• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Origins Screenshots And Trailer

syllogism said:
I hear at least weapons have mouse over tooltips that show the damage so it's possible you can see the spell damage the same way. The damage is based on your magic stat and some other spellpower boosting things stat so I suppose they decided it would be confusing to show it on that menu.

e: the difference between certain non-damaging spells is even harder to gauge though

I would hope they at least put some formula for each spell under the description.

Such as 3* Magic Stat + other modifiers...

I would like to know which spells to invest in before investing in them.
Is the Fireball stronger than the lightning spell? There seems to be no way to tell.

can anyone tell me why this game's textures look like ps2 textures and the overall graphics looks bad? didnt they start making this game after mass effect?

Minsc

Gold Member
macfoshizzle said:
can anyone tell me why this game's textures look like ps2 textures and the overall graphics looks bad? didnt they start making this game after mass effect?

It's a sad thing that a 20 gig game can be released in 2009, and be compared to graphics from nearly 10 years ago.

I really don't think it's quite that bad myself (not great either), but the game never had the reputation for being a graphical showpiece.

Yottamole

Banned
macfoshizzle said:
They started making this game BEFORE Mass Effect, in 2004, supposedly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
macfoshizzle said:
Game looks much better than Mass Effect on a technical level.

Download the character creator at least. The models are of a much higher quality than Mass Effect. Effects in this game outclass anything in Mass Effect by a large margin as well. A lot of unwarranted hate surrounding the game because of how it's been handled.

Graphically the game certainly delivers: http://www.takesontech.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dragonage.jpg

Justinian

macfoshizzle said:

What do people find so hard to understand?

The game has a breadth and depth greater than any other modern RPG and people don't understand why the graphics are toned down?

This is not a game like Mass Effect which was 15 hours long and doesn't feature nearly the choices and amount of side quests as DA, which by all accounts is probably 3 times the size or more.

Seriously if the graphics in this game were comparable to Mass Effect I would be worried about the quality and quantity of content being lacking. What would you rather have in an RPG? Graphics or content? I'm certain you can't have both.

Oh and btw this game was well into development in 2004 when it was announced.

garath

Minsc said:
It's a sad thing that a 20 gig game can be released in 2009, and be compared to graphics from nearly 10 years ago.

I really don't think it's quite that bad myself (not great either), but the game never had the reputation for being a graphical showpiece.

70+ hours of gameplay with a plethora of voice acting is a legitimate enough reason for 20gigs.

Toothaiker

Neo Member
If I buy it for the PC, and I buy Mass Effect 2 for the 360, will the exclusive Mass Effect 2 material be a code that will work for the 360 or will it be pc only?

Tubobutts

Toothaiker said:
If I buy it for the PC, and I buy Mass Effect 2 for the 360, will the exclusive Mass Effect 2 material be a code that will work for the 360 or will it be pc only?

Code is not platform specific, so yes it will work.

syllogism

Toothaiker said:
Apparently pc only

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gorgon, you are a god amongst men. Totally agree with your points.

Especially about juvenile karma meters and "not really" C&C. Pointing out Planescape is an exception rather than a rule.

hmm ok.. i didn't know about those details.. i just thought it was weird how a new game that's coming out looked the way it does especially from bioware. despite that, i was planning on getting this anyways. but it looks like the game is looking better and better as they release new screens

Justinian

macfoshizzle said:
hmm ok.. i didn't know about those details.. i just thought it was weird how a new game that's coming out looked the way it does especially from bioware. despite that, i was planning on getting this anyways. but it looks like the game is looking better and better as they release new screens

I think it's also at least party due to the entire game being zoomable out to an isometric view with plenty going on. You can't have first person quality graphics when the entire game and all the assets can be viewed like a RTS game.

macfoshizzle said:

Dude, you had an awesome PS2. :lol

Justinian said:
I think it's also at least party due to the entire game being zoomable out to an isometric view with plenty going on. You can't have first person quality graphics when the entire game and all the assets can be viewed like a RTS game.

or maybe its an artistic style to make things all gritty. the color palette they are using sure looks that way.

ghostmind

How do you get The Stone Prisoner quest? Is it included with the retail box? Preorder only? DLC?

Same question for the Blood Dragon armor...

ghostmind said:
How do you get The Stone Prisoner quest? Is it included with the retail box? Preorder only? DLC?

Same question for the Blood Dragon armor...

They come with any original retail purchase as free DLC. Just won't get it if you buy it used.

Jenga

Banned
Justinian said:
The game has a breadth and depth greater than any other modern RPG and people don't understand why the graphics are toned down?
No, not really. Serious question, are they both mutually exclusive in development or something? In fact, you claim they "toned it down". lolwut

Adeptrain

Arrrgh!!! I waited too long and now the PC Collector's edition seems to be sold out!!! Or maybe taken down? Oh well, Steam and its 20gb sillyness for me I guess.

Fredescu

I don't think anyone complaining about the graphics has been watching very closely. There were complaints after one trailer about motion blur and mapping overload, that perhaps they had been focusing on the presentation a little too much and that the gameplay would suffer. I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say that this game will have the best graphics of any wRPG at the time of it's release.

Of course, it may just possibly have the worst animation of any wRPG too.

Melhisedek said:
Man didn't know Impulse did region locking stuff :( Can't preorder Dragon Age here in Sweden :(
All the DD services do. If it's only available in NA on Impulse, expect the same to be the case for Steam.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fredescu said:
I don't think anyone complaining about the graphics has been watching very closely. There were complaints after one trailer about motion blur and mapping overload, that perhaps they had been focusing on the presentation a little too much and that the gameplay would suffer. I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say that this game will have the best graphics of any wRPG at the time of it's release.

Of course, it may just possibly have the worst animation of any wRPG too.

All the DD services do. If it's only available in NA on Impulse, expect the same to be the case for Steam.

Well, the only real competition would be Risen and The Witcher (Drakensang as well I guess) if you're comparing it to wRPGs, unless I'm missing something. I probably am. Risen has won quite a few people here over, it will be interesting to see if this takes that crown (I doubt it though).

Fredescu

Minsc said:
Well, the only real competition would be Risen and The Witcher if you're comparing it to wRPGs.
I'm still waiting on my copy of Risen to ship, and praying it gets past customs since it's banned here, but Fallout 3 and Mass Effect have technically better graphics than The Witcher at least. I know Risen looks to have some nice lighting.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Animation matters more to me than technical graphics. If it looked like Bloodlines but also animated like it, I'd be much happier.

Justinian said:
What do people find so hard to understand?

This is not a game like Mass Effect which was 15 hours long and doesn't feature nearly the choices and amount of side quests as DA, which by all accounts is probably 3 times the size or more.

Seriously if the graphics in this game were comparable to Mass Effect I would be worried about the quality and quantity of content being lacking. What would you rather have in an RPG? Graphics or content? I'm certain you can't have both.

Oh and btw this game was well into development in 2004 when it was announced.

Fallout 3 is a ridiculously large RPG all things considered and at least it has decent visuals.

It would be one thing if Dragon Age had an impressive number of characters onscreen, or didn't have framedrops evident in videos. But as of now it just looks mediocre technically, with small numbers of enemies/ allies onscreen and meh models/textures.

HK-47 said:
Animation matters more to me than technical graphics. If it looked like Bloodlines but also animated like it, I'd be much happier.

Animations are so important. Far Cry 2 usually has better models and textures than COD4, for example, but COD4 has so much better animations that it looks way more photo realistic than the former.

Animations were the best part of Mass Effect to me. The character models wouldn't have been nearly as impressive if they animated as clunkily as they do in games like Fallout 3.

Fredescu

Vercingetorix said:
But as of now it just looks mediocre technically, with small numbers of enemies/ allies onscreen and meh models/textures.
The models are quite good, which you can look at first hand with the character creator. The textures are a bit overboard if anything, certainly beyond anything in Mass Effect and Fallout 3. There's a video on this very page showing combat with up to 20 guys in a room. There are a shit tonne of reasons to be negative about this game, but the graphics aren't one of them.

Dineren

Banned
Adeptrain said:
Arrrgh!!! I waited too long and now the PC Collector's edition seems to be sold out!!! Or maybe taken down? Oh well, Steam and its 20gb sillyness for me I guess.
Looks like you can still pick the collector's edition up on the EA Store. I don't have much confidence in any store EA runs, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Fredescu said:
The models are quite good, which you can look at first hand with the character creator. The textures are a bit overboard if anything, certainly beyond anything in Mass Effect and Fallout 3. There's a video on this very page showing combat with up to 20 guys in a room. There are a shit tonne of reasons to be negative about this game, but the graphics aren't one of them.

Well, you've convinced me! Next you'll say that the animation is far better than Mass Effect's too :lol

Fredescu

Vercingetorix said:
Well, you've convinced me! Next you'll say that the animation is far better than Mass Effect's too :lol
Mass Effect's textures looked quite nice on PC. Can you name a WRPG with better? I already rubbished the animation, so don't go there.

Fredescu said:
Mass Effect's textures looked quite nice on PC. Can you name a WRPG with better? I already rubbished the animation, so don't go there.

That's my point, the models, textures, and animation of Mass Effect are far better than Dragon Age's. (despite coming out two years before it) And of course there are other WRPGs that aren't horrible visually as well.

I would say the visuals are one of the biggest detractors from this game. Enemies don't react when you hit them, bland/weird looking human character models, all of that kills the immersion that's important in a WRPG.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'll say it right now, but I hate ME's canned animations (hand in first and pointing, augh) and facial emoting. Its rare to even see someone give a tiny smile. And the eyes are so dead. I hate it in AP too.

HK-47 said:
I'll say it right now, but I hate ME's canned animations (hand in first and pointing, augh) and facial emoting. Its rare to even see someone give a tiny smile. And the eyes are so dead. I hate it in AP too.

What's AP?

Now that I think about it, I can't think of a game where characters give "tiny smiles" while in real time conversation. Get on that for ME2, Bioware! :lol

Let's put it this way: you can have the animations of Fable II, Fallout 3, or Mass Effect for a WRPG. Pretty clear which one of them is exponentially better in that regard.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Exclusive quest and character huh? Seems alright though it probably isnt worth it since the mod community will just dump that content out in a couple weeks.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
HK-47 said:
Exclusive quest and character huh? Seems alright though it probably isnt worth it since the mod community will just dump that content out in a couple weeks.

Actually thats comes with any new copy of DAO, not just the CE.

HK-47 said:

I believe that quest and character come with the regular version of the game too, as long as it isn't a used copy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vercingetorix said:
What's AP?

Now that I think about it, I can't think of a game where characters give "tiny smiles" while in real time conversation. Get on that for ME2, Bioware! :lol

Let's put it this way: you can have the animations of Fable II, Fallout 3, or Mass Effect for a WRPG. Pretty clear which one of them is exponentially better in that regard.

AP = Alpha Protocol

Bloodlines and other Source engine games have excellent facial animations, especially with the eyes. FFXIII also looks really good in this regard, and Kingdom Hearts with its simpler art style has been doing it for a while. Uncharted also looks really good. Obvious its easier with cartoony art styles since you can exaggerate more but its still doable with realistic styles. I have no idea if Bioware is working on improving this for ME 2. Everyone in ME either had a poker face, a grimace or you couldnt see their face.

Fredescu

HK-47 said:
Whats in the collector's edition?
This is a basic rundown: http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/preordercollectors/ . It's not definitive though. In some regions the tin case and cloth map are exclusive to certain retailers. Certain retailers have exclusive in game items too. The bonus quest is something you get with a pre order of the regular edition too. The digitial download CE comes with the first DLC for free.

Vercingetorix said:
That's my point, the models, textures, and animation of Mass Effect are far better than Dragon Age's.
The design of the alien models in Mass Effect is very nice, but overall they are not "far better" than Dragon Age. The human models in Dragon Age are better than Mass Effect. You can even make pretty girls in Dragon Age, and they don't all look the same. The textures are not "far better". The mage robes for example in the character creator have a nice weighty look about them. The armour looks great. The world textures aren't as good as some of the armour textures, but the same can be said for Mass Effect. Particularly on planet surfaces. The combat animations in Mass Effect weren't very good either. The weird crouchy way the humans ran around was a bit off putting.

Fredescu said:
The design of the alien models in Mass Effect is very nice, but overall they are not "far better" than Dragon Age. The human models in Dragon Age are better than Mass Effect. You can even make pretty girls in Dragon Age, and they don't all look the same. The textures are not "far better". The mage robes for example in the character creator have a nice weighty look about them. The armour looks great. The world textures aren't as good as some of the armour textures, but the same can be said for Mass Effect. Particularly on planet surfaces. The combat animations in Mass Effect weren't very good either. The weird crouchy way the humans ran around was a bit off putting.

The bolded statement shows how very, very much we disagree on this subjective point.:lol It's clear that you think Dragon Age looks pretty good and I don't, we'll have to agree to disagree on that. To me it seems like a decently comprehensive consensus on the game that the visuals aren't impressive at all, judging by feedback both here and elsewhere on the internet.

As for the "crouchy walk" in Mass Effect....you must be aware where that's from, right? Every soldier on the planet does that for incredibly obvious reasons.If Shepard stood up straight, he wouldn't be looking down the sights of his weapon. Attention to detail like that makes the universe consistent and more believable.

bengraven

Watching those videos linked above makes me a bit sad, I admit.

I'm playing ME on PC right now and the lips, especially, are so much better animated than DA's.

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5DUs_aNtI

It's fine, I preordered last night after playing with the cc, but still. I remember how beautiful the human-looking creatures spoke and the animations feel different.

Fredescu

Fredescu said:
Compare this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372892 - "OMG! ...why are Mass Effect non-mutant women impossible to make?" (The default female shepard looks fine, it's true, but it's very difficult to make one look much different to her.)

To the diversity of models in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376903

Both are the definition of the uncanny valley to me. Trying to persuade me that Dragon Age is an impressive looking game is kind of pointless. Well, entirely pointless to be honest. Unless something is seriously wrong with my retinas it just isn't the case to me.

As I said before, we'll have to agree to disagree.

NewLib

Banned
I just dont understand why the animations are so bad. Is it because of the duel view? I mean there is really no reason for them to be that way.

Edit: Dragon Age isnt an extremely impressive looking game. But I argue that Mass Effect wasnt either. People go so caught up in the facial animations that they ignored a lot of other graphical faults.

Fredescu

Vercingetorix said:
Dude, if you're trying to persuade me that Dragon Age is an impressive looking game, save yourself some time and don't bother.
I'm not even sure that it is. I'm not trying to claim that it will be a pleasant experience, especially given that the animation seems to be so poor. People talking shit about PS2 level graphics are out of their mind though, and "mediocre technically" is simply false.

Fredescu said:
I'm not even sure that it is. I'm not trying to claim that it will be a pleasant experience, especially given that the animation seems to be so poor. People talking shit about PS2 level graphics are out of their mind though, and "mediocre technically" is simply false.

I know what you mean, the visuals are definitely functional. Obviously anyone describing a game this generation with PS2 level visuals is hyperbole.

Mediocre technically on the other hand....I'd say that's more questionable.

I guess I'm so used to games being visually amazing this generation that when a game doesn't seem to be pushing the envelope in any one way, it seems way behind the curve.

Top Bottom