• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Bar81

More gold from Atari Age:

Alleged "actual working controller prototype" RVGS controller:

lv341uft5vfqmjplghh6.png

The reality is that it is this controller:

51tKBIhk2kL.jpg

Their phrasing is kinda funny "Here is an actual working controller prototype..." But they've said several times before that they're using that manufacturer so no surprises there. The manufacturer is also making the corded versions specifically for the RVGS. They keep saying this solves that controller's infamous connection issues but there are tons of reviews that also complain about its fragility and analog sticks going dead. It has 2 star reviews on Amazon. Heck, just go to the first page of this thread and there's a post complaining about the controller.

Edit:

Also, to follow up on what I said last night, it was yesterday morning that the owner of Super Noah's Ark 3D said he was off the project, after SNA3D was not included in the campaign:
PikoInteractive, on 19 Sept 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

Yeah, actually Im glad.

Now we are out of this thing officially :D

Now if you really want to see something funny, Mike then asked to add more games from that guy's catalog:
PikoInteractive, on 20 Sept 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

Actually last night I got an email from Mike saying he was going to add some other of our games tomorrow. But I politely declined and told him we will not move forward with this project

So We are officially out. :D

We will concentrate in known retro platforms and digital distribution.

Hmmm, I wonder what happened to those "200 developers excited to have their games on a cartridge." In their last podcast Mike said "getting games on this system is the least of our problems."

Kawika

With all the bad feelings around the project I have to highlight something that I learned from their Indiegogo video. Video Game Geeks in Anaheim, CA is a great store. I had no idea about its existence and it was a short drive from my house.

The owner, Dave, is an awesome guy that loves games. I bought 3 NES games from him. The shop is clean and well organized. I met a chap from South London on vacation. His wife seemed annoyed but the guy was cool. We both discussed the RVGS and both of us basically said we were excited to back it but due to the lack of prototype andKevtris'comments made us wary of the project.

I wonder if that guy reads/posts on Gaf.

Just FYI, since I was subscribed and following this thread only, there was a new thread created once the campaign started.

It seems like that one needed no help from me to have common sense prevail. Like I said before, don't blame the critics. Real information is out there and just as readily available as the Kool-Aid the RVGS team gives out. If people are trying to make an informed decision, don't blame them or the people providing it.

Also, Kevtris made another wonderful post. I posted it in that thread here.

More gold from Atari Age:

Alleged "actual working controller prototype" RVGS controller:

lv341uft5vfqmjplghh6.png

The reality is that it is this controller:

51tKBIhk2kL.jpg

This has been known for months and is no secret. They've partnered with that manufacturer to make their controllers. It's apparently not a very good one, but I haven't personally used it.

Kawika

Just FYI, since I was subscribed and following this thread only, there was a new thread created once the campaign started.

It seems like that one needed no help from me to have common sense prevail. Like I said before, don't blame the critics. Real information is out there and just as readily available as the Kool-Aid the RVGS team gives out. If people are trying to make an informed decision, don't blame them or the people providing it.

Also, Kevtris made another wonderful post. I posted it in that thread here.

Thanks, I would have totally missed it.

Bar81

This has been known for months and is no secret. They've partnered with that manufacturer to make their controllers. It's apparently not a very good one, but I haven't personally used it.

That's horrible. Not sure how they're able to with a straight face claim "quality" if they're using that POS.

But that's no working prototype, it's a store-bought controller that even has the WiiU buttons

Yeah, I know. I'm just pointing out that the controller they're using has been known about for some time. It's literally going to be that third party Wii U Pro Controller shown above, just with some slight modifications.

Edit- Actually, it's not even a Wii U controller. It's a Classic Controller knockoff (for the original Wii).

rje

Yeah, I know. I'm just pointing out that the controller they're using has been known about for some time. It's literally going to be that third party Wii U Pro Controller shown above, just with some slight modifications.

Edit- Actually, it's not even a Wii U controller. It's a Classic Controller knockoff (for the original Wii).

It looks like a wired model - which I know isn't a big change but might actually be a prototype of the custom version? Not much to get excited about either way, really.

Leynos

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just wanted to send a thanks to NoFaceNico for sending the Ultraman collection for "winning" the bingo contest.

Am_I_Evil

wow...the indegogo is hemorrhaging money....there's no way they even come close....

edit: ahhhhhhh....just saw that they were shutting down early and told everyone to request refunds....

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Their homepage has undergone a major redesign! http://www.retrovgs.com/home.html

Launch titles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGEHWeSyPUM

The new Coleco Chameleon team:

Mike Kennedy, President. Mike is an entrepreneur through and through beginning with his first gaming website, GameGavel.com, which was started for a mere $800. To date, GameGavel.com is the only gaming and tech dedicated consumer marketplace and auction site. Over the years GameGavel has sold a variety of noteworthy gaming collectibles many of them reaching $10,000 to $30,000 sales figures. In 2013 Mike became a magazine publisher when he created RETRO Video-Game Magazine, a magazine dedicated to celebrating the past, present and future of retro/classic video-games. RETRO Video-Game Magazine is available nationwide in Barnes & Noble stores and has subscribers in over 30 countries. Mike will also utilize his over 25 year career in factory automation and lean manufacturing to oversee the production of the COLECO Chameleon.

Steve Woita, Hardware Conceptualization and Design. Steve Woita is a game industry icon and pioneer and has been employed by some of the industry's most notable companies like Atari, Apple, Sega, Nintendo, Electronic Arts, Activision, Tengen, Big Fish Games and The 3DO Company.

Paul Wylie, EVP & COO. Wylie is a solution-oriented senior executive with 20+ years of experience in operations management. With a track record of adapting to and delivering results in diverse and rapid growth businesses -- entertainment (Video Games and Home Video), CPG and food -- he has recognized experience building and leading teams in high growth environments such as Genius Products (Home Video for The Weinstein Company) and Activision.

Wylie is skilled at building, re-engineering and transforming operations to provide scalable, cost effective and efficient business solutions that are aligned with evolving business strategies and customer needs. With domestic and international experience, he has leveraged his supply chain, logistics, finance, IT, and customer service expertise to grow business while increasing profits, margins and cash flow.

A proven leader in organizations ranging from start-up to Fortune 500, Wylie also earned an MBA-Finance from Syracuse University and a BE-EE from Stevens Institute of Technology.

Phil Adam, VP Business Development. Phil has been an executive in the video gaming industry since he formed one of the earliest software companies, Spectrum Holobyte back in 1984. He has been involved in every aspect of a company including sales & marketing, development (product and business) as well as executive management including past President of Interplay. Instrumental in selling such properties/company such as Shiny, Fallout and Hunter. Past President of the Software Publishers Association. He is directly responsible for over 250 intellectual property licenses (including Tetris) and specializes in the licensing and acquisition of intellectual properties and the evaluation of properties and talent within the gaming industry.

Ben Herman, VP Sales. Mr. Herman has a career spanning 40 years in the video game industry with sales and senior management positions with Parker Brothers, Nintendo, Atari and SNK PLAYMORE. Recently he has been a consultant helping developers bring new ideas and I.P.’s to gaming platforms and is excited to use his experience and deep industry connections to help nurture a growing user base and a thriving game catalog on the COLECO Chameleon.

Steven J. Rosenbaum: Executive Creative Director. Rosenbaum has been an award winning Executive Creative Director for the Video Game Industry since 2003. Heading up and building video game divisions for some of the largest theatrical agencies in Hollywood. Steven has lead the charge creating full marketing campaigns for the largest worldwide game publishers including: Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Deep Silver, Crystal Dynamics, Bethesda, Disney Interactive and Sony PlayStation. Franchises include Far Cry, Assassin Creed, The Evil Within, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, Madden, Prototype, Uncharted and Dead Island to name a few. Steven has recently joined the executive team to help build the future list of growing titles and overseeing marketing initiatives for the Coleco Chameleon.

Steven has been passionate about video games since 1980 when he received an Intellivision while his father Peter Rosenbaum was editing a documentary with Mr. Intellivision himself George Plimpton. While owning pretty much every console and handheld ever created, the Colecovision is still his favorite system to date.

Team members listed: http://www.retrovgs.com/contact.html

Play the Coleco Chameleon at Toy Fair 2016! http://www.retrovgs.com/news-press.html

We will be demonstrating the COLECO Chameleon at Toy Fair NY from Saturday, February 13th - Tuesday, February 16th. If you are going to the fair, please make it a point to stop by the COLECO booth # 3057 located on the Tech/Interactive side of the floor, grab a controller and start playing. We hope to see you there!

tMjFnYP.png

HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, ultrazilla, it seems you were trolled.

They've come out and stated that it's not them, it's someone having fun.

The twitter handle has a website that links to this: http://colecochameleon.org/

Where you find a picture that was circulated as a joke and fake text over it that reads:

CARTRIDGES KEEP COMING BACK!

Todays's evening whirl on the vintage video game process we introduce a
seaming pile of crap.

Kawika

I thought today was the announcement of the CC KS. I guess its next Friday(the 26th). Did anyone get to see anything about it at the toy fair?

Top Bottom