• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New(er) Simpsons is so weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I don't know how old this episode is cause I stopped watching a decade ago, but just saw it on TV now and Homer is talking about masturbating...wat

Dishwalla

Banned
Simpsons is boring as shit, it lost all of its edge and appeal. It's very rare that I can make it through a full HD episode whenever they pop up on FXX, usually change the channel or turn the TV off partway.

glaurung

The Simpsons degraded into a shallow political and inane cameo vessel shortly after season 12. Most of the stuff before that is good comedy, with the absolute peak being seasons 3 to 9.

As the seasons continued from 12 to 18 and beyond, the show is nothing but an endless streak of bad guest appearances, soul crushingly boring plot lines, zero jokes and weird moralizing. It is essentially shit nowadays.

Luckily we have Rick and Morty for good creative comedy and South Park for good social commentary.

Balb

Eh, whenever I catch an episode from the past few years, I'm at least mildly entertained. They're not great but they're better than the early solo Jean years (seasons 13-17) at least. The voice acting has definitely taken a nosedive though. Some of the actors sound old and tired.

Dishwalla

Banned
South Park sucks too. Every one praised last season, and yeah the story arc over the whole season was cool, the problem was it just wasn't funny. Don't understand people.

Also I hate how current it is, makes it hard to rewatch it even a couple years later.

Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman are now the kings of great adult animation. I just imagine the Simpsons ended at around season 11, since I never watch episodes past that.

Edit: And Archer.

UberTag

Should I make my obligatory "there are 3 to 4 decent episodes per season which make me happy the show is still on the air" post?

Nah, don't really feel like it this time. If anything, I'm surprised the OP kicked things off with something so tame.
I can think of a dozen worse crimes against humanity modern Simpsons have committed since a one-off joke in an episode over 11 years ago.

tib

Neo Member
The Simpsons degraded into a shallow political and inane cameo vessel shortly after season 12. Most of the stuff before that is good comedy, with the absolute peak being seasons 3 to 9.

As the seasons continued from 12 to 18 and beyond, the show is nothing but an endless streak of bad guest appearances, soul crushingly boring plot lines, zero jokes and weird moralizing. It is essentially shit nowadays.

Another fellow reader of the Dead Homer Society, heh?

For the OP, everything is explained here: https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

Ban Puncher

They should stop paying the voice actors millions of dollars per episode for their phoned in performances and funnel some of that budget into hiring better comedic writers. If Harry Shearer throws another tantrum, tell him to hit bricks.

I'd rather a slightly different sounding humorous Mr. Burns than the current unfunny one.

cacildo

Its funny to think that modern simpsons is so bad that even the simpsons toys they sell today only mention the classic seasons

I got random lego simpsons characters last year and ms krabappel has a Woodrow picture, milhouse is dressed as fallout boy and dr hibert has the xray of homer with the crayon in his brain

South Park sucks too. Every one praised last season, and yeah the story arc over the whole season was cool, the problem was it just wasn't funny. Don't understand people.

Also I hate how current it is, makes it hard to rewatch it even a couple years later.

I haven't been able to sit through the Simpsons since we had gems such as Saddlesore Galactica. But it was pretty awful from around 2000 on. Can't even rewatch the classic era anymore.

I probably stopped South Park around the same time but I did like the WoW episode and I did randomly catch one about Cockfighting/ Magic The Gathering. That was hilarious but enough to make me watch the show again.

Kinyou

I think South Park's last season certainly had some lows, but it doesn't come close to this soulless carcass that goes by the name of Simpsons.

IvanJ

Banned
To me, Simpsons got boring about 15 years ago, there's nothing there to entertain me anymore. It seems that they just make random episodes revolving around random celebrities.

SMG

South Park is better than it ever was.

Have there been any major events in the show over the past, say, 15 years? Like characters being written off/killed/whatever, or new regular characters?

I know they got rid of Maude Flanders, and Mrs Krabappel.

Ahasverus

Thw opinions on this thread smh. New Simpsons from season 21 on is good with semi frequent above - good episodes and South Park is the best comedy show on tv right now. Y'all need Jesus

freoleo29

That's a really old episode though also it was actually a pretty good one just watched it on channel 11 too, I think you'll find they play these old episodes at that 7:00 weeknight timeslots, newer episodes aren't til like 8:30 or 9

This is in Australia btw

Syder

Worst thing about New Simpsons is way the characters sound. Like, I know it's the classic cast of voice actors but they all sound way off. I don't know if it's aging or modern microphones and recording methods but it totally break the illusion of it even potentially being like The Simpsons I know and love.

Go pick up whatever was good in the 90s and record with that, the show would instantly improve.

entremet

So what happened to the Simpsons? Did they lose their best writers years ago? Because the show is night and day from its prime.

Worst thing about New Simpsons is way the characters sound. Like, I know it's the classic cast of voice actors but they all sound way off. I don't know if it's aging or modern microphones and recording methods but it totally break the illusion of it even potentially being like The Simpsons I know and love.

Go pick up whatever was good in the 90s and record with that, the show would instantly improve.

It's been almost 30 years. The VAs are getting old. Imagine 30 years of Julie Kavner doing that raspy Marge voice.

Future

It's been almost 30 years. The VAs are getting old. Imagine 30 years of Julie Kavner doing that raspy Marge voice.

They sound amazingly close actually considering how long it's been. I saw the Halloween episode last season and didn't notice much different in the acting (I rarely watch Simpsons anymore though so this is all based on memory)

Halloween episode was really good too. While Simpson quality has clearly changed, what really has changed is the audience. You guys also aged 30 or so years. Tastes change and you've already seen all the good character related jokes and top tier episodes. Anything they do will be naturally compared to something better

I watched an episode recently that involved Sideshow Bob and a rip-off of the film Face/Off.

New Simpsons is so strange but still better than most of the stuff on TV.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Considering how far The Simpsons has fallen, it's all the more amazing that South Park continues to be hilarious and poignant.

New Simpsons is so strange but still better than most of the stuff on TV.

3FkBMcw.gif

Future

Considering how far The Simpsons has fallen, it's all the more amazing that South Park continues to be hilarious and poignant.

I haven't watched South Park in years. Is it really that funny still or is it that people enjoy the topical satire so much it elevates it up. I ask because in this thread there are people talking shit about it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I haven't watched South Park in years. Is it really that funny still or is it that people enjoy the topical satire so much it elevates it up. I ask because in this thread there are people talking shit about it.

I think it's been hilarious, though I do enjoy topical satire.

It also has turned into a serialized show, with season-long stories, which I think has done a great job keeping the show fresh.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
To me, Simpsons got boring about 15 years ago, there's nothing there to entertain me anymore. It seems that they just make random episodes revolving around random celebrities.
That's how I feel about it too. Before, a celebrity appearance was at least somewhat relevant to the plot of the episode and the characters either make jokes about it, or bounce jokes off of them.

But these days, it's always like "HEY, IT'S THESE GUYS!" and then those guys go "HEYYYYY IT'S US" and then that's the entire content of the episode every time they're on camera.

Having discovered FX Now/Simpsons World via Xbox One there are some later season episodes I've come to like but bouncing back and forth between later and classic the later ones are like rapid fire on the next joke or gag. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Also they love licensed song montages.

The thing I notice most with the simpsons now is that the voice cast just sounds run down. Don't know if it improved in the past few seasons but watching it a couple of years ago Julie Kavner's Marge voice sounded only slightly removed from a death rattle and Nancy Cartwright was barely bothering to mask her voice for Bart.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

The only one of the actors who genuinely can't read the lines anymore is Julie Kavner, her voice has gone completely. The other actors are just phoning it in, there is so little acting compared to the classic seasons.

Jme

Wiki on this article gives more detail about Homer discussing masturbation:

After an expansive confession session (with Homer concluding that he has been "masturbating eight billion times" and "has no intention of stopping", which was a first for the series, since no character prior to this episode ever discussed such subject matter, due to fear of censorship[citation needed]) Homer decides to convert to Catholicism as well to be absolved of his sins

Dr.Social

Banned
Have there been any major events in the show over the past, say, 15 years? Like characters being written off/killed/whatever, or new regular characters?

Patty came out as a lesbian and Ned married Mrs. Krabappel before she died. There's probably more, but I try to avoid modern Simpsons.

I've been grabbing cheap sets of the first few seasons and watching them as I go.
A season 17 rerun was in TV yesterday and the voices sounded much different, especially Lisa. It was crazy.

Richie

I'll let my friend Wikipedia explain this one:

Fat Tony dies in the twenty-second season episode "Donnie Fatso", only to be replaced by his slimmer cousin "Fit Tony". By the end of that episode, Fit Tony has taken to eating as a way of dealing with the stress of assassination attempts. His weight gain causes a change of nickname to "Fit Fat Tony" and eventually "Fat Tony", essentially restoring the original character

Yeaaaah. Oh, Bender from Futurama resides in The Simpsons' basement now, too.

So what happened to the Simpsons? Did they lose their best writers years ago? Because the show is night and day from its prime.

While it's true that several personnel from the golden years have long left the show, there's still a number of veterans working on it. The real culprit is time. It's been almost 30 years. Next season the series is gonna air its 600th episode, jeez. It was already crazy that the show achieved almost a full decade's worth of ininterrumpted greatness, there's no way that level of consistency and depth was gonna be kept for 20 more years. It's bittersweet listening to the staff that worked on Seasons 8 and 9, explaining they got way more experimental and out there because everyone thought the show was gonna end then.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Patty came out as a lesbian and Ned married Mrs. Krabappel before she died. There's probably more, but I try to avoid modern Simpsons.

Selma adopted a Chinese baby. What's weird is that she actually went through rapid soap opera aging. She's like five the last time they showed her.

And yeah as noted above, they killed Fat Tony... only to replace him with his identical cousin. That was horrid.

Anung

Un Rama
Selma adopted a Chinese baby. What's weird is that she actually went through rapid soap opera aging. She's like five the last time they showed her.

And yeah as noted above, they killed Fat Tony... only to replace him with his identical cousin. That was horrid.

I will always bring this up but Selma fell in love and married Grandpa.

latest

Fucking KILL ME.

vypek

I will always bring this up but Selma fell in love and married Grandpa.

latest

Fucking KILL ME.

That was foreshadowed though. They straight up said they would be doing crazy weddings in the show. It was in that song "We'll Never Stop The Simpsons"

I think everything in that song came to fruition in later episodes.

I'm watching "Behind the Laughter" right now and its crazy how much of the stuff in that episode is true about the actual run of the show in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom