• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Driveclub footage looks stunning

Listonosh

Wow, I was honestly not expecting driveclub to look or play better (still to be seen) than forza but holy crap did that short clip look amazing. I might actually spring for the full version when it comes out instead of the PS plus one.

Portugeezer

s986r.gif

24l1r9z.gif

Bedlam

Nothing fake about it.
I've read statements like that before and quite often it turned out that even though actual gameplay was used as a basis for the footage, scripted stuff and effects were added.

I wouldn't be surpirsed if that's the case here too. If they come out and say that it's pure and completely unaltered gameplay, then awesome. But that's probably not going to happen.

But it looks good regardless. I just think the cockpit view won't look as dynamic as seen here.

Racer1977

You have to say, after the initial worries about Driveclub being "left to die" on PS Plus, and the apparent lack of advertising, Sony are now doing this game justice.

Disappointing as the delay was, the game now looks stunning, and presumably they still have a month or two of fine tuning.

Really hoping this hits before Infamous SS.

Portugeezer

I've read statements like that before and quite often it turned out that even though actual gameplay was used as a basis for the footage, scripted stuff and effects were added.

I wouldn't be surpirsed if that's the case here too. If they come out and say that it's pure and completely unaltered gameplay, then awesome. But that's probably not going to happen.

But it looks good regardless. I just think the cockpit view won't look as dynamic as seen here.

We've witnessed this game evolve graphically over the past few months. This is legit. It looks good enough that people doubt it, that is only a good sign I suppose.

Derrick01

Banned
I can already tell this game is going to suck me in because of the graphics and then I'll remember about 5 hours into playing it how little I enjoy racing games. GT 3 and 4 did the same thing, although the sim side of the genre puts me off way more than arcade racers do.

nasanu

Banned
Project CARS looks better, but the DOF on DriveClub is really nice.

I've seen the press trailers of pCars. Sure they are great, nothing is ever as sexy as a lie. Search youtube for actual gameplay, the graphics are well... I want to say rubbish, so I'll say it.. pCars graphics are rubbish. Compared to other PC sims the graphics are amazing, but the truth is most PC racers look at PS2 games with graphics envy (ok maybe not PS2 but you get the picture, they suck).

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Good gravy this looks amazing - I guess delaying was the right call after all. Was expecting it to look on par with Forza, but this is something else. If the gameplay is up to par this will sell well for sure.

hawk2025

I can already tell this game is going to suck me in because of the graphics and then I'll remember about 5 hours into playing it how little I enjoy racing games. GT 3 and 4 did the same thing, although the sim side of the genre puts me off way more than arcade racers do.

Which is why the PS+ deal is such a great thing. Sure, we won't get ALL the content, but for those like us that kind of like sinking a few hours into a racing game before losing interest, it's a perfect solution.

I don't trust in-game footage until the game is out.

Having said that, Driveclub looks amazing.

Well, Killzone looks exactly like that in game.

Bedlam

We've witnessed this game evolve graphically over the past few months. This is legit. It looks good enough that people doubt it, that is only a good sign I suppose.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to be wrong here. I have the full game pre-ordered (btw I hope it will feel like a full game and that doesn't do the same shit as Forza 5). But just from experience as a gamer and a little bit of common sense, I have my doubts. Can they realistically implement such shaky head movements? Wouldn't those mess with the playability of the game? And how would the changing DoF even work?

Expect a much more conventional cockpit view. At best it'll be like in NFS Shift (never played it but from what I've seen, they nailed the cockpit view).

I've seen the press trailers of pCars. Sure they are great, nothing is ever as sexy as a lie. Search youtube for actual gameplay, the graphics are well... I want to say rubbish, so I'll say it.. pCars graphics are rubbish. Compared to other PC sims the graphics are amazing, but the truth is most PC racers look at PS2 games with graphics envy (ok maybe not PS2 but you get the picture, they suck).
Are you fucking serious? I've seen it all.

meta4

Is this a serious post? Project Cars looks amazing. Drive Club looks better but that does not mean pCars looks bad.

Boss Man

I'm sure they did this specifically for comparisons against Forza. Anyone who doesn't actively root for healthy competition in the industry needs to reevaluate things.

Where does DriveClub stand on the spectrum of sims / arcade racers? I understand that GT is more of a pure sim than Forza, but a lot of people find Forza to be more enjoyable. Is DriveClub aimed more at that audience?

Xanadu

Banned
Project Cars is not even in the same league as DriveClub. Aside from obvious IQ benefits from higher res down sampling, DriveClub is considerably more technically proficient. In lighting, shadows, geometry, draw distance, foliage, dynamic global illumination and so on.

driveclub looks more convincing generally but pcars can look better than driveclub in certain circumstances, and a lot of those points are true but definitely not geometry

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Clearly the real reason Driveclub got delayed was because they didn't want this to destroy GT6 this week.

Seriously though this game looks better and better. Seems crazy to me that they're giving this away for free on PS+ in any form.

nib95

Banned
Project Cars looks phenomenal, but there's a lot DriveClub does better. Made a post about some of the differences a while back.

Quite a noticeable difference in overall graphical fidelity tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnQ5QYBRN8&t=1m3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9_ttOpcVE&t=6m45s

There's a lot of things DriveClub does considerably better than the competition, or that other racers (including PC) don't do at all, things that I never even noticed till similar posts to yours started popping up. Overall better lighting, dynamic shadowing even on distant objects that are all self shadowing, texture detail, volumetric smoke (that is even dynamically lit and casts it's own shadows), reflections, refraction's, dynamic global illumination, far more geometric complexity, mass foliage that is fully 3D, physics on foliage and so on.

DriveClub is a big step up technically compared to driving games of the past. It's just the IQ that needs to be sharpened up, and by the looks of it, in that respect the new AA is already looking improved.

You cannot be serious.

Emdeepee

I love how the dashboard becomes out of focus. These are the kind of details that are convincing me. I mean, yes it looks pretty. But it looks pretty in a way it delivers something new. This might be my next racing game indeed!

Looks great, but I doubt this is an in game effect. Seeing as it's an advert for Channel 4 it's probably an added effect to shift viewers focus to the forming '4' rather than just look at the dashboard.

Xanadu

Banned
Project Cars looks phenomenal, but there's a lot DriveClub does better. Made a post about some of the differences a while back.

you cant base graphics off of youtube videos, the compression kills it. i play the game in dx10 mode and its fantastic, and have dx11 in action and its pretty mindblowing

Boss Man

I wish I cared about racing games. I'm not trying to thread shit here, I honestly do wish that I did. I always feel like I'm missing out.

damn. i didn't think i was going to get a racing game. but now i really wanna play this. that delay did this game some good.

is this still going to be a ps+ game when it comes out, or did they replace contrast with this for that deal.

nib95

Banned
you cant base graphics off of youtube videos, the compression kills it. i play the game in dx10 mode and its fantastic, and have dx11 in action and its pretty mindblowing

I wasn't basing it off just YouTube videos….And I agree with you perhaps about vehicle geometry, but definitely not environmental geometry. Don't forget DriveClub's foliage is all 3D.

On a side note, a friend of mine works at Slightly Mad Studios lol.

Damn !

But honestly, i'm not surprised, Evolution Studios can make some of the best looking games around, just look at Motorstorm...

And as for the framerate, it'll probably not be 60fps but close to it. I think Motorstorm games had better framerate than 30fps, it was smooth that's for sure.

Glad they delayed this game, i'm not in a rush to play a racer yet and i prefer Evolution Studios to take their sweet time to come up with something that looks and plays great.

With that said, cannot wait !

Xanadu

Banned
I wasn't basing it off just YouTube videos….And I agree with you perhaps about vehicle geometry, but definitely not environmental geometry. Don't forget DriveClub's foliage is all 3D.

On a side note, a friend of mine works at Slightly Mad Studios lol.

ah i thought you were referring to models, yes definitely pcars lodx mode is higher than what ive seen from driveclub, but i feel the lighting in driveclub is unmatched, truly stunning at times

Top Bottom