• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Girl Season 3 |OT| You gave me an OT, I gave you an OT... Gave me OT got you OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
She has consistently been the least interesting and most annoying of all the characters.

Her lensless glasses only make it worse.

I have no problem with Jess, other than the fact she doesn't have lenses in her glasses.

What, do they think nobody notices? Can't they put some regular glass in them? What's the point?!

y2dvd

Who is more attractive----Nick or Schmitt ?

I need to prove a friend wrong.

Schmidt of course.

fuqdn2V.jpg

why is Schmidt being set up as some kind of villain

me no likey

It could be great. Chevy was great as a villain in Community (though, unfortunately they were never able to really bring him back from being that). That said, from the previews it looks like he'll be more annoying than diabolical.

I hope drama between Winston and
Coach
will give him more depth.

Chevy's role as a heel in Community is a whole other kind of thing that had a lot to do with problems he caused on the set.

Aside from that though I think having a villain type of role in Community made more sense when they did it because that show was much more fantastical. New Girl is much more grounded so an out and out villain would feel out of place to me.

That's the thing, Pierce (and Chevy) is a prick in general, but Schmidt never went any further than being lovably obnoxious. It's a weird progression. I kind of hope he isn't more than a pest.

That's the thing, Pierce (and Chevy) is a prick in general, but Schmidt never went any further than being lovably obnoxious. It's a weird progression. I kind of hope he isn't more than a pest.

Yeah, I don't think they'll take it much further than that to be honest. If the example of trying to break them up is lying in between them to annoy them, it sounds like he'll just be a pest until they find some other deeper reason to break up and start the cycle all over again.

y2dvd

I don't get why out of all the excuses he came up with, he didn't tell Cece that Cece and Elizabeth kinda forced this upon him and he couldn't decide since Cece's failed wedding. It doesn't excuse him seeing two women, but he would've put himself in a better position than straight up saying he cheated.

I don't get why out of all the excuses he came up with, he didn't tell Cece that Cece and Elizabeth kinda forced this upon him and he couldn't decide since Cece's failed wedding. It doesn't excuse him seeing two women, but he would've put himself in a better position than straight up saying he cheated.

In the heat of the moment, those kind of details are usually considered semantics by the person being hurt. It wasn't very likely to change anything and probably would just piss off Cece more in the moment.

big ander

Hilarious episode. Jess and Nick's getting the bad stuff out at the end was all-time, Winston clicking at people to get them away, Schmidt opening the door so fast. And the falling apart of the two-timing couldn't have happened sooner.
Pretty much, this was my one big issue with the episode. Turning Schmidt into a full-on villain doesn't feel like it'd work, because then you'd have to spend a lot of time making the reconciliation appear genuine.
So Winston's character development is turning into a fricking nutjob
it is, but honestly? I'm starting to feel that's 100% ok. It gives him a c-plot with a handful of funny jokes every episode, which spares us from the miss-more-than-hit c- and b-plots he got in seasons 1 and 2 that often weren't that funny or interesting.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
We need a pic or a gif of Nick's face when he is trying to initially process the news!!

Btw am I a bad human being for not being super sad for Cece? I just never can seem to feel bad for her. Maybe it's the fact that she lead Schmidt on only to get engaged tell Schmidt it's over when he tries to change her mind only to have her finally change her mind at the alter.

Her character has been so all over the place I just can't work up the empathy.

big ander

We need a pic or a gif of Nick's face when he is trying to initially process the news!!

Btw am I a bad human being for not being super sad for Cece? I just never can seem to feel bad for her. Maybe it's the fact that she lead Schmidt on only to get engaged tell Schmidt it's over when he tries to change her mind only to have her finally change her mind at the alter.

Her character has been so all over the place I just can't work up the empathy.

She never lied to Schmidt though. She was confused and honest about all that confusion. Schmidt actively deceived her. It's on another level.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another great episode.

I feel bad for both Ceci and Elizabeth. Schmidt really really handled it badly. I don't care which one he picked because I liked both of them, but picking both was an obvious sitcom trope. (And believe me, I know sitcom tropes) But now it's all over I really hope he doesn't actually break Nick and Jess up. I was initially against them dating but now I couldn't bear them breaking up.

The end scene was great too. All the confessions. "I'm in the Green Party". "I am definitely attracted to ladybugs."

And WInston, I don't care if he's getting weirder, I like it. A lot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
She never lied to Schmidt though. She was confused and honest about all that confusion. Schmidt actively deceived her. It's on another level.

I don't disagree that Schmidt is on another level. It's more that I just can't feel that sorry for Cece despite of Schmidt.

I do disagree about the confusion thing though. She wasn't confused that she just was in it to use Schmidt for sex, and she actively shot Schmidt down when he tried to take the relationship further.

Schmidt is a douche for dating both women at the same time, but between Cece and Schmidt I'd say Schmidt gets the confused mantle. He hooked up with Cece sexually, tried to take it further, repeatedly got shot down in said attempts, and then Cece pulls a 180 on her wedding day. If anything Schmidt should be confused about all the mixed signals Cece has sent.

Elizabeth is the only one I have any empathy for in the whole situation.

I'm currently marathoning the first two seasons on Netflix with my fiancee. She is constantly cracking up at the jokes, but some of them fall pretty flat with me. Zooey is surprisngly the funniest person on the show. Last night we watched the episode where the young people moved in next door and Zooey was quoting TGIF shows. Her impression of Urkel was so awful but it made me laugh.

The black guy on the show is the weak link though. He is not funny at all. Too bad Happy Endings wasn't canceled sooner so Damon Wayans Jr could do New Girl. He is hilarious and was pretty good in the pilot. Maybe they can fire the other dude and bring Wayans back as a roommate. Wishful thinking, I know :/

I'm currently marathoning the first two seasons on Netflix with my fiancee. She is constantly cracking up at the jokes, but some of them fall pretty flat with me. Zooey is surprisngly the funniest person on the show. Last night we watched the episode where the young people moved in next door and Zooey was quoting TGIF shows. Her impression of Urkel was so awful but it made me laugh.

The black guy on the show is the weak link though. He is not funny at all. Too bad Happy Endings wasn't canceled sooner so Damon Wayans Jr could do New Girl. He is hilarious and was pretty good in the pilot. Maybe they can fire the other dude and bring Wayans back as a roommate. Wishful thinking, I know :/

The real tragedy is that Happy Endings was cancelled at all.

And
Coach will return, with some tension existing between he and Winston, accordingly to rumors

Another great episode.

I feel bad for both Ceci and Elizabeth. Schmidt really really handled it badly. I don't care which one he picked because I liked both of them, but picking both was an obvious sitcom trope. (And believe me, I know sitcom tropes) But now it's all over I really hope he doesn't actually break Nick and Jess up. I was initially against them dating but now I couldn't bear them breaking up.

image.php

I didn't think the Schmidt wanting revenge was too out of place. He lost two women he loved. He may be somewhat justifiably angry/upset.

I hope it isn't a long term thing tho.

Highlights:
-Winston's misunderstanding and the cat brothel idea
-Nick discovering feels and ignoring Jess's cleavage
-Schmidt finally owns up to what he did

Downers:
-Seeing a sad Schmidt (although he deserved it)

Kinda mad at myself for not giving this show a chance in years past. Been watching since s3 and it's so good.

Worth watching all of s1, or should I start somewhere in the middle? Few clips I've seen of s2 look ace.

Kinda mad at myself for not giving this show a chance in years past. Been watching since s3 and it's so good.

Worth watching all of s1, or should I start somewhere in the middle? Few clips I've seen of s2 look ace.

Watch it all if you have, but it doesn't pick up untl a little under halfway through season 1, so if you don't want to, start there. All of season 2 is fantastic.

Wow I thought this was one of their weaker episodes. The whole thing occurred in the apartment except for Winston going to the vet or pet store and Schmidt at the end.

Nick and Jess just weren't funny. At all.

Sad Schmidt isn't funny Schmidt. I liked him and Cece together so this whole story line pisses me off.

And Winston is out in nutso-land.

Wow I thought this was one of their weaker episodes. The whole thing occurred in the apartment except for Winston going to the vet or pet store and Schmidt at the end.

Nick and Jess just weren't funny. At all.

Sad Schmidt isn't funny Schmidt. I liked him and Cece together so this whole story line pisses me off.

And Winston is out in nutso-land.

Gonna disagree here. Thought it was a great episode, and kicked things back into season 2 levels. Especially The Captain sequence.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm glad Saboteur Schmidt is one and done. That would have been grating to carry on with for too long.

big ander

Great episode. Also rare in that the best line delivery of the night didn't come from Schmidt or Nick. I mean, I love Jess but she normally doesn't win an episode like she did with this line:
"Did you make it all the way to the spyglass?" "YES SCHMIDT AND MY NIGHT VISION'S VERY GOOD CAUSE MY EYES ARE SO BUGGY AND BIG AND I SAW EVERYTHING AND ican'teraseitfrommymemory"
Nick's first attempt at describing how The Captain made him feel was a close second. "euuunnngg. is good yknow is over. luh sleeping birds die."

Cat brothel stuff was cringey but decent, wonder if Riki will come back at all. Glad to see Schmidt facing the truth at the end.

xenist

Great episode. Also rare in that the best line delivery of the night didn't come from Schmidt or Nick. I mean, I love Jess but she normally doesn't win an episode like she did with this line:
"Did you make it all the way to the spyglass?" "YES SCHMIDT AND MY NIGHT VISION'S VERY GOOD CAUSE MY EYES ARE SO BUGGY AND BIG AND I SAW EVERYTHING AND ican'teraseitfrommymemory"

This may very well be the first episode where I prefered Jess to any of the guys.

Excellent episode, I lost it on Schmidt's reaction upon entering Winston's room when he had everything set up for the cats.

jb1234

The writers are losing me. I've sat through all four episodes of this season completely stone-faced. They've turned Winston into a raving lunatic (which admittedly is at least a character but not the direction I'd hope for), Schmidt into an epic douchebag and Nick and Jess (a coupling I didn't care much for to begin with) are unbearable together.

At least the Schmidt shit is over with. It's just no longer a must-see show for me, which makes me sad because the second season was so good. Maybe it'll pick up later.

"You did a bad thing. Deal with it."

So glad to hear that line. The Schmidt stuff would have been unbearable were it to drag on. The writers of course are smarter than I give them credit for, which is a mistake I should know better than to make at this point.

Great episode. Wish Winston had got smart about that girl though, she was cute.

big ander

I guess ymmv on the Jess/Nick hookup (which was telegraphed in the beginning of the series and was an inevitability) but I don't know if it's fair to complain that Schmidt is an "epic douchebag" when that's been his characterization from the beginning. The first episode had a literal douchebag jar. That Schmidt put money into. Constantly.

Having him try to be a villain was certainly questionable, and his two timing was awful of him, but they don't betray the character. Seeing a character make bad decisions isn't necessarily bad.

Have to agree with Ander here (and that doesn't happen often in TV threads lol ;p ). Schmidt has always been a jerk, he just comes across as a lovable one. This episode really pointed out how thin that line can be when he's doing it maliciously rather than out of his own cocky ignorance.

Nick and Jess don't bother me at all tbh. I am getting a bit weary of the "Winston is crazy" schtick, though I don't think the premise of his wanting to get his cat lucky was all that crazy as much as the reasoning behind it and of course, the lengths he went. I mean plenty of people try to mate their pets for offspring. It's just the angle they used for that that made it weird.

I honestly don't get why they've gone the crazy route so hard though. I like him as the straight man with a few wacky tendencies (over the top rants when he's pissed off and of course his awful prankster equilibrium). They just needed to give him more of his own stories instead of always focusing on the Nick/Jess storylines and Schmidt storylines.

Nick and Jess don't bother me at all tbh. I am getting a bit weary of the "Winston is crazy" schtick, though I don't think the premise of his wanting to get his cat lucky was all that crazy as much as the reasoning behind it and of course, the lengths he went. I mean plenty of people try to mate their pets for offspring. It's just the angle they used for that that made it weird.

I figured he was projecting his own loneliness onto his cat or something.

You're probably right. I was really just more addressing the idea that Winston wanting to mate his Cat shouldn't have seemed quite so weird in and of itself.

I fucking love cat obsessed Winston. Also, Riki Lindhome is a dream, I think she's absolutely gorgeous. Too bad we won't see her again.

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays around the 5 minute mark when Jess and Nick are trying to have sex?

Edit: I figured it out, Get Lucky by Daft Punk

y2dvd

I thought it was a solid episode, but not quite season 2 quality. I usually find Winston to be the least funniest but he had me rolling this episode. I hope Schmidt gets out of depressed mode. It was a promising start when he said something of "Nick's body is soft. It should absorb sound." lol! I didn't have any problems with Jess really but Nick wasn't as funny as usual.

Talked to a hipster chick the other day who said Jess was her favorite and Schmidt was her least favorite. I'm not sure why I'm surprised by this when I guess I shouldn't be lol. Mind you, she's late into season 2 and haven't seen depressed season 3 Schmidt. I always thought Jess wasn't anyone's favorite!

Shadow780

Winston is almost too weird at this point, it's like they were afraid he's not getting enough material.

Talked to a hipster chick the other day who said Jess was her favorite and Schmidt was her least favorite. I'm not sure why I'm surprised by this when I guess I shouldn't be lol. Mind you, she's late into season 2 and haven't seen depressed season 3 Schmidt. I always thought Jess wasn't anyone's favorite!

She is the goddess of hipster and will give birth to hipster Jesus with JGL in year 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom