• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DS3/SIXAXIS Drivers For Windows - Includes Rumble Support

Schrade

Just posting this quickly. I searched but didn't see any mention of them yet.

Windows Drivers that support both Dual Shock 3 and SIXAXIS and there's also rumble support for the DS3.

Bluetooth wireless communication is not supported

Home Page: http://www.geocities.jp/tamamy_ikesu/devicedriver.html
Home Page Google Translated: Japanese -> English Translation

SendSpace Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3m442a

English Version of the Application: http://www.geocities.jp/tamamy_ikesu/files/SDDriverSetting_e.zip (You still need to get the drivers)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179397
A japanese coder has released Windows Drivers for the Dualshock 3 PS3 Controllers and they also support sixaxis too and even cooler is the fact they support rumble too:

There are 4 drivers in total

ds3drv_1.02 - Normal Driver
ds3drv_dx_1.02 - dx driver
SDDriverSetting - utility to tweak some settings
ForceFeedbackDriver - rumble driver, you need to install the first or second driver too

Installation:
download either the first or second driver, then open the device manager and search for the dualshock/sixaxis under hid devices, it should be called USB Human Interface Device
then choose update driver and select the driver that you just downloaded

Rumble
to install the rumble driver just right click on the .inf file and choose install
when you'll start a game you'll see a tray icon used to tweak rumble settings, the first menu option is to toggle rumble the second one will open a window where you can set the strength of the force feedback

2d11qg.jpg

the first value is the amplification ratio

the second one is the minimum value at which to start the small motors

the third and fourth one are the value of the large motors

the last value is probably the maximum strength

Schrade

maniac-kun said:
does it work with vista 64?
It's tough to support Vista 64 with anything because it requires signed drivers. That isn't going to happen with freeware stuff.

That's one of the major downsides of Vista 64 that people never think about.

zoku88

Schrade said:
It's tough to support Vista 64 with anything because it requires signed drivers. That isn't going to happen with freeware stuff.

You can run unsigned drivers in Visat 64, though. You just have to do some stuff first, (like allowing it by pushing F8 at boot.)

Median

I can't seem to get the driver to actually install. Whenever I try to update the driver for the controller through the device manager, it tells me that the latest driver is already installed. I'm on Vista 32bit here.

Schrade

zoku88 said:
You can run unsigned drivers in Visat 64, though. You just have to do some stuff first, (like allowing it by pushing F8 at boot.)
Yes I know you can. You have to intentionally hit F8 every time you boot and then turn off the driver signing. It's not a one time thing. There is a program that can make it a set it and forget it thing but I am not sure if that still works or not.

Here it is - ReadyDriver Plus v1.1: http://www.citadel.co.nr/readydriverplus/

Schrade

XxBigP123xX said:
Got it working in epsxe. Rumble!!!:D
Can you explain the steps you took to install the drivers? When I try to do it it says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Schrade said:
Can you explain the steps you took to install the drivers? When I try to do it it says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."
1.Open Device manager
2.Find the controller
3.Update driver
4.Click browse my computer for driver software
5.Click let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
6.Click have disk...
7.Click browse...
8.Open the folder with the driver and click it.

Should be good from there.

Schrade

Yeah, that's what I do. Doesn't work :( I get that error.

Did you press the PS Button or anything to put the controller into a certain state?

Schrade said:
Yeah, that's what I do. Doesn't work :( I get that error.

Did you press the PS Button or anything to put the controller into a certain state?
Nope. Weird. Try both the drivers, if that doesn't work I don't know what to say...

Schrade

Aha! Fixed it.

I had to edit the dualshock3.inf file and replace this stuff:

Code:
[SCEI]
%DUALSHOCK3Desc%=DUALSHOCK3_Inst,USB\VID_054C&PID_0268

to

Code:
[SCEI]
%DUALSHOCK3Desc%=DUALSHOCK3_Inst,HID\VID_054C&PID_0268

(Changed the USB part to HID)

Schrade said:
Aha! Fixed it.

I had to edit the dualshock3.inf file and replace this stuff:

Code:
[SCEI]
%DUALSHOCK3Desc%=DUALSHOCK3_Inst,USB\VID_054C&PID_0268

to

Code:
[SCEI]
%DUALSHOCK3Desc%=DUALSHOCK3_Inst,HID\VID_054C&PID_0268

(Changed the USB part to HID)
Good, I didn't have to do that.

Just to confirm, the driver and rumble works in Windows 7 32 bit.

railGUN

Banned
What's the best way to use a Dual Shock 3 on my PC through USB if I don't care about rumble or waggle? I've found several different drivers, one in particular on the PS3 boards but is there a definitive driver that everyone uses?

Schrade said:

Turn off signed drivers and it's a lot easier.

Ploid 3.0

Cool, I have a sixaxis just for my win98 pc. I like to use it for navigating and such (no space for a mouse and kb). It's not so good for the games I can run on it though (age of empires 2, and other pc ish games).

Seraph-

does anyone know if these drivers work for pc games, such as fallout 3? I've really been trying to find a way to have my sixaxis recognized without having to use a key padder software, thanks!

ithorien

Flunkie said:
Why can't these things ever be in English?

Cuz the Japanese are the best at these things!

Had the same issue with FFXI progs, most were made by the JPs, and it was a big deal to try to get them translated.

MercuryLS

Banned
Median said:
I can't seem to get the driver to actually install. Whenever I try to update the driver for the controller through the device manager, it tells me that the latest driver is already installed. I'm on Vista 32bit here.

Having the same problem.

Seraph-

I'm having a problem where after the install it says that there's an error and then it gives me an "error code 10- The device cannot be started" anyone know how to fix this? thanks.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Can you use the DS3 D-pad in Cave Story? With the 360 controller, Cave Story forces you to use the analog stick for some reason. (I guess I could get one of the programs that map keyboard buttons to the controller to fix this, but I'm still curious.)

Seraph-

man this is frustrating, i've tried installing this so many times over and it's still giving me the same error...what the heck!

Varna

Do these drivers also kill Zune detection?

I installed the other drivers that were floating around and not only could I not get the controller to work but my Zune was no longer being detected. A lot of people apparently had this issue.

Seraph-

Allright, i found out what my problem was, was trying to update the driver on hid game controller when you have to find the Hid device that is the dualshock. this is an amazing driver, for anyone interested i even found a little file that was developed which makes this emulate a 360 pad, so you can play games that support it with full functionality ie: full rumble support as the devs coded into the game :D that file is located at http://tocaedit.com just have to go to the "download 360 controller emulator ver 3.0" follow the instructions to install, you have to do so with each games directory just unzip into same folder as the .exe for the game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Median said:

I'm having this problem too, Vista 32bit over here as well.

Schrade

Seraph- said:
Allright, i found out what my problem was, was trying to update the driver on hid game controller when you have to find the Hid device that is the dualshock. this is an amazing driver, for anyone interested i even found a little file that was developed which makes this emulate a 360 pad, so you can play games that support it with full functionality ie: full rumble support as the devs coded into the game :D that file is located at http://tocaedit.com just have to go to the "download 360 controller emulator ver 3.0" follow the instructions to install, you have to do so with each games directory just unzip into same folder as the .exe for the game.
Holy shit thanks for your tip.

To translate what he said you need to do the following:

Bring up your device manager, expand the Human Interface Devices section.

Once expanded, pay attention to the items listed as "USB Human Interface Device" Count how many you have without the controller plugged in.

Now, plug in the controller. A new "USB Human Interface Device" should appear in the bottom of the listing:

o5xapf.png

Right click on it, select Properties and make sure it says what's shown in the image below:

20horrd.png

Now click on the Driver tab, click on Update Driver, Select "No, not this time" when the wizard asks to do a search for software and click on Next.

Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and click Next.

Click on "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." and click on Next.

Click on "Have Disk" and steer to the driver directory. I used the ds3drv_dx version. Once selected, Click on Next.

It installs the driver, you can click on Finish.

Ignore the HID-compliant game controller entry. That's where I was going wrong :-/

Clipper

Eteric Rice said:
What would I need to get this to work?

Use the link in the OP to go to the Japanese Home Page. Download the driver (filename on link starts with ds3drv_dx), the English settings program (SDDriverSetting_e) and the rumble driver (ForceFeedbackDriver). Then follow Schrade's instructions to install the driver (post #41) and the remainder of the instructions in the OP to install the rumble support.

mYm|17|

i tried it and finally got it to work............thank god

been playing some 3rd strike and i can finally do shoryukens with ease, so awesome

Top Bottom