• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New interview with Square Enix CEO: upcoming JRPGs, episodic games, Dragon Quest

It's because of Matsuda's "regionality" garbage that we haven't gotten primarily Japanese targeted games localized in a timely fashion or at all. You shouldn't be praising him for suddenly discovering that SE fans everywhere in the world want to play JRPGs. It should have been obvious to anyone who understands video games.

NolbertoS

The day i believe SE releases DQ Heroes, DQVII and DQ Monsters out West, is the day, Nintendo buys out SE. I'm not believing anything until SE shows me "receipts" or marketing slogans that the game is definitely coming stateside.

wmlk

The day i believe SE releases DQ Heroes, DQVII and DQ Monsters out West, is the day, Nintendo buys out SE. I'm not believing anything until SE shows me "receipts" or marketing slogans that the game is definitely coming stateside.

DQ Heroes is already coming out.

otakukidd

I'm wondering if when they are talking about bringing over mobile games to vita and consoles like the ps4 if they mean dragon quest 1-6. Final fantasy 1-6, and tactics. All those games are on mobile and I'm sure people would love to play them not on mobile.

Also when talking about episodic jrpgs, wouldn't .hack fall in this category? But let's hope that if square does it they don't charge full price for each episode like .hack did.

Zanasea

I'm wondering if when they are talking about bringing over mobile games to vita and consoles like the ps4 if they mean dragon quest 1-6. Final fantasy 1-6, and tactics. All those games are on mobile and I'm sure people would love to play them not on mobile.

It is probably more in the lines of mobile free-to-play titles like Deadman's Cross, Rise of Mana or Final Fantasy Agito. All three games are coming to Vita. Well, Deadman's Cross is already out, actually.

jcm

I'm happy for Dontnod. Hope they're able to keep up the good work, and get the rest of the episodes out at a reasonable pace.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I like how Japanese companies are finally starting to wake up to the fact that there are people who love Japanese themes in games and hate when games are forcibly 'westernized'. France seems to be a country that is much more open to JP gaming/culture than many other western countries, I remember seeing hordes of DBZ manga years before it was even available in the US, when I went to Paris. And DQ8 sold very well there iirc.

Also, I don't think I'd have a problem with episodic RPGs... I would love to see something like a Live A Live or SaGa Frontier-esque game broken into episodes... just please don't go the After Years route with TONS of backtracking and filler and amateur-level story.

- When asked about the popularity of JRPGs in France, Matsuda reiterates they have recently changed their focus regarding JRPG production: their current goal is to move away from Western influences and to focus on more "traditional" experiences, targeted at Japanese audience but with a strong potential on some overseas markets like France. He then adds he hopes these upcoming titles will catch our interest when they are announced.

This quote makes me so happy.

Philippo

The first year i was quite worried with this CEO philosophy, but the last couple(?) of years he's been increasingly positive regards the core fanbase, i hope this will produce some great things.

Why am I naked (and need to bothersome manage multiple 'outfits') and am level 1 again (along with HP and no fighting chance whatsoever), when I just want to fucking pick up a flower, or harvest an ore deposit?! It makes ZERO sense. And hey, WAIT TIME on top after you switch back... it's stupid. I can see why you'd need that if you switch classes from warrior to make or something, but I don't see why I need a 'special' outfit just to pick something up. Boggles my mind.

Sounds like you just didn't understand the game, or take the time to understand it.

Not to be a negative nancy or anything but... I'll believe it when I see it.

Basically how I feel.

Zophar

It seems like they were paying attention when Bravely Default trounced Lightning Returns sales in the west. Square-Enix has a fantastic legacy that they're stupid not to capitalize on. People on both sides of the pond want more traditional, high quality RPGs.

Korigama

I actually think he is referring to experiments such as The Last Remnant or the Gestalt version of Nier, Japanese games more or less targeted at Western audience.
That was one of the few good things that came of it (Nier really does work much better as a story about a father devoted to his daughter, certainly less typical for the genre than a pretty boy looking after his younger sister as with Replicant).

That said, I don't trust the new CEO any more than Wada.

Oregano

It seems like they were paying attention when Bravely Default trounced Lightning Returns sales in the west. Square-Enix has a fantastic legacy that they're stupid not to capitalize on. People on both sides of the pond want more traditional, high quality RPGs.

That's why they are localizing Bravely Second and their other 3DS games - oh wait!

Links_fantasy

It's annoying that Dragon Quest Heroes is announced for the West and SE are acting like DQ is back in the west. Yet all these 3DS games get ignored like they don't exist and we're supposed to be happy? One musou game doesn't mark a franchise comeback.

Squire

Banned
A little surprised to see him say that they don't have any intention of selling Luminous as middleware.

No third party publisher in the same space as them plans to sell their tech. Frostbite is EA only, FOX Engine is Konami only.

What's actually surprising is the comment about the tech not being company wide. Their competitors are building their engines with versatility in mind to do the opposite.

Stage On

It's annoying that Dragon Quest Heroes is announced for the West and SE are acting like DQ is back in the west. Yet all these 3DS games get ignored like they don't exist and we're supposed to be happy? One musou game doesn't mark a franchise comeback.

Here here my good sir. I've refused to buy any Square enix games until they bring us Dragon quest 7. I've only broken that once for Bravely default to help show them there is an audience for rpgs on that system.

Announcing a musou isn't exactly going to get me to change my mind. I'd probally buy it if I actually had the system just to support the franchise but honestly I shouldn't have to buy something that's an entirely different genre of game to get the one I really want.

- When asked about the popularity of JRPGs in France, Matsuda reiterates they have recently changed their focus regarding JRPG production: their current goal is to move away from Western influences and to focus on more "traditional" experiences, targeted at Japanese audience but with a strong potential on some overseas markets like France. He then adds he hopes these upcoming titles will catch our interest when they are announced.

finally! took them long enough to get the idea

Squire

Banned
Here here my good sir. I've refused to buy any Square enix games until they bring us Dragon quest 7. I've only broken that once for Bravely default to help show them there is an audience for rpgs on that system.

Announcing a musou isn't exactly going to get me to change my mind. I'd probally buy it if I actually had the system just to support the franchise but honestly I shouldn't have to buy something that's an entirely different genre of game to get the one I really want.

Honestly, I think the only message this kind of position sends is, "this brand has no sales potential" whether that's the intent or not. I don't run out to by games in genres I'm not particularly taken with myself, but I think if people really want "true" DQ games coming over here, they'd do well to loosen up some. By swearing off iOS ports and Heroes and whatever else, you're probably not convincing people to just put regular old DQ out there; you're telling them the brand isn't even worth the trouble. You're drawing a line in the sand they never see.

I don't think old school Resident Evil fans were (too) thrilled that the title that best serves their tastes as of late is a remaster of a decade old game that was already a remake. But Capcom stated that was them trying to see if that kind of game still has it at market and the fanbase bit that bullet. That might pay off.

I don't think it's fair to expect them to just release this stuff. It's not the '90s anymore. If you go all or nothing, corporate suits that aren't invested in the particulars of these things will always pick nothing and move on. If you really think DQ has a future in the west, I think you should be open to compromise.

iMerc

meh.
square is absolutely inept when it comes to DQ.

nothing they've done in the past has ever led to the credence that they know what they're doing with it, and until they actually start taking this franchise seriously on a global scale (as opposed to relying on other companies to produce their own games for them. see any DQ game released in the west since 2005. other companies like nintendo should receive sole credit for having them playable in the west), i don't think anyone should be bullish on the outlook of this I.P's relevance outside of japan.

the worst thing to happen to the DQ franchise is the merger between square & enix.

KoopaTheCasual

Mevius FF for PSVita / PS4 then?
That's what it seems like to me. Now I'm actually interested to see how this game works.
Bu-but I was told that Matsuda is the harbinger of death and destruction?
That's Yoichi "Destroyer of Dreams" Wada. He's the old busted, we on to the new hotness. Matsuda apparently hit his head a few months ago (after seeing Lightning Returns vs. Bravely Default numbers) and wants to refocus direction a bit.

We'll see if he sticks to his words, in the coming years. He was Wada's right hand for a long time, so it's not like he's working off a clean slate.

Honestly, I think the only message this kind of position sends is, "this brand has no sales potential" whether that's the intent or not. I don't run out to by games in genres I'm not particularly taken with myself, but I think if people really want "true" DQ games coming over here, they'd do well to loosen up some. By swearing off iOS ports and Heroes and whatever else, you're probably not convincing people to just put regular old DQ out there; you're telling them the brand isn't even worth the trouble. You're drawing a line in the sand they never see.

I don't think old school Resident Evil fans were (too) thrilled that the title that best serves their tastes as of late is a remaster of a decade old game that was already a remake. But Capcom stated that was them trying to see if that kind of game still has it at market and the fanbase bit that bullet. That might pay off.

I don't think it's fair to expect them to just release this stuff. It's not the '90s anymore. If you go all or nothing, corporate suits that aren't invested in the particulars of these things will always pick nothing and move on. If you really think DQ has a future in the west, I think you should be open to compromise.
Paying a company for something you don't want in hopes they'll give you something you do is one of the most bizarre justifications from gamers.

By all accounts, Revelaitons 2 seems to be headed promptly back to action despite the first game being the supposed return of horror gameplay for the series. RE fans bought REMake HD because most people never owned a GameCube and gamers are being groomed the past few years more than ever to buy remakes in the face of declining original output.

Dragon Quest IX selling over 1 million in the west and the most world wide of the entire series didn't make Square take it seriously in the west. Why should we believe a Musou spinoff would make them suddenly think we want RPGs when record breaking RPG sales couldn't?

People can do whatever they want and VII 3DS will still never come over, likely because Nintendo doesn't want to spend any money on it since Square is probably skipping then with future titles, despite said record breaking sales world wide. Likewise XI is probably coming over for sure because Sony has likely paid for a PS4 version and that system is selling like dogshit in Japan so making it Western friendly and localizing it is the only way to possibly get a return on investment.

Stage On

The funny thing is I didn't swear off the ios version, or Hero's at least not directly. I simply don't own own those systems and I'm not about to plop down hundreds of dollars to get an Iphone or a ps4 I don't need just to support one brand no matter how much I love it.

In any case using an Orange to judge how well an Apple will sell is just plain dumb. It'd be like them releasing a Dragon quest fps spinoff here to see how well it sells and if it failed deciding that suddenly people don't want the RPG version anymore.

And your right this isn't the 90's anymore. Look at the Tales series, Namco abandoned it for years in the west because it wasn't a huge multimillion seller but once they brought it back with more realistic expectations it became a stable series for them here.

If anyone should be willing to comprise it's Square enix themselves. Maybe Dragon quest will never be as big as it is in Japan here but it doesn't have to be successful.

They bottem line is that they are an company that became big on releasing rpgs that has decided to NOT release those rpgs here anymore. If they want to pick nothing and move on fine but don't be surprised when people like me do the same to them.

Top Bottom