• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crash Bandicoot game coming to all platforms?

Skyzard

Banned
Rayman did well, I think they realise shooters aren't everything these days (or that they don't need to worry as much) and will hopefully still be bringing us a decent Crash again, as well as PSASBR dlc :p

Takao

Banned
I'm guessing that that's a really early prototype, because that doesn't really look fun to play. I'd also rather have this game, of which at least the style and design would have been good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64GpLhbKcG4

I'm guessing the DS game by Renegade Kid was a tie-in to Crash 2010. They share a similar art style, and the timeline fits. The game was canceled, Radical's Crash team was shuttered and eventually the entire studio was too after Prototype 2 didn't do well.

DaBoss

Rayman did well, I think they realise shooters aren't everything these days (or that they don't need to worry as much) and will hopefully still be bringing us a decent Crash again, as well as PSASBR dlc :p

To be honest, Rayman did well due to it being good and receiving good word of mouth. Crash would need some goof effort for it to be like Rayman.

Do the post-Naughty Dog games even use the same music, charecters, enemy types and style of the original trilogy?

Sony should have just bought the charecter out right from Universal.

I'm guessing that that's a really early prototype, because that doesn't really look fun to play.

It doesn't, but it was probably intended more as a "Here's Crash running around in our free-roaming 3D platformer engine with impressive draw distance for the DS hardware" tech demo than as a sample of actual game content.

Do the post-Naughty Dog games even use the same music, charecters, enemy types and style of the original trilogy?

Sony should have just bought the charecter out right from Universal.

Wrath Of Cortex (2001) was Vicarious Visions/Traveler's Tales, and was essentially Crash 4. Level design wasn't great, but it was good enough. The first two GBA titles (also VV) used the same music and style and made them 2D platformers. Also pretty good.

Twinsanity was where it really started to divulge. Was a semi-open world platformer with an irritating accapella soundtrack and horrible NES throwback "Everything you touch hurts you" gameplay.

Joe Burton from TT Games revealed a while ago that Wrath of Cortex was originally a free-roaming game by Mark Cerny and published by Sony, but Universal dropped out and TT Games came in a had to redo everything from scratch into what we have now in 12 months.

Why could they not just have expanded on what Cerny did? I guess since it was multiplatform they couldn't legally do that? Naughty Dog is credited in Nitro Kart though...

That teaser looks super fake but if not, could it maybe have something to do with this?
zyU2ofB.jpg

Fireblend

Banned

Rayman did well because it was an incredibly well done game easily deserving of the GotY title... I don't see the same happening for Crash.

Takao

Banned
Joe Burton from TT Games revealed a while ago that Wrath of Cortex was originally a free-roaming game by Mark Cerny and published by Sony, but Universal dropped out and TT Games came in a had to redo everything from scratch into what we have now in 12 months.

Why could they not just have expanded on what Cerny did? I guess since it was multiplatform they couldn't legally do that? Naughty Dog is credited in Nitro Kart though...

Do you have a link to this? I googled and came up empty handhed.

UrbanRats

How can people like Crash Bandicoot? I've played Crash 1 and 3, and although the games were fun, i always hated that character design, what a punchable smug fuck face.

Thank God Naughty Dog moved over to Jak & Dexter on ps2 (although Jak 2 went in a weird place, too).

sappyday

How can people like Crash Bandicoot? I've played Crash 1 and 3, and although the games were fun, i always hated that character design, what a punchable smug fuck face.

Thank God Naughty Dog moved over to Jak & Dexter on ps2 (although Jak 2 went in a weird place, too).

tumblr_m73n6oYHSv1r9zgz4o1_250.gif

That teaser looks super fake but if not, could it maybe have something to do with this?
zyU2ofB.jpg

To whoever is in charge of the Crash franchise:

please stop

Crash Bandicoot was FAR superior to jak & daxter

Trike

zyU2ofB.jpg

Not fake, but old iirc. I think it was around a year ago or so when that design first surfaced. It was in a photo of a developer's work area. Design isn't too bad, but reminds me a lot of the famitsu mascot.

pantsmith

Crash died with the original playstation.

Anything post-Naughty Dog is one of the real Crash's nightmares given physical form.

Takao

Banned
Not fake, but old iirc. I think it was around a year ago or so when that design first surfaced. It was in a photo of a developer's work area. Design isn't too bad, but reminds me a lot of the famitsu mascot.

Yeah, according to that Crash Mania site:

"That Crash poster was from a cancelled Crash game from a really long time ago. I never saw that game in action (it was before my time), so I don't know any details about what it was about."

Do you have a link to this? I googled and came up empty handhed.

So sorry, here you go!

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/11640/Playing_Catch_Up_Travellers_Tales_Jon_Burton.php

This became even more clear in 2001, when the company worked with Universal Interactive for Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. “[It] was meant to be designed by Mark Cerny, who designed all the others, and published by Sony,” says Burton. “Vivendi/Universal fell out with them and we had to go from a free roaming game to a standard Crash game with a reduced time-line - 12 months - and having to design the game ourselves from scratch.”

Ugh, why did you bump this thread?...

i dont normally like to point out that juniors are juniors, but i feel like whenever an old thread is bumped with no new news, its because a junior just got approved and wanted to comment.

that said, i just this evening finished crash 2 for the first time. i played the first one in like 1997, so it only took me 16 years to get to the sequel. i wonder how old ill be when i play 3.

I agree. Crash is just a straight up awful character. He was Dreamworks before Dreamworks existed.

As far as animal mascots go, he's worse than Bubsy even.

Radec

Was there a rule for bumping 1month old threads ?

Dunno whats the big deal.

Anyway, i hope we get another CTR before this gen ends.

Top Bottom