• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Video And Livestream Nomura Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game should give me a very strong plot complete with a memorable soundtrack so that I could get lost in this world for a long....long time.

Either than or SE should make a Chrono Cross sequel.

I like how they revealed what looks to be all of the cast of the game at the end even though we've not actually seen a few of them in any trailer to date, that was exciting when I saw all those new faces.

Zoe

The trailer says "Fabula Nova Crystallis" at the beginning, so I'm guessing no. The bits about them seeing the light of dying souls is still the same, and it's right out of FNC lore.

l'Cie are mentioned too, but they spelled it as lucii in the subs (or something like that). At first I thought it was a mistake, but maybe they've changed it to refer to people who are connected to the Lucis family.

wario

i wonder what happened to this girl from the 2011 trailer...

FF_XIII_Versus_Dragoon_girl.jpg

unless it's stella...

ZeroFate

I haven't really gone through the whole thread, but has anyone brought up the possibility that Agni could be in this game? The E3 trailer mentions that some "force" is after the crystal that Noctis could have (being the crown prince and all). Wasn't there a force after the crystal Agni's mentor had? I could totally see Agni's Philosophy taking place in the same world as FFXV. She's probably just going to be another party member (the one who summons). I'm willing to bet each member of your party will posses a crystal. Speaking of which, I really don't think (and hope) Noctis' buddies will make it past the first act. :p

This game has me sooo freakin excited. I don't think I've been this excited for a FF since 10. Didn't think SE would be able to reel me in after this disaster of a Gen... but so far this game is ticking off everything I've wanted in a FF.

Hoping for a 2014 release, but if I have to wait later and they deliver on a 30+ hour playtime... totally worth it.

Thought I'd take the time to do a bit of digging in old interviews to refresh ourselves, assuming all this information still applies (which is very possible) I hope this illuminates what XV is going to offer for some people.
Bolded important bits

On destructible environments
When the Behemoth runs through the city it will knock down telephone poles and tress while it chases Noctis. However, the Behemoth won’t attack the bridge seen in the trailer if Noctis doesn’t walk on it.

The fight with the Behemoth continues to a collapsing three-tiered highway road. Noctis will have to jump to move forward. Nomura says the route is not fixed. When he played through this area he scurried up an emergency staircase and climbed to the roof. To get to the tip-top point Nomura made Noctis climb up an air conditioner where he could see everything from up high, even hidden treasure chests.

On cutscene/scripted elements in battle
Nomura says events will be tied to a new system, which Nomura believes has never been done before.

Events will flow naturally in Final Fantasy Versus XIII and not feel like a game as seen in his other titles. Battles in Final Fantasy Versus XIII can change depending on a player’s action.

On exploration/World
Final Fantasy Versus XIII has an open world. Players will be able to explore it by using a car, which they can ride at any time. Monsters walk around on the field and sometimes the will pop up if you are just hanging around.

While exploring other parts of the world, you’ll come across villages, which are so spacious they astonished Nomura. As mentioned earlier, the field shifts from day to night and monsters react to the changes. Nomura stressed he does not think players will be able to do everything in one play through of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

The field is a natural world map with topography and a time system.. Obstacles can be razed on the field, like a bridge that’s sent flying after a behemoth charges into it. Events are said to be seamless and take place in real-time.

These two were discussed shortly after one another (airship after world map) and I'm guessing the FF games were something like FFVIII to FFXII, as since then we've seen that the world map is indeed like XII, so whether airships are still in isn't clear, perhaps it does go into a traditional top down world map when flying the airship.
"For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF#, with a small Noctis running about on the screen. But that didn’t look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FF#,"

“But, you can fly on the world map with an airship.”

On Battle system
You can have up to three characters in a party at a time, but other characters will stick around for event scenes. Dengeki explains you will be able to switch characters in the opening of the game.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will not have a job system for player characters, but enemies may fall into job classifications. The game has summons and vehicles to ride like chocobos and magic armor. You can also switch between characters.

Ignis is a tactician armed with throwing knives and support magic. A blonde haired boy can target enemy weak points with firearms and the scar-faced character goes into battle barehanded or with a pile bunker. Changing characters is optional. Players can stick to just using Noctis who wields a variety of weapons if they prefer.

The game has swords, axes, spears, handguns, machine, guns, rifles, bazookas, shotguns, and so forth. Players can equip weapons, multiple weapons, by setting them on a menu screen. Weapons can automatically change depending on your combo. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is designed for players to switch between characters in the middle of a fight. As an example, you can smash an enemy with a hammer to destroy part of it and then turn to Noctis who can hit it with a quick slash. The combo count will be retained even if you switch between characters.

All info taken from siliconera.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That looks so freaking incredible. I want to believe in Final Fantasy again dammit.

oh and btw PC VERSION PLEASE!

dramatis

Thought I'd take the time to do a bit of digging in old interviews to refresh ourselves, assuming all this information still applies (which is very possible) I hope this illuminates what XV is going to offer for some people.

All info taken from siliconera.
The game has been 'reannounced' as 15. As far as I'm concerned, it would be prudent to discard anything said in old interviews and work off new interviews instead. If you want to know if X feature/element will show up in the final game, it is better to ask now than to assume.

It's not about being contrary to ours, but "this is pretentious" is about the shitties, laziest kind of argument anyone can make ever because it doesn't mean ANYTHING.
I think you're being overly defensive.

Xpliskin

Take

Final Fantasy 7 + Kingdom hearts + Dark Souls + Devil May Cry 4

Put them in a blender.

Add chemical agent X .
Tetsuya Nomura's touch

Voila, your FFXIII Versus is ready*.

*Alchemy is a slow process, it takes roughly 9 years to complete

Pejo

Gold Member

Thanks for this! If this game really delivers on all the promises of the past 6 years, and can make me feel as good controlling the characters as I did watching the gameplay video, this could be the first great Final Fantasy in a long, long time.

Go_Ly_Dow

Take

Final Fantasy 7 + Kingdom hearts + Dark Souls + Devil May Cry 4

Put them in a blender.

Add chemical agent X .
Tetsuya Nomura's touch

Voila, your FFXIII Versus is ready*.

Alchemy is a slow process, it takes roughly 9 years to complete

+God of War!

The game has been 'reannounced' as 15. As far as I'm concerned, it would be prudent to discard anything said in old interviews and work off new interviews instead. If you want to know if X feature/element will show up in the final game, it is better to ask now than to assume.

Yes, I made that pretty clear in the post.
But everything we've seen (so far) as XV is in line with the original information.

Noctis has a really ugly smile as a child, eek.

I'm hoping this game jumps around with characters at certain points, like FFVI did and then rejoin everyone again. Could happen at the first invasion!

Looking forward to the chocobos and colours. More colours, please! So much black in this game. Then again, there is blondie's hair...

Famassu

Are you kidding? how is blindly saying no its not, with nothing to back it up, even an argument. Do you understand how paired cinematic animations even work? If it wasn't smoke and mirrors, explain why in the video at 2:12 the player specifically places himself directly next to the car and waits for the behemoth to attack, the camera then cuts once an attack is started showing a cinematic sequence with your ally protecting you. After the cinematic sequence is over, the camera cuts back to game play, the behemoth is rotated 180 degrees, your ally is across the arena facing the behemoth, and the car you were standing next to is no longer behind you but behind the behemoth. Smoke and mirrors.
Uh... you do understand that the trailer doesn't cut to a moment that's right after to that "saving the bro" moment? It's not smoke and mirrors if the game has made the game in a way that the AI characters stay close to you and sometimes do stuff like save you from enemy attacks. That's actually refreshingly USEFUL from a genre that usually has quite brainless companions that are nothing but a hindrance most of the time. It's not smoke and mirrors, it's just a way of sprinkling short cinematic moments amidst combat in a genre where you usually don't have anything like that, but are fighting fighting fighting all the time.

In order to have these one off animations with an authored camera and specific characters interacting with each other. You have to teleport each character together and keep their relative distance exactly the same every time and in a safe location. Otherwise one character might be off screen or inside each others geometry. So are you suggesting this one off animation only happens when you stand in front of that car waiting for an attack? Or are you suggesting that if you are on the other side of the arena and the behemoth initiates a paired attack you get teleported to the other side of the arena to watch this one off. Smoke and mirrors.
Yes, that's basically what I'm suggesting, though it doesn't have to be near the car. The car has nothing to do with it. I don't mind if there's a HOLY SHIT moment like a Behemoth destroying a bridge I chose to run on. It might take control away for a few seconds but what it gives in atmosphere & feel of the battles is way more important.

Its amazing that somehow you can look at this, then at FF13 and say they are different in every way. They were attempting to do jumping around and attaching to things with an action rpg style as early as the first FF13 combat reveal in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhd66aheNM
My dear god, how clueless can you be? That was A TARGET RENDER. They had 0% of the game done at that point. That E3 2006 FFXIII trailer is nothing but "this is how we hope the game to look/play like."

This FFXV trailer has ACTUAL gameplay of a game that is very far along in development. Someone was actually playing those parts in the trailer.

Where in the trailer does it show game play or exploration not happening in a controlled tight play space? He is in a house hallway, he is in a castle hallway, he is running down a bridge, jumping across rooftops lined in a row, swinging along a ladder in a straight line, and he is in a courtyard with an enclosed pathway leading out. FFX had a map and you were still running down corridors. It is far-fetched to infer that from what was shown, that this game lets you pilot an airship around a world and land anywhere you please.
Ignoring what people write for the win! We've seen exploration in the 2011 trailer and Nomura has said in older interviews that Versus/XV will have a big world to explore with a lot of secrets to be discovered. Not in this trailer because they are obviously very proud with what they have achieved combat/action-wise so they wanted to show that. It also makes for a better, more exciting trailer than just running around not doing anything.

And we see Noctis being very high up in the sky, so the game COULD obviously handle airships if those are to be (we haven't really heard 100% confirmation they're in, just that they were testing having airships and dogfights at some point). As I said, we aren't just basing our enthusiasm on this trailer alone although that's a big part of it. We are basing it on the fact that this trailer shows combat that is exactly how Nomura described it would be, so we have no reason to doubt that the rest of what he's said about the game is all lies. There's exploration, chocobos, cars, possibly airships in addition to these fun looking battles & epic cinematic events during key moments of the game.

Yes its a bad thing, one off big cut scenes are expensive and take away from game play features that could actually make the game fun to play. You are fooling yourself if you think that you have any control of those characters during the cinematic scenes. If you had player control you could just walk the player out of the camera or warp to the other side of the arena. Have you ever been able to control your character when your camera control has been taken away aside from quick time events?
Well, yeah, they take control away during those short moments during battles, I was more talking about the bigger cinematic setpieces (the ones that are in the other XV trailer). And that's not a bad thing because it brings some versatility to the battle scenarios and gives some breathing space during them, not to mention they look nice. I'd rather have battles where there are those kinds of random unexpected moments (an ally helping you out, a bridge you're standing on getting smashed) than NOT have them. They are not a bad thing. Does this game look like it's actually holding back anything? It's exactly how Nomura envisioned the gameplay to be in the very first interviews he gave about the game, so having short scripted moments does nothing to make the game worse.

http://www.ff-reunion.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/chara01.jpg

Sasuke, Reanbell, Altair, Sam Worthington. I suppose your are right it is rather diverse. I should have said unoriginal.
I haven't seen too many characters like these, especially not lately in Japanese games. They don't look too much like Nomura's other designs either. Complaining that in all of fiction there are similar looking characters is stupid. Yeah, somewhat realistic looking characters have similar heads. Get over it, at least they aren't ANIMU-KAWAIII~, pedo bait or space bald marines and actually seem to have likable personalities. Giving so much importance to how characters look has and will always be stupid, imho.

So you are arguing that it looks better than my beloved FF that had Attack, Item, Magic, Summon, Tools, Capture, Steal, Blitz, Dance, Throw, Defend, and Mimic. Just to name a few and your beloved game that has Attack, Warp, and Linkform is some how superior.
Again your ignorance knows no bounds. FFXV has Magic, Items and Summons as well. Besides, it's an action RPG, they can't make the command list too filled with stuff lest it becomes too time-consuming & clumsy to use. And also, comparing the number of commands in action games where you control one character at a time (you can control the other characters in the game who'll have their own abilities, just FYI) vs. command based games is incredibly stupid. There's much more to an action RPG than just how many commands it offers.

And you again missed my point. Just because there is Throw in older FFs doesn't mean shit when you don't have to use them. The FACT is that 99,9999% of battles in older FFs involve nothing but whoring the Attack command because you win the battles easily anyway. Yes, there's magic and some other special commands, but it's hardly useful when melee is effective always and buff/debuff magic has almost never been useful in the series (except, shocker, in the XIII games you hate so much, where they are not only useful, they are pretty much the requirement to win or to be effective). And I also meant that an action RPG like KH & (based on these trailers) XV are so much more fun than looking at characters standing around while waiting a meter to fill up and picking the same command most of the time (which older FFs unarguably are), since you are so much more involved in the battles, constantly dodging attacks & positioning yourself in strategic ways, combining different kinds of attacks together. I have nothing against well designed turnbased/ATB-like systems, but FFs are not the top tier in that, especially not the old games, so it's only a good thing they experiment with new type of gameplay.

It's fine if they want to make action rpgs and depart from what Final Fantasy was, but don't call it Final Fantasy 15. It was designed to be a spin off, they changed its name to attempt to divorce it from the staleness that is FF13 and capitalize on renewed sales from people who don't know this is a troubled project that has been in development since 2006.
This is not a troubled project, none of the delays & hold-ups have anything to do with this game itself. Also, they've always developed this as if it was a mainline game from a scope/ambitiousness POV, only it's an action RPG. Again, you're one of those sad old school gamers that never want anything to change and think it's somehow blasphemous when the 15th installment of something is different from the 1st.

All I read in your whole post is "I have no idea what I am talking about, so I will just say you are wrong."
Says the person who didn't understand anything he saw in the trailer nor what he read.

2San

It looks good, but the combat really lacks impact. There's no weight what so ever. It reminds me Kingdom Hearts a lot in that regard, it's more jarring now since FFXV is more realistic visually.

Once again confirming that there will be sequels.

Which is fine IF the game/story/characters are good to begin with. Hopefully they will be, but I'd rather not commit without releasing this first.

Saying that this guy looks cool (even if it is generic). Bet he's the moody looking but very kind type. "Tiny" shall be his nickname in that case.

dramatis

Meaning just like with XIII, that the content was so much that they could make two games out of it but instead made 3?

Oh boy...
Not quite. It's more like, with the advent of series like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Asscreed, etc. in the last gen, it's wiser for SE to pursue a 'subseries' style to earn more money off already made assets, world, gameplay design, and so on.

Judging by the fact that KH3 is in the pipeline after FF15, I'd say there's a good chance they'll hand 15-2 to Toriyama!

KiraXD

Just realized this...

Promto is probably a "summon" or special moveset here.

Its two different scenes you see him doing this in, so looks like you can "call" Promto over to shoot an enemy? thats what im getting from this:

tumblr_moa0zq7rQz1r3ynjoo1_250.gif

tumblr_moa0zq7rQz1r3ynjoo3_250.gif

Terra_Ex

I chuckled at Noctis stopping an iron giant's sword with his little toothpick. Looks pretty nice overall though, will keep an eye on it.

Just realized this...

Its two different scenes you see him doing this in, so looks like you can "call" Promto over to shoot an enemy? thats what im getting from this:

Good catch!
And I bet the scene with Gladiolus(sp?) launching the huge sword at the enemy is the same kind of attack *trigger* - they'll all be context sensitive.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Which is fine IF the game/story/characters are good to begin with. Hopefully they will be, but I'd rather not commit without releasing this first.

Saying that this guy looks cool (even if it is generic). Bet he's the moody looking but very kind type. "Tiny" shall be his nickname in that case.

He looks like Chris Redfield so I'm calling him Chris Redfield 2.0

Village

His name is Boris and you will like it.

Famassu

Meaning just like with XIII, that the content was so much that they could make two games out of it but instead made 3?

Oh boy...
They never said anything like that from FFXIII, or at least the whole quote was taken out of context. The cut content wasn't the kind that they used in the sequels, it was just them shortening some dungeons they felt were overly long, having concept art for locations that they didn't end up developing any further and not using already modeled stuff like the outside area of Lightning's house because, in the end, they scrapped the plans for that area to have any cutscenes/story like it was originally supposed to. All games have cut content that will never be reused even if there are straight sequels.

ackbar

Banned
This looks like a cross between Bayonetta and Second Son. Minus boobs and ass (at least from what I have seen so far minus the boobs and ass)

They never said anything like that from FFXIII, or at least the whole quote was taken out of context. The cut content wasn't the kind that they used in the sequels, it was just them shortening some dungeons they felt were overly long, having concept art for locations that they didn't end up developing any further and not using already modeled stuff like the outside area of Lightning's house because, in the end, they scrapped the plans for that area to have any cutscenes/story like it was originally supposed to. All games have cut content that will never be reused even if there are straight sequels.

It was my own opinion, about the content being so much for XV that they can make individual games...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just realized this...

Make sure to come to the gameplay analysis thread too, we're trying to figure out stuff like this there. :)

Just realized this...

That is awesome. If that whole blocking-the-monster's-attacks-taking-its-sword-and-putting-it-in-him-action-sequence were to be an enemy-dependent special move or summon too then it might actually be fun. (Here's hoping.)

kurahador

Just realized this...

Called it. I think this is either a sequence in party combo or when you issue an attack command to him.

Voror

Regarding sequels, I'd be fine with it so long as this game is its own complete story and nothing like the XIII sequels have been.

This could actually be interesting if they perhaps had a prequel game where you play as Noctis' father or perhaps a game playing as Stella if she does remain an enemy of sorts for most of the game.

Dark Oni

It's fine if they want to make action rpgs and depart from what Final Fantasy was, but don't call it Final Fantasy 15. It was designed to be a spin off, they changed its name to attempt to divorce it from the staleness that is FF13 and capitalize on renewed sales from people who don't know this is a troubled project that has been in development since 2006.

"

exactly they had the last 7 years to come up with the next installment and they take a spinoff and name it the next FF

Zukuu

Banned
The new Stella really cuts my hype. :<
It's still strong, but I'm sad to have lost one of the best designed FF characters as of yet and have her replaced by a generic blonde... WHY Square, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

I hope we'll see the world map and openess more detailed in the next trailer.

If we assume Buzzcut and both females are part of the playable party, then we have 7 members already. I think we won't see much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom