've fucked up. The way they thread the townsfolk's gossip into the song at the climax is one of my favourite touches in the original.

Why's she just steal bread from that baker?

Why'd she shove a whole fruit down that donkeys throat?

Why'd she walk along the wall where those kids were doing stuff when the ground was clear right next to the wall?

Belle seems like an asshole.

If you were the Baker and you heard her singing about how shitty and boring your bread is every day, you wouldn't be as lively anymore as you consider your life choices and where they have lead you.

Wulfric

Pretty good, except for the "rolls to sell" part. She sounds a bit strained. Then again, who would expect her to outclass Paige O'Hara? No one.

UberTag

Why's she just steal bread from that baker?

Why'd she shove a whole fruit down that donkeys throat?

Why'd she walk along the wall where those kids were doing stuff when the ground was clear right next to the wall?

Belle seems like an asshole.
Being an asshole in a musical hasn't hurt that other Emma any. She's taking home the Oscar this weekend.

meijiko

I liked it, but the direction is a little... off? It's a little hard to figure out what we should be focusing on in some shots. There's also little sense of scale while we move through the town--how far is she going? How far has she gone?

Hard to tell from a 60sec clip, though. Can't judge the whole movie on it obviously.

Can't decide if I love or hate it, still got opening weekend tickets booked.

I still can't see past Emma Watson cosplaying as Belle rather than seeing Belle.

I didn't have that problem with Cinderella so it just makes me wish they had someone less recognisable as Belle.

Quick

Banned
Can we talk about how Belle just straight took the roll of bread?

Jasmine almost got her hand cut off for that. SMH double standards.

Kidding.

Firehead

This looks very good, can't wait to see it.

Can we talk about how Belle just straight took the roll of bread?

Jasmine almost got her hand cut off for that. SMH double standards.

Kidding.

She paid for it. She placed coin in the tin on his tray.

causan

Local theater did a run of this during Christmas and it was pretty awesome; the whole family loved it so we're excited to see how this one goes.

I just want to make the point of saying that the backhalf of this song picks up after the introduction of gaston... however it is slower at the start.

Busty

Banned
and less busty.

No wai, mang.

Not less busty.

More busty.

Busty for everyone.

tenor.gif

Her vocals have still been treated lots, it's just less obvious (but still there).

Hmmm. Still not really feeling non singers in these roles. Idk why they don't just get in actual singers and dub the songs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't remember that scene with the stupid school kids being in the original.

Wark

Oh, man! This video made me even more psyched for the movie! Growing up, my sister used to watch the original like every other day, so I basically know it by heart. It's probably in my top 5 favorite movies of all time now.

a lot less autotune
There is still tons of autotune. I assume you're comparing it to this TV spot, and I don't hear any major reduction. The main difference is that the new clip appears to be the complete audio, whereas the previous TV spot had separated the vocal track, so the pitch adjustments were really exposed. In the new clip, the vocal has been tucked away neatly into the score.

Also worth noting that the violins are literally playing the same notes as the vocal, which is a common way of disguising a weak voice. In the original, the strings do not play the melody at all, because O'Hara could carry the melody comfortably herself. The original score sounds much more delicate and reduced - the new version sounds awkward because the strings aren't acting as a natural accompaniment, instead they're being used to force the melody.

disappointed.gif

Never been a fan of Emma Watson's acting but I'm going into this with an open mind. More excited for Dan Stevens if anything, very underrated actor.

She isn't the greatest, but if the rest of this song is good and they do Gaston as good as it appears (in trailers and such) then I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom