• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beauty and The Beast "belle" spot with a lot less autotune

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawly

i think so but either way kristen would be a bad pick too

getting non singers to sing is not a good idea for songs like these. they DESERVE better

Anne Hathaway would've been my choice.

x8.png

Incredible singer too.

clav

Blatantly-CGI clock tower. Cut to animatronic shutters that open while the actress behind them isn't actually touching them. "Bonjour" in unnatural poses while not reacting to each other like actual human beings. Then, lifeless steady-cam medium shots in obvious soundstage with flat lighting as Belle sings. Season to taste with disjointed, uninteresting cuts which fail to provide scene continuity.

Continue with awful blocking, cinematography, editing, and direction. I mean, in the short dialog scene at this point alone:

• No body language to establish that that dude had lost something before Belle mentions it.
  • "I'm sure it'll come to me..."/"Where are you off to?" It's not like anyone wants to see the character who's speaking. Instead, lets show...
  • The worst shot/reverse-shot ever seen in a major motion picture. (Seriously? That's the take you used? Hope the defocused back of that dude's head got top billing on this...)
  • When did Belle pick up/take out whatever she fed that donkey?
  • Crappy cinematography when Belle fed the donkey means the editor has to bandaid the scene with a closeup to show that she fed something to said donkey. (Also, the donkey is now the only character to get a closeup in this clip.)
  • "To return this book[...]" This line delivery...yeesh. It's not like one of Belle's few concrete character traits is her bibliophillia, or anything. Also...
  • What book? The one you're not holding? Prop department couldn't find one?
  • "Sounds boring." Character with the visually distinctive, expressive face delivers a comedic one-liner with an amusing expression, and they go for the medium-long shot instead of a closeup. Brilliant.
Yeah... This does not look good.

Bonus: Just IMDB'd the Director/DP/Editor. Their body of work is... not inspiring. Why is Disney letting these people anywhere near their super-lucrative princess properties?

There is still tons of autotune. I assume you're comparing it to this TV spot, and I don't hear any major reduction. The main difference is that the new clip appears to be the complete audio, whereas the previous TV spot had separated the vocal track, so the pitch adjustments were really exposed. In the new clip, the vocal has been tucked away neatly into the score.

Also worth noting that the violins are literally playing the same notes as the vocal, which is a common way of disguising a weak voice. In the original, the strings do not play the melody at all, because O'Hara could carry the melody comfortably herself. The original score sounds much more delicate and reduced - the new version sounds awkward because the strings aren't acting as a natural accompaniment, instead they're being used to force the melody.

disappointed.gif

Thank you.

Piano accompanists to instruments + vocalists can help people audition/perform by filling in notes when they notice their partners are struggling with memory slips or missed notes.

This track has violins covering vocal parts, so nothing misses when any of the singers do not sing in key.

I was skeptical about Watson from the start and this brief clip does nothing to alleviate my concerns. While her voice sounds decent enough she lacks the emotion and nuance when singing that Paige O'Hara had in the original version. Then there is her horribly distracting eye brow acting that looks like the bastard child of Steven Seagal and Emilia Clarke. Finally, she seems to be trying to sounds French in some of her line readings while reverting to her English accent at other points. It was bad enough I was getting Christopher Lambert in Highlander vibes. She needs to pick an accent and stick with it.

Still due to my love of the source material, the always great Dan Stevens and an awesome supporting cast, this will be a must see even if Watson is a pretty weak Belle.

jett

D-Member
There is still tons of autotune. I assume you're comparing it to this TV spot, and I don't hear any major reduction. The main difference is that the new clip appears to be the complete audio, whereas the previous TV spot had separated the vocal track, so the pitch adjustments were really exposed. In the new clip, the vocal has been tucked away neatly into the score.

Also worth noting that the violins are literally playing the same notes as the vocal, which is a common way of disguising a weak voice. In the original, the strings do not play the melody at all, because O'Hara could carry the melody comfortably herself. The original score sounds much more delicate and reduced - the new version sounds awkward because the strings aren't acting as a natural accompaniment, instead they're being used to force the melody.

disappointed.gif

hermione EXPOSED

It's totally bland. The only thing it inspires in me is 'oh yeah, member that great Disney animated film, one of the greatest films of all time? Here's a lesser remake.

I don't mind her singing. That's the only positive thing about it.

catbird

Neo Member
The scene where she is clunking over the wall where the girls are cleaning underwear remind me of It's A Hard Knock Life.

Also why do they have her stomping through town? Belle was distracted, but graceful.

Boem

I know I'm not the audience this is aimed at, but nothing I've seen from these live action Disney remakes seems like it's any good. I'd even call it slightly embarrassing if I wanted to be unkind.

jett

D-Member
It's totally bland. The only thing it inspires in me is 'oh yeah, member that great Disney animated film, one of the greatest films of all time? Here's a lesser remake.

I don't mind her singing. That's the only positive thing about it.

The best thing The Jungle Book movie did was being highly different from the original. But then again the animated movie is kind of a cheapo production and isn't as highly regarded as BaTB either. Live action movies of the Disney Renaissance are gonna have a hard-ass time living up to the originals.

Good fucking luck to Jon Favreau attempting to beat this.

opricnik

Banned
Every single one of these from Disney has been a big success, why would this be any different?

Honestly it seems likely to be the highest grossing one so far.

If by bomb you mean blow up and make a gazillion dollars, then yeah.

It's a Disney movie.

This looks like a very obvious set, and a small one at that. I'd like to see some grander shots of the town.

Let's revisit this comment in about three months.

This will be huge. If Jungle Book can make over 300 million domestic and over a billion worldwide, just wait and see what this will do.

Bookmarking for whose gonna eat crow.

Lucreto

It's going to do The Jungle book live action numbers easily.

I plan on seeing it just because I loved the original and I don't usually go to the cinema.

You are going to get more people seeing this movie than normal. You are getting parents who bought the movie back in 1992. The kids at the time who loved the movie and not those kids kids will see it.

Majora

The editing in this movie seems all over the place. In this clip, between the 8-10 second mark, what are we meant to be looking at? Whatever LeFou is doing is obscured by people in the crowd. We're just looking at a dead shot of the room while the character who is singing and who our focus should be on is swallowed up.

It feels like someone with no musical experience is directing this, they don't seem to know how to move the camera and characters with the music simultaneously. It looks static and poorly edited.

GCX

This movie is still so strange to me. It's so similar to the original that I don't really know what's the point.

Cinderella for instance followed the same story beats as the original but otherwise it had its distinct direction that was very different from the animated version (and it dropped the musical stuff altogether). Beauty and the Beast seems to be the exact same movie with some slightly different shots and a little additional content.

x8.png

Incredible singer too.

aww man, now I'm even more annoyed at the emma watson casting.

anyways that Gaston song clip sounds about right. can't help but feel everything about this just seems like an airless remake though. it lacks the energy that the cartoon had.

Josh Gad looks appropriately like the biggest shit ever as LeFou though. basically all the casting is pretty money except Belle.

x8.png

Incredible singer too.

Yeah, she's gorgeous and would have suited the part, but she's probably 5-10 years older than Disney was looking for.

Bookmarking for whose gonna eat crow.

Go ahead; we'll see who's wrong. I expect this will be a massive success (even if it doesn't review particularly well) and the floor is probably around what Cinderella made; just shy of $600 million. Its upper end is probably around Frozen levels if it really takes off with young girls.

opricnik

Banned
I take it that you haven't been following the buzz on this film: http://deadline.com/2017/02/beauty-and-the-beast-advance-ticket-sales-fandango-1201900858/

It's widely expected to break $400M domestic. The gross you seem to think that it's heading toward to qualify as a bomb will likely be passed on its opening weekend.

I still think it will die down pretty hard and be forgotten under other movies. I hope Logan gets deadpool 2 effect and this soulless remake gets nothing

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I still think it will die down pretty hard and be forgotten under other movies. I hope Logan gets deadpool 2 effect and this soulless remake gets nothing

Dude this thing has a shot at becoming the new #3 box office champ of all time, unadjusted. Just take the L already.

jett

D-Member
Dude this thing has a shot at becoming the new #3 box office champ of all time, unadjusted. Just take the L already.

Why does he have to take anything? It might yet crash and burn on the second weekend DC style!

Seriously though, I don't think it has any chance whatsoever at reaching $2 billion.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Why does he have to take anything? It might yet crash and burn on the second weekend DC style!

Seriously though, I don't think it has any chance whatsoever at reaching $2 billion.

Yeah, for some reason I went crazy for a moment and thought Alice was #3 domestic, but it's nowhere close. Regardless, it's going to be a massive hit. There's no way to spin this movie (which I have absolutely no interest in) as anything other than a gigantic success.

And I feel bad for the haters, because Disney's live action adaptation pipeline includes The Lion King, Dumbo (Tim Burton), Sword in the Stone, Aladdin, a prequel to Aladdin about how the Genie got in the lamp called ”Genies," a Cruella de Vil origin story called ”Cruella," Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan (staaahhp), Pinocchio, Jungle Book 2, Maleficent 2, Snow White, Rose Red, Little Mermaid, James and the Giant Peach, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, and a movie about Chernabog the demon from Fantasia.

If people thought the MCU was oversaturated, buckle up.

Speevy

Banned
I love Disney movies, but this looks like a bunch of poor decisions were made, mainly with how each scene is being interpreted.

It just comes off as weird and not at all magical or charming.

Yeah, for some reason I went crazy for a moment and thought Alice was #3 domestic, but it's nowhere close. Regardless, it's going to be a massive hit. There's no way to spin this movie (which I have absolutely no interest in) as anything other than a gigantic success.

And I feel bad for the haters, because Disney's live action adaptation pipeline includes The Lion King, Dumbo (Tim Burton), Sword in the Stone, Aladdin, a prequel to Aladdin about how the Genie got in the lamp called “Genies,” a Cruella de Vil origin story called “Cruella,” Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan (staaahhp), Pinocchio, Jungle Book 2, Maleficent 2, Snow White, Rose Red, Little Mermaid, James and the Giant Peach, Chip ’n Dale Rescue Rangers...

Yeah, a good amount of those have potential to be big hits, hopefully Disney does something really out there and craz-
...and a movie about Chernabog the demon from Fantasia.
RDJ_Woah_zps7e026cce.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom