• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DualShock 4 Controller Patented By Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
6tdp9Yx.jpg

This is a PS4 controller I would very much like to use.

CO_Andy

Best PC controller is about to get even better.

Now all it needs is a gyroscope that's comparable to either the Steam controller or Wii U gamepad.

Grinchy

Banned
The touchpad was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

I don't know why it's not used more. Killzone used it well but I can't think of any other game that actually uses the swiping ability. That one touchpad can be like 5 inputs when you consider swiping each direction and pressing on it.

Lnds500

I didn't see it mentioned, but I posted yesterday on another thread that there is another model of the DualShock coming (CUH-ZCT2U vs CUH-ZCT1) according to the FCC.

Source is a banned site.

I don't know if the new controller has anything to do with this patent or not though.

Oh awesome, hope they do release a new higher quality controller.

My launch DS4 battery lasts 3 hours and looses all charge within a week if unused. I got a cheap $10 replacement battery for it, I'm glad I didn't buy a brand new one if a new one is coming out soon.

Sony could 1-up Xbox One Elite and make those new buttons standard for Dualshock's and mappable.

kunonabi

Buttons on the grips don't do anything for me since my fingers aren't positioned there when I hold a controller. Still, I might learn to if it means I can use those in place of L3/R3 which I freaking hate with a passion.

Looks like they put some plastic over the triggers. Always hated how the ds3 and ds4 rested on the triggers when you set it down. Glad they fixed that.

Looks like they've changed the locations of the Options and Share buttons, which is my biggest problem with the current controller.

Grief.exe

The touchpad was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

I don't know why it's not used more. Killzone used it well but I can't think of any other game that actually uses the swiping ability. That one touchpad can be like 5 inputs when you consider swiping each direction and pressing on it.

It's really a great reason why it's one of the top picks for PC controllers as it can be used as a mouse for easy control of the OS from the couch.

Grief.exe

Where did you get this information from that it is a top pick. I'd like to know.

Extremely common around GAF, obviously there isn't usage statistics as the vast majority of Windows usage will actually log it as an Xbox 360 controller.

Lucreto

I never played long enough to drain the battery but it's a feature I would be happy to see fixed.

If they should give a choice of 2 elite controllers. One with the traditional PS4 stick positions and one with the Xbox/Nintendo position.

biteren

better stick material, better batterey, and vita Dpad

the button paddles on the grip is a great idea

im there is it gots the improvments

Qmzn

Neo Member
The third "pro" version is something that should have happened years ago, with cartridge modules that lock into a modular PCB. I feel like there's a killing to be made in replacement parts, and not just for worn-out analogs. You can offer analogs with tighter springs, 6-face-button versions for fighters, color-coded cosmetic sets, and so on, all at an absurd markup.

But as it's been said, it's an old patent. Perhaps modular parts are a manufacturing boondoggle.

Valve should really do something similar with the next Steam Controller, unless the Sony patent has shut them out.

LordOfChaos

I don't get how the pressability of buttons on the grip innards would work. The Elites paddles work because they extend outwards from where the actual mechanism is, to where your fingers rest. This seems awkward.

Especially if you use both your index and middle finger on L1/L2 at the same time, but I guess that's a less common grip.

Anyways that's all fine, I just hope the build comes up to par or better. DS4 is light years ahead of DS3, but it still feels like a cheap toy, while MS has been really making the controllers great.

If they give this controller a premium feel, I'd pay anywhere up to $200 dollars. The material quality of the elite on a DS4 is my dream. There have been time where I wanted to buy multiplats on for my Xbox just because I love that controller so much.

Imagine, a hard matte premium feel, 4 interchangeable metal / magnetic paddles, interchangeable button arrangements, a better LED, quality glass on the touch pad, premium thumbsticks, premium triggers, and nice grips / textures on the bottom of this thing. Bluetooth for wireless headphones. Perhaps even a better built in speaker and a larger battery!!!! Ohhh I might even pay $300 for that.

Bl@de

34 doesn't make sense. Why change the connector? That would make it incompatible to charging stations etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom