• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Madcatz Arcade Stick & GamePad for SFV

notworksafe

because a PCB with wires already coming off of it is far easier to slap into a different controller than legitimately padhacking a PCB. Not to mention cheaper if you dont already have all the modding tools necessary for a padhack (barring the actual difference in cost between the stick and a pad)

Perhaps so but I can't see this being under about ~$90, which is the cost of an easily hackable controller (new, it'd be cheaper if you got a used/broken controller) and a soldering iron.

Momentary

Banned
7 years ago I bough their Street Fighter IV non-Sanwa stick and that shit fell apart on me in 3 days. I still have the thing, but all the internals have been replaced. The only good thing about it was the case.

Pretty sure those aren't sanwa parts though and the button placement up top being so close to the push-buttons is atrocious. I'd roll with the stick for modding purposes if it wasn't for that.

Been thinking about buying one of these to celebrate the PC Fighting game revolution that's about to happen.

M16.png
Brass-Knuckle.png
top-front.jpg
Nice low profile, minimalist design with a carrying handle. Throw a quick release on that bad boy too...

Just drooled on myself.

7 years ago I bough their Street Fighter IV non-Sanwa stick and that shit fell apart on me in 3 days. I still have the thing, but all the internals have been replaced. The only good thing about it was the case.

MadCatz did sticks in 08? Man, time flies

Burning4

Neo Member
I've never owned a fight stick before, but the beta for SFV is making me want to own one. I guess this thing would be aimed at someone like me who is on that entry level. However, I really don't like the look of it. I find the general shape of it to be ugly and unappealing. It only having six buttons is also rather off putting. I don't even know what those other two buttons are for, but the fact that I always see sticks have eight buttons on them makes me assume they are designed that way for a reason.

Momentary

Banned
I've never owned a fight stick before, but the beta for SFV is making me want to own one. I guess this thing would be aimed at someone like me who is on that entry level. However, I really don't like the look of it. I find the general shape of it to be ugly and unappealing. It only having six buttons is also rather off putting. I don't even know what those other two buttons are for, but the fact that I always see sticks have eight buttons on them makes me assume they are designed that way for a reason.

Trust me when I say this... Do not buy MadCatz's low end fight sticks unless you are replacing buttons and the stick.

notworksafe

You can assign them to PPP and KKK. If you don't plan to use those shortcut buttons, you're fine without them. Personally, I keep my right buttons but never actually use them. I'd wait to see what kind of parts are in this stick before considering it though.

So they put a right analog stick on the controllers this time. Either they're for other fighting games....or there's some hidden right analog stick feature in the game!

Yeah, a special right stick feature for all those people who play on a fightstick.

Fighters typically only use six at most, but could always be a non fighter game that is preferred to be played on stick that use them.

Momentary

Banned
You can assign them to PPP and KKK. If you don't plan to use those shortcut buttons, you're fine without them. Personally, I keep my right buttons but never actually use them

I've never used those extra buttons. I think I used to for MKX, but quickly realized I could use 6 buttons to do everything without having to map actions to the other buttons. So yeah. They are basically there just for looks for me.

Arcade Stick seems to be competing agisnt the Hori Mini range:

7qzBPOn.jpg

The gamepad looks sweet though.

If that's what they are trying to compete against then MadCatz needs to redesign their box.

Degen

I couldn't imagine using a controller like that, you'd need rest the right half on a knee or something surely?
Yes. Complex fighting games aren't meant to be played with one thumb in charge of multiple buttons. You typically use the right side of a fightpad just like an arcade stick, which is why most modern fightpads lack a hand grip on the right side. It just gets in the way.

More importantly, most fightpads also have shoulder buttons instead of triggers for that same reason. That's what concerns me the most about this new controller design. For trying to be more than just a fighting game controller, it might actually become a worse fighting game controller. But it looks sharp. We'll see.

smurfx

get some go again
need to see a high res pic of the d-pad before i can judge it properly. i've been waiting for a long time and so far i'm not that impressed. wish they kept the saturn'ish pad design instead of going for ps4 pad design.

Orayn

High res pics will tell us almost nothing about the inner workings of the D-pad. That's far more important than the design of the upper part.

PureYeti

The controller reminds me of the android controller. I will be definitely checking this out in the future. I hope the analog stick won't be in the way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks but no thanks.

Why isn't the controller in the shape of the Saturn/Genesis 6-button pad? At least that would be useful. But I guess they have to throw the touchpad and sticks in. :/

Hrm, the pad doesn't make me very hopeful. Those angles look uncomfortable and the dpad looks odd.

But i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try it out. Their SFxT pad was a godsend for 6 button stuff on PS3.

Edit: The buttons on this look a little less clunky than on the SFxT pad, which would be fantastic if true.

Valnen

If the fight pad is more durable than the official DS4, I may need to get one. The fact I can use it for other games now that it has analog sticks is appealing.

Card Boy

Banned
I won't lie their Street Fighter X Tekken Fightpad was awesome and is comfortable. The D-Pad looks deceptive and works amazingly.

fightpads.jpg

milkham

Been thinking about buying one of these to celebrate the PC Fighting game revolution that's about to happen.

Nice low profile, minimalist design with a carrying handle. Throw a quick release on that bad boy too...

Just drooled on myself.

what is that joystick/case?

That stick looks godawful. Hoping its some sort of budget version and they announce the real deal soon, I'm looking to get one for SFV when that launches. Cant deal with this pad ps4 pad shit.

Aw man, that stick looks awful.
Nowhere near the beauty that was the SF4 TE stick.

It probably doesn't even use real arcade parts, does it?
If it's confirmed to use Sanwa or Seimitsu parts, that'd be pretty surprising.

That stick looks godawful. Hoping its some sort of budget version and they announce the real deal soon, I'm looking to get one for SFV when that launches. Cant deal with this pad ps4 pad shit.
I assume the regular stick will just be the TE2 with new art. I think there was one with SFV art on it floating around.

Seik

Banned
*whispers quietly*

"The buttons on the HRAP4 Kai suck."

I do not agree, and worst case scenario, you can always switch with Sanwa buttons.

Kuro buttons aren't that bad at all, they require just a bit more pressure, but it's practically the same to me. All in all, it's a matter of taste, I'd say.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

For $500? Giantsword's basically unjustifiable.

bonkeng

The stick looks aweful, and it seems too small.

The Pad on the other hand is brilliant. That is exactly how i play fighting games on pad. Left hand holding the controller, right hand palm resting on the pad while using all fingers like playing on sticks.

pelican

I like the pad, but I've already picked up the Hori fighting PS4 pad.

Might still pick up a pad. I can't use a stick due to an arm injury as it aches a bit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
eh, no thanks.

loved my TE for 360, will cop a PS4 TE2 whenever that drops.

maybe i'll get a pad for the wifey.

gelf

I notice the pad still has both bumpers and triggers as well as the extra face buttons. Now if you could connect this to a PC and reassign those buttons independently in other games that would be fantastic. For example I'd be tempted to change face R1 and R2 to replace analog stick "L3" and R3" button functions in some games.

shaowebb

M16.png

Just drooled on myself.
What kind of stick is that? You failed to mention it with the pic... ;_;

I wish they would have stuck with this design, but made the build quality better. Ohh well, I may pick one up and try it out.

6wWxgEi.jpg

I have a SFxT one I use for PC. I am surprised how long it has lasted me and how much it works but yeah that is literally all they needed to do.

Oh well I might still try this new one out anyway.

I have one of those. That image is the actual size of the controller.

Not really but it's pretty dang close.

I got one too. Once you get passed the Fisher Price buttons and small gate on the stick it's nice. I just wish I could weigh the damn thing down so I could put it in my lap.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really hesitant about that controller. All the corners and edges look way too angular, I can practically feel it digging into my palms already.

Did all the Mad Catz designers lose their french curves or something?

Top Bottom