• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXV battle system footage and details, playable characters clarified

When he's fighting the soldiers, the swords do like, 150 damage, and the spear does 700+.

Would that mean that we're getting different types of melee (slash, crush and pierce) and each enemy is weaker to one?

That would be so cool.

Famassu

Any word on if this game will have summons or anything?
It's supposed to. At least Nomura's plans were to make Summons a really, REALLY big deal for the game, like they are some of the key fights & aim of making all of the Summon battles really memorable, partly story-wise (Leviathan attack) and partly completely optional (finding a summon & fighting it in some non-mandatory dungeon). And AFAIK, they were supposed to be the kind of battles many FFs with Summons have had: win them in combat -> get access to using them yourself.

They haven't really talked about the use of Summons in a long while, though, so we can't be sure how they'll be used (if any), but they should still be a part of the game in form of boss fights at the very least, it seems.

Dark_castle

Yeah, but this is Final Fantasy where you're used to playing as several different characters in your party. Plus, I'm sure people were looking forward to playing as the other characters based on old Versus footage/information, so it's easy to see their disappointment.

But if we're going to be technical, you can play as other characters in several Kingdom Hearts games (ie: Re: CoM, BBS, DDD, etc).

Yes I get the disappointment. I mean I myself is a strong advocate for complete, direct control of each party members with unique playstyle, but even without such option, there is still a lot to play with just Noctis. Not to mention there is some Gambit options that let us configure party A.I., so you still have some semblance of party control here.

There's going to be more grounds to cover with the gameplay, that is for sure.

Teremap

Banned
The weapons better have a good amount of variation because I dont want to play this entire game with combos that consists of big sword > small sword > spear > dash, rinse and repeat. As if only Noctis being playable wasn't already a pretty bad choice in terms of variation.

I have faith though, so we will see.
I do not understand this sentiment at all.

It's not as if Platinum games ever suffer because you only play a single set protagonist. The action combat system will demand your full attention anyway. It was only because the old games were turn-based (or psuedo-turn-based) that you were ever able to manage multiple party members at a time.

wmlk

When he's fighting the soldiers, the swords do like, 150 damage, and the spear does 700+.

Would that mean that we're getting different types of melee (slash, crush and pierce) and each enemy is weaker to one?

That would be so cool.

I think so. The greatsword barely does any damage when it should be doing a lot.

Famassu

That would be so cool.
Probably, they confirmed some more tactical elements like weaknesses to certain elementals, so it would make sense that different kinds of weapons have also their different attributes as well that work differently against different enemies, though whether that is just "this is slower and more powerful big sword, this is quicker but less deadly small sword" against everyone or a more complex "piercing, slash, crush type weapons + enemies with weaknesses to some" type of system, I'm not sure if the confirmed that yet.

It's supposed to. At least Nomura's plans were to make Summons a really, REALLY big deal for the game, like they are some of the key fights & aim of making all of the Summon battles really memorable, partly story-wise (Leviathan attack) and partly completely optional (finding a summon & fighting it in some non-mandatory dungeon). And AFAIK, they were supposed to be the kind of battles many FFs with Summons have had: win them in combat -> get access to using them yourself.

They haven't really talked about the use of Summons in a long while, though, so we can't be sure how they'll be used (if any), but they should still be a part of the game in form of boss fights at the very least, it seems.

Good sweet lord YES

God please let that happen

Verendus

Banned
We haven't seen magic nor have we seen summons. If Noctis' abilities are that well realized that we can defeat almost all types of enemies with his moveset, then that's fine. It's just that there's not much hope for that since you can't warp anywhere.

I'll be happy if we see a magic-heavy battle for a change.
They showed you magic in the last video. Granted, it was one spell, but there'll obviously be more. Summons will be in, it's Final Fantasy. They're not going to show everything at once.

Hopefully the Gambits are a form of treasure in FFXV too, if that is what they end up going with. I loved searching the world for more Gambits and finding those ones that pretty much changed everything about the potential of your AI during combat.

some were hard as fuck to find

Any word on if this game will have summons or anything?

I seriously hope not. Having artificially dumb ai that gets you killed because you didn't find a treasure chest is stupid. Having to turn off a characters G's and switch to them in the middle of battle because they were doing stupid bullshit because you forgot to micromanage their brains before a surprise boss battle happened was also insanely stupid. Makes the first half of FFXII one of the worst things I have ever played.

Take some inspiration from XIII, with specific overarching character roles that you can customize at will, and unlock skills for, but still make the base game ai automatically competent. If you have a preference, you can change it, hopefully mid-battle. Take it a step further and allow us to control/direct their positioning in mid battle (something that XIII sorely needed).

Styles

They showed you magic in the last video. Granted, it was one spell, but there'll obviously be more. Summons will be in, it's Final Fantasy. They're not going to show everything at once.

Exactly.

We're still more than a year away from release. I think some are asking for way too much. Just be glad that we're finally getting news.

I hope they're fightable at the very least. One of my favorite FF moments was going through the Deep Sea Research Center in VIII and stumbling across Bahamut.

BibiMaghoo

Only Noctis playable is trash.

Have to agree with this, very disappointing. This is not going to be the return to form I wanted. It's going to be a mishmash of action game full of modern trends, with some FF names and staples thrown in for good measure and ease.

Such a shame.

Servbot24

Banned
Whoever conducted the interview sure was a dick.

Battle system looks good though. Never understood the complaints about the button inputs being too simple from a series where traditionally all you do is navigate menus.

SerTapTap

Am I understanding this that there is only ONE playable character in the game? A FF game? Tell me I'm wrong please...

Does it really matter in this case? You're picking between 4 20something dudes wearing black and hair color has thus far appeared to be the only significant differentiating factor. I guess one has glasses.

Servbot24

Banned
Am I understanding this that there is only ONE playable character in the game? A FF game? Tell me I'm wrong please...

Seems to be going more of the character action route so this isn't terribly surprising. Of course you can still command your party and dictate their behavior.

Wut. It wasn't an interview, it was a live Q&A where they addressed major questions which have been popping up on the internet since the post-TGS interviews.

Well that certainly explains it ;)

Kssio_Aug

Great interview! Its pretty clear to me that Tabata knows what he is doing, and what he should do!

Also, thats good to hear:
"A: It’s there. Except for the character switching, everything that was in the E3 2013 trailer is still there. All the cool actions like the weapons barrier that surrounds Noctis called “Phantom Sword,” and the short warps and jumping from the Behemoth battle are in the actual game. We’ll release more information later on, so please look forward to it."

I can't wait for this game! Its gonna be a blast! 8D

Baleoce

I don't really know what to make of it to be honest. Looks flashy and makes for nice gifs. Whether that translates into a good game or not (specifically a good final fantasy game) is another question. Will have to wait for the demo.

Dark_castle

I thought FFXI and FFXIV only have you control one character directly? Crisis Core?

Granted they are MMO, but this is an ARPG, not turn-based RPG. Action titles very, very often features only one playable character.

Verendus

Banned
He says short warps are in. That's basically quick warp, isn't it? It has to be or else it would be weird. Game is going to play really good if that's the case.

x-Lundz-x

Seems to be going more of the character action route so this isn't terribly surprising. Of course you can still command your party and dictate their behavior.

Well, I guess we will need to see more of how it works. I realize there is a "main" character but not being able to customize and level any other party members would be a downer.

Does it really matter in this case? You're picking between 4 20something dudes wearing black and hair color has thus far appeared to be the only significant differentiating factor. I guess one has glasses.

Well, I guess getting rid of the female playable cast wasn't enough...

Swarna

Gambits should have all been unlocked from the beginning in XII considering all they do is cut down on micro-management time. Otherwise I absolutely loved them.

Not liking what's being shown for this game to be frank. Seems like a sub-par action game with dumbed-down mechanics or barely an RPG depending on how you look at it. Only one playable character doesn't help it. Going that route I'd expect the gameplay mechanics to be more fun and involving than KH-style "press X to win".

We'll see.

It's a cool awesome, but still hold A to awesome.

Time to let it go, this time for good.

There seems to be way more moves that requires active player inputs, like co-op moves and parry. The innards of the gambit/A.I system and the whole weapon deck is where it seems is the real meat of the battle system.

CHC

Ugh these questions are phrased so aggressively - "the E3 2013 trailer was a LIE?" - it's pretty gross.

It's like Tabata is on trial here. People need to calm down and just be a little open minded here.

Great interview! Its pretty clear to me that Tabata knows what he is doing, and what he should do!

Also, thats good to hear:
"A: It’s there. Except for the character switching, everything that was in the E3 2013 trailer is still there. All the cool actions like the weapons barrier that surrounds Noctis called “Phantom Sword,” and the short warps and jumping from the Behemoth battle are in the actual game. We’ll release more information later on, so please look forward to it."

I can't wait for this game! Its gonna be a blast! 8D

Sounds cool I guess character switching had to be scrapped and the overhaul of the KH battle system had to be done in order to release in a timely fashion. Everything else is intact I dig it.

Banned
Party management is a staple of JRPG's. At least in Xenoblade there were chain attacks (FFXV has this too) but I individually developed the other party members artes and could switch to them as the main character in the field menu.

I'll still play this though. Just a little disappointed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aggressive interview - I love it.

Begaria

I'm alright with one playable character. I mean, FFVSXIII was supposed to be based on concepts from Kingdom Hearts and to be an evolved form of that. I expected it as much. Your party AI and this gambit-like system hopefully will be top notch to compensate.

wmlk

Party management is a staple of JRPG's. At least in Xenoblade there were chain attacks (FFXV has this too) but I individually developed the other party members artes and could switch to them as the main character in the field menu.

I'll still play this though. Just a little disappointed.

Meh, honestly it's best to look at every video game as a video game and not just something confined in its genre. There are literally no drawbacks to that approach.

BadWolf

*shrug* I'm personally glad that they are going for something new.

If I want to experience old battle systems and mechanics then there are countless RPGs out there that have them.

Only Noctis is playable? R.I.P. What is the point of a multiple character party when only one is playable? Just call it Noctis appears: Final Fantasy XV. I'm finding it increasingly hard to still care about this game.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
made few gifs

http://giant.gfycat.com/DarlingAssuredBighorn.gif[/MG]

[IMG]http://giant.gfycat.com/ForthrightGrimAsianwaterbuffalo.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://giant.gfycat.com/FocusedSplendidBufeo.gif[/MG]

[IMG]http://giant.gfycat.com/MelodicEqualDunnart.gif[/MG]
I wish [url]http://pomf.se/[/url] works in my country....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the GIF

man, the battle system looks really great!

duckroll

He says short warps are in. That's basically quick warp, isn't it? It has to be or else it would be weird. Game is going to play really good if that's the case.

If you're talking about warps from enemy to enemy within the battlefield, yes that's in. It's a sort of teleport attack I think, while the actual warps are more about escaping to a higher location quickly.

Top Bottom