• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GT:HD info - BOHICA included, KY Jelly available for paid download

tjhooker

Banned
The baked in lighting, bitmaps, weak AI etc in GT4 were all a consequence of the PS2 hardware and nothing to do with PD's development ability.

The fact that they pulled off arguably the best looking console racer last gen on the weakest hardware is testament to that.

And at 480p, faked 1080i and 60FPS no less.

I expect great great things from PD + PS3 hardware all running at a beautiful 1080p + 60FPS.

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:
Why is it everytime GT5 model cars are shown, Checry gets thown around?

He said something along the lines that GTHD/GT5 would not have fully rendered interiors. Lolz.

Piper Az

Why do cars in GT look so much realistic compared to other games like Forza and PGR? It can't be the no. of polygons or modeling. I think it's in the lighting...

Ranger X

Piper Az said:
Why do cars in GT look so much realistic compared to other games like Forza and PGR? It can't be the no. of polygons or modeling. I think it's in the lighting...

Precisely. Poly's lighting guys are all mighty, seriously. Even Chespace should give them a call and listen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jett said:
He said something along the lines that GTHD/GT5 would not have fully rendered interiors. Lolz.

OMG checry seriously. I hate to post this but....

42i4t4m.gif

At times like this, it needs to be posted.

J-Rzez

Piper Az said:

That's one big part of it, the lighting isn't done all blindingly crazy (read, excessively washing out the car)... the other part is the colors aren't rediculously oversaturated... and, it has a realistic art approach, as opposed to other that have that cell-shaded/cartoony look to it...

Dante

Yeah Polyphony has that realistic look down moreso then anybody else. The competition looks cartoony in comparison. Think it's a combination of lighting, shaders, modeling, talent, etc.....

n0b

Piper Az said:
Thats funny to hear when the lighting engine is obviously very WIP. I think its probably the material shaders that make it look more realistic.

Piper Az said:

Because Polyphony has the best modelers around, even Ferrari's acknowledges that. :p

Pimpwerx

SolidSnakex said:
Because Polyphony has the best modelers around, even Ferrari's acknowledges that. :p
QFT b/c this is usually my line. I was actually suprised the Elise and Lancer looked a bit off at TGS, but it could be my bad memory though. The Elise's nose looked a bit fat, and the ass on the Lancer looked kinda long. But otherwise, they are the benchmark by which all other car modellers (gaming at least) are judged. I said it from the start though, PD is gonna ****ing kill it this gen. PGR3's models looked really good, and they kinda sucked this gen. So I assumed PD's godlike models last gen were gonna be supergod class this gen. Mission Accomplished! :D

The cars still look detached from the bgs, as everyone's noted. I hope they tighten up the lighting by launch. It might just be me, but the grass texture is too blurry. The mottled-green look may pass at speed, but when about when going slow, it's gotta be pretty ugly.

The interior looks insane in that shot. Again, PGR3 set the bar pretty goddamn high out the gate. I didn't expect PD to be pulling these levels of polish for interiors. 30-something cars of that detail doesn't sound too bad. I just wish Premium was online (is it?). And I wish we could get sim mode too. Then again, its absence must mean they are totally revamping it all over again. :D GT5 will own you, and GT6 will be the last GT in the series, because the PS4 will be able to simulate real life. :lol PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
So I assumed PD's godlike models last gen were gonna be supergod class this gen. Mission Accomplished! :D

As it should be. According to Kaz each GT5 car model takes 3 months to complete (by comparison GT3/GT4 models took a month). But I guess if you want something looking extremely good you're going ot have to go to those extremes to get it. It's basically what I expected from them though, for the in game cars to rival renders that we'd sometimes see in the current gen.

Pimpwerx said:
I just wish Premium was online (is it?). And I wish we could get sim mode too.

Only an arcade mode. It's basically just a teaser for fans of things to come.

Top Bottom