• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Batman: Arkham Origins; Kevin Conroy not reprising his role [New Screens]

Xater

No rocksteady, no Hamill, no Conroy. Bloody hell, I got a bad feeling about this game.

At least the Deathstroke design is awesome.

This game has only been confirmed for current gen right? I a. Asking because these screenshots to definitely only represent the PC version.

As much as I lovd MGS and Hayters role in that, I would say this is worse since Kevin Conroy is the only legitimate Batman imo. Similar to Mark for Joker, there just the best people to ever take on those roles.

Im really not sure who could replace them.

As sacrilegious as seems Tim Daly would be be a good choice. lol. Not as grisly sounding as Conroy but I still love his voice.

lolz

je3NTwrpsfzAD.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You would think people would be positive and say 'ok time for a new Batman and a new Joker. Not having Mark Hamill means we probably shouldn't have Conroy. Conroy's Batman talking to other Jokers is just wrong. It makes it seem like he's talking to a fake joker(like in Under The Red Hood).'

What are you mother fuckers gonna do when Peter Cullen dies?

Brickhunt

ITT: People that can't let any VA other than Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill voice Batman and the Joker. Despite some great VA who voiced these characters in recent years.

Hystzen

So going off people if Conroy passes away no more animated or game batman never allowed to be made

geez people old man voicing younger will not work with conroy he too gruff

ITT: People that can't let any VA other than Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill voice Batman and the Joker. Despite some great VA who voiced these characters in recent years.

Ugh no.
Bruce Greenwood has been the only other good 'average Batman',
Diedrich Bader had a good voice but in an over the top way.
and Rino Romano is good as a younger Batman

Jeremy Sisto awful
William Baldwin awful
Benjamin McKenzie awful
Peter Weller not good

Hey I want Kevin Conroy for every batman VO's but I'm still ready to hear what they have cooked up for that game. Geez. Kevin Conroy can't live forever, there outta be somebody that can do a suitable batman.

*sigh* First no more Hamill now no more Conroy? Are they literally trying to piss off this 90's kid?

He'll be back doing batman in whatever game Rocksteady's working on. Hell, he's in injustice doing batman.

What I'd like though is Paul Dini. Wish they'd let him write for more batman games. Maybe they could do another batman game in another universe, londa like another comic book line.

I am ok with dropping Conroy for a younger batman.

Batman has had countless VA's over the years even when Conroy was in his prime. Its not like its been the same guy for 15 years or something.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Must be crazy to be Kevin Conroy. Dude does one cartoon series in the 90s, and now it's expected that he be THE voice of Batman in basically every incarnation of the Caped Crusader. There's no way he could have anticipated any of this. Sure the cartoon he did was Batman, but do people go around clamoring for Cathal J. Dodd to reprise his role as Wolverine from the 90s X-Men cartoons?

Kevin Conroy's voice is so iconic that to an entire generation, he is Batman. Screw Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and George Clooney. Conroy's the real Batman here.

isny

napkin dispenser
Not to be over dramatic but

NO CONROY = NO PURCHASE

Regardless of Batman's age Conroy should be the VO guy until he is dead

Same.

Ugh no.
Bruce Greenwood has been the only good 'average Batman',
Diedrich Bader had a good voice but in an over the top way.
and Rino Romano is good as a younger Batman

Jeremy Sisto awful
William Baldwin awful
Benjamin McKenzie awful
Peter Weller not good

Greenwood was good as he did a Conroy impersonation, lol

Bader was "okay" as he was playing Adam West.

I'm fine with no Conroy. He really sounded like he was phoning in quite a bit of his lines in the Arkham titles.

Its kinda weird because I can agree with it and don't think anyone would be better
I think it could just be how he is playing it in a Batman Is tired of this(Joker's) shit way.
for example his voice in DC Universe Online seems to have much more put into it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_0-TlkYShw
to me just sounds less 'tired' than the Arkham stuff.

I'm hoping for some Batgirl action
Too bad it won't be Cass but I agree,

The reasoning behind no Conroy annoys me far more than not actually having Conroy reprise his role.

Incidentally if they have the Joker in this and Hamill isn't up for reprising his role, they should totally get DiMaggio to play him again. Dude was great in the red hood film, sort of had a more calm, thuggish quality to him. Even sort of sounds like Hamill, especially with the laughs.

The reasoning behind no Conroy annoys me far more than not actually having Conroy reprise his role.

Incidentally if they have the Joker in this and Hamill isn't up for reprising his role, they should totally get DiMaggio to play him again. Dude was great in the red hood film, sort of had a more calm, thuggish quality to him. Even sort of sounds like Hamill, especially with the laughs.

Him or the guy from Injustice imo.

Pau

What I'd like though is Paul Dini. Wish they'd let him write for more batman games. Maybe they could do another batman game in another universe, londa like another comic book line.
If the previous Arkham games are any indication of Paul Dini's ability to write for video games, I'd rather they get someone else. It could have not been his fault completely but they were not what I expected from him.

...I thought that Joker was pretty terrible, to be honest.
If it's the same guy from DCvsMK (haven't played Injustice) than oh my god yes he was teeeeeeerrible. Voice was really grating and should have tried to do his own thing instead of mimicking Hamill.

I'm fine with no Conroy. He really sounded like he was phoning in quite a bit of his lines in the Arkham titles.

I'm not torn up about someone else doing the VA either. I wonder if the voice directing for the past two games was poor, since Conroy has done a decent job in more recent Batman stuff. I highly doubt he just lost his knack.

Sure, let's set up a story about the death of the joker and how it impacts batman. Oh wait, let's piss in rocksteady's face and have another dev make a prequel.

Brace for rocksteady's next game being a sequel to the prequel instead of the sequel City sets up, because we can't go on without the damn joker.

If it's the same guy from DCvsMK (haven't played Injustice) than oh my god yes he was teeeeeeerrible. Voice was really grating and should have tried to do his own thing instead of mimicking Hamill.

To be fair, he is far, far better in Injustice. Much more doing his own thing in that, instead of a hammil impression.

I'm willing to give another voice actor a chance, provided its someone good.

They should get Peter Weller. He kicked ass in the Dark Knight Returns series.

Sure, let's set up a story about the death of the joker and how it impacts batman. Oh wait, let's piss in rocksteady's face and have another dev make a prequel.

Brace for rocksteady's next game being a sequel to the prequel instead of the sequel City sets up, because we can't go on without the damn joker.

To be fair, he is far, far better in Injustice. Much more doing his own thing in that, instead of a hammil impression.
Eh, I reckon they're probably just going for a prequel just since Rocksteady's probably making something non-Batman related for once but the franchise is still selling like hotcakes so WB Interactive wanted to fill up the wait. I have some faith the next Rocksteady-made game will continue off what AC set-up, especially with all the scarecrow hints having to be for something more than just an easter egg.

Got any links to Joker's voice in Injustice by the way?

vg260

This game feels like doing a Batman game just to cash in, yet without as big a budget. Big name voice acting costs more.

Do people really care about the voice in a video game? In an animated movie, sure, but I just don't see why anyone would care in a video game. Especially for a character like batman. He's the easiest superhero voice out there. Anyone else can't be worse than Bale was in the movies.

Rajack

Do people really care about the voice in a video game? In an animated movie, sure, but I just don't see why anyone would care in a video game. Especially for a character like batman. He's the easiest superhero voice out there. Anyone else can't be worse than Bale was in the movies.

Yes, yes we do care.

Strike

Disappointing, but I'm more concerned about the quality of the game now that Rocksteady is no longer at the helm.

Kabuto

I'm fine with Conroy not voicing Batman in the game as well; I don't think his voice would fit a younger Batman.

How come nobody is talking about the new suit? It looks really good and I'm loving the cowl.

It looks like it's leaning more towards TDK suit instead of the Arkham suit, which wasn't that great.

Top Bottom