• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Leaks on AMD ZEN 2 and NAVI

longdi

Banned
sorry that's just wrong. if you control for work done, SMT saves power and doesn't increase it. it prevents transitors to perform idle cycles, while having to be kept under current (which euqlas power draw without payoff). if that wasn't the case SMT wouldn't make any sense all.

Well i ran avx stress tests and smt sucks up much more tdp. There is reason why 9700K and 9900K have different temps performance?
Anyway i disabled my 5960x smt due to security flaws, feeling good about it.

I am perfectly fine with ps5 using just 8c/8t zen2. No need for smt in consoles. I mean we have BFV running on shitty tablet cpu today. 8c/8t full cpu will be a huge step up! No disappointment please.
If anything, it is us PC Master Race that are held back on our OP 4.5-5Ghz real man cpu thanks to lowest denominator! :messenger_sleeping:

My hopes going forward, if Zen2 7nm is really 16c/32t at 4.5Ghz, im saying goodbye to Intel next year! Iirc Zen2 even comes with PCIE4.0!
Meaning PS5 likely to have PCIE4.0. Going to predict 16GB GDDR6 + 8GB DDR4 (for OS crap) in Sony's next. Now if we have some RTX hardware, that is what next gen consoles (aka lowest denominator) should be in 2020.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Not knowing the history of the image I thought it's a funny picture that praises AMD for effortlessly pioneering consumer multi-multi core cpus. Don't take things so hard :)
Sureeee the buffoon represents the finest in the industry and its totally not mocking but praising :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Darius87

I think they'll be needing to find a happy medium because VR requires a high framerate and it requires two different images for each eye. I'd personally be concerned about both.

It could be two images but only one screen split for both eyes like on PSVR for example:
HDTV rendering 1080*1920=2073 600 pixels
PSVR rendering (1080*960)*2=2073 600 pixels
result is same amount of pixels to render, the trick to offset one eye a bit to give depth perseption, same thing could be applied to PSVR2 to save performance.
It just popped up in my head - checkerboard rendering for the rescue? They can render two images at a mere 720-900p at 90-120FPS, and then upscale the whole thing to 1440-1800p. They can also run it at just 60FPS and interpolate to 120, like PSVR already does. Those both techniques combined would make VR not so demanding as a "brute force" rendering does.

I don't think checkerboard or any upscaling is good idea for PSVR artifacts would be easily noticable it's harder to notice on TV then on headset because eyes are so close to lenses, only way to save performance is to render less pixels and interpolation doesn't saves any performance it's just makes head movement feel like 120FPS but objects are 60FPS if that makes sense?

I can just post a bunch of recent releases that is better to turn SMT off for better performance.

man you realy can't compare that with games running on fixed hardware...

But that is not my only point this gen devs praised how PS4 was easy to developer so why add something like SMT that will add difficult to optimize???
I’m 99% in the fence that a console APU won’t have SMT... SMT is awesome worth workstations that runs a lot of apps in parallel not consoles that the main focus is to run a single game.

that does not add any meaningful difficulty to programming at all. if you are able to shedule your work to 8 threads you can also do it on 16. another plus, you could relatively simple run game logic for backwards compatibility at double the native rate.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nah, just calling out bs
Huh? Well you can't exactly change the past and what I personally thought upon first seeing that image which was a funny positive rather than your view of the ugly negative so what are you even antagonizing here? It doesn't change, it happened, I thought it's a positive for AMD image showing them effortlessly (by appearing like they're just fooling around) they make better CPUs these days with intel having to play catch up. Sucks to be you if you get so worked up over what I thought of an image and have to call it out as such terrible bs I guess. Lol?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
man you realy can't compare that with games running on fixed hardware...

that does not add any meaningful difficulty to programming at all. if you are able to shedule your work to 8 threads you can also do it on 16. another plus, you could relatively simple run game logic for backwards compatibility at double the native rate.
What I’m games can be scheduled in 16 threads??? Even 8 is hard to think because not everything in games can be done in parallel... AI for example can’t be done.

There is a big difficult in parallelise game tasks and that will just get hardware more cores you have.

Games losing performance with SMT is not because the game is not optimized but because the SMT nature didn’t give advantage for a game pipeline so the threads running in a virtual core runs slower than a threads in a real core creating issues in the real-time schedule of the game.

SMP is a no go for games and so for next-gen consoles.

For games: clock & IPC >>> cores & SMP

4GHz single core CPU will run a game better than 2GHz Dual-core CPU... if the core is virtual (SMP) it will be even worst.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
What I’m games can be scheduled in 16 threads??? Even 8 is hard to think because not everything in games can be done in parallel... AI for example can’t be done.

There is a big difficult in parallelise game tasks and that will just get hardware more cores you have.

Games losing performance with SMT is not because the game is not optimized but because the SMT nature didn’t give advantage for a game pipeline so the threads running in a virtual core runs slower than a threads in a real core creating issues in the real-time schedule of the game.

SMP is a no go for games and so for next-gen consoles.

For games: clock & IPC >>> cores & SMP

4GHz single core CPU will run a game better than 2GHz Dual-core CPU... if the core is virtual (SMP) it will be even worst.

On Intel 4 core CPU's HT is essential now. 2 years ago I changed my 2500K 4.4GHz to 2600K 4.4GHz and that was one great decission. This is what 4 more threads can do in 2018 games (look at 2500k->2600k and 7600K->7700K)

With 16 threads on consoles devs will finaly write engines for more than 8 threads. So yes, Ryzen's don't get anything from HT right now (in gaming) but will get big boost after Gen 9 arrives.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Huh? Well you can't exactly change the past and what I personally thought upon first seeing that image which was a funny positive rather than your view of the ugly negative so what are you even antagonizing here? It doesn't change, it happened, I thought it's a positive for AMD image showing them effortlessly (by appearing like they're just fooling around) they make better CPUs these days with intel having to play catch up. Sucks to be you if you get so worked up over what I thought of an image and have to call it out as such terrible bs I guess. Lol?
How is the picture of a buffoon making a clueless face pointing at a broken chart with the same indicator in the x and y axis be viewed as praising amd?
Either you are bait trolling or very slow, eager to see how you explain this one

Im chill, just calling out the bs or does that bother you?

Alexios

How is the picture of a buffoon making a clueless face pointing at a broken chart with the same indicator in the x and y axis be viewed as praising amd?
Either you are bait trolling or very slow, eager to see how you explain this one

Im chill, just calling out the bs or does that bother you?
Because comics often exaggerate for comedic effect? That's why I said I laughed? What's wrong with you?

It's what I thought upon seeing it, you cannot change that. If you want to make this personal and talk about how dumb I am for thinking that, go ahead, you don't phase me in the least, lol.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Because comics often exaggerate for comedic effect? That's why I said I laughed? What's wrong with you?

It's what I thought upon seeing it, you cannot change that. If you want to make this personal and talk about how dumb I am for thinking that, go ahead, you don't phase me in the least, lol.
Exaggerated Comics or parodies are used to mock, have fun at something which is fine, this meme was funny back in the day because it parodied AMDs reality
I think its disingenuous to push this comic as response to AMD new line of CPUs and claim its praising amd but that's just me, maybe i misjudged you and you weren't baiting, you just perceive things in a different special way, in that case I apologize :p.

Last edited:

Alexios

Exaggerated Comics or parodies are used to mock, have fun at something which is fine, this meme was funny back in the day because it parodied AMDs reality
I think its disingenuous to push this comic as response to AMD new line of CPUs and claim its praising amd but that's just me, maybe i misjudged you and you weren't baiting, you just perceive things in a different special way, in that case I apologize.
What else could I have been talking about? Reread the first post of mine you quoted maybe which acknowledged your explanation of the image's history and just said that me being ignorant of said history just took it as a funny positive image considering that, indeed, lately AMD has been pioneering the now more desirable than ever multi-core direction so who could possible seriously put them down over it? Thanks for acknowledging I'm special and that you wasted your time anatagonizing me over nothing, that's a positive step, you're special too :p

Last edited:

SonGoku

What else could I have been talking about? Reread the first post of mine you quoted maybe which acknowledged your explanation of the image's history and just said that me being ignorant of said history just took it as a funny positive image considering that, indeed, lately AMD has been pioneering the now more desirable than ever multi-core direction so who could possible seriously put them down over it?
I just questioned the praising amd part, i have no qualms with it being funny to others or whatnot

Edit:
Just a nitpick, multicore has been the more desirable choice since Pentium hit a hard ceiling and with it Intel core was born, the problem was amd cores were trash so more wasn't better

Last edited:
Top Bottom