• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beauty and The Beast "belle" spot with a lot less autotune

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionitron

So, I haven't seen any of these live action renditions of classic disney movies, so I didn't know they'd take the exact songs either.

.... it's almost uncanny seeing it all live-action tbh.

EktorOni

This looks so amateur-ishly put-together (acted, directed and produced), I can't believe it's actually releasing in less than a month. Wish Disney would make the same ruckus with this as it did with what made the Rogue One reshoots happen.

Not even the production design looks good. :/ Wonder what happened here, as Bill Condon has churned out competent stuff throughout his career as director.

This looks so amateur-ishly put-together (acted, directed and produced), I can't believe it's actually releasing in less than a month. Wish Disney would make the same ruckus with this as it did with what made the Rogue One reshoots happen.

Not even the production design looks good. :/ Wonder what happened here, as Bill Condon has churned out competent stuff throughout his career as director.

Yeah, Bill did a great job adapting Dreamgirls to the screen, I think it's just the difficulty of translating an animated classic musical to live action while simultaneously making it unique enough on its own despite the animated version being perfect.

Rydeen

Yeah that's what I thought. Musicals should be choreographed, and not just dancing, but the camera should be constantly flowing and moving around the performers, giving everything some energy, the townspeople should crowd every shot bustling around the town and belle in the morning routines. The weird cuts and static camera shots don't work at all, it has less energy than the animated version, which has so much energy and detail in every shot.

Kayhan

98ea557662ffd92d5e7cc9a569d55a28.jpg

I still can't see past Emma Watson cosplaying as Belle rather than seeing Belle.

I didn't have that problem with Cinderella so it just makes me wish they had someone less recognisable as Belle.

Thank you, because I was trying to figure out what one of my issues with this film was, and this sums it up rather well.

Having said that, the animated Beauty and the Beast is my all time favorite Disney film, so I am going to be extremely picky and critical of this one. But, Cinderella is 2nd (or at least top 5) for me for favorite Disney films, and I absolutely loved what they did with that one.
Been thinking that as long as they take the Cinderella approach with this and just keep it simple and straight forward without fucking with it too much, it will be great.

Idk I'm still not entirely sold. It just looks like they're trying to make the original movie beat for beat but the performances just look and sound stilted from everything I've seen.

Edit: ^Yeah this too.

So is this just a 1 to 1 copy of the animated film? It does nothing interesting?

basically Disney's MO going forward with these movies. look forward to the exact same Lion King but in CGI sans Hans Zimmer/Elton John music. :(

did they write some new songs for this or what? the OG had some classics but it would be cool to hear one more from Gaston.

Crazyorloco

Lacks energy. Those pauses in the song kill it...The moments lack enthusiasm In them. Everyone looks great though. Well dressed.

Call me crazy, but I feel like the acting is better in the original movie. Feels more organic.

I fear for the Lion King now.

what's my reasoning for not just watching the animated one instead

That's my thinking now. I guess it's to see some nice looking scenes. Belle In the original is hotter than Emma Watson to me.

I hope there's something in this version that really makes it special.

DOWN

Banned
what's my reasoning for not just watching the animated one instead
I think live action Cinderella and Jungle Book are absolutely as worthwhile as the animated originals. Cinderella maybe moreso - it blasted my empathy through the roof.

I think live action Cinderella and Jungle Book are absolutely as worthwhile as the animated originals. Cinderella maybe moreso - it blasted my empathy through the roof.

Cinderella did a great service to the stepmother. They didn't try and make her sympathetic or a misunderstood villain in it, but you could completely understand where she was coming from. She was still a shitheel, but you at least knew her perspective for being a shitheel.

Also,the live action one sold the prince falling for Cinderella much better than the animated film. Their first meet cute in the woods during the hunt was great, and it was obvious why Kit would immediately be smitten with Ella.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I hope they do the songs "Gaston" and "Kill the Beast" justice.

Man, I'm completely OK if they do a close shot for shot remake of the cartoon.

This is different than the shot for shot Psycho remake was if that makes any sense.

Love it.

Although, I agree, can't wait for the Gaston song!

Ha! There's going to be so many parents in the audience singing along with the movie while their kids look at them embarrassed.

bounchfx

saw an 8 minute preview (including this clip) at disney this week, and it completely 180'd me on the movie. I was super hesitant but after seeing the preview I'm there day 1. Looks like they're doing an amazing job with the film.

saw an 8 minute preview (including this clip) at disney this week, and it completely 180'd me on the movie. I was super hesitant but after seeing the preview I'm there day 1. Looks like they're doing an amazing job with the film.
Can I ask if it was a full 8 minute cut from the film, or was it different scenes spliced together?

Tyaren

Thank God, that sounds so much better. The autotune in one of the recent trailers was imo unbearable. What were they thinking? Watson doesn't even need it.

Matt

Was the editing this bad in the full clip?

Ha! There's going to be so many parents in the audience singing along with the movie while their kids look at them embarrassed.

Oh my god, you're right. haha.

I always find myself singing along at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Live Beauty and the Beast Stage show at Disney World, but I mean, I think everyone is there. :)

This will be fun though!

beril

Haven't seen Jungle Book but Cinderella felt very much like its own thing despite some obvious influences of the animated version, whereas here every scene shown so far seems to be directly lifted from the original.

It's weird that, even though this scene has no CGI, I still get a sense of the uncanny valley from it. Something about the synced actions, costuming, and editing just feels off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom