• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA:SA Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob White

Damn, not gaming age too.

How come this, "I can't relate" shit is coming up now that black gang culture is the theme? If you can't relate to a gta:sa how come you can relate to something like Ico or Devil May Cry?

This shit is just fucking SAD.

belgurdo

Banned
Bob White said:
Damn, not gaming age too.

How come this, "I can't relate" shit is coming up now that black gang culture is the theme? If you can't relate to a gta:sa how come you can relate to something like Ico or Devil May Cry?

This shit is just fucking SAD.

Remember to save this statement to a word document for use later on in the year. You'll be needing it

Because playing games isnt just about having to relate, as demonstrated in my post.

ITS A PART of what appeals to a gamer, but it can be overcome by other factors, SUCH AS GAMEPLAY. Something like that can make a desire to relate to the character a non-issue.

Ico was good, but never once did I try to get into character because I saw the game as a puzzle, not as an adventure with a stupid kid.

I wont comment on Devil May Cry since I found the game boring and cant possibly relate to being a demon slayer that happens to be demon too.

In summation: IF I CANNOT FIND GOOD GAMEPLAY/OTHER FACTORS = SAVING GRACE IS THAT I CAN RELATE TO THE STORY/SETTING/CHARACTERS AND BE ENTERTAINED IN THAT WAY.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I find it mildly amusing and more than a little sad that the only time we see this type of thread is when it involves San Andreas. I mean, it's not like we don't regularly play games featuring people/robots/blobs that have absolutely no reference to our everyday existence - but create a game with a black character set in a predominantly black and Latino setting and the alarm bells start ringing.

Hell, I can't remember the last time I hopped into my giant robot and starting pounding the crap out of somebody...but I can get something out of Tech Romancer, and that's due to the gameplay. And if I didn't like the gameplay of TR, I wouldn't use the robotic setting as a smokescreen to not play it.

Missing pneumatic tits and a pussy didn't keep me from enjoying Tomb Raider 1 and 2.

My overabundance of melanin didn't prevent me from enjoying Hitman 2.

My shameful lack of Italian ancestry didn't prevent me from enjoying Vice City.

I always thought that gameplay was the thing. Guess I was wrong.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I dont have the patience to suffer the gameplay in a third installment and nothing about inner city life appeals to me because I 'dont get it'.

You still fail to understand that there is nothing to "get." Watch a loosely historically accurate movie like Gangs of New York. Or better yet read up upon the history of gangs in america, or even more comprehensively the world's gangs & what causes their formation. The theme will be primarily the same. An economically underprivileged group, class, or communities breeds vice. To garner control of illegal resources by eliminating your competitors through use of violence, to enrich your own group's affiliation. Greed is basically always the driving motivation.

I have never before taken a stand against a game with an ethnic focus because of relating before this, and thats because I believe that after so much grand theft auto, the gameplay as nothing that will entertain ME.

This is a situation with GTA SA, not with games that may or may not be targeted at different demographics.

Hey, if you guys wanna blow this to insane levels even after I have FULLY explained the logic behind my stance on THIS PARTICULAR game, go for it.

Bob White

Ico was good, but never once did I try to get into character because I saw the game as a puzzle, not as an adventure with a stupid kid.

If you can think of Ico as just a puzzle game, just think of the new gta as a do anything action game and don't try to get into the black character.

Wow, I officially don't like MAF anymore. Weird.

Ignorant. Ignorant. Ignorant.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
evil ways said:
It's already confirmed that there will be different radio stations and genres of music like in previous games, Dan Houser said it on the Game Informer interview.

You've been officially "owned" Error Macro. So much for your assumptions.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anyone who can't relate to this character shouldn't be able to relate to japanese made games either (remember that thread?) and should be wondering how african americans can relate to a good 90% of video games released. Thank you, and goodnight.

How MAF Likes Games For Dummies:

2 criteria: One or the Other, or BOTH must be met to allow the possibility of enjoyment.

Gameplay: Well duh.

Atmosphere/Character (Being able to relate): We've been over this.

Case Study: GTA series.

There have been like, 5 games k? I've played up through Vice City.

The first 3 were for the gameplay. I ignored the stories, look at quests as objectives. Almost totally ignored the atmosphere that was there. Great, loved them.

Vice City is released. ALMOST tired of the gameplay but the 80s SETTING which I can relate to sucks me in cause I lived through the 80s. All the little in jokes, and little touches = awesome nostalgia.

GTA:SA is a game with from everything I can see, the same gameplay which I am now completely tired of. Fall back on atmosphere and characters?

Difficult because I just dont get it. I have lived everywhere BUT the inner city. Im not poor, I dont struggle against the establishment. There is almost NOTHING in MY LIFE that I can compare with the characters and atmosphere in this game. As such, I cannot connect and for that reason find neither of my qualifications above MET.

So unless there's some drastic change to the formula, I will not be checking this title out.

I never liked the GTA games anyway what with their crappy controls, and while I like rap, I sure as hell won't be playing this installment either.

I can understand where MAF's coming from, though; I really wanted to like the first GTA3 title based on the gameplay premise, but the crappy controls and stupid mission objectives just turned me off.

I don't need to relate, though. I just ask that the characters not look retarded.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
MrAngryFace said:
Hey, if you guys wanna blow this to insane levels even after I have FULLY explained the logic behind my stance on THIS PARTICULAR game, go for it.

I, for one, think the Gameplay has evolved enough over the first two games. I have faith they'll find ways to make San Andreas fresh in that department. So, I can't really RELATE to your opinion on this matter. If I can't RELATE, then why are you moaning about blowing things out of proportion? All I have left to fall back on is my suspicion that you're an intolerant bastard who thinks he's beyond reproach. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, MAF, but I've grown TIRED of you and your arrogance. :D

Li Mu Bai

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
I just fucking said I dont like the gameplay any longer. jesus, read some fucking posts. I dont need fans like you anyway.

This is what you should've said initially MAF, instead of the "I can't relate" ignorance.

fbcamp

Banned
Error Macro said:
Yeah, and I suppose this game is going to have a variety of things to listen to, like heavy metal, rock, classical, country, and rap? Yeah, no way. This game is going to be purely rap/hip-hop driven, and you know it.

If this game tries to simulate the radio stations of any big city, then we'll be hearing much more than just rap. For example GTA3 took place in a fake NYC and it didn't just have rap music.

Also for the record I find it strange that people here in the Bronx are much nicer than the douche bags that live in the suburban town that I go to college in…… Pretty much crushed all the positive things I’d heard about living outside of the city.

What the hell? It's his opinion; if he doesn't wanna play as an inner city hood, so be it. In the pantheon of enlightening experiences to visit, inner city crime lords are about as worthy as Mafia thugs and psycho hillbillies.

Considering that the vicarious aspects of this game are completely negative, preferring one type of thug over another doesn't amount to anything worth getting on someone's case about; it's all academic.

evil ways

Another thing I don't get is how some folks say "Oh no, the game will be thug/hip hop inspired and the main character is black", like the game will have a tall, barbwire fence that will restrict you completely into a black neighborhood and thug environment. They forget that the game is made up of 3 large cities, including a Las Vegas and Hollywood inspired environments, and that on all 3 of those cities there will be people of different cultures and races.

shuri

Banned
The gangsta crime culture is _BORING_ AS FUCK. Thats the problem here. It is so limited. A game dedicated to the Triads or Yakuza culture would have been interesting, or what about the Hell Angel's or the russian mafia.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I'm oblivious to the reasons why the setting/plot is a problem. It sounds interesting to me in the same way the 80s setting of Vice City sounded interesting.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
What the hell? It's his opinion; if he doesn't wanna play as an inner city hood, so be it. In the pantheon of enlightening experiences to visit, inner city crime lords are about as worthy as Mafia thugs and psycho hillbillies.

Quite true Drinky, but "relating" was too weak a premise to post & was begging to be torn apart especially if there are possible racist undercurrents behind it.

belgurdo

Banned
shuri said:
The gangsta crime culture is _BORING_ AS FUCK. Thats the problem here. It is so limited. A game dedicated to the Triads or Yakuza culture would have been interesting, or what about the Hell Angel's or the russian mafia.

...it's all the same shit, only with different cultures/races...

Sorry, MAF's about as as un-racist as you can get. Disliking rap and urban "gangsta" culture doesn't make one racist any more than liking mayonnaise makes you a cracker.

It's not like the game lets you play as Maya Angelou and MAF said "screw that; I can't relate to black suffering"; he said he can't relate to a SPECIFIC CRIME-ORIENTED SUBCULTURE.

Besides, I was around when he gave up on Vice City in boredom and apathy for that gameplay style. Plus, he's probably not the only person to buy it for the kickass 80's soundtrack.

I don't see why it's so hard to grasp that if you're bored of the GTA3 gameplay that rap/urban gangsta culture won't be enough of a hook to bring you in for a third go-round. Ninja/pirates, maybe. Hip hop, no.

Dont you just love thin veiled racism guys I SURE DO.

hey im half italian and german, i sure as hell cant relate to black straight outta 90s compton but Ill be damned if im not gonna buy and enjoy this game, omg hitler and vito corleone must be barrel rolling in their graves now..... meh

Li Mu Bai

Banned
shuri said:

Yes, instead of simply killing for revenge, we would have drug smuggling & extorsion. Hell's Angels? WTF?

How can anyone comment on the gameplay when we only know a handful of details (literally) concerning the game other than the ghetto theme?

Do we know what exactly will make it differ from past GTA games? Will things like mission-based objectives still be around? There's no way to know yet. It could be a radical deviation from the mission-based, auto-aiming, do anything gameplay we've grown to associate w/ the GTA name.

Ranger X

I have doubt that it would be a complete black gangsta thing. The 2 first installment gave us diversity and the Houser's aren't stupid enough to make without that. And common, it's multiple cities!!! (and real cities duh) Do you really think they will transform it all in a niggaz world? lololol

HATE CRIME! HATE CRIME! HATE CRIME!

I would prefer if hip hop "culture" was erased from the face of this planet. Since I'm a racist now, I guess I should hop on into my pickup truck and start burnin' me some crosses and buy me a big ol' double wide.

Maybe I should move to a place where the hip hop fad hasn't taken over yet. I know! I'll go to Africa!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Bah. I hope by poking fun at MAF and Aimee Mann I didn't push the train faster. I do think there's a rather subconscious thread of racism going on when you can glorify the crime culture of one group and be somehow non-plussed by another. It's probably the local asian fetish rearing it's head.

I just want to play the game because I grew up in the nineties (sorta), the incredible music and the gang-culture that inspired a lot of good films etc. I wasn't in the hood or gangbanging at the time but it influenced a lot of our cultural lives and continues to do so. And GTA is still the best "sandbox" series going. Can't wait.

He's not glorifying the crime culture of another group.

How hard is it to grasp the following sequence of events:

MAF liked the free-roaming gameplay of the GTA series. He tried GTA3; found it OK.

He played VC and got bored of it; the gameplay was no longer interesting.

He decided that he didn't have any interest in the gangsta/hiphop setting of GTA3: SA and that when combined with his general weariness for the mechanics, he decided he wasn't going to purchase the game.

I agree with him that if you're going to sell me the same old shit (especially when I've tired of said shit), I'm going to need a hook that caters DIRECTLY to my tastes. For example, if you're going to churn out a generic console RPG with a slow-ass turn-based battle system, I'm gonna need a theme that ISN'T addled with generic pedo-bait anime characters, predictable and poorly-conceived sci-fi mysticism, and deus ex machina plot devices.

For example, I enjoyed Skies of Arcadia, but it's a formula that wears on me quickly. If they released Skies of Arcadia 2 starring furries, I wouldn't play it. Not because I'm actively anti-furry, but because a freakin' anthropomorphic animal is NOT something I'm interested in following around for forty-plus hours when the mechanics aren't improved enopugh to keep me entertained in SPITE of the theme.

Ask yourself this: how many of you folks crying racist would be drop GTA:SA off your Most Wanted list if it was set in SF and you played as a drug-crazy drag queen? WHat if it was a black drag queen?

andthebeatgoeson

Ninja Scooter said:
i play Zelda because i'm a 12 year old elf boy. I can "relate". :lol dumbest thing maf's EVER said.

maybe for the next GTA it will take place in Arizona, the action will consist of merely going to work and cursing out old people under your breath, and the soundtrack will feature Avril Lavigne and trapt.

:p OMG TEH REALIZM!!!

I'm so getting this game and it better feature a few tracks off of Doggystyle and The Chronic. And can't people get over their irrational fears that hiphop will be the only source of music. Although, this will be the first where hip hop contributes the greatest tracks. I never listened to the hip hop stations on the previous 2 cuz they didn't pick the best songs. But some early 90's hip hop would rock like that Rick James song, Ghetto Life, on Vice City. One of my favorite songs, it was a song to drive to.

When I was a young boy
Growing up in the ghetto
Hanging out on corners
Singin' with the fellas
Lookin' for the cute chicks
Trying to find a bit of fun
Looking for some trouble
Or anyone who'll give me some

I was young and crazy
In the ghetto
Didn't know what my life would be
In the ghetto
I was dumb and oh so lazy
In the ghetto
Something had a spell on me
In the ghetto

BTW, Fever was my favorite station on Vice City.

WarPig

Is it racist of me to not look forward to SA because getting assets from Rockstar is a colossal pain in the neck? Does that make me prejudiced against New Yorkers?

DFS.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Drinky Crow said:
Well, that explains the popularity of the Metal Gear Solid titles.

Them's fightin' words!

Back on point, the newest article states that "being a gangster is 15% of the total game."

There are three cities and bordering countryside in this edition. Each with unique objectives and personalities. Those expecting a strictly "hip-hop" experience are the ones who will be disappointed.

Also, remember that the main character is a fish out of water when he returns to the 'hood. So, perhaps you guys will learn to appreciate the situation he's in, since he himself will probably find it hard to... relate. Honestly, the story set-up sounds like a jived up Scarface, or an accidental Black Ceasar if you will.

And how can you not get excited about the potential for this game after reading:
In the first mission Carl is picked up from the airport by the two corrupt cops. They don’t take him home, they drop him off in rival gang territory. You have to get out quick, so the first thing you do is steal a BMX. You rapidly hit X to pedal and CJ sways from side to side to pick up momentum. This is one of the stunningly realistic animations. You complete the mission when you reach the area where CJ grew up and where his gang lives.

Korranator

Same game play differrent setting. I don't get all the fuss. Personally I got bored with the game play half way through VC. Unless the series redefines itself,then prehaps I will be interested. However, it's more of the same, pass....

andthebeatgoeson

After the last game and my initial disappointment, I replayed it recently. It'll probably be a lot of the same gameplay but it was still fun to me. The empire building aspects interest me the most. Like buying property and wacking people for revenge. Drive bys. Yeah, it's the same stuff we've been doing since GTA 2 but it's still fun and the soundtracks added a lot to the whole experience. And it'll be fun to get 100% again.

Xenon

I find it mildly amusing and more than a little sad that the only time we see this type of thread is when it involves San Andreas. I mean, it's not like we don't regularly play games featuring people/robots/blobs that have absolutely no reference to our everyday existence - but create a game with a black character set in a predominantly black and Latino setting and the alarm bells start ringing.

.... and defenses go up.

If someone said "I hate the mafia, I can't relate." Would people assume you have something against Italians? No. Why is this a racial thing at all? I think it's more of a cultural thing. But I guess some people can't make that separation. I find that a little sad.

Suerte

Mashing said:
Oh, don't get me wrong.. The graphics are fine.. I just don't like the theme at all. Just looks like a cashin on the popularity of the thug/gansta look right now... god, I'll be glad when this fad is over.

Hey, at least they didn't use the metrosexual fad! ;)

Korranator

You rapidly hit X to pedal and CJ sways from side to side to pick up momentum. This is one of the stunningly realistic animations. You complete the mission when you reach the area where CJ grew up and where his gang lives.
So button mashing on the X button is supposed to be fun??? Sounds like a overly inspired, brain dead, dumbed down, simplified, tedious excuse for game play to me.

Socreges

Banned
So the game is actually 100% 'gangsta' then, eh? I don't know if that's going to gell with me all that well. Not to say it's because I can't "relate", but I just don't like the idea of that kind of setting. At any rate, when it comes to it, the game itself will rock hard. I've never really immersed myself in the story or even mafia setting, but the city. So, no worries here, I guess.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Here's the setting for the next GTA, just to balance things up a bit! White man's rage ROAR!!

28m.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This topic is hilarious, keep it going!

Anyway, I don't like the Sopranos, I'm not Italian, and I never saw Scarface. I hated every minute of GTA3 and GTAVC!

VC was pretty disappointing, so I won't be picking up SA.

But hey, how many people here enjoyed True Crimes, which DID limit you to only rap, and horrid west coast rap too...? It did have an Inner City theme, featured a minority character, and had a lot of gameplay that was inferior to 3D GTA games...And Snoop was a hidden character. Surely you didn't mind that. :)

It's not going to be 100% "gangsta"!!!!

Like there is really going to be hardcore gangbanging on the streets of San Fran or Vegas?

That's not to say those cities are not w/o gangs, just in general when compared to LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom