• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New interview with Square Enix CEO: upcoming JRPGs, episodic games, Dragon Quest

Zukuu

Banned
Well... have you missed FF XIV?

If you are talking about FF XV. then you should know that it is basically FF VXIII and that was Nomura's baby, who wanted the whole "fantasy based on reality".

I am quite sure that with FF XVI, we might go back to seeing a diverse cast.
FF XIV was a snore fest. I don't know how it could attract any player base to be honest. The 'job' system is stupid (at least for crafting and gathering jobs) and the quest design was dumber and more plain than vanilla WoW when it started out. You had a quest of kill X or collect Y from Z for EVERY fucking single monster type in every location. That's about it. The main quest was also really uninspired and didn't took off. Admittedly, I didn't play long enough to get far, but the first few quest areas were sufficient enough to bore me away.

I actually like FF 15's approach and cast (at least the old one, not a fan of the new designs by any means). The setting sounds really intriguing and reminds me a lot of FF 7 and 8.

Mario007

Matsuda is a very clueless guy when it comes to the video game market. That isn't necessarily bad, mind you. He is not stubborn and doesn't have a preconceived idea of what will work. Therefore he is open to changing his mind.

We can see this already as his first 2 years were basically throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. While not a great strategy he is at least willing to examine the results and learn from them.
On the other hand because I very much doubt he knows much about video games, some of his analysis is bad like that people enjoy linear episodic games means they'll enjoy an episodic JRPG.
This also means that Square is more of trend follower rather than trend setter, as evidenced by the "we want our AAA games to be big open world experiences" since every other company is doing it too.

Heartfyre

Very encouraging. Looks like the success of games like Bravely Default and Ni No Kuni have not gone unnoticed. These games catered to their Japanese audience but were still appreciated by the Western market. Their attempts to make why they perceive as Western games have fallen so flat over the last generation.

kiyoaki

- Apparently Life is Strange episode 1 is selling quite well. Matsuda gave Dontnod a visit to congratulate them.
That's nice to hear.
- Some of their upcoming RPGs might be episodic. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are unlikely to go episodic, as Matsuda says fans of these series are used to full-fledged titles and they are now more and more expecting "open world" types of games, but it seems they are investigating this option for more linear kinds of JRPGs.
If they released something like Final Fantasy Dimensions on consoles, I would definitely check it out. I think the episodic format worked quite well for a linear game like that.

- Regarding f2p/mobile games, Matsuda says their goal is to go multiplatform, for example mobile titles would be released also on PS Vita or PS4. Their (mobile) teams are using Unity more and more, which should make it easier.
- Matsuda acknowledges a number of Dragon Quest titles were not released in France (in the West, if you prefer, heh) but he and the DQ team are aware of the demand. He says he thinks they (the DQ team) have some ideas on how to make the franchise successful in the West, and asks us to look forward to upcoming announcements and to a "bright future" for the series.
- When asked about the popularity of JRPGs in France, Matsuda reiterates they have recently changed their focus regarding JRPG production: their current goal is to move away from Western influences and to focus on more "traditional" experiences, targeted at Japanese audience but with a strong potential on some overseas markets like France. He then adds he hopes these upcoming titles will catch our interest when they are announced.

Good god, this was an incredibly positive series of answers. I am hyped!

FF XIV was a snore fest. I don't know how it could attract any player base to be honest. The 'job' system is stupid (at least for crafting and gathering jobs) and the quest design was dumber and more plain than vanilla WoW when it started out. You had a quest of kill X or collect Y from Z for EVERY fucking single monster type in every location. That's about it. The main quest was also really uninspired and didn't took off. Admittedly, I didn't play long enough to get far, but the first few quest areas were sufficient enough to bore me away.

I actually like FF 15's approach and cast (at least the old one, not a fan of the new designs by any means). The setting sounds really intriguing and reminds me a lot of FF 7 and 8.
Well I was talking more about the cast, not really the actual game.

Cornbread78

- Regarding f2p/mobile games, Matsuda says their goal is to go multiplatform, for example mobile titles would be released also on PS Vita or PS4. Their (mobile) teams are using Unity more and more, which should make it easier

I mean, on 1 hand it is great that they are doing this as long as it is not a simple "cut and paste" job in unity to bring the same game to multiple platforms. This alows more people to enjoy their games via differnt mediums.

On the other hand, this will certainly continue to hurt console sales in Japan if they continue to prioritize their franchises being placed onto mobile devices.

dottme

- When asked about the popularity of JRPGs in France, Matsuda reiterates they have recently changed their focus regarding JRPG production: their current goal is to move away from Western influences and to focus on more "traditional" experiences, targeted at Japanese audience but with a strong potential on some overseas markets like France. He then adds he hopes these upcoming titles will catch our interest when they are announced.

Go go go. That's what the core fan base wants. They might loose part of the mass market in the West because of this but they should be able to reconquer their fans.

Steel

Banned
Matsuda is a very clueless guy when it comes to the video game market. That isn't necessarily bad, mind you. He is not stubborn and doesn't have a preconceived idea of what will work. Therefore he is open to changing his mind.

We can see this already as his first 2 years were basically throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. While not a great strategy he is at least willing to examine the results and learn from them.
On the other hand because I very much doubt he knows much about video games, some of his analysis is bad like that people enjoy linear episodic games means they'll enjoy an episodic JRPG.
This also means that Square is more of trend follower rather than trend setter, as evidenced by the "we want our AAA games to be big open world experiences" since every other company is doing it too.

Completely agreed, though his cluelessness will probably have him draw the wrong assumption when their episodic JRPGs sell badly and the mobile games they're porting to PS4/Vita sell badly.

wrowa

"Regarding f2p/mobile games, Matsuda says their goal is to go multiplatform, for example mobile titles would be released also on PS Vita or PS4. Their (mobile) teams are using Unity more and more, which should make it easier."

Makes me wonder if that new SaGa game will get a mobile release as well, since that one is using Unity too.

GunBR

Very encouraging. Looks like the success of games like Bravely Default and Ni No Kuni have not gone unnoticed. These games catered to their Japanese audience but were still appreciated by the Western market. Their attempts to make why they perceive as Western games have fallen so flat over the last generation.

Speaking about Ni No Kuni, S-E really need to reeavaluate their sales expectations

Ni No Kuni sold almost 1.5 mi and i'm pretty sure that Namco was really happy with the result. But S-E probably would see this as a huge failure, because of the scale of the production.

I mean, on 1 hand it is great that they are doing this as long as it is not a simple "cut and paste" job in unity to bring the same game to multiple platforms. This alows more people to enjoy their games via differnt mediums.

On the other hand, this will certainly continue to hurt console sales in Japan if they continue to prioritize their franchises being placed onto mobile devices.
Well... it's not like they can single handily save the Japanese market.

Acosta

Please.

Joqu

That all sounds great but I remember hearing similar things from Square Enix after Bravely Default's success in the west... I know these things take time but we really haven't seen much results so far so I can't help but wonder if it's all talk.

Speaking about Ni No Kuni, S-E really need to reeavaluate their sales expectations

Ni No Kuni sold almost 1.5 mi and i'm pretty sure that Namco was really happy with the result. But S-E probably would see this as a huge failure, because of the scale of the production.
They need to control their budget first. More importantly, they should start utilizing their time better as their games take a whole lot of time in development.

SPAW

Why must they? is there some kind of normative imperative that companies should take more risk and only receive moderate rewards I have not heard of?

sure, I want nnk2 but stop blaming SE for the condition of the JRPG market.

They have some ideas on how to make Dragon Quest successful in the West, yet they are supposedly going to move away from Western influences. Their last job posting for Dragon Quest was for a non-typical RPG. Eh...

There's really nothing this company can say to excite me anymore. Talk is cheap and SE has been terrible for a long time now.

extralite

- Some of their upcoming RPGs might be episodic. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are unlikely to go episodic, as Matsuda says fans of these series are used to full-fledged titles and they are now more and more expecting "open world" types of games, but it seems they are investigating this option for more linear kinds of JRPGs.
What is funny, due to DQX being an MMO, the way content releases for the current numbered DQ already is very close to episodic releases and Nomura had planned to split up FFXV into various parts, which also sounded episodic to me. That plan is off the table though, now that Tabata took over as director.

Capcom actually did a episodic JRPG for the Dreamcast called El Dorado Gate

el_dorado_gate_coversl0uif.jpg

Yeah, I heard about this. Was it any good? How was it split up for each episode (in terms of characters you controlled and continuity of story)? And how long were the episodes?

There was also Final Fantasy IV: The After Years that was episodic and from SE themselves.

I still don't see it. It's filled with japanese tropes, archetypes and confusing mess of a story. If 'western focused' means 'cinematic experience', then okay, but otherwise, just nope.

I wish they would actually return to the ingenious days of older FFs, where they were neither Japanese nor western focused and had just an all around great diverse cast.
There's a difference between "Western-influenced" and what "Japanese perceives to be Western-influenced". Very few Japanese developers get the Western-influence" thing right, and most just create games that fit the mold of what they THINK Westerners would like. It's one of those occasions where the "Be yourself and don't try to be something you aren't" saying works best.

Yeah, I heard about this. Was it any good? How was it split up for each episode (in terms of characters you controlled and continuity of story)? And how long were the episodes?

There was also Final Fantasy IV: The After Years that was episodic and from SE themselves.
The good thing about The After Years was that, eventually, it was made available as a FULL game with the "Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection" on PSP. I always thought they should do that with episodic games after all the episodes are released. For instance, take Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness. It's episodic and has concluded a while ago. What they should do, now, is combine all episodes into one bundle and sell them on, like, PSN or eShop or such. If not taking the time to actually LINK them into one game(like Complete Collection did), just sell the bundle of episodes(at a reasonable price). There are a LOT of interesting mobile titles I'd love to play on, say, PS4. I hate mobile devices' "touch control interface", especially on my phone(considering I have big, awkward fingers). Some games are just better played with a traditional controller, IMO, especially games as ambitious as the ones Square seemingly wants to make.

Brew124

This is all sounding fantastic to me. The only thing I'd be slightly concerned with is episodic JRPG's, but if they can pull it off correctly, it might be okay.

Koozek

Jesus, such a badly edited trailer, it's not even funny anymore. How did they think this would attract any mainstream gamers or non-FF-fan with ridiculously fast cuts of absolutly chaotic, visually unreadable footage, plus a song that is so jarringly unfitting?

This promo video of Leona Lewis playing FFXIII was cringeworthy, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEYCwJr0NA

FFXV's commercial marketing will be a lot easier with its battle system, cinematic scenes like the Summon battles, the car driving and huge world. FFVII mostly used the CGI action scenes with all the explosions for its trailers back then to lure non-RPG gamers, haha.

CHC

Sounds like Square just woke up from a long and terrible nightmare.

The "western focus" thing is the most exciting, hopefully they can design again with the philosphy that made them so famous in the first place.

dramatis

If you think the open world of FF15 isn't going to have the "kill X of Y" quest approach, I think you're overestimating the development. Even something like hunting Behemoth is your standard kill X of Y, only this time it comes with fancier graphics.

Obviously if you're doing lots of sidequests in 14 you'll be running into those quests, but the text of the sidequests and the main story are more substantial than the obligatory kill things progression.

How is the job system stupid for crafting and gathering?

As Exentryk pointed out, Toriyama was obsessed with CoD while directing XIII and later became obsessed with Skyrim.
I was always under the impression that it was "cover my ass" PR talk from Toriyama regarding 'CoD' and 'Skyrim' influence. His game of the year 2014 was a mobile schoolgirl dating sim. I feel quite certain that he has played neither CoD nor Skyrim.

Zukuu

Banned
How is the job system stupid for crafting and gathering?
Why am I naked (and need to bothersome manage multiple 'outfits') and am level 1 again (along with HP and no fighting chance whatsoever), when I just want to fucking pick up a flower, or harvest an ore deposit?! It makes ZERO sense. And hey, WAIT TIME on top after you switch back... it's stupid. I can see why you'd need that if you switch classes from warrior to make or something, but I don't see why I need a 'special' outfit just to pick something up. Boggles my mind.

Geg

Jesus, such a badly edited trailer, it's not even funny anymore. How did they think this would attract any mainstream gamers or non-FF-fan with ridiculously fast cuts of absolutly chaotic, visually unreadable footage, plus a song that is so jarringly unfitting?

This promo video of Leona Lewis playing FFXIII was cringeworthy, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEYCwJr0NA

FFXV's commercial marketing will be a lot easier with its battle system, cinematic scenes like the Summon battles, the car driving and huge world. FFVII mostly used the CGI action scenes with all the explosions for its trailers back then to lure non-RPG gamers, haha.

What does "The Battle Within Begins" even mean? Was that supposed to intrigue people? What even was the game's "battle within"?

Ravage

- Apparently Life is Strange episode 1 is selling quite well. Matsuda gave Dontnod a visit to congratulate them.

Good news for the talented team at Dontnod! I really enjoyed Remember Me (thx to Plus) and the demo for their new title.

I can't state how happy I am to hear this.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I dont really want episodic rpgs, but shorter rpgs with interesting concepts will be great.

I dont understand why they feel compelled to make rpgs with so much filler in the first place.

Koozek

I dont really want episodic rpgs, but shorter rpgs with interesting concepts will be great.

I dont understand why they feel compelled to make rpgs with so much filler in the first place.

Marketing. More hours of content = more perceived value. Plus longer games are less likely sold back used in the first few days and thus won't hurt early full-price sales.
I'd welcome shorter games, too. At least the main stories. Sidequests are good for younger people with a lot of time and everyone else can just ignore them. Though you could also say that having so much side content inflates the budget and development time. Maybe shorter games for half the price would be better then, basically more stuff like Child of Light.

Matsuda acknowledges a number of Dragon Quest titles were not released in France (in the West, if you prefer, heh) but he and the DQ team are aware of the demand. He says he thinks they (the DQ team) have some ideas on how to make the franchise successful in the West, and asks us to look forward to upcoming announcements and to a "bright future" for the series.

E3 2015 - western Localization for DQ Heroes

Come on SE...Do it....DO IT!!!!

Top Bottom