• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Origins Screenshots And Trailer

ElyrionX

LegendofJoe said:
Like others have said as a consumer the best way to make your discontent known is through your wallet, don't support companies that engage in practices you find offensive. However, at some point you've got to realize that fighting 'the man' is usually a never ending cause to nowhere; especially with regards to something as trivial as video games.

That's what I'm thinking as well. So what if I don't buy the game? Nothing is going to change. It's like the whole COD MW2 PC boycott thing. It's just so damn futile.

I have no financial problems at all paying for all this crap if I really want them but it's just the principle of it that is killing me. Goddamn.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ElyrionX said:
EDIT: In the past, Bioware was this awesome company that you could tell honestly does give a shit about its fans. That's partly the reason why I liked them so much. But this whole thing with DA just shows how times have changed and they're not this fantastic company that they were in the past anymore. It's sad, really.
Bioware doesn't give shit, because each retailers asked them for weak item to help push sales, and they obliged? And how about how they include all of the DLC free of charge, to appease PC fans who had to wait?

Psy-Phi said:
How are you guys finding yourselves able to purchase this game? The adverts for it are so terrible they make the game look like it's about nothing more than blood, sex and more blood. I kind of want to pre-order it for the useless crap I'll get and never use beyond level 10 but I don't want to reward this drivel. Especially not actually seeing anything that makes me want it except for the Character Editor (that intro actually piqued my interest more than any commercial or video at game trailers and ign).
Every review being high 80s to 95% plus the gameplay looking great in the Giantbomb Quicklooks helps a lot.

Oh and for the bolded: blood for the Blood God is never a bad thing homie.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
pahamrick said:
Watching the Giantbomb quicklook for the PC and the 360 version made me pretty confident in my pre-order. I never go by advertising for any game, considering most of the time advertising is handled by an outside advertising firm.

I haven't played a fantasy WRPG in ages and the world/characters look interesting based on the adverts. The visuals are not super pretty (and blood-splattered characters chatting normally looks hilarious) but it's Bioware and I've really enjoyed their previous RPGs.

Also the lead writer for the game, David Gaider, isn't that bad at his craft. The Stolen Throne wasn't original but he knows how to write dialog that doesn't make me want to go blind.

Doytch

Psy-Phi said:
How are you guys finding yourselves able to purchase this game? The adverts for it are so terrible they make the game look like it's about nothing more than blood, sex and more blood. I kind of want to pre-order it for the useless crap I'll get and never use beyond level 10 but I don't want to reward this drivel. Especially not actually seeing anything that makes me want it except for the Character Editor (that intro actually piqued my interest more than any commercial or video at game trailers and ign).
I felt the same way, but the game actually seems to be pretty good. The combat system and skills/classes look really good, actually, and impressions on Quarter to Three are also positive. I was one of the harshest critics of everything they put out, and was hugely skeptical that this would be anything but an abortion (it's all my post history), but I've been positively surprised.

Tubobutts

Psy-Phi said:

Watch these

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins/17-1477/
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins-360/17-1528/

Shins

Banned
Psy-Phi said:
something about the game itself looking very entertaining

Are you really so fucking stupid that you need this splled out for you?

Psy-Phi said:

Is there anything in life better?

Doytch

Shins said:

Congratulations on being a tremendous asshole. As if it's completely unreasonable for someone to completely drop this off their radar after seeing the marketing. Christ.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Shins said:

You don't have to be stupid to think the advertising doesn't show this game off very well. Reviews and Bioware's website are a better bet for learning about the game and deciding whether it's something he might find enjoyable.

Gorgon

luxarific said:
You don't have to be stupid to think the advertising doesn't show this game off very well. Reviews and Bioware's website are a better bet for learning about the game and deciding whether it's something he might find enjoyable.

After Jade Empire's rave reviews I can hardly say I trust them. Don't get me wrong but Bioware could just send a huge boxed turd to reviewers and it would still score well as long as the Bioware logo was on the cover of the box.

Anyway I think that the game will be the best Bioware game in recent memory and that the long time fans will be happy with it.

Psy-Phi

Tiamatsword22 said:
Thanks for that. Definitely shows the game off in a light good enough to make me want it again. Never heard of GiantBomb before either.

Shins said:

I guess that I am. Because I didn't think it looked very entertaining from what I saw. and wondered "how are these people seeing something I'm not". I'm not a person who tries to strike out from the masses on purpose. I just don't like games (or any form of media) that looks like it's relying on the more carnal things in life, because there are other games that do that in addition to good writing and gameplay that I'd rather spend my time iwth.

I would not have asked if I didn't want to be interested in ti though. I want to like it, I love Bioware's older games, but ME didnt' enamor me, it was decent, and Jade Emprie was only decent as well. I was afraid they would lose their magic with another original IP. The adverts for this game are god awful as most clearly know. Very cliche, immature, and just downright bad. But I've mostly watched the character vids and some of the commercial like trailers. As I mentioend all I saw was blood, sex and blood. I don't mind blood, but like I said earlier, I want games that have more.

The stuff I've just watched at GiantBomb answered that question superbly. As have the responses to my post, other than your own.

Arde5643

Psy-Phi said:
Thanks for that. Definitely shows the game off in a light good enough to make me want it again. Never heard of GiantBomb before either.

I guess that I am. Because I didn't think it looked very entertaining from what I saw. and wondered "how are these people seeing something I'm not". I'm not a person who tries to strike out from the masses on purpose. I just don't like games (or any form of media) that looks like it's relying on the more carnal things in life, because there are other games that do that in addition to good writing and gameplay that I'd rather spend my time iwth.

I would not have asked if I didn't want to be interested in ti though. I want to like it, I love Bioware's older games, but ME didnt' enamor me, it was decent, and Jade Emprie was only decent as well. I was afraid they would lose their magic with another original IP. The adverts for this game are god awful as most clearly know. Very cliche, immature, and just downright bad. But I've mostly watched the character vids and some of the commercial like trailers. As I mentioend all I saw was blood, sex and blood. I don't mind blood, but like I said earlier, I want games that have more.

The stuff I've just watched at GiantBomb answered that question superbly. As have the responses to my post, other than your own.

Just check out the PC walkthrough vids they have in Gametrailers. It's still very much BG2 in spirit/storyline/lore/gameplay, just with 3D engine, current graphics, and more blood and gore to satisfy the masses.

jabipun

Hey guys, why should I be interested in this game? I've read company PR descriptions of this game - but, I think a better way to put this is - why ARE YOU interested in this game?

Value of game? Story? Gameplay? All of the above?

I hear it's single player only. Which is fine.

PS: I've never played BG or BG2.

PPS: Also, how long is this game? How much value does it have. I bought like 2 games new in the past month and I can't burn another full price game on this unless I know it has good value.

jabipun said:
Hey guys, why should I be interested in this game? I've read company PR descriptions of this game - but, I think a better way to put this is - why ARE YOU interested in this game?

That's why most of us are excited for this game. We want to see if BioWare's still got some of that magic left.

A game like Baldur's Gate 2 is never going to happen again. But one can dream, right?

syllogism

The latest gametrailers videos are better than the quick bomb quicklooks, in my opinion.

e: also enough with the CONVINCE ME TO BUY THIS GAME posts, we don't really give a shit whether you buy it or not

NewLib

Banned
I have never played as a dwarf before but Im really leaning in that direction because 1) Dwarf Noble Origin seems pretty cool and 2) I want to see the extra hilarity of having the already-hilarious romance scenes including a man half the size of the woman he is caressing.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Gorgon said:
After Jade Empire's rave reviews I can hardly say I trust them. Don't get me wrong but Bioware could just send a huge boxed turd to reviewers and it would still score well as long as the Bioware logo was on the cover of the box.

Anyway I think that the game will be the best Bioware game in recent memory and that the long time fans will be happy with it.

Jade Empire wasnt that bad IMHO. Agree that it wasnt really good, but was quite enjoyable.
I am not dissing you on your personal choice, just telling mine. I hope you dont mind.

dejan

Preordered the Deluxe Edition (together with Borderlands, L4D2, AI War and Torchlight - PC gaming \o/) from Steam. Hope I'll finish Drakensang before DA hits next week.
So is there gonna be an official thread or do we just stick to this one.

Doytch

dejan said:
Preordered the Deluxe Edition (together with Borderlands, L4D2, AI War and Torchlight - PC gaming \o/) from Steam. Hope I'll finish Drakensang before DA hits next week.
So is there gonna be an official thread or do we just stick to this one.
Wooo, Torchlight. And yeah, Evilore's making a thread.

jabipun said:

PPS: Also, how long is this game? How much value does it have. I bought like 2 games new in the past month and I can't burn another full price game on this unless I know it has good value.

playing this game is like grabbing a whore and having a good time. hahahahahahahuahuahuahua.

If that didn't do enough to make you want to buy 3 copies of the game, I have to said that this game it's said to be the spiritual succesor of BG2 that a lot of people consider the best RPG of all time, one characteristic is a big detailed world with huge empahisis on it's characters and plot, the plot is no linear unlike most JRPG (if you are more familiar to those games) since your diferent decisions can alter the fate of your characters and what's gonna happen in your adventure.

This would probably mean shit, if it weren't a deep (presumably) combat system which different classes and sub classes for you characters and great amount of abilities to combine with all that acompanied with a substantial amount of loot (yeahhhh loot!!) to equip you characters. What means this? you have to build your characters accordingly with the way you want to play and taking into account all the possible dangers they can face, so building an equilibrated party that can face any type of enemy it's a key, obviously different approaches are admitted since how you face the combats is as important as building your party, a powerful party it's nothing if the strategy dosn't come along.

Value, probably a lot since completing all the origins will take a lot of time, and you can always create a new character, to face the story and the gameplay in a total different way to make a pretty different experience.

tl;dr Mass Effect but more complex (PC-ish) in almost every way.

Did I did it right? :lol :lol :lol

So hyped for this game. And yes, the ads did sell me on it. There's just something charming about the terrible nu-metal and blood showers. It's practically guaranteed to be a great game, so I'm glad they went demented with the advertising.

Anyways, there's no actual in-game content that comes with the special edition, right? Just a couple of items? Console version I mean. From what I can make of it, every version comes with Stone Prisoner, and the PC special editions get the Warden's Keep? All the special edition gets is the items, plus the bonus material?

Nif

Haha, Sony seems to be up to something. I was at Best Buy, and saw some 15 "Coming Soon" empty cases for Dragon Age with a big PS3 logo on front. Didn't see any sign of it coming out on 360 or even PC.

Enosh

Freedom = $1.05 said:
For some reason I hear this in Kain's voice, only followed by VAE VICTUS.

Genghis Khan said something similar

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.”

Gorgon

kittoo said:
Jade Empire wasnt that bad IMHO. Agree that it wasnt really good, but was quite enjoyable.
I am not dissing you on your personal choice, just telling mine. I hope you dont mind.

I don't mind at all, my friend.

Just noticed amazon gives you $10 off your next game purchase when you preorder from them, in addition to the few bucks they shave off to begin with. So PC version ends up being 36.99 effectively. That'll spare me the week it would have taken to download it off steam.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ElyrionX said:
The DLC issue left a nasty taste in my mouth but I got over it.

But the whole exclusive LE items thing is pissing me off. I don't want to pay a substantial amount more just to get a few ingame items and a bunch of other useless junk like cloth maps (which actually came "free" as part of the standard package in BG2!).

The fact is, high-profile games have pulled this shit off in the past but never to this degree. This is everything that is wrong or bad about the publishing/marketing of games this gen combined in one single release.

EDIT: In the past, Bioware was this awesome company that you could tell honestly does give a shit about its fans. That's partly the reason why I liked them so much. But this whole thing with DA just shows how times have changed and they're not this fantastic company that they were in the past anymore. It's sad, really.

Sure, maybe. But you are still buying so why should they care?

Barrett2

Keep going back-and-forth on this. Some preview trailers looks fantastic to me, then the next one will seem bland and boring. Tough to tell with western RPGs, its always a crap shoot on whether or not I can get into them.

speedpop said:
I haven't read the link yet but I'm hoping that closed beta involved some of the BioWare modding community. It'd be great to get some fresh fan-made campaigns or whatever right after we've finished the game proper.

I'm sure few from Bioware modding community participated in "closed beta". It was "closed beta" as in you had to register to participate. Not like invitation only.

Arde5643

lawblob said:
Keep going back-and-forth on this. Some preview trailers looks fantastic to me, then the next one will seem bland and boring. Tough to tell with western RPGs, its always a crap shoot on whether or not I can get into them.
Have you checked out the PC gameplay vids yet?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Time to say "buh-bye!" to the ME2 armor -- I now have Dragonbone armor for Allistair to run around in.

ToxicAdam

I thought this might be thread-worthy (just for the lols of the reactions), but PC Gamer (UK) is calling it the "RPG of the Decade".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226091?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS

"Thus begins Dragon Age, one of the most enormous and astonishing of games," it says. "Were the difficulty levels not so enormously silly, it would require sheer pickiness to find a major fault with this game.

Sounds like the reviewers were weaksauce and had to fight on the battles on EASY (probably to get through a good chunk of the game before they penned the review). So it got downgraded for it's difficulty (wtf?).

I'd much rather it be too hard than too easy.

I wouldn't expect most medium to large fights to be winnable in real time.

I remember multiple encounters in the BG series, when I reloaded at least 3-4 times to finish a battle wthout losing anybody in the party. It's crucial to micromangage everyones options.

snaildog

Steve Youngblood said:
Well, without getting into the specifics of this game, I don't understand why this is laughworthy. If you actually are offended by the practice to the point where you will actively complain about it, there is no better way for a consumer to do something about a principle they stand for than to not support the product financially. That's much more effective than, say, signing some stupid petition and then buying the game anyway.

Again, you or I may argue that this crap isn't boycott-worthy, but if someone else does think it's that bad then it's perfectly justifiable. If you want to send a message to the publisher, that's how you do it. You can't look at it so much as "I, the customer, am being denied a great gameplay experience" so much as it should be regarded that "they, the publisher, are being denied my money."
You sound like you're just taking first-year economics. Truth is, there's a 0% chance of your actions making any difference to anything at all, or 'sending a message'. You're just depriving of yourself of an enjoyable game that is worth the money they charge, no matter that the process is slightly irritating.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
snaildog said:
You sound like you're just taking first-year economics. Truth is, there's a 0% chance of your actions making any difference to anything at all, or 'sending a message'. You're just depriving of yourself of an enjoyable game that is worth the money they charge, no matter that the process is slightly irritating.

Yeah...thats up to the individual to decide.

snaildog said:
I'm not making a difference? And here in my land where everything is made of candy canes and chocolate, I thought I was going to single-handedly end EA's reign of terror on this industry by not buying Dragon-Age.

With that bit of derision out of the way, the thing I'll never understand about consumers in this industry (mainly talking about the so-called 'hardcore' fans) is that they seem helpless to recognize that this is all unnecessary entertainment fueled by disposable income purchases. No, my boycotting alone won't amount to a drop in the bucket, but all over the place I see people just having no spine at all. I see people lamenting stupid pre-order nonsense, but then turning around and pre-ordering anyway because "they were going to buy the game anyway." I see people fearing a DD future without realizing that, if it's as anti-consumer as they believe it is and physical is forever the way to go, if nobody buys the DD-only experiment, that sends a big message to the publisher that physical is what the people demand.

So, yes, there are no delusions of grandeur at play here. But also understand that the only vote you have in this frivolous industry is in how you make your purchases. Much like in major elections, one vote may not make much of a difference, but that's always been a stupid reason to be passive and not take any responsibility. And for what it's worth, I'll most likely be buying Dragon-Age, as I really don't care about the pre-order shenanigans (falls into the harmless "hey, free crap I don't care about!" category for me).

bengraven

Is everyone too frightened to load up the official thread? :lol

daot-ani06.gif

Danneee

bengraven said:
Is everyone too frightened to load up the official thread? :lol

To be honest, the official thread kinda sucks...

edit: To be more constructive with the critisism the thread seem to be more bashing at console owners and less informative and such. You know, like most other official threads? Or am I having to high expectations?

Top Bottom