• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little King's Story |OT| My little king can't possibly be this cute

ijed

Vita version is also easier, but has less character. Wii version has some really hard but memorable bosses. Also I don't know about the Vita version but the Wii soundtrack was nearly 100% arrangements of well-known classical music.

yeah some of the boss fights got replaced - tv dinnah and drunk boss were a bit tough but great. there's probably technical reasons why they changed them.

Asian version arrived from Play-Asia. I can confirm it is indeed in English so if you want a physical copy there you go. I think I recall someone asking about trophies and if they were in English, I can also confirm that to be the case. Not bad for only about $5 more than the digital version...plus shipping of course.

Thanks for this confirmation. Tho it sounds like managing multiple PSN accounts on the Vita isn't such a pain in the butt so maybe I can support the US ver but physical copy is hard to resist.

And goddamn it Play Asia is sold out of it. D:

How do you get a wedding going with the citizens? I just send them rushing into the church but they always come out angry. Do they have to be a certain level? Does their job matter or can I marry farmers to knights, archers to lumberjacks etc.?

How do you get a wedding going with the citizens? I just send them rushing into the church but they always come out angry. Do they have to be a certain level? Does their job matter or can I marry farmers to knights, archers to lumberjacks etc.?

Honestly, I just recruit as many citizens with hearts above their heads and send them into the church. For me it's random.

How bad is the slowdow? 20fps bad or 10fps bad?

I'll be honest, I have 26 citizens following me now and it's really bad, in the teens bad. You can increase the camera to get closer to the ground and it minimizes the slow down.

GJS

The status menu lists who they are in love with, if anyone. Find two that love each other and send them into the church.

So Konami has already detailed the DLC even further:

You can buy items in 23 individual packs, which range in price from 99 cents to $2.99.

Or if you love King Corobo as much as Princess Apricot does you can get all of the DLC for $19.99 by purchasing the Little King’s DLC Ultimate Pass. New Little King’s Story will have weekly updates with extra weapons, costumes, and power ups.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/0...s-packs-all-future-dlc-in-one-digital-bundle/

Thoughts? I haven't even cleared the game once yet so I'm not ready for DLC, unless it's cosmetic.

ijed

Thoughts? I haven't even cleared the game once yet so I'm not ready for DLC, unless it's cosmetic.

think its all just weapons and costume. dont think there's any new content. could bite for the gothic loli costumes though.

also dunno what the last 3 jobs i need to find are unless they unlock after doing the encyclopedias

Ken

So with PSN cards back up on Amazon, someone sell me on the game. All I know is that it's kind of like Pikmin and framerate problems.

Shai-Tan

Banned
So with PSN cards back up on Amazon, someone sell me on the game. All I know is that it's kind of like Pikmin and framerate problems.

I'm also curious. I have a $50 card and was thinking of either getting New Little King's Story or some combination of Lumines, Sound Shapes, Unit 13, Escape Plan

It's basically Pikmin mixed with The Settlers. You need to not only build and level your army but you need to upgrade and expand your kingdom. It's a lot of fun, the framerate can get annoying but I still keep coming back to play it. I'm like 9ish hours in and I've only rescued three princesses so. . There's tons of content in the game.

Akkad

Banned
How do you know who can marry whom? I sent two people with heart icons above their heads to the church and they came out angry.

dvolovets

What is the soundtrack like in this one? Does it also feature new arrangements of classical music, or is it an entirely new soundtrack?

What is the soundtrack like in this one? Does it also feature new arrangements of classical music, or is it an entirely new soundtrack?

New arrangements of classical music, it's a different soundtrack. Also when you're looking at the status of villagers, in the bottom right it'll show who they're in love with (if they are).

semiconscious

Gold Member
98% 'plan success level', & this's easily my winner of the 'best vita game you never saw coming' award. yeah, the occasional slow-down's unfortunate, but my personal tolerance level, particularly considering all that's done right in this gem, pretty much allows me to ignore it :) ...

This game is so amazing. Here are some tips I have for you guys as these are things that are easily missable:

1) You can collect taxes by sending soldiers into houses that have the flashing arrow by the door.
2) Back touch seems to only be for getting monster info, if you touch right on top of an on screen monster.

I'm stuck at the peninsula just outside the Skull Tunnel - the fire onii that keeps attacking the spot where you can build a bridge? What the hell can I do there? :\ I've tried every other region and can't figure out how to advance. I even equipped my builders with the fire-nullifying hats and they still get knocked down, as if they were hurt (but they weren't).

This game is so amazing. Here are some tips I have for you guys as these are things that are easily missable:

1) You can collect taxes by sending soldiers into houses that have the flashing arrow by the door.
2) Back touch seems to only be for getting monster info, if you touch right on top of an on screen monster.

I'm stuck at the peninsula just outside the Skull Tunnel - the fire onii that keeps attacking the spot where you can build a bridge? What the hell can I do there? : I've tried every other region and can't figure out how to advance. I even equipped my builders with the fire-nullifying hats and they still get knocked down, as if they were hurt (but they weren't).

Oh man that spot was so annoying. The way I made it passed there was to bring alot of archers with me, target the fire onii, and have them hit from long range.

Oh man that spot was so annoying. The way I made it passed there was to bring alot of archers with me, target the fire onii, and have them hit from long range.

That's the weird thing.. I can't get them to target him. Is it one of those lame line of sight issues? If I get too close, my king gets hurt... I wasn't sure if he was even attack-able.

ijed

That's the weird thing.. I can't get them to target him. Is it one of those lame line of sight issues? If I get too close, my king gets hurt... I wasn't sure if he was even attack-able.

I think all but one are attackable - though the one's on the right hand side you can attack once you're on the other side of the penninsula.

All but one of them you can walk around their fire if you keep your guys in a straight line. Kill the ones you can and if you have a mega carpenter (or giga-carpenter or craftian) it'll make building the bridge a lot quicker.

As for me I've got 2 more songs to find (you have to do a lap around the town between 10pm and midnight looking for people singing) and these other 3 jobs which I'm starting to think are DLC or from hell mode.... or I just need to do something else to unlock them...

Akkad

Banned
New arrangements of classical music, it's a different soundtrack. Also when you're looking at the status of villagers, in the bottom right it'll show who they're in love with (if they are).

It just shows a heart. I did get a couple married, but I have no idea how.

ijed

The heart is how much they like the king - IIRC you have to go to the 2nd menu to see who they are in love with. Also it's only when you are on the throne that the status menu shows everyone otherwise it only shows you you current party members.

AFAIK the last 3 jobs you've to get them through alchemy

I <3 BomberMouse ^_^

Sera O

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game so far - never tried the Wii version, but it feels like there is a lot to do.

I'm kind of lost at the moment - I got through bone tunnel and then started getting slapped around by dragons and flamethrowing oniis. I'm not sure if there's another path I should be going through first to toughen up. Is that the only direction I can proceed in at this point? When I talk to people in the town they are telling me to avoid skull plain and go to eggan first but I have a tough time finding paths on the map.

If the citizen is in love with someone, the name of that person will appear to the right of that heart in status menu - under the character model. When I'm back in town I cycle through the guard's status to see if any names are appearing, and if they do just rush everyone into the church. Repeat until the wedding/stork scene stops coming. I've got 23 in my royal guard right now so it's pretty frequent that I'll marry off 3 couples - I change the lineup pretty often.

What I'm not really getting is whether there is a benefit to the citizens liking me. I tend to dump the guard and pick all new people out of the carefree dudes, but I'm not sure whether there is a benefit or whether I should just be leveling the same people.

Sera O

Banned

Holy crap. I had no idea I could collect taxes. I could've sworn I read everything in the manual and help section, too.

I think all but one are attackable - though the one's on the right hand side you can attack once you're on the other side of the penninsula.

All but one of them you can walk around their fire if you keep your guys in a straight line. Kill the ones you can and if you have a mega carpenter (or giga-carpenter or craftian) it'll make building the bridge a lot quicker.

As for me I've got 2 more songs to find (you have to do a lap around the town between 10pm and midnight looking for people singing) and these other 3 jobs which I'm starting to think are DLC or from hell mode.... or I just need to do something else to unlock them...

I managed to get like two archers to attack him, but wouldn't you know it, I wasn't paying attention to my king's health and got KO'ed. @_@ Gonna retry. What's annoying is that once you've aggro'ed him, he won't stop shooting fire. So it's basically get all archers firing immediately or go home, because the fire covers the entire area where they can get into position...

I'm kind of lost at the moment - I got through bone tunnel and then started getting slapped around by dragons and flamethrowing oniis. I'm not sure if there's another path I should be going through first to toughen up. Is that the only direction I can proceed in at this point? When I talk to people in the town they are telling me to avoid skull plain and go to eggan first but I have a tough time finding paths on the map.

What I'm not really getting is whether there is a benefit to the citizens liking me. I tend to dump the guard and pick all new people out of the carefree dudes, but I'm not sure whether there is a benefit or whether I should just be leveling the same people.

That's where I'm stuck at. It seems you can attack some of the Onii on the separate islands but it's best to just avoid them all until you get to the one at the end, next to where you can build a bridge. That's where I'm stuck at. Goddamnit I hate that Onii lmao.

I don't think there's a benefit to citizens liking you more... outside of maybe you being able to tax them more? Also I tend to stick to the same people in my personal guard, keep leveling them and get more HP, that's basically it really. I'm going to start power leveling some more villagers because I want a bigger supply of guys so in case a few get KOed, I have some more to fall back on.

Finally killed that prick on the peninsula. So, archers are weird. . You have to have some distance for them to properly position themselves and for some reason the only spot that worked at the end of that peninsula was all the way to the left, facing the onii. After that, everything is a breeze, I'm demolishing everything in the skull plains.

Pro tip, get half archers and half hardened soldiers. Just keep leveling them and upgrading their gear and you basically steamroll anything.

Finally killed that prick on the peninsula. So, archers are weird. . You have to have some distance for them to properly position themselves and for some reason the only spot that worked at the end of that peninsula was all the way to the left, facing the onii. After that, everything is a breeze, I'm demolishing everything in the skull plains.

Pro tip, get half archers and half hardened soldiers. Just keep leveling them and upgrading their gear and you basically steamroll anything.

Pretty much. I bring also 2 farmers, 2 miners and 2 construction workers to help bring down obstacles and build stuff.

Christian

How do you collect the humming for the music encyclopedia? I know you have to do it between 10 and midnight, but I don't know what to do when I see someone with a music symbol over their head.

ijed

How do you collect the humming for the music encyclopedia? I know you have to do it between 10 and midnight, but I don't know what to do when I see someone with a music symbol over their head.

You just go up and talk to them and they'll sing the song for you. You're looking for a blue music note on your radar to indicate a song you haven't learnt yet.
Also make sure you check the beach because there's someone singing there.

EDIT: Easy way to do it
Just go through summoning teams and look for the blue notes! You need to summon then release them before they give you their tune though

Pretty much. I bring also 2 farmers, 2 miners and 2 construction workers to help bring down obstacles and build stuff.
Or just bring one of each - then you could bring a merchant, a kid (give him some decent armour) and a chef :D

Also when you unlock Craftians they are pretty much a farmer and mega-carpenter rolled into one

---------------------------------------------------------------

Oh: Something missed about people falling in love - I'm pretty sure you need to have them in your royal guard and take them out with you a couple of times.
During battle they'll get little love hearts above their heads when they are battling alongside one another - and disbanding them (down on d-pad) you'll get a message that your royal guards fondness has grown (or something like that). After a couple of days (or a certain amount of xp) they'll fall in love and you can then see who they are in love with on the status page.

Sera O

Banned
I'm stuck and I'm not sure where to go right now. I got to the two princesses accessible through skull plains
the drunkard princess from the mountain, and the android from the mecha onii island
but as much as I wander around I can't figure out how to reach Eggan or TV station. I've beat all the sub-bosses and done all open development in the town, and I still can't spot how to get anyplace new. Any tips?

I don't think there's a benefit to citizens liking you more... outside of maybe you being able to tax them more? Also I tend to stick to the same people in my personal guard, keep leveling them and get more HP, that's basically it really. I'm going to start power leveling some more villagers because I want a bigger supply of guys so in case a few get KOed, I have some more to fall back on.

Yeah, the taxes aren't worth the bother to collect. It improves success at alchemy if the participants like you, but other than that it doesn't seem to impact anything. I converted a bunch of smily-face people to chefs and merchants to make the job-summon items.

ijed

I can't figure out how to reach Eggan or TV station. I've beat all the sub-bosses and done all open development in the town, and I still can't spot how to get anyplace new. Any tips?
from skull plains cow cannon go south through the maze for eggan or east around the lake for the entrance to tv station
finished the encyclopedias - now just have to live happily ever after 7 more times

I just freed Princess Apricot. How can I bring her into battle?

You have to go up to her and "recruit" her as you would any other villager. It's weird, I thought you could talk to them and do it that way but apparently you just have to use the force of will.

ZeroAKA

You have to go up to her and "recruit" her as you would any other villager. It's weird, I thought you could talk to them and do it that way but apparently you just have to use the force of will.
Thanks, I never would have thought of trying that. I kept talking to her and trying to badge her through the citizen list.

persongr

So yeah, been playing the game for a couple of hours and it seems innovative, to say at least.

But I wanted to ask, are festivals of any importance? I mean, if I just call it a day, am I losing something?

Christian

Just got the last trophy and dat plat. All told, probably took around 50 hours. Decent game, lots of content, awful localization. Wish they would've put more effort into it, but I'm sure there were more than a few budget restrictions. It's no Pikmin, but what is?

All the "this game is just decent" comments make me want to save my money for VLR. :(

It all depends on what you expect from it. It's not a perfect port, no, but it's super fun and incredibly deep like the original. It has new stuff too. There are performance issues but a lot of us think it's worth it ... honestly I was interested in VLR at first but after playing the demo... idk if I can get into it, I guess because it's more of a visual novel/puzzle game? Anyway, I really love NLKS! :)

ajim

Fantastic game, and I have to agree with everyone else; it does seem a lot easier than the Wii version. It could be that I just remember how to play the game with recruiting and battles that its easier tho.

Great hand held title!

Sera O

Banned
from skull plains cow cannon go south through the maze for eggan or east around the lake for the entrance to tv station
finished the encyclopedias - now just have to live happily ever after 7 more times

Awesome, thanks for the help.

So yeah, been playing the game for a couple of hours and it seems innovative, to say at least.

But I wanted to ask, are festivals of any importance? I mean, if I just call it a day, am I losing something?

Festivals are just for the amusement of seeing the villagers in funny hats twirling around while the la traviata drinking song plays - you don't lose out by skipping it.

All the "this game is just decent" comments make me want to save my money for VLR. :(

They're such different games that it's a tough call to make. I'm planning on getting VLR as I really liked 999, but NLKS is really meaty. I think maybe it makes a difference that I never played the original LKS, so it's a completely fresh experience. I've seen disappointment over the art style and repeated material, but since I'm not comparing it I'm loving it. I think it's the vita game I've spent the most time with so far. Still need to dig into Gravity Rush though.

It all depends on what you expect from it. It's not a perfect port, no, but it's super fun and incredibly deep like the original. It has new stuff too. There are performance issues but a lot of us think it's worth it ...

Totally agree. My royal guard is up to 30 now and the slowdown can be pretty annoying, but it's most severe in the city - when I'm exploring and battling it is better. There is just so much to do, it does feel like a full game. Initially I thought it was kind of pricey, especially just for the PSN download, but it has been worth it.

Top Bottom