• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New(er) Simpsons is so weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

That was foreshadowed though. They straight up said they would be doing crazy weddings in the show. It was in that song "We'll Never Stop The Simpsons"

I think everything in that song came to fruition in later episodes.

Beaten to it!

1225766.jpg

I think Bart has yet to own a bear though.

RangerX

Banned
It is weird yes and it is also a complete load of Donkey balls. If The Simpsons aired for the first time as it is now it would be cancelled within a season. The classic seasons were a cultural phenomenon. I wouldn't even called the current seasons good in comparison to whats on tv today.

Richie

Yup. Even when The Simpsons are bad they're still pretty good.

I dispute this. There's absolute shit like, off the top of my head, Days of Future Future and The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed that aren't good in the slightest let alone superior to the best TV's offering now. The Simpsons at their worst can be horrendously unfunny and if anything it's even worse than shows that were always crap because The Simpsons used to be on a quality league of their own.

The Simpsons degraded into a shallow political and inane cameo vessel shortly after season 12. Most of the stuff before that is good comedy, with the absolute peak being seasons 3 to 9.

As the seasons continued from 12 to 18 and beyond, the show is nothing but an endless streak of bad guest appearances, soul crushingly boring plot lines, zero jokes and weird moralizing. It is essentially shit nowadays.

Luckily we have Rick and Morty for good creative comedy and South Park for good social commentary.

Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman are now the kings of great adult animation. I just imagine the Simpsons ended at around season 11, since I never watch episodes past that.

Edit: And Archer.

https://youtu.be/7ecYoSvGO60

I'm sure everyone has already seen it, but just in case.

Dr.Social

Banned
Selma adopted a Chinese baby. What's weird is that she actually went through rapid soap opera aging. She's like five the last time they showed her.

And yeah as noted above, they killed Fat Tony... only to replace him with his identical cousin. That was horrid.

Yeah they did the same thing to Snowball II, but I don't really count it since it doesn't change the status quo.

UberTag

Have there been any major events in the show over the past, say, 15 years? Like characters being written off/killed/whatever, or new regular characters?

I know they got rid of Maude Flanders, and Mrs Krabappel.
Comic Book Guy got himself hitched to a Japanese manga enthusiast named Kumiko. So they're now a regularly featured couple.

And, in case you missed it, Milhouse's parents got back together and actually wound up getting re-married before Homer and Marge did. Homer was technically divorced from Marge when he married his (now deceased) Vegas wife, Amber thanks to a snafu with Reverend Lovejoy's minister's license.

Syder

It's been almost 30 years. The VAs are getting old. Imagine 30 years of Julie Kavner doing that raspy Marge voice.
They sound amazingly close actually considering how long it's been. I saw the Halloween episode last season and didn't notice much different in the acting (I rarely watch Simpsons anymore though so this is all based on memory)

Halloween episode was really good too. While Simpson quality has clearly changed, what really has changed is the audience. You guys also aged 30 or so years. Tastes change and you've already seen all the good character related jokes and top tier episodes. Anything they do will be naturally compared to something better
The only one of the actors who genuinely can't read the lines anymore is Julie Kavner, her voice has gone completely. The other actors are just phoning it in, there is so little acting compared to the classic seasons.
I think Kavner is the exception and either the rest of the cast are phoning it in completely or the recording set up takes all the life and soul out of the performances. Either way it fucking sucks and if I catch a random episode of new Simpsons as soon as someone starts talking I'm put off.

vypek

Something that I feel is weird is that it feels a lot more silent in newer episodes. Like transition sounds are missing for scenes and there is just "ambient noise" in some scenes. Feels odd.

I forgot Comic Book Guy got married. That was a nice development.

You guys also aged 30 or so years. Tastes change and you've already seen all the good character related jokes and top tier episodes. Anything they do will be naturally compared to something better
I disagree. I (and probably a lot of others) rewatched all the classic episodes during the Every Simpsons Ever marathon about a year and a half ago, and if anything the old episodes are even better now because I got more of the jokes.

To me there is a definitive splitting point between classic and garbage episodes, and it's when Phil Hartman and all his characters died. They tried to replace them with the terribly unfunny Gill, and it was game over for me.

jstripes

Banned
I just pretend The Simpsons ended a decade or so ago. It works for me. When I see an ad for it, I forget the ad two seconds later.

At this point there is probably more bad episodes then good ones.

It was only good for 9 or 10 seasons, and we're on, what, 26 now? So there's no "probably" about it.

You genuinely can't say it's a good tv show anymore considering that there are way more bad seasons than good seasons.

It's now just a bad show that had good early seasons. It's really sad.

At this point there is probably more bad episodes then good ones.
There's probably very nearly twice as many bad episodes as good ones.

You genuinely can't say it's a good tv show anymore considering that there are way more bad seasons than good seasons.

It's now just a bad show that had good early seasons. It's really sad.
It's "good early seasons" lasted longer than most good shows do in their entire runs.

EDIT: I would say the last truly golden season was Season 8, which would give it 178 episodes total as a solid gold run, with some genuinely good episodes parsed here and there in Seasons 9 and 10. Seinfeld, in comparison, ran for nine seasons and had 180 or so episodes (depending on how you count the hour long episodes). That's a huge chunk of good TV for the Simpsons.

PSqueak

Banned
This thread should now be 'Pictures of New Simpsons that shows how whack it is'.

I'll start with a simple image search:

how-the-test-was-won.jpg

I have no idea how this fits into anything.

This one didn't actually happen, Homer is uninsured for a day and he ponders about things that could go wrong, so he has this final destination styled fantasy where marge's book club suffers a horrible accident and only marge and lindsay survive and they start making out for no reason.

Something that I feel is weird is that it feels a lot more silent in newer episodes. Like transition sounds are missing for scenes and there is just "ambient noise" in some scenes. Feels odd.

I forgot Comic Book Guy got married. That was a nice development.

Great comment there, i also noticed how bland the sound is in newer episodes, it's weird to describe.

This thread should now be 'Pictures of New Simpsons that shows how whack it is'.

how-the-test-was-won.jpg

Sorry but this image always has me bust out laughing, not just for the content but how much it's hated amongst Simpsons super-fanatics.

And come on, sure Modern Simpsons isn't hey-day good, but there are still some great gags, and when they nail them, they really nail them

699365.gif

SIMPSONSFOXNEWS.jpg

R4fODtb.gif

Does it get better? I didn't like the 1st Season much.

I HATTTTEEDD season 1. I gave season 2 a chance, and like magic all of the characters grew on me and eventually clicked. I could even rewatch season 1 with relative ease. It's filled the gaping hole King of the Hill left behind.

Lothars

Hell-fucking-no
He's more correct in that than you are.

Simpsons gets unfairly shit on for the quality. It still has some really good episodes in the later seasons that are absolutely worth watching.

Sorry but this image always has me bust out laughing, not just for the content but how much it's hated amongst Simpsons super-fanatics.

And come on, sure Modern Simpsons isn't hey-day good, but there are still some great gags, and when they nail them, they really nail them

I HATTTTEEDD season 1. I gave season 2 a chance, and like magic all of the characters grew on me and eventually clicked. I could even rewatch season 1 with relative ease. It's filled the gaping hole King of the Hill left behind.
Agreed, I feel the same way as you about the later simpsons seasons.

I should give bob's burgers a chance again because I hate season 1 and think it's a poor show but if it gets better in the following seasons than maybe it's worth going through it.

UberTag

To me there is a definitive splitting point between classic and garbage episodes, and it's when Phil Hartman and all his characters died. They tried to replace them with the terribly unfunny Gill, and it was game over for me.
The actual break between consistent quality and hit-or-miss performance and a staff that was largely out of ideas and resting on their laurels is when Mike Scully took over as showrunner in Season 9. That marked the end of the Classic era.

Of course, Phil Hartman's death and the phasing out of Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz was a far more pronounced and visible milestone so that's an understandable perspective on your part. It's not like people can tell when a different showrunner takes the helm. (Actually that's not entirely true... the difference between Matt Selman episodes and Al Jean episodes in the HD era is like night and day.)

how-the-test-was-won.jpg

This one didn't actually happen, Homer is uninsured for a day and he ponders about things that could go wrong, so he has this final destination styled fantasy where marge's book club suffers a horrible accident and only marge and lindsay survive and they start making out for no reason.
Yep, the Lindsey Naegle-Marge kiss only took place in Homer's imagination.

The Gaga kiss, on the other hand, did not.

tumblr_m47oa7NiQS1rvyop3o1_500.gif

Plenty of shows start off slow and take some time to find their footing. Especially comedies. Bob's Burgers found its way eventually and is now easily the most consistently entertaining and well-written show on the FOX Sunday night schedule.

1168626.gif

The day the Simpsons died for this fan. Threw in the towel at this scene.

Edit: I just remembered that this was the 300th episode. I was hyped as fuck to watch this, all the promos made it seem like the biggest thing to happen. Seeing this scene just completely deflated the balloon.

UberTag

The day the Simpsons died for this fan. Threw in the towel at this scene.
You lasted longer than I did. That said, I was able to fall back into Simpsons fandom and catch up on the good moments I missed after the movie. There ARE good moments still. It's just that their buried in a sea of crap.

And, for the few of you who aren't aware, I happily scour through said sea of crap to pluck the gold nuggets of Simpsons goodness out and call them to everyone's attention each and every season. You don't need to suffer through the "weird" of modern Simpsons - and you can still enjoy it. Just don't watch it regularly. Let me suffer for you and when there's a decent episode that won't insult your intelligence with dueling mid-air skateboard combat, I'll be sure to let you know.

FYI, anyone perusing this thread needs to take the time to watch Halloween of Horror from last season. Easily one of the Top 5 episodes in the past decade and it's up for an Emmy next month.

Should I make my obligatory "there are 3 to 4 decent episodes per season which make me happy the show is still on the air" post?

Nah, don't really feel like it this time. If anything, I'm surprised the OP kicked things off with something so tame.
I can think of a dozen worse crimes against humanity modern Simpsons have committed since a one-off joke in an episode over 11 years ago.

I hope you do continue them on though. I've watched your highest rated Simpsons episodes and I usually do find them enjoyable for the most part. I personally like up to Season 13 so one day I'd like to create my own "Season 14" with all the episodes that are watchable in one season and cut out the rest for my HTPC.

vypek

You lasted longer than I did. That said, I was able to fall back into Simpsons fandom and catch up on the good moments I missed after the movie. There ARE good moments still. It's just that their buried in a sea of crap.

And, for the few of you who aren't aware, I happily scour through said sea of crap to pluck the gold nuggets of Simpsons goodness out and call them to everyone's attention each and every season. You don't need to suffer through the "weird" of modern Simpsons - and you can still enjoy it. Just don't watch it regularly. Let me suffer for you and when there's a decent episode that won't insult your intelligence with dueling mid-air skateboard combat, I'll be sure to let you know.

FYI, anyone perusing this thread needs to take the time to watch Halloween of Horror from last season. Easily one of the Top 5 episodes in the past decade and it's up for an Emmy next month.

I've actually been enjoying the Treehouse of Horrors a lot for the past couple of seasons. I think they even managed to air one or two of them in October

PSqueak

Banned
I've actually been enjoying the Treehouse of Horrors a lot for the past couple of seasons. I think they even managed to air one or two of them in October

If i recall correctly one was a regular episode happening during halloween and the other was the traditional treehouse episode of the year.

UberTag

Yeah, last year's Treehouse episode was trash and I don't expect this year's (aka Episode 600) to be any better given that the same lead writer and animation director are attached.

Steal This Episode was great and I think this letter (which is seen onscreen for like 3 seconds) shows that at some level they still understand what makes these characters tick.

OnTl83I.png

Barthood and Holidays of Future Passed make me think they should just do a season with the characters aged up to finish off the series.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Think I dropped out around s18, couldn't take it anymore. Classic Simpsons worked because there was a showrunner switch every 2 seasons, which made everything fresh again. For instance David Mirkin's s5-6 feel way different than Oakley/Weinstein's s7-8.

It was this, in combination with endless rewriting and striving for perfection that gave us the golden age. Scully was the first showrunner to go beyond 2 seasons at the helm, and he just spiraled out of control from s11 onwards. Mike Scully is actually a really funny guy (his tweets make me crack up sometimes), but he's a terrible showrunner, at least in s11-12.

Jean's early seasons were pretty decent (s13-15 ish), but then he stagnated and as a result you get a bunch of samey feeling episodes, that quickly grow stale. He's just keeping the series on life support for... about 13 years now?

It's a sad state of affairs, but then I look at my row of golden age dvd's, which remind me that the golden age will always be there and will never go away. For me still the finest tv comedy ever written. 20 more seasons of hit 'n mostly miss will never change that.

Ahasverus

Barthood and Holidays of Future Passed make me think they should just do a season with the characters aged up to finish off the series.
They've been going there for a while, I guess they will. I liked Barthood, the part where he talks to grandpa's gravestone killed me (Of sadness, so you know).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thanks god Bob's Burgers, especially past the 1st season, is carrying the torch.
Then we have Rick & Morty, South Park which can still put up great episodes and pretty good seasons overall and Regular Show which is still on the rise of quality after 7 seasons and a movie.

Those series are all waiting for the new season to air on Sept/Fall, so I need something to binge watch and carry me over until then, any suggestions? Tried watching Aqua Teen HF but it seemed bad to me, dunno, only gave Archer a shot with an episode but it seemed more action/edgy humor than proper comedy?
I'm open to anything comedy.

I mean, sorry to derail but I'm even up to non-animated, I'm watching The Vice Principals atm, pretty good, you know I wish Gervais put out a new good show, or that Hello Ladies hadn't lasted just one season or that the greatness of Togetherness hadn't been canceled at S2 :(
Is Larry David prepping anything? Louie's still on hold too, sigh

I need help GAF, I just moved to a different Country and need good shit to watch during my lonely dinners, something to put a smile on my face and tide me over till my fiancee gets here as well

https://youtu.be/7ecYoSvGO60

I'm sure everyone has already seen it, but just in case.

Holy shit!! I hadn't seen it, thanks so much man!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I haven't watched any Rick & Morty, Bojack or Bob's Burgers. I need to get my act together.

Is the movie considered part of Simpsons at their prime?

For me: absolutely not. The first time I realized I was done with the show was after seeing the movie. Not even close to the golden age.

Myriadis

Which season was the 24 parody one? I think that was the last time I saw a simpsons episode in full, even though I liked that one.
Watched some episode for a minute where Lady Gaga plays a role and felt like it would take quite a while for me to get back in and that wasn't worth it for me,so I stopped completely.

Ah yes I watched that one too. It was actually pretty good.

I think its quality peaks at roughly the level of episode 300, which is the Tony Hawk one. That puts it at marginally better than almost anything in the last decade or so.

The best thing about the movie is the 7-Eleven tie in, where we got Buzz Cola and pink glazed donuts with sprinkles. Simpsonsland at the Universal Studios parks is good, too.

Dishwalla

Banned
The Simpsons went off the air in 1998, although a few "lost" holdover episodes aired in the year or so afterwards. Whatever has aired since has been a completely different show.

Ogodei

The movie was good in the context of Simpsons as it was at the time. I went in dreading it because of how the show was going, but came out quite surprised.

I agree that there are a few episodes that really do well still. The future-set episodes could stand up with some of the lesser golden-era episodes, as could "Steal This Episode."

Their visual gags are still very good, it's the writing and the listless acting that drag it down. "Homer Live" stunt was a good example of this, Castellenata can't improv for shit apparently.

One of the last episodes I saw had Homer dryhumping a piece of meat in a love hotel. Then I remember another episode in which they went full defense force for Monsanto for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom