• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Cartoon Network Show featuring Elijah Wood:Over the Garden Wall Premiering F 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAoGfY32kL0
So a great cast, created by the creative director of Adventure Time who also happens to be a former storyboard artist on the amazing world of flapjack, awesome character designs, this show looks great. Just found out about this, very excited.
over-the-garden-wall.jpg

Its giving me that Misadventures of Flapjack vibe.

EDIT: Looked up the wiki page

Over the Garden Wall is created by Patrick McHale, a former storyboard artist for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

No wonder.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hmm, looks interesting. Could be good.
Or it could be like Uncle Grandpa... we'll have to see

If it's half as good as Adventure Time, I'll give it a shot. I never watched Flapjack when it was airing, but I'm assuming it's decent?

Madrin

The art style looks really cool. I also like that the animation has kind of a hand-drawn feel to it like older cartoons.

Hamlet

Interview with the show's creator Patrick McHale.

The ten-episode mini-series blends fantasy, comedy, and the sensibilities of a Victorian fable into one seriously dreamy package. Judging by what I’ve seen in the trailer, Over the Garden Wall is absolutely beautiful with an aesthetic that recalls everything from Miyazaki to Adventure Time, but manages to still have a style all its own. With an all-star voice cast and a proud animation pedigree, Over the Garden Wall feels like a bold experiment into self-contained narrative programming for Cartoon Network, which will air the series over the course of five nights beginning on November 3 at 7 PM.

Each episode contains a new location and set of characters, so there’s a lot of stuff packed into the series. If you don’t like one episode, you may like the next one. You can definitely watch the series multiple times and find new things. It’s sort of built for that. It’s a collector’s edition set to put in your locked bookcase.

It’s a self-contained story, with a definite end. I don’t think there’ll be any more, but who knows. As I said before, there are plenty of scraps. But most scraps stay in the heap.
Nerdist
Also first two episodes have leaked and are out there.

I didn't realize this was a miniseries with a definite end. I was worried about the premise of trying to find home being stretched out, so I'm happy to hear that.

I watched the clip and the first two episodes leak, and I really am looking forward to the rest of it. The best way to describe it is a mixture of Tove Jansson and Washington Irving. The use of music is also more fitting than it was in McHale's Adventure Time stuff, since it goes well with the rural folktale ambience. So, if you like wistful and atmospheric cartoons like Ichabod and Mr. Toad, check it out!

Hamlet

Yeah that was really sweet and charming. Loved the use of songs throughout the show.
Also gotta say they did a fantastic job in regards to the lighting and background art for the show.

Grabbed it off itunes.

This show is incredible! Where do I start? The beautiful throwback to classic animation in its songs and visuals? The tight character writing? The rare type of satisfying climax the elevates all of the story that came before?

Of course, I had a few minor problems, with some songs being overly long and the episodic nature of the first half saving all the big plot stuff for later, but those are pretty much just personal preferences as opposed to real concrete flaws, especially given that the very episodic Chapter 2 is one of my favorites. I recommend it to just about everybody.

Just please tell your friends this exists.

Grabbed it off itunes.

This show is incredible! Where do I start? The beautiful throwback to classic animation in its songs and visuals? The tight character writing? The rare type of satisfying climax the elevates all of the story that came before?

Of course, I had a few minor problems, with some songs being overly long and the episodic nature of the first half saving all the big plot stuff for later, but those are pretty much just personal preferences as opposed to real concrete flaws, especially given that the very episodic Chapter 2 is one of my favorites. I recommend it to just about everybody.

Just please tell your friends this exists.

Indeed! Some very good performances from Christopher Lloyd, Tim Curry and John Cleese as well. I hope CN continues to let creators experiment with the miniseries format.

Actual Spoilers
I can see why people might be upset by the Wonderland/Oz-like dream framing. Though the modern-day sections are pretty universal and could easily be reworked into the rest of the show's pseudo 19th century timeframe. The resolution to the Woodsman's side of the story is more than satisfying, so the nature of reality isn't an issue.

Curiocity

This looks adorable! Haven't watched the leaked eps yet, but even if I don't like it (unlikely) it's just so refreshing to see a new cartoon depart from the schlocky garbage we've had lately. Gives me hope for the future.

Indeed! Some very good performances from Christopher Lloyd, Tim Curry and John Cleese as well. I hope CN continues to let creators experiment with the miniseries format.

Actual Spoilers
I can see why people might be upset by the Wonderland/Oz-like dream framing. Though the modern-day sections are pretty universal and could easily be reworked into the rest of the show's pseudo 19th century timeframe. The resolution to the Woodsman's side of the story is more than satisfying, so the nature of reality isn't an issue.

What. Okay wow, I have to watch this.

What. Okay wow, I have to watch this.

Yeah, I noticed Cleese and Curry while watching (they both did great) but didn't realize Christopher lloyd was in it until after. His character was fantastic, so it wasn't a surprise at all. This show has some incredible casting, just about everyone nails their roles, whether they're a regular or just there for an episode.

Enoch
in episode 2 is one of my favorite characters in the whole series. His VA was godly.

Am I the only one who kind of got a Studio Ghibli vibe from this?

No. It reminds me a lot of spirited away.

I downloaded the first episode from iTunes yesterday and it's just been sitting on my iPhone mocking me, unwatched. ARGH. This looks so good and the impressions have me so excited...

Jme

Am I the only one who kind of got a Studio Ghibli vibe from this?

No, it was one of my first thoughts. I think a lot of it has to do with the color palette they went with, very soft colors in comparison to the very bright palettes found in most cartoon shows these days (Clarence, Teen Titans Go, etc.)
Also the slower pace, while remaining whimsical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom