• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXV battle system footage and details, playable characters clarified

ConceptX

I'm fine with only playable Noctis considering he seemingly has access to multiple weapon types for different situations, and also has magic and hopefully summons.

He has the tools for every monster, and the strategy comes in different forms this time around, in execution of weapon selection for special attacks, magic weaknesses, timing, combos etc.

Battles looked much better on this stream, much faster and more fluid with smooth animations. I really like how the weapons "fly" into the monster.

Jarmel

Banned
injowk.gif

Dem air dashes. I really like what they've shown today.

ooooooooooooo

That looks amazing.

wmlk

Right, but running into a group of enemies, along with your buddies in the mix, I just see it hard to not be disoriented from time to time. If the camera were further out, maybe it would be better. Hopefully the demo will alleviate my fears.

I totally agree with that. Camera is way too close most of the time.

benzy

The animations between attack and warp looks so fluid.

it seems there's a quick warp between enemies or attacking an enemy? It doesn't show the warp icon like the one to distant places.

LuuKyK

The weapons better have a good amount of variation because I dont want to play this entire game with combos that consists of big sword > small sword > spear > dash, rinse and repeat. As if only Noctis being playable wasn't already a pretty bad choice in terms of variation.

I have faith though, so we will see.

Sami+

Hopefully they'll have a new environment to show at Jump Festa or something, getting kinda tired of this one lol.

Noctis all on that Omnislash time with a mix of Vergil's Spiral Swords.

I suppose the air dashes are a later ability and possibly upgradeable?

The automatic nature of things sounds like it's expanding on Sora's set animations based on what keyblade/abilities he had equipped, which may lead to just mashing Attack, but hey, it was fun in KH.

Exciting to think about the crazy abilities they may put into this.

Rootbeer

Banned
Love what I'm seeing. Looks like it plays like KH only with some badass warping mechanics which is what I was expecting.

wmlk

Main thing now is variety of battles. The fast-paced melee style action from E3 2013 seems to be getting there. Just need to see more. We've seen the same type of gameplay for way too long now, even when it was at its barebones form at 2011.

Nibel

Great gifs, raven777.

Wonder what the people who complained about 'too slow combat' complain next about now that it is proven that there are smaller/lighter weapons which make combat much faster.

BadWolf

So in terms of defensive options, so far we have the defend stance, teleporting, sword barrier and parry.

Very nice.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the Gambits are a form of treasure in FFXV too, if that is what they end up going with. I loved searching the world for more Gambits and finding those ones that pretty much changed everything about the potential of your AI during combat.

some were hard as fuck to find

Any word on if this game will have summons or anything?

Nooo...They should have the options as open as possible. That was one of the things they rectified in the Zodiac edition.

One thing I like is that bodies seem to stay dead on the battlefield now. No more mysteriously disappearing dead bodies. Let's hope they still have destructible environment in the game like they did in the E3 trailer.

SerTapTap

Sounds much better. I'm not really sure why "hold to keep attacking" is necessary but whatever, sounds like you can manually execute combos, possibly more effective ones.

Verendus

Banned
Jump is in, that's great. Traversal would feel unnatural without it. If they're giving us the control layout near the end of the year, they must pretty much be finalising things. The only thing they need to do now is provide quick warp.

Kain

OK, that was soooooooooooooooo much better.

Noctis being the only playable character is bullshit, but all those dashes seem fun as hell. For example:

vp59or.gif

wmlk

Jump is in, that's great. Traversal would feel unnatural without it. If they're giving us the control layout near the end of the year, they must pretty much be finalising things. The only thing they need to do now is provide quick warp.

Any faith in other styles of gameplay? We've literally seen almost all melee at this point.

Main thing now is variety of battles. The fast-paced melee style action from E3 2013 seems to be getting there. Just need to see more. We've seen the same type of gameplay for way too long now, even when it was at its barebones form at 2011.
how bad is your laptop? My phone scrolls smoothly.

Awesome fast translation from Gematsu! Gonna be reading that when I get a chance.

That's an over-exaggeration. In Kingdom Hearts, you too only play as Sora.

Yeah, but this is Final Fantasy where you're used to playing as several different characters in your party. Plus, I'm sure people were looking forward to playing as the other characters based on old Versus footage/information, so it's easy to see their disappointment.

But if we're going to be technical, you can play as other characters in several Kingdom Hearts games (ie: Re: CoM, BBS, DDD, etc).

Whether Noctis is the only playtable character or not, gameplay looks fun. It's not like his friends can switch weapons like he does anyway.

So in terms of defensive options, so far we have the defend stance, teleporting, sword barrier and parry.

Very nice.
I wonder what the risk/reward difference is between dodging and parrying. In a lot of games, parrying requires stricter timing to perfect, so perhaps we are rewarded differently if we parry instead of dodge?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Looks like the battle system will be very satisfying in regards to fluidity and speed but only controlling Noctis is turning me off to it.

Verendus

Banned
Any faith in other styles of gameplay? We've literally seen almost all melee at this point.
Well, they've said we only control Noctis so I guess not. It's going to come down to magic, skills, and summons. That should provide some variety. It's shaping up fine in my eyes. Manual switching is gone, but jump is in. The depth of it a is going to be in their deck system, but it'll play well at least. I'm just happy to see they're nailing things down.

I wonder what the risk/reward difference is between dodging and parrying. In a lot of games, parrying requires stricter timing to perfect, so perhaps we are rewarded differently if we parry instead of dodge?
Parrying allows you to counter attack with coop actions, which should do a lot of damage.

duckroll

Logically parry would lead into a counterattack of sorts for critical damage, while evading would allow you to reposition yourself instead.

BadWolf

They have already showed magic and we know summons are in. Not to mention Noctis was sticking enemies with summon swords ala Vergil.

Maybe a parry counter attack?

They could also do interesting stuff like customizing the benefit of a parry, like you might get a counter attack or some HP/MP back or effect the enemy with Poison etc.

Parrying allows you to counter attack with coop actions, which should do a lot of damage.
Wonder what happens if you're not in range of a party member. Maybe Noctis does his own special move that does less than a coop action.

Edit: Yeah, prolly a counter move if no one's near.

wmlk

Well, they've said we only control Noctis so I guess not. It's going to come down to magic, skills, and summons. That should provide some variety. It's shaping up fine in my eyes. Manual switching is gone, but jump is in. The depth of it a is going to be in their deck system, but it'll play well at least. I'm just happy to see they're nailing things down.

We haven't seen magic nor have we seen summons. If Noctis' abilities are that well realized that we can defeat almost all types of enemies with his moveset, then that's fine. It's just that there's not much hope for that since you can't warp anywhere.

I'll be happy if we see a magic-heavy battle for a change.

They have already showed magic and we know summons are in. Not to mention Noctis was sticking enemies with summon swords ala Vergil.

We also know that we're going to cry for weeks when the game ends.

We've seen 99% melee, and the 'summon swords' are all automatic.

Top Bottom