• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto IV Trailer - Final Trailer up

BigBoss

And, oh yes, the shooting. Pulling the left trigger halfway on the 360 controller lets you aim a weapon freely, while a full pull locks on to the closest enemy or nonplayable character in your camera's view.

Is there anyway to change this so that holding down the left trigger all the way lets you aim a weapon freely?

skip

BigBoss said:
Is there anyway to change this so that holding down the left trigger all the way lets you aim a weapon freely?

not that I noticed. I was pretty comfortable with the default configuration, so I didn't delve too deeply into button assignments -- but I don't think that's something you can adjust.

cowboy might be able to tell us for sure, tho.

NeoUltima

For Scopebob Sniperpants:
1tatzt.gif

Jtrizzy

They seriosuly need to add an option to turn off the auto aim. I trust in Rockstar and love GTA as much as the next guy, but this whole "hold the button half way" thing scares me.

got2bekidding said:
I don't want to turn this into a Q&A session, but I'm curious about the build you (Cowboy and Skip) are playing and how often can/do studios improve on those builds? I'm not implying that the game needs a revamp, but could those issues be fixed based on when that particular build was created? Even if the version being played is the final review build that's sent out to all gaming media?

Without saying exactly what, there is one thing in particular that I'm skeptical about being fixed come final build, but then this isn't the first time I've seen things that I thought wouldn't be fixed only to be proven wrong with the final build.

Not framerate related btw.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
1up Preview said:
Traffic will be nonexistent one second, then three cars deep when you rotate the camera back around, and then completely disappear when your wanted level gets to two or three stars (which is oh-so-fun when you desperately need a getaway vehicle).

That sucks. Thats the thing that bugs me the most about gta games. Was hoping that they would be able to fix that this time around.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Without saying exactly what, there is one thing in particular that I'm skeptical about being fixed come final build, but then this isn't the first time I've seen things that I thought wouldn't be fixed only to be proven wrong with the final build.

Thanks for the answer, and I understand about not wanting to say. Whatever the case may be, it's not going to make me cancel my pre-order even if it was framerate. I've been playing SA, and the framerate in that game doesn't bug me as the same goes for the rest of the series. I also understand from a technical aspect, it's basically impossible to get everything just right when producing openworld type games. Compromises must be made, but having playtesters and reviewers playing the game could provide insights to possible tweaks that could be made, for clarification purposes feasible tweaks. With all that said, I know I will enjoy the hell out of this game when it comes out. Kind of like true love, when you love something for everything despite their "flaws".

Crag Dweller said:
That sucks. Thats the thing that bugs me the most about gta games. Was hoping that they would be able to fix that this time around.
me too :( It seems that most of these open world games do this, the only one I can remember that didn't do this was Crackdown.

mrgone

painey said:
im surprised that it shows all the stars, even when you have a low wanted level.. do you really need the greyed out stars on your screen with a wanted level of 2?

Those are there as a subtle encouragement to simulate more murder (real men have 5 stars, pansy!)

I just can't wait to simulate myself to a raging 5-star wanted level.

dfyb

Banned
what's your guys' weapon of choice in terms of software to edit these anigifs? photoshop CS3 ditched imageready so i'm stuck without a paddle atm.

calder said:
I just noticed the first trailer "Things Will be Different" was imported to my PS3 March 29, 2006.... holy shit is that date right, have I really been waiting that long for this game?!
That date is wrong because PS3 came out November 2006. It should be March 2007.

Socreges

Banned
Banzaiaap said:
I really can't wait anymore.. :(
i just effectively finished my semester (got one more exam, but a small one). now the real wait begins. it's sad that as stoked as i am to hang out with friends and do all the shit i havent done for the last several months, in a way it's all just biding time till gtaIV.... at least thats how it feels when I'm online reading GAF

dfyb said:
what's your guys' weapon of choice in terms of software to edit these anigifs? photoshop CS3 ditched imageready so i'm stuck without a paddle atm.

File > Import > Video Frames As Layers

In the File Name field put *.gif and you should be able to import it.

If you are on a Mac you can change the extension to .mov in Finder and it should import the same way (without the *.gif filter of course)

dfyb

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
File > Import > Video Frames As Layers

In the File Name field put *.gif and you should be able to import it.

If you are on a Mac you can change the extension to .mov in Finder and it should import the same way (without the *.gif filter of course)
thanks!

it's ridiculous that you have to use that workaround though.

newsguy

CowboyAstronaut said:

Just wondering. There was a preview a while back that mentioned something like you're saying. They said that the wall shimmy animation was really awkward looking, and like you, the previewer wasn't sure if this would be fixed for release. He said it looked really odd and unfinished.

skip

Opus Angelorum said:
I really hope not, but having cars coming into view from only a few yards is something I had hoped this generation would retire.

to clarify -- I'm not talking about cars fading into view as they're driving towards you. I mean that if say you're looking for a car to steal or a cab somewhere, and there's nothing around you, you can rotate the camera around, and suddenly there'll be traffic. it doesn't happen all the time, it's just really noticeable in some of the lesser-populated neighborhoods.

MMaRsu

Banned
skip said:
to clarify -- I'm not talking about cars fading into view as they're driving towards you. I mean that if say you're looking for a car to steal or a cab somewhere, and there's nothing around you, you can rotate the camera around, and suddenly there'll be traffic. it doesn't happen all the time, it's just really noticeable in some of the lesser-populated neighborhoods.

Yeah and it's really annoying..it's just like in Saints Row, you see a cool car just taking a left turn, you follow it into the street and the street is empty -_-

That's the kind of things I thought they would have fixed...

skip said:

Thanks for the clarification. The cars don't actually appear into view, rather their density suddenly increases? I imagine this breaks the illusion of an otherwise breathing world.

FirewalkR said:
I'm not sure you said it before. Which version are you playing?

(remember though, if you answer ps3 you'll have a lot more questions afterwards! :lol)

P.. S.. Triple :)

I didn't really care which version of the game I got to try I just wanted to get my hands on it. I wont answer too many questions because first off I have truly no idea of knowing how it stacks up to the 360 version people are playing so I don't wanna make it seem like I think one is superior to the other when, in reality I only have hands on experience with one of the 2.

Newsguy, I'm assuming the guys that did that preview maybe saw a different than what I'm playing, but from my entire time with the game, the wall shimmy animation was totally fine.

Takes some getting used to, but I didn't once think there was a problem with it.

This is pretty much the only thing I'll say about the ps3 version in comparison to what I've read about the 360, but I wouldn't look too much into this because again these aren't final builds.

My friend told me that there are things in the build I'm playing now that are at least a month and a half old and have been either completely fixed or improved to the point where they are a non issue.

#1 is in reference to one thing skip pointed out when he said this

"I mean that if say you're looking for a car to steal or a cab somewhere, and there's nothing around you, you can rotate the camera around, and suddenly there'll be traffic. it doesn't happen all the time, it's just really noticeable in some of the lesser-populated neighborhoods."

I haven't yet, to my knowledge, experienced anything of the sort in the PS3 build I'm playing here and the next thing I'll mention is a random bug that I'm practically 100% positive wont show up in the final game.

#2 Random bug from the ps3 build I'm playing currently. It doesn't happen a lot, but I've had 2 to 3 occurrences now so it's probably worth a mention. There have been times where after I completed a mission the button assignments completely randomized on me and it even applied to the dpad. Up on dpad would move me down, left on dpad would move me up and right would move me left. I found out how to fix this by pressing buttons until I found the button used to fire my gun and the moment I fired at an innocent bystander my original button assignments were back to normal :lol

Again, I highly doubt that will be in the final build so don't sweat it, but I just thought it was a funny little bug.

Thanks CA,

I won't ask anything specific about what you've played so far, but would you say Rockstar have raised the bar significantly for what we would describe as a next generation experience?

Can you address whether random cars you encounter on the street are largely the same model as what you're driving at that moment?

That was my biggest pet peeve of the previous GTA's. I believe it's attributed to limited memory specs on the PS2, but I could never get over jacking an infernus or comet, only to see 10 of them lining the street within minutes.

Doc Evils

CowboyAstronaut said:
P.. S.. Triple :)

I didn't really care which version of the game I got to try I just wanted to get my hands on it. I wont answer too many questions because first off I have truly no idea of knowing how it stacks up to the 360 version people are playing so I don't wanna make it seem like I think one is superior to the other when, in reality I only have hands on experience with one of the 2.

Newsguy, I'm assuming the guys that did that preview maybe saw a different than what I'm playing, but from my entire time with the game, the wall shimmy animation was totally fine.

Takes some getting used to, but I didn't once think there was a problem with it.

This is pretty much the only thing I'll say about the ps3 version in comparison to what I've read about the 360, but I wouldn't look too much into this because again these aren't final builds.

My friend told me that there are things in the build I'm playing now that are at least a month and a half old and have been either completely fixed or improved to the point where they are a non issue.

#1 is in reference to one thing skip pointed out when he said this

"I mean that if say you're looking for a car to steal or a cab somewhere, and there's nothing around you, you can rotate the camera around, and suddenly there'll be traffic. it doesn't happen all the time, it's just really noticeable in some of the lesser-populated neighborhoods."

I haven't yet, to my knowledge, experienced anything of the sort in the PS3 build I'm playing here and the next thing I'll mention is a random bug that I'm practically 100% positive wont show up in the final game.

#2 Random bug from the ps3 build I'm playing currently. It doesn't happen a lot, but I've had 2 to 3 occurrences now so it's probably worth a mention. There have been times where after I completed a mission the button assignments completely randomized on me and it even applied to the dpad. Up on dpad would move me down, left on dpad would move me up and right would move me left. I found out how to fix this by pressing buttons until I found the button used to fire my gun and the moment I fired at an innocent bystander my original button assignments were back to normal :lol

Again, I highly doubt that will be in the final build so don't sweat it, but I just thought it was a funny little bug.

Interesting..

Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks CA,

I won't ask anything specific about what you've played so far, but would you say Rockstar have raised the bar significantly for what we would describe as a next generation experience?

They over-delivered. I really can't stress that enough.

Of course I say this as a long time GTA fan even back before the game went 3D on the ps2, but I'm also one of the many that felt while Rockstar was surely going to demolish any copycat titles out there, I also had serious questions as to how far they could go beyond the serie's usual quality and charm in doing so.

If GTA4 was just another impressive rehash in the same quality level as Vice City and some of the other titles, I would've been completely satisfied. GTA4 though is so much more than that.

They made improvements and additions to the series that I didn't once suspect in my many months of anticipation I would've wanted to see improved or added until after I experienced them here in GTA4. That just goes to show regardless of how much I was anticipating the game or how many times I felt I had a set ceiling for my most unrealistic of expectations, Rockstar was seeking to improve the series in a far more ambitious way than I was hoping they would.

Nothing better than that. The game is the real deal.

CowboyAstronaut said:

Of course I say this as a long time GTA fan even back before the game went 3D on the ps2, but I'm also one of the many that felt while Rockstar was surely going to demolish any copycat titles out there, I also had serious questions as to how far they could go beyond the serie's usual quality and charm in doing so.

If GTA4 was just another impressive rehash in the same quality level as Vice City and some of the other titles, I would've been completely satisfied. GTA4 though is so much more than that.

They made improvements and additions to the series that I didn't once suspect in my many months of anticipation I would've wanted to see improved or added until after I experienced them here in GTA4. That just goes to show regardless of how much I was anticipating the game or how many times I felt I had a set ceiling for my most unrealistic of expectations, Rockstar was seeking to improve the series in a far more ambitious way than I was hoping they would.

Wow, hype meter going up. (Actually it cant go any higher).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CowboyAstronaut said:

Kind of a weird question, but does the game have an actual title screen, or does it jump right into the game on startup like all the other GTAs?

Top Bottom