• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Madcatz Arcade Stick & GamePad for SFV

thelastword

Banned
Man this is awesome, this is the exact pad I've been asking for, 6 face buttons, dpad plus analog sticks (I use both simultaneously in fighters) and 4 shoulder buttons for triple kkk, ppp and whatever else I see fit, focus, v trigger, taunt.

I've been talking about this for the longest time, even in a thread last year where we questioned markman on future Madcatz products, when I described what I wanted, which amazingly is what they have here, I realized he disappeared from the thread. Apparently he could not confirm, but I'm so happy to have a pad that covers everything for me.

The ergonomics looks a little boxy, I'd rather the shoulder tabs be large buttons like my Hori 4 commander Pro, don't think the triggers are especially good for fighters, but the design and what it covers is perfect. Finally pad warriors are being catered too.

I'm not a stick guy, but I like the look of it too, if the stick is cheap enough, I will purchase it to replace my $27 Walmart stick, which I use to learn stick and do trials.

Naked Lunch

Its hilarious they are putting analogs on the controller - no one on earth will use that shit. People buy fight pads for having a fight pad (ie d pad only). I guess they are trying to sell it to all consumers. So much stuff in the way. Angular controllers have never been a good idea either - but ill reserve judgement.

I played on a fightstick that small before(The Hori mini), after just a few matches my hands were seriously saying stop playing. Definitely something to think about if you're used to playing on the bigger fightsticks. Using a small fightstick was painful and not enjoyable even when I was winning.

Never again.

Seriously take into consideration if you have large hands, could be great for a kid tho, like one of those mini baseball gloves.

Controller looks cool though.

New002

I won't lie their Street Fighter X Tekken Fightpad was awesome and is comfortable. The D-Pad looks deceptive and works amazingly.

fightpads.jpg

Yeah what they needed to do was refine their Sega Saturn knock-off pad. I don't even mean that in a bad way lol. The closer you can get to the SS pad the better. I remember Markman comparing these to the SS pad back when they where announced. Unfortunately they didn't live up to that if I recall correctly.

Hope it uses real Sanwa parts. I bought the SE years ago and the stick didn't register a diagonal out of the box. Don't see any screws to easily open this one up either, unless they're hiding underneath the red stuff.

I'll probably go for a TE2 or just wait for Qanba to reveal their PS4 sticks

vg260

The pad looks interesting. It looks like it might copy the Hori FC4 pad and have a switch to make the left shoulder buttons L3&R3 which was a nice feature. I can't tell from the image though.

The square-ness of the shape is the most worrying part. I really hope it's comfortable. I'd like to pick one up if so because it looks like it covers all bases, which I really like. I don't care if it's ugly.

Wedge7

Hrm, I think they look pretty bad, but then again, its the budget stick, so you cant expect too much I suppose. Will be like most and wait for the TE2 Ps4 sticks to come out closer to launch.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hello arcade stick and game controller experts. For full disclosure, my name is Mark (MarkMan) and I work at Mad Catz. I am also in charge of all the fighting game products at the company.

There's so much to say/speculate from two photos. I assure you this is still a work in progress and there are a lot of things to be said in the near future. I enjoy reading feedback and wishlists.

:D

airjoca

Hello arcade stick and game controller experts. For full disclosure, my name is Mark (MarkMan) and I work at Mad Catz. I am also in charge of all the fighting game products at the company.

There's so much to say/speculate from two photos. I assure you this is still a work in progress and there are a lot of things to be said in the near future. I enjoy reading feedback and wishlists.

Well hello there.

I'm more interested in the controller so I'll write some of my thoughts:

- The overall shape worries me for it's angular design, doesn't look as though it will feel comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

- The analog sticks seem to be too close to the D-pad and buttons, they should be moved a bit inwards.

- Those triggers HAVE to be good to work properly.

- I've owned a few Madcatz fightpads, the first SFIV models and the SxT model, and now a Fighting Commander 4 from Hori. Hori's product has a more sturdy feel to it, while yours are a bit light and more "plasticky". I really hope you guys improve on the overall build quality.

- The shoulder buttons seem to have a weird shape, are they ergonomical? I didn't really like the shoulder buttons on the previous Madcatz Fightpads, particularly because the buttons had their axis on the outside.

That's it for now I guess. :)

Till February :'(

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My main impression from looking at the fightpad is it looks like it flipped the bird to ergonomics. Lots of hard angles and the way the right hand side's designed, it looks like someone trying to play a game requiring the R stick would be hurting rather quickly.

That's not really its intended purpose I realize, but as a multi game pad, I don't see this pad working well.

Varth

My main impression from looking at the fightpad is it looks like it flipped the bird to ergonomics. Lots of hard angles and the way the right hand side's designed, it looks like someone trying to play a game requiring the R stick would be hurting rather quickly.

That's not really its intended purpose I realize, but as a multi game pad, I don't see this pad working well.

THIS. Can't even begin to understand how it could be comfortable.

Also, at first glance it seems like some budget shit from the dark(er) ages of Mad Catz.

Do not want.

That pad seems to me a smart way of making it useful for fighting games but also capable for other games

I'm in need of a second controller on the ps4 too so this might do

thelastword

Banned
I won't lie their Street Fighter X Tekken Fightpad was awesome and is comfortable. The D-Pad looks deceptive and works amazingly.

fightpads.jpg
I've been looking to buy two of these recently, but it seems they're out of circulation. I remember the last time I looked on (Amazon), they were priced at $18-30, but prices are a bit ridiculous now. Take this for e.g.

Even Ebay is a bit iffy with availability and sane prices.

PureYeti

I've been looking to buy two of these recently, but it seems they're out of circulation. I remember the last time I looked on (Amazon), they were priced at $18-30, but prices are a bit ridiculous now. Take this for e.g.

Yea I notice that too. I think it got sold quick after people found out you can play ps3 controllers on the ps4. Only thing left is to get the original SFIV fightpads or go to smaller game shops.

Why are the heavy punch and kick buttons not aligned with the other buttons? It seems like such a grave mistake in an otherwise solid looking controller.

smurfx

get some go again

please make the d-pad good.

YoungOne

If you can please add a switch that can turn off the two analogue sticks like other said a good dpad is a must I would like one that clicks when each of the 8 directions, plus I would like the buttons to have a slight curve at the top to help with slide inputs.

Neoxon

I have a few things that I'm hoping for with your FightPad...
  • The D-Pad texture to be more like the Saturn's (a soft matte finish)
  • Non-slippery bumpers & triggers
  • The ability to turn off the analog sticks, share button, touchpad, etc.
  • Non-slip back for the controller when you hold it (like the DS4)
  • A headphone jack (I'm also hoping for this in your arcade sticks)
  • Easy to press buttons (similar to Sanwa buttons)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Why are the heavy punch and kick buttons not aligned with the other buttons? It seems like such a grave mistake in an otherwise solid looking controller.

Nah. Having the last two buttons rocketing to the sky would be a mistake. (It sucked on the Madcatz DC 6 button controller almost as much as their d-pad.) That arc follows the more natural arrangement of the hand. If you claw or if you use your thumb, doesn't matter.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Had two sf4 fight pads break on me within a couple months. Not going to touch these.

The first run of fightpads weren't made very well. I had a defective 360 pad and multiple problems with all the wireless PS3 fightpads I tried. The second batch of 360 fightpads were fine and then things got much better with the SFxTK (and I believe the WWE Brawl pads are the same?) fightpads, which thankfully also went wired on PS3. I've been using these pads for both platforms for a few years now and they all still work great. I'm looking forward to seeing how these new pads turn out. That stick looks pretty bad though.

tariniel

I can see how that gamepad design might be good for pad players, especially since from what I've seen a lot of them use the face buttons like you would on a stick anyway. But that stick... it looks awful.

Here's hoping SF V works with my old TE Round 2 stick. It still holds up like a champ and works great on PC too.

not mad at the stick. like a throwback to the nes advantage or that old namco stick. If it is at a lower price point will probably will get more folks into arcade sticks. The arc placement on the pad buttons is pretty neat too. will most likely pick one up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Please go back to the drawing board with the controller. Like typical Mad Katz, nobody benefits.

Just look at everyone (including me) going "why didn't they just stick with the Saturn design?"

DO THAT. MAKE PC DRIVERS THAT MAKE IT THINK IT'S A 360 CONTROLLER.

BAM. DONE. You'd sell boatloads from people wanting a quality Saturn pad that Sega isn't doing themselves.

So we still don't know if PS3 sticks will work on PS4?

That's real shitty to me. I do not want to folk out for a new stick every gen, for the reason that I will only being using it with SF5 just like I only used my stick for SF4 - and I bought one for each 360 and PS3. If they don't allow PS3 sticks to work with SF5 it will really make me reconsider an otherwise confirmed purchase because there's no way I'm playing SF with a fucking Sony pad.

Better than the saturn pad imo, esp for sf4, i have four of these boxed brand new, might be time to ebay them as sf5 draws closer

Please go back to the drawing board with the controller. Like typical Mad Katz, nobody benefits.

Just look at everyone (including me) going "why didn't they just stick with the Saturn design?"

DO THAT. MAKE PC DRIVERS THAT MAKE IT THINK IT'S A 360 CONTROLLER.

BAM. DONE. You'd sell boatloads from people wanting a quality Saturn pad that Sega isn't doing themselves.
I like that the controller isn't just for fighting games. I have enough of those already with two Saturn usb pads that are useless on the ps4, I don't need more controllers I can't use in anything else

thelastword

Banned
Better than the saturn pad imo, esp for sf4, i have four of these boxed brand new, might be time to ebay them as sf5 draws closer
I'll be checking ebay to grab two of these at reasonable prices in the coming weeks, always wanted to buy them, heard lots of good things, but I had quite a few pads already.

I'll be getting them primarily for PC usf4, also have skullgirls on there and I plan to get K.I and SF5 there too, so I don't want to miss out on a good set of pads for the lot.

I've been using a Dual Shock 2 on my PC all this time for USF4, but it's going the way of the dodo now (sticking r1 button causes the entire controller to become unresponsive mid match). I have two new DS2's coming in (not original DS2's this time around, lol).

I guess I can use my Hori Commander 4, but I need a controller with analogs when playing Gief, so I have it mostly for SF5 on the PS4. I also have a Saturn pad, it's the best of both worlds as it's dpad is a dpad/analog stick hybrid, but I haven't used it too much at all really, it's a bit light though. I also have a PDP Versus pad, but the dpad is straight awful.

Wish Logitech continued making decent pads, by now they would have had a 6 face button pad, I absolutely loved the dpads on the logitechs I had and the SFXT pad seems to have a similar dpad.

New002

I'll be checking ebay to grab two of these at reasonable prices in the coming weeks, always wanted to buy them, heard lots of good things, but I had quite a few pads already.

I'll be getting them primarily for PC usf4, also have skullgirls on there and I plan to get K.I and SF5 there too, so I don't want to miss out on a good set of pads for the lot.

I've been using a Dual Shock 2 on my PC all this time for USF4, but it's going the way of the dodo now (sticking r1 button causes the entire controller to become unresponsive mid match). I have two new DS2's coming in (not original DS2's this time around, lol).

I guess I can use my Hori Commander 4, but I need a controller with analogs when playing Gief, so I have it mostly for SF5 on the PS4. I also have a Saturn pad, it's the best of both worlds as it's dpad is a dpad/analog stick hybrid, but I haven't used it too much at all really, it's a bit light though. I also have a PDP Versus pad, but the dpad is straight awful.

Wish Logitech continued making decent pads, by now they would have had a 6 face button pad, I absolutely loved the dpads on the logitechs I had and the SFXT pad seems to have a similar dpad.

Judging by the prices it sounds like you'd be better off buying a Saturn pad and a Saturn to PC adapter. I did just that recently in order to have a decent pad setup at my place since my buddies don't like arcade sticks. It was used to play SFIV for a few hours this past weekend. Flawless.

Top Bottom