• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Final Fantasy III weekly Jump scan

ethelred

Man, this game looks simply spectacular. My #1 most anticipated DS game, and it can't come soon enough.

By the way, someone asked in the other (closed) thread what's new in this game.

As far as has been said so far, the additions / revisions are:

- Touch screen gameplay. You'll be able to use the touch screen for full control.
- The characters will now all have names, personalities, histories, and actually be real characters instead of FF1 clones.
- Story changes
- Rebalanced and revised jobs. Possibly new jobs as well.
- New graphics.
- Wifi.

And it hasn't been said, but I'd personally bet on the game having an ATB system added, personally.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, I'm really starting to anticipate this now. I don't like the original FFIII - think it's the worst in the series (even worse than MQ) - but they seem to really be giving this a classy overhaul. I doubt it'll much resemble FFIII by the end at this rate. Awesome.

duckroll

Wow that looks fucking awesome. Where do these satanic engines that Square Enix keeps digging up come from? First KH2, then FFXII, then this. It's like the software opens a portal from hell to deliver graphics beyond the machine's capability! O_O

duckroll said:
Wow that looks fucking awesome. Where do these satanic engines that Square Enix keeps digging up come from? First KH2, then FFXII, then this. It's like the software opens a portal from hell to deliver graphics beyond the machine's capability! O_O

Yah, they simply know how to make the most out of the systems they develop on, especially considering this is their first real effort so far, all the more impressive. I'd love to see what they can pull off on a PSP too.

That piece of art is nice. A bit retro, like typical fantasy art from the 70s and 80s.

Anyone reconize the Amano character art from the logo? I can't distinctively recall that image but I'm reminded Amano's work on Butz from FF V.

Ponn

Banned
yum yum, FF III looking good. Do we have any release dates on JP or NA release yet? I imagine next year at earliest for NA though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Amir0x said:
Man, I'm really starting to anticipate this now. I don't like the original FFIII - think it's the worst in the series (even worse than MQ) - but they seem to really be giving this a classy overhaul. I doubt it'll much resemble FFIII by the end at this rate. Awesome.

Didn't like FFIII? Blasphemy! It's like my second or third favorite in the actual series so I am anticipating this with baited breath, its my second most wanted DS game right behind New Super Mario Bros.

Oh and Frog, I think I heard somewhere that this game will include the original FFIII in there somewhere, not sure if that feature is still gonna be there.

Pellham

Banned
ethelred said:
Man, this game looks simply spectacular. My #1 most anticipated DS game, and it can't come soon enough.

By the way, someone asked in the other (closed) thread what's new in this game.

As far as has been said so far, the additions / revisions are:

- Touch screen gameplay. You'll be able to use the touch screen for full control.
- The characters will now all have names, personalities, histories, and actually be real characters instead of FF1 clones.
- Story changes
- Rebalanced and revised jobs. Possibly new jobs as well.
- New graphics.
- Wifi.

And it hasn't been said, but I'd personally bet on the game having an ATB system added, personally.

Freakin' lame. I liked how I created my own party in FFIII!
Oh well at least it appears to be 2 boys and 2 girls instead of an all boy party like the original.

Anyway IMO FFIII was the best of the FF titles (that i've played), so they really can't mess this one up too badly for me. Unless they cut out all of the cool secrets and stuff.

jarrod

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Do we have any release dates on JP or NA release yet? I imagine next year at earliest for NA though.
Summer 2006 is rumored for Japan, it that pans out we'll probably see in here in time for Xmas.

I'm more curious about the status of FFCC DS, DQ Monsters DS and Crisis Core...

duckroll

djtiesto said:
Oh and Frog, I think I heard somewhere that this game will include the original FFIII in there somewhere, not sure if that feature is still gonna be there.

That was a loooong time ago when Kawazu was still on the project and said they were doing "interesting things" with the touchscreen. Staff has since changed so I don't really expect the original to be in a remake of this caliber.

Deku

Banned
They got a scaled down FFXI airship setpiece in there for the boat. That's impressive in its own right.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hello? What about July for Japan that was rumored with online in the other thread? Does Jump confirm it? (Please answer this impatient person's question).

ziran

thanks neo.

looks great! really impressive visuals and art.

never played ff3, so i'm looking forward to this.

jarrod said:
Summer 2006 is rumored for Japan, it that pans out we'll probably see in here in time for Xmas.
hopefully.

Paulokj

Freakin' lame. I liked how I created my own party in FFIII!
Oh well at least it appears to be 2 boys and 2 girls instead of an all boy party like the original.

Anyway IMO FFIII was the best of the FF titles (that i've played), so they really can't mess this one up too badly for me. Unless they cut out all of the cool secrets and stuff.

U mean FFIII or FFVI? FFIII never was released in US or Europe, and FFVI was released under the name FFIII :S. this game is FFIII (JAPAN) that never was released here. :)

Paulokj said:
U mean FFIII or FFVI? FFIII never was released in US or Europe, and FFVI was released under the name FFIII :S. And this game is FFIII (JAPAN) that never was released here. :)

I think he means FFIIIj.

Pellham

Banned
Paulokj said:
U mean FFIII or FFVI? FFIII never was released in US or Europe, and FFVI was released under the name FFIII :S. this game is FFIII (JAPAN) that never was released here. :)

I mean the game that was posted here. It's not that hard to believe if you've played the game (around roughly when it came out).

ethelred

I am really, really hoping we get this game out in 2006 in America. I think it's possible, but I'm really hoping Square Enix and Nintendo manage it.

I'm also curious about FF Crystal Chronicles DS. I'm not suspicious the project has been canceled -- Wada reconfirmed it as in active development during the Wifi Conference where FFIII was first shown off -- but I'd really like to see some images and hear some news on that game, too. Crystal Chronicles DS isn't far behind FFIII for me in terms of most anticipated DS games -- portability and wifi online multiplay will make that game absolutely killer.

As for FFIII, I'm really excited and happy about all of the changes they've mentioned so far. I like that the characters will actually be real characters now, and I like that the story will be significantly evolved and fleshed out. By the end, this game will be pretty much like an entirely new Final Fantasy. And it looks so fucking gorgeous to boot.

Doogdogg

I'm quite suprise we hardly get jack when it comes to this game. Squenix seems to release screens for FF XII, KH2, that Dungoen DQ game, Valkyrie Profile. CoM, etc on a daily basis. Especially this is not that far off.

Anyway can't wait for this.

duckroll said:

I hear that every morning at 6 am sharp they sacrifice the blood of a virgin temp to the original Famicom cart of FFIII, which begins to glow with an unearthly hue and sucks the bleeding temp dry. The staff then takes this as a blessing to continue work.

Ponn

Banned
jarrod said:

I'm more curious about the status of FFCC DS, DQ Monsters DS and Crisis Core...

Hmm...not going to get my hopes up for both FFXII and FFIII for DS in the same holiday season. It just blows my mind thinking of all that FF goodness in that short of timeframe.

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
I hear that every morning at 6 am sharp they sacrifice the blood of a virgin temp to the original Famicom cart of FFIII, which begins to glow with an unearthly hue and sucks the bleeding temp dry. The staff then takes this as a blessing to continue work.

If there's no requirement for the temp to be female they shouldn't be having any problems getting a constant supply. :lol

Amir0x said:

You thought Mystic Quest was bad? I'm sorry, but its music kicked f'ing ass in my opinion. I'll avoid whether or not it was actually a decent game, as I haven't formulated a strong opinion. But I liked it.

duckroll said:
If there's no requirement for the temp to be female they shouldn't be having any problems getting a constant supply. :lol

Apparently this Famicom cart has no gender preference, so they've been using dudes. Ever wonder why the turnover rate at Square has always been so high? DUN DUN DUN.

jarrod

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Hmm...not going to get my hopes up for both FFXII and FFIII for DS in the same holiday season. It just blows my mind thinking of all that FF goodness in that short of timeframe.
Not only that, we'll probably be getting FF5/FF6 GBA this year too. :)

Ponn

Banned
jarrod said:
Not only that, we'll probably be getting FF5/FF6 GBA this year too. :)

I've said it a couple times but it's worth saying again, SQUARE-ENIX FUCKING OWNS 2006!

It's almost like their last hurrah before concentrating on next gen or something.

Chiggs

I need to get a DS Lite.

Speaking of which, anyone want to tell me why Square Enix seems to shun the PSP? It has a pretty big userbase, so what the hell is the problem? I know Crisis Core is coming, but the DS seems to usually get the better stuff.

If E3 comes and goes without some major PSP announcements from Square Enix, I'm personally going to--drumroll--write them a nasty letter filled with high levels of nerd rage.

Top Bottom