• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Cartoon Network Show featuring Elijah Wood:Over the Garden Wall Premiering F 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Talk about my favorite new show. Holy hell. I'm mad at myself for only finding out about it today. Must watch everything!

Hamlet

Talk about my favorite new show. Holy hell. I'm mad at myself for only finding out about it today. Must watch everything!
It's great isn't it. Easily the best new show on Cartoon network this year.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Very curious to check it out!
You won't regret it. Such a sweet and charming show.
I guarantee that you'll be humming some of the songs for quite a while.

Mononoke

Banned
It's great isn't it. Easily the best new show on Cartoon network this year.

You won't regret it. Such a sweet and charming show.
I guarantee that you'll be humming some of the songs for quite a while.

Damn, I just realized it's a mini-series, and the 5 chapters I bought on iTunes IS IT. I guess I'm kind of okay with that. I actually kind of dig short ended series vs. long drawn out (Adventure Time). But I also heard the ending is awful.

Oh no. Guess I'll try to finish it today.

Hamlet

Damn, I just realized it's a mini-series, and the 5 chapters I bought on iTunes IS IT. I guess I'm kind of okay with that. I actually kind of dig short ended series vs. long drawn out (Adventure Time). But I also heard the ending is awful.

Oh no. Guess I'll try to finish it today.

I found the ending was fine enough but then again the LOK book 2 finale didn't bother me as much as others ha so take that into consideration.
Still I hope we get more animated mini series from CN in the future.

Tuck

First episode was alright, but I wasnt enamoured with it.

The little kid makes Bolin from LoK seem smart by comparison, and it kind of started to piss me off
Like when he hits the old man over the head during the beast attack, because of course thats a reasonable thing to do at that moment in time. Come on.

The style is nice, the first episode was surprisingly dark. But certainly not very funny.

EDIT: Second episode was much better.

Venture

Indeed! Some very good performances from Christopher Lloyd, Tim Curry and John Cleese as well. I hope CN continues to let creators experiment with the miniseries format.

Yeah hopefully Over the Garden Wall is successful enough that Cartoon Network green light more animated miniseries.
I really hope so too. I like this format of unfolding a story every day over the course of a week. With all the talented people on various shows at CN there should be no shortage of ideas.

Amir0x

Banned
Final two episodes air today.

Still can't stop humming Potatoes and Molasses.

Ohhh
We're going to the Pasture to meet Adelaide
and ask her if she has a way to send us back where we came from
I don't know who she is or how she is or when or why she is
but as for where she is she is where we will go
TO ADELAIDE
ADELAIDE
COME ON AND JOIN THE ADELAIDE PARADE

Crocodile

"Props" to the guy earlier in the thread who spoiled this "twist". It's something I probably could have figured on my own but the whole
"pay attention to how they speak"
was a pretty fucking clear giveaway :/

Venture

What a beautiful little show. The ending was sort of along the lines I was expecting.
What's up with the woodsman's daughter appearing at the end? Was she the beast? If so were there any hints as to why she became it?

Crocodile

So I guess the "Beast" was to represent Death or something? I probably need a rewatch or an in-depth analysis to make sure I catch all the metaphors, references and foreshadowing though.

Great mini-series though even if a lot of the modern day stuff left me a bit cold.

Venture

So I guess the "Beast" was to represent Death or something? I probably need a rewatch or an in-depth analysis to make sure I catch all the metaphors, references and foreshadowing though.

Great mini-series though even if a lot of the modern day stuff left me a bit cold.
My thinking was it represented despair. If you give up and give in to your despair the beast would take you, or maybe you would become a beast. Greg's positive attitude was keeping him and Wirt safe the whole time. Maybe. Definitely need to rewatch this.

Hamlet

Glowing AV Club Review for the series.

“Incredible” and “harrowing” are the strongest words to describe Over The Garden Wall, as each episodes bridges between warm fall colors to evoke comfort and comedy, and dark black and greys for terror and drama. Credit to art directors Nick Cross and Nate Cash, seamlessly able to bounce back and forth between the two color palettes, sometimes in the same episode, to reflect the mindsets or the characters, or the specific mood of the scene. Likewise for the music: each chapter comes with a perfectly tailored scores emphasizing the whimsy and mystery of the moment, composed by the ethnic folk band The Petrojvic Blasting Company.

With such a perfect blend of mood, atmosphere, story, and characterization, Over The Garden Wall’s ten episode run will leave you wanting more, but like every great fairy tale, it’s a story that knows when it’s over. In the midst of its run, though, viewers will no doubt be caught up in the show’s fantastic locales and its lessons. And like any great fairy tale, it’s one worth experiencing again and again.
A+

Hah. Just noticed that
The headstone that Greg and Wirt were hiding next to belonged to Quincy Endicott, the ol' Mad Unkie.
Also you can hear the train right at the end of the opening theme.

Opiate

Is there some place to watch these online? My girlfriend really enjoys Adventure Time. Might she like this?

Kreed

Amir0x

Banned
The show is tonally extremely different from Adventure Time, but yeah I think it's a good show Opiate she might like. Especially if you're a fan of vaudeville cartoons, dark children's fantasies mixed with a much more subdued charming sense of humour than she might be familiar with in AT. It shares some of the randomness and weirdness of humour with AT however.

Hamlet

Also agree with the points Amir0x stated. It's a really sweet and charming show with a lot of heart and has some fantastic songs littered throughout it. The background art is also gorgeous.

It depends on what your girlfriend likes about Adventure Time, but she will probably like this. If you have Cartoon Network you can watch the entire mini series here:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/over-the-garden-wall/video/episodes/index.html

Otherwise you can also watch the first episode here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wc1-q1CX_E

It's also available on Itunes and Amazon for more options.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
After watching this completely I have to say the closest thing I can think of to relate it to is Spirited Away (though references in it are as diverse as Alice in wonderland, Little Nemo, Hansel and Gretel, and the Wind in the willows) Overall it was a great Fall animated miniseries and I will definitely purchase this once it hits blue ray. I also got to say I'm happy CN is making well thought out shows like this.

Also you can hear the train right at the end of the opening theme.

Okay.... But did you also notice that
at the end when they show Lorna again she's reading a book called "Tome of the Unknown" which is what the original short which was the basis for Over the Garden Wall was called.

Mononoke

Banned
After watching this completely I have to say the closest thing I can think of to relate it to is Spirited Away (though references in it are as diverse as Alice in wonderland, Little Nemo, Hansel and Gretel, and the Wind in the willows) Overall it was a great Fall animated miniseries and I will definitely purchase this once it hits blue ray. I also got to say I'm happy CN is making well thought out shows like this.

Yeah spot on. This felt like a modern Alice in Wonderland. God it was so incredible. I loved every second of it.

But I have to talk about that ending:

First off, I didn't hate the ending at all. Like as an episode, I thought it was amazing. I loved how it showed Wirt in a modern world/setting. How it showed that all of his flaws and issues in the real world, were things that were slowly dealt with in the Unknown. So it was awesome to see Wirt's story play out, and then look back at who he was and how he came to be.

I also just found the narrative to be really powerful. I started to tear up when Wirt stared down the Beast and got his brother Greg back. And when the Woodsman did the same thing. That entire scene was eerie/and really emotional. At least, for me it was. There was just something about how they did the flashback leading up everything that just worked really well for me. I can't put my finger on it I guess from a narrative perspective. I remember LOST was sometimes really good at using this style of storytelling. But it just felt nice to pull back and look at these characters before the adventure as we were reaching the very end. I also dug how it was Halloween so it explained why Greg and his brother were dressed up.

THE ONLY gripe I have, is that I agree that the ending felt a tad bit rushed. Like, I wanted to see more of Beatrice. They really alluded to her story being powerful, and it kind of just got shrugged off at the end.

Also, I was a tad bit confused by the ending. So...Wirt and his brother got knocked out in the river. Their entire time in the Unknown -- that entire world with all those various creatures -- that was like Purgatory/ the afterlife? They were slipping between life and death? And the entire journey and story is Wirt not accepting death, therefore waking up and getting his brother to safety? So the journey itself, was just a metaphor for him slipping between life and death, and choosing to either get lost in the darkness, ie. die or continue to live?

If that is the case, then like...the woodsman and all those other people are dead, correct? That entire world does exist, but it's a place after the physical?

lol maybe I'm reading too much into it. I was just kind of confused how quickly they jumped from the Unknown back to the real world when he woke up. And then how the ending was a montage of various people from the unknown. I was just confused what the Unknown was and how it continued to exist. Obviously it does exist, and wasn't just his imagination. Or they wouldn't bother showing the Woodsman reuniting with his daughter, or Beatrice back with her family. Unless something went over my head with that, and that was the real world too (the montage at the end).

Not

Banned
Was the woodsman
in some kind of delusional or catatonic state for a number of years, thinking he was in "The Unknown," searching for his daughter, all while she was looking after him in the real world, waiting for him to "return?"
Or did I misunderstand?

Mononoke

Banned
Was the woodsman
in some kind of delusional or catatonic state for a number of years, thinking he was in "The Unknown," searching for his daughter, all while she was looking after him in the real world, waiting for him to "return?"
Or did I misunderstand?

Yeah see I'm confused a bit too. My understanding was that:

The unknown is the state between life and death. Wirt and Greg were dying as they were drowning. So their entire journey in the Unknown was them either accepting death, or pulling back and waking up. So the Woodsman must also be dead. Seeing as he's been there for a long time (well time doesn't really seem to be accurate there compared to the real world) -- but I just assumed Woodsman died. I guess you have a point that he too could have also been close to death and then woke up.

But the Woodsman and Beatrice didn't really seem to fit in the modern world setting. They looked from a different time/era, even at the end montage. So I assumed the montage at the end was still the Unknown. So beatrice and woodsman and everyone in it, were already dead. So to answer your question, Woodsman was basically chasing something that didn't exist, and in the end reunited with the soul of his daughter in the afterlife.

BUT...I could be wrong, and he took woke up. And that was them in the real world. I need to go back and re-watch that montage segment. If you paid attention though, their fake "uncle" in The Unknown, was actually dead. They saw his gravestone in the graveyard. So the Unknown is definitely a spiritual place after the physical.

Tuck

SO I finished - it was good, with moments of greatness but also a bunch of flaws.

The show gets surprisingly dark at times - the beast owns pretty much every scene he is in, and can be genuinely scary at times. Sort of like a darker version of the Lich from Adventure Time. The moments with the Woodsman were also a highlight, as he was constantly hinting towards where the show inevitably ended up.

The show has a nice style to it. In a way it reminded me of The Princess and the Frog movie. Sort of a... 1920's Louisiana ish feel that I really dug. Its creative, and at times super dark and atmospheric. Unfortunately the animation was super simplistic overall.

The show was this weird balance of a typical north american show and one trying to hold itself to a higher level. Unfortunately it was those standard north american elements that held the show back. Greg was awful. He wasn't funny, and he pretty much caused every single problem they faced. I get he is a kid, but he was remarkably lacking in... sentience? Like, he was so blissfully unaware of his surroundings for a large part of the series. There was some growth and self reflection towards the end, but overall I don't think he actually learned anything from the entire experience while I'm fairly certain Wert did.

The show was at its best when it was dark. The pumpkin man. The beast. The woodsman. The
girl trying to eat them (Great twist)
. But I think it was held back by trying to appeal to a demographic that I don't think the creators even wanted.

Yeah see I'm confused a bit too. My understanding was that:

The unknown is the state between life and death. Wirt and Greg were dying as they were drowning. So their entire journey in the Unknown was them either accepting death, or pulling back and waking up. So the Woodsman must also be dead. Seeing as he's been there for a long time (well time doesn't really seem to be accurate there compared to the real world) -- but I just assumed Woodsman died. I guess you have a point that he too could have also been close to death and then woke up.

But the Woodsman and Beatrice didn't really seem to fit in the modern world setting. They looked from a different time/era, even at the end montage. So I assumed the montage at the end was still the Unknown. So beatrice and woodsman and everyone in it, were already dead. So to answer your question, Woodsman was basically chasing something that didn't exist, and in the end reunited with the soul of his daughter in the afterlife.

BUT...I could be wrong, and he took woke up. And that was them in the real world. I need to go back and re-watch that montage segment. If you paid attention though, their fake "uncle" in The Unknown, was actually dead. They saw his gravestone in the graveyard. So the Unknown is definitely a spiritual place after the physical.

I think you were spot on Azula - I think Beatrice and the woodsman were both shown in the afterlife in the ending montage. At first, I wasn't happy with the Woodsman being reunited with his daughter as I felt it cheapened his action of blowing out the light. But if he was in fact dead, then it would make sense that he got to reunite with her in the afterlife.

Gotta say, I really liked the ending. The scene with
Wert and the beast was fantastic.

iddqd

I drew my favourite new character
tumblr_nel44mTlj91rx5coxo1_1280.jpg

I'm glad people like the show, things like this make working in animation fun and the future a bit more bright/interesting.

Venture

The show was this weird balance of a typical north american show and one trying to hold itself to a higher level. Unfortunately it was those standard north american elements that held the show back. Greg was awful. He wasn't funny, and he pretty much caused every single problem they faced. I get he is a kid, but he was remarkably lacking in... sentience? Like, he was so blissfully unaware of his surroundings for a large part of the series. There was some growth and self reflection towards the end, but overall I don't think he actually learned anything from the entire experience while I'm fairly certain Wert did.
It's interesting that your reaction to Greg is the exact opposite of mine. I feel Wirt would have been completely lost without Greg. He was the best part of the show for me.

The show definitely ended on a high note, and overall I really enjoyed the series.

My only real complaint is that a couple of details felt a bit rushed on occasion. I would have preferred if the show had been closer to 18 chapters like originally planned instead of ending up with only 10 chapters.

I'll be sure to give it a rewatch at some point to find all of the details I missed the first time around.

Absolutely loved it. It reminded me of Secret of Kells actually. Just with more rustic American folklore rather than Irish folklore. Same sense of melancholy with occasional humor and levity.

I do agree that the ending was a bit rushed though. Hopefully it comes out on Blu-ray, otherwise I'll buy it on iTunes.

LProtag

I went out and bought the comic special they released for it from my local comic book store.

Pretty good. It's a story that doesn't show up in the mini-series. Basically like another episode while they're on their journey.

Also it has sheet music for The Adelaide Parade in the back.

I really enjoyed this, despite some weaker episodes--I particularly wasn't that big a fan of episode 4 and episode 8 until the end of both. I loved the old-timey music and art, and how the story of the Woodsman and the Beast managed to really capture the mythical feel. I'll admit, I actually didn't see the events of episode 9 coming, and I was a bit disappointed at first, but I came to like it. I did find Greg to be really bothersome at times, particularly in the first episode and when he tossed away the two cents needed to take the ferry in episode 5, but he was enjoyable enough otherwise.

I do hope this is successful enough to allow Cartoon Network to experiment more with the miniseries format.

Gazoinks

Saw the first Chapter on Youtube and immediately bought and marathoned the whole thing. Wonderful show. That sort of whimsical-but-sinister dark children's fantasy is right up my alley.

I really hope this is successful enough to encourage CN to do this kind of thing more.

On the ending:
I hadn't really thought of The Unknown as purgatory, although that does make sense in retrospect. I honestly just sort of thought of it as some mysterious place that does exist, but is some kind of dream world Wirt and Greg ended up in after passing out. I believe The Beast is intended to represent despair. He can't actually do anything, but he constantly tries to get people to give up and turn into trees, like with all the impossible tasks he gave to Greg.

Great show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom