• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Cartoon Network Show featuring Elijah Wood:Over the Garden Wall Premiering F 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
This show is so good, it deserves a lot more popularity. If it releases on Bluray I would buy it instantly, and I'm not one to do that. I hope CN changes it's mind and releases it.

I think my favorite part of the show is the setting. A Mark Twainian fairy tale with some dark scenes and themes. The animation was top notch and I loved the design/voice/singing of The Beast. I'm not one for musicals, but I enjoyed all the songs thoroughly.

If you haven't watched this yet do yourself a favor watch it. It's only 10 episodes and it's the best cartoon to come out of 2014.
2nd place goes to Bee and Puppycat.

Hamlet

Over the Garden Wall DVD announced. No Blu-Ray though :(
Patrick McHale:
Over the Garden Wall DVD comes out Sept 8th! You can pre-order on Amazon or wherever you want!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119RZ67O/?tag=neogaf0e-20
This DVD will have a bunch of special features, which I'll be tweeting about in more detail at a later date!
tumblr_nrav0dUqKx1u38sj2o1_540.jpg

Over the Garden Wall DVD announced. No Blu-Ray though :(

Awesome. Definitely better than nothing.

Cartoon Network is weird with blu-ray. They release the Adventure Time seasons on it but everything else gets DVD. Regular Show Seasons 1 & 2 got a blu-ray release but the third season only got a DVD.

PaulloDEC

Blu-Ray or no sale godadmnit.

Pretty much. I'm glad they're releasing the show at all, but it's 2015 dammit. I shouldn't have to buy a beautifully animated show produced in full HD on a two-decade-old format in nasty-ass 720x576.

I don't care if they have to release it on no-frills discs in paper sleeves, I just want the episodes on blu-ray, presented at their best.

Hamlet

Looks like there'll no Over the Garden Wall Blu-ray :(
Patrick McHale:
From what I've heard it seems unlikely there will be a Blu-ray release.
Is otgw also coming out on bluray? Or should I just go ahead and preorder the dvd?
just dvd, from what i've been told.
For special features
One of the special features of the DVD is commentary by me & @ncrossanimation for the whole series. Will reveal more features at later date!

Also Over The Garden Wall had a little cameo in Clarence recently.
VPhD3jb.gif

tumblr_inline_nrt6damnxL1tq8esh_500.gif

More evidence to the theory that they both take place in the same universe heh.
tumblr_inline_nrt6lfi5Q91tq8esh_500.png

Pretty good.

Over the Garden Wall (entire series) nominated for an Emmy! It's the one show that isn't a comedy aimed at adults, but hopefully it has a chance.
Hope it wins it.

DVD bonus features announced.

• Behind Over the Garden Wall: Short making-of that includes cast interviews and recording session footage.
  • Original pilot: Tome of the Unknown
  • Alternate title cards
  • Deleted animatics
  • Commentaries by creator Patrick McHale and art director Nick Cross
  • Composer’s cut: Watch the whole series without dialog or sound effects, just music.

Yes! This is wonderful news. I've been desperately wanting a DVD of this so my family could watch it. I thought Cartoon Network would never do it.

From the composer's cut, the full version of "Come Wayward Souls", the song of the Beast. The part with the children singing isn't present in the previous official upload, and is talked over in the show itself.
I've never heard of this show until a few days ago. I saw this thread and decided to see what GAF thinks. So far it seems everyone loves it but this song has absolutely sold me. Is Over The Garden Wall streaming anywhere?

Psxphile

Over The Garden Wall will re-air on Cartoon Network in its entirety on Halloween, October 31st from 4:30pm to 6:30pm.

zap2it
tvguide (description is wrong)

Sure beats reruns of Scary Godmother.

EDIT: possibly correction but Pat McHale recently tweeted this.
So apparently they'll be airing the show all week, either 'instead of' or in addition to airing the full thing on Halloween (falls on a Saturday).

So, this was playing on CN today and my niece was watching it...

Sat down and didn't leave until I finished it. OtGW is incredible, I love the characters and the animation. Hopefully a Blu-ray release is announced!

Psxphile

Just to confirm, and because I thought it was interesting: OtGW aired all week in its entirety, and then Halloween night CN aired an abridged, 2-hour version.

-most of episode 1 was cut
-bits of episode 4 were also axed, mostly Beatrice scenes
-the entirety of episode 5, Mad Love, was tossed to the wind
-also some other stuff here and there

Not sure why they felt the need to do that, but oh well. Maybe they should have just aired the pilot Tomb of the Unknown instead (I really need to get around and watch that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom