• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Site Launches - Lots of new footage and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

The setting, the story, isn't creative? The enemies aren't creative? The landscapes, from what we've seen, aren't creative? There's also this.

What a strange comment.

There will always be someone that hates the game. There will be. No matter how creative and interesting it will be there will be. I was talking to someone this week about that very fact and told them point blank that no matter what Bungie does there will be someone who calls it generic, there will always be someone who complains it's not like COD, and there will be someone who complains because the graphics aren't photo realistic. It never fails. There just will be.

I have no doubt I'm going to enjoy it. Bungie hasn't let me down yet and I don't think they're going to now.

Destiny-Concept-Art-Tank-and-Soldiers-1024x576.jpg

Hope these Fallen types make it in the game.

What do you mean? We have already seen all of those units, unless I am mistaken.

EDIT: Maybe its the bigger cape?

Do we know what time tomorrow they are dropping the goods? I believe the original Destiny reveal was around 1pm est but that does not mean a whole lot now.

What do you mean? We have already seen all of those units, unless I am mistaken.

EDIT: Maybe its the bigger cape?
Yeah the whole snow attire. These Fallen to me look like some badass futuristic Orcs from Middle Earth. I dig snow envirnments too, 2 Betrayals and Assault on the Control Room from Halo will forever be my favorite campaign missions

Fracas

#fuckonami
When's the embargo up tomorrow?

Can't wait for this game. Probably going to take up most of my fall. The GAF parties will be glorious.

Mikey Jr.

Remember that old contract that got leaked a year ago?

Anyways, I was looking it over again, and they talked as if Destiny 1 was essentially going to be a timed exclusive for a year for the Xbox.

I wonder how it went from timed exclusive to Xbox, to the leading platform being the PS4.

Yeah, I know moenyhats and all that. I wonder if Titanfall had anything to do with it. I wonder if Bungie also had a vote on what platform they wanted to lead.

Anyways, I was looking it over again, and they talked as if Destiny 1 was essentially going to be a timed exclusive for a year for the Xbox.

I wonder how it went from timed exclusive to Xbox, to the leading platform being the PS4.

Yeah, I know moenyhats and all that. I wonder if Titanfall had anything to do with it. I wonder if Bungie also had a vote on what platform they wanted to lead.

The contract requirements were nothing more than a "cover your ass clause". They weren't locked-in to exclusivity at all, it was just something to protect Bungie, a studio with limited resources, on being able to deliver the product on certain key platforms without violating their agreement with Activision.

My guess is that during the latter part of 2012, when developers started getting next-gen dev kits, that Bungie realized the architecture of the PS4 wouldn't be a complex mess for them to try and navigate and dedicate resources to. As a result, the PS4 version at launch was inevitable, and I'm sure during the past few years Sony has been working closely with Activision and Bungie on securing platform co-marketing and content deals.

The setting, the story, isn't creative? The enemies aren't creative? The landscapes, from what we've seen, aren't creative? There's also this.

What a strange comment.

Eh, I agree with Vico based on what they've shown publicly seen. What we've seen is a Borderlands clone set is far more interesting environments with great art direction.

I assume/hope that's not what the game is and I'm hoping tomorrow we will see that hook, that thing that makes it new, exciting, and a must have game.

Until then I more or less agree with Vico's comments.

I assume that document was back when the game was being planned for the 360 gen, I think once the plans for the new consoles shaped up and the game was pushed back things changed.

Eh, I agree with Vico based on what they've shown publicly seen. What we've seen is a Borderlands clone set is far more interesting environments with great art direction.

I assume/hope that's not what the game is and I'm hoping tomorrow we will see that hook, that thing that makes it new, exciting, and a must have game.

Until then I more or less agree with Vico's comments.
What's uncreative about the Fallen? The Hive? The Vex? What's uncreative about the Traveler, the Last City, and the environments we've seen in screenshots? Old Russia from the E3 demo?

If you want to say you haven't seen anything that makes the game innovative, you'd have a good argument. But uncreative? I find that ridiculous.

Flipyap

There will always be someone that hates the game. There will be. No matter how creative and interesting it will be there will be. I was talking to someone this week about that very fact and told them point blank that no matter what Bungie does there will be someone who calls it generic, there will always be someone who complains it's not like COD, and there will be someone who complains because the graphics aren't photo realistic. It never fails. There just will be.

I have no doubt I'm going to enjoy it. Bungie hasn't let me down yet and I don't think they're going to now.
There's a big difference between not being amazed by everything Bungie makes and "hating the game". There's nothing wrong with being aware of the shortcomings of the things you like.
Everything about the world of Destiny is obvious, by design. They want it to be familiar and easy to get into.

This is my most anticipated game and you know what? I think the story and its setting are as by-the-numbers and uninteresting as they come. We're going to be playing knights, wizards and rogues BUT WITH GUNS, for goodness' sake. Sure, the idea of visiting places in the Solar System sounds cool, but it loses something when Venus looking like a moon of Endor is waved off with "a Spaceball Wizard did it".
The enemies all look like they came out of a video game villain creation kit. There are space zombies, fat guys with heavy weapons, killer robots from Phantom Menace, and of course, Klingons WITH A TWIST (the twist is that they some of them have two extra arms, but they have yet to figure out what to do with them).
There's what should be a really cool game underneath all of this, but it's also not a some revolutionary gamechanger of a game, just a combination of a bunch of existing trends that make it very appealing. It might even be my dream game, even if a lot of it is dumb as hell, but hey, so was a lot of Halo and that turned out pretty well.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Destiny has been in development since before Borderlands was released, so calling it a "clone" is a stretch.

Not to mention it's a blended sci-fi/fantasy shared-world shooter with competitive multiplayer and end-game content.

There's a big difference between not being amazed by everything Bungie makes and "hating the game". There's nothing wrong with being aware of the shortcomings of the things you like.
Everything about the world of Destiny is obvious, by design. They want it to be familiar and easy to get into.

This is my most anticipated game and you know what? I think the story and its setting are as by-the-numbers and uninteresting as they come. We're going to be playing knights, wizards and rogues BUT WITH GUNS, for goodness' sake. Sure, the idea of visiting places in the Solar System sounds cool, but it loses something when Venus looking like a moon of Endor is waved off with "a Spaceball Wizard did it".
The enemies all look like they came out of a video game villain creation kit. There are space zombies, fat guys with heavy weapons, killer robots from Phantom Menace, and of course, Klingons WITH A TWIST (the twist is that they some of them have two extra arms, but they have yet to figure out what to do with them).
There's what should be a really cool game underneath all of this, but it's also not a some revolutionary gamechanger of a game, just a combination of a bunch of existing trends that make it very appealing. It might even be my dream game, even if a lot of it is dumb as hell, but hey, so was a lot of Halo and that turned out pretty well.

Next time save us the time and just say "I hate what I like."

Just watched the IGN video, I was completely clueless about this game. After receiving all that information on Destiny, this my most anticipated game of the year.

RoKKeR

Will be severely disappointed if we only get looks at Old Russia again! Give us a taste of Mars, Venus, Europa (that concept art, amazing)

Third teaser unfortunately had the wrong effect on me haha, a weapon we've already, an area that looks like stuff we've already seen, etc., but fuck it I'm still hyped.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind as much that the balance between exposition and maintaining surprises leans towards maintaining surprises. I just want more got-damn gameplay details, especially multiplayer, hoppers, map-making and the like.

My dream game is the most intelligent game ever designed. The enemies are all inkblots so they can be... whatever you feel. And the weapons are your doubts and insecurities, no right or wrong way to express yourself. Also you have a jetpack.....

OT: I don't think many are saying this is the most innovative second coming of both games and science-fiction. But it does look cool and fun to play... so there's that. Some folks just love to be reductive and pull things apart for kicks.

A fantasy setting version of Destiny would make big bucks.

I believe Destiny started as a straight fantasy while in the concept phase...? I'm not sure where I remember hearing that though. Maybe a podcast or read in one of the mailsack replies?

Anyhow, in the end they decided to make it future/space themed instead but kept some of the terminology and basic outline of things.

I believe Destiny started as a straight fantasy while in the concept phase...? I'm not sure where I remember hearing that though. Maybe a podcast or read in one of the mailsack replies?

Anyhow, in the end they decided to make it future/space themed instead but kept some of the terminology and basic outline of things.

yeah i think it was in one of the dev diaries/vidocs

I think all 3 classes are equally appealing really, i wanna play all of them. Those recent sizzle reels showing off each class were all spectacular.

the only, only reason i'm going with Warlock first before i try the other ones...is because Nova Bomb.

Pathos

Banned

I think it's a mix of Acti not being too fond of TF, MS got earlier CoD earlier (PS didn't get anything), and PS4 has better hardware/easier to work with. But who knows about these things.

I think it's a mix of Acti not being too fond of TF, MS got earlier CoD earlier (PS didn't get anything), and PS4 has better hardware/easier to work with. But who knows about these things.

We actually know a lot from that contract, and at the end of the day Activision is a business. It doesn't play favorites unless it makes financial sense. They won't do anything for the fans or to please a specific subset of fans unless there is a financial reason. Just like any other company ever.

(Everyone should really go through that contract again, it's super fascinating stuff)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna roll an Exo Titan. I'd go with a Hunter, but their masks look kinda stupid.

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, I'm gonna be in class when the embargo lifts. This is definitely my most hyped game right now, it's the game I'm going next-gen for. Everything in this thread looks great, and those instagram vids are getting me too hyped. I signed up for the beta as soon as I could, hopefully they'll give us a date for it.

IIRC back in the beginning of march they talked about big things to share in eight weeks in one of their weekly updates, I guess this is it.

What's uncreative about the Fallen? The Hive? The Vex? What's uncreative about the Traveler, the Last City, and the environments we've seen in screenshots? Old Russia from the E3 demo?

If you want to say you haven't seen anything that makes the game innovative, you'd have a good argument. But uncreative? I find that ridiculous.
I wouldn't say it's decidedly "uncreative", but there's been nothing that's made me go "Wow, I can't wait to experience that!"

Destiny has been in development since before Borderlands was released, so calling it a "clone" is a stretch.

Not to mention it's a blended sci-fi/fantasy shared-world shooter with competitive multiplayer and end-game content.

As I said, I don't expect the game to be a Borderlands clone, but given what they've publicly shown (the gameplay demo) compared to what they've talked about very vaguely, I think a lack of understanding of what makes Destiny some amazing new gaming franchise is completely understandable at this point.

That may very well change in a few hours.

Flipyap

Alternatively, you could take some time to try and develop some standards, if you seriously can't comprehend the idea of not liking a game's story, but still enjoying its gameplay.

I think all 3 classes are equally appealing really, i wanna play all of them. Those recent sizzle reels showing off each class were all spectacular.

the only, only reason i'm going with Warlock first before i try the other ones...is because Nova Bomb.
It would probably be easier to choose if we had a better idea of what makes these classes different. The abilities showcased so far seem largely interchangeable, mostly ranging from damage dealers to damage buffs. I hope these can get weirder down the line.
I'm also fond of (male) Warlocks, but mostly because of their fancy space trench coats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom