• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DualShock 4 Controller Patented By Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

You clearly haven't used the Wii U GamePad or the Pro Controller. That lay-out is actually great for shooters.

That layout is awful for any genre that requires constant use of the face buttons though, especially action games that depend on evading via X or O. Too much travel time between them and the right stick.

The placement is just awkward and I wouldn't touch it personally.

thuway

They're certainly a million times better than on the DS3, especially since they're curved outwards.

But I love the smoothness of the xbone triggers. Its like butter
That's not the issue. The triggers begin to stick and it's gets really rough. My left trigger was a mess.

Scrawnton

To be fair ive never seen a really nice patent ever in my life

I'd rather they completely redesign the controller rather than keep a similar shape and try to make minor layout changes. A full redesign, not this Frankenstein looking thing.

terrible

Banned
Shoulder buttons that don't stick, decent battery life, triggers that don't squeak, and joysticks that don't peel off would be a good start in improving the controller. Swappable dpad/joystick and more buttons is not a bad idea though.

SOR5

I'd rather they completely redesign the controller rather than keep a similar shape and try to make minor layout changes. A full redesign, not this Frankenstein looking thing.

I think its more of an enthusiast option other than a complete replacement for the DS4

Kudo

I hope they didn't ditch the port next to the 3.5mm that is used to charge the controller with their charging station.

gafneo

Banned
We got 2 redesigns for the xbox1 which didn't really need improvement. Yet the DS4 has terrible triggers and cheaply made thumb sticks. This is a much needed redesign if they can fix the issue.

Dynomutt

To be fair ive never seen a really nice patent ever in my life

nx_patent_1.jpg

Agreed.

Eolz

The alternate layout seems like a bad copy of the WiiU pro controller (and without a good battery life obviously).
Still, good on them.

HellaNutella

Neo Member
That layout is awful for any genre that requires constant use of the face buttons though, especially action games that depend on evading via X or O. Too much travel time between them and the right stick.

The placement is just awkward and I wouldn't touch it personally.

I love the Wii U pro controller. I've played through Dark Souls and lots of Monster Hunter with no problem. I tend to hit the buttons with the middle joint of my thumb and not the tip. I could see it being more difficult if you hit the buttons with the tip because of the extra movement it would require.

Azure J

I hope that modular stick/button thing is a reality. :eek:

I also hope the controller works on PS4 vanilla too.

Edit: Aww.

webkatt

The problem with the triggers is that it is a flimsy design. It got a slight redesign but is still overall the same.

The weak springs are its source of tension and they are not located in the of the center of the trigger buttons.

DieH@rd

Banned
I like the idea of 17L/R. Thumb is really elevated above those proposed buttons, so there is no big danger of accidental pressing them [especially if they are placed lower into the body of the gamepad].

Grinchy

Banned
The Steam controller made me a believer in paddles. If this doesn't have some ridiculous, over-inflated price like the Elite controller, I'll have my eye on it.

edit- oh this is old? Damn, that's a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom