• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain screens [1080p]

Ishida

Banned
Beyond is a great looking game for sure considering the hardware but it isn't an open world game and it sure ain't running anywhere close 60 fps. Also black bars.

Agree with the rest except the bolded. The black bars are intentional and not for performance issues. There's a PS3 hack that allows for removal of the black bars, and performance is the same.

I'm not saying that's a bad game, i don't even care that much actually, it's just technically not impressive and Kojima keeps marketing that it is.

To be fair, he stated after last year's E3 that this game won't look as pretty as some of the other next-gen games, because it was made for current-generation consoles.

Salex_

I'm looking at these pictures from my laptop, but these look great. A large open world game like this running at 1080P/60 FPS makes me excited by how Tekken and the other 3D fighters will look like.

Yep. In Ground Zeroes the shadows, overall textures (really terrible), explosions (worse than CoD, really) and pop-ins are REALLY bad. For me, a Next-gen game must be better looking than any great looking Last-gen game. Ground Zeroes on PS4 is not better looking than, for exemple, Uncharted 3 (keeping the resolution and anti-aliasing aside).

I'm not saying that's a bad game, i don't even care that much actually, it's just technically not impressive and Kojima keeps marketing that it is.

Lighting in Fox Engine looks fantastic, the animation feels fluid and it's 60fps on next gen. Uncharted 3 is definitely one of the best looking third person games on last gen though!

boinx

Agree with the rest except the bolded. The black bars are intentional and not for performance issues. There's a PS3 hack that allows for removal of the black bars, and performance is the same.

Really? I remember people saying that at some spots that without the black bars the framerate suffered at some scenes? Well, if I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed.

gorfyako

Banned
Is this game coming to PC?

Kojima has hinted at it, and I'm pretty sure he's said either that he'd like to see a PC release or that one could possibly come in the future (correct me if I'm wrong), but nothing concrete as of this moment. If a pre-order page went up on Steam during E3, I'd put money down right away and start looking into upgrading my PC.

AHA-Lambda

beyond-two-souls-screenshot-ME3050179497_2.jpg

You said?

You're comparing it to a game with extremely limited interactivity?

and was also complete arse?

gogogow

Yep. In Ground Zeroes the shadows, overall textures (really terrible), explosions (worse than CoD, really) and pop-ins are REALLY bad. For me, a Next-gen game must be better looking than any great looking Last-gen game. Ground Zeroes on PS4 is not better looking than, for exemple, Uncharted 3 (keeping the resolution and anti-aliasing aside).

I agree MGSV:TPP could look better for current gen consoles, but come on, you're comparing a on rails shooter with a open world game. MGSV is also 1080p/60fps.

Spaghetti

mgsv graphically has a lot going for it in terms of lighting. i don't think i've seen a game with as much dynamic lighting as ground zeroes for years.

AmyS

mgsvtpp_e3_02_l.jpg

'Hey man, guess what!"

"What ????"

[ ! ]

Despite all the pain,
"GREATNESS FUCKING AWAITS !!!!"

mrqs

I agree MGSV:TPP could look better for current gen consoles, but come on, you're comparing a on rails shooter with a open world game. MGSV is also 1080p/60fps.

I agree that it's not a fair comparison, and again: I don't think that MGSV is ugly in any way, i love the art style and the delicious gameplay, i just don't find the game's engine impressive.

gogogow

I agree that it's not a fair comparison, and again: I don't think that MGSV is ugly in any way, i love the art style and the delicious gameplay, i just don't find the game's engine impressive.

It's unfortunate KP aren't using better, higher polygon models for the PS4/XO versions. Sure could use some tesselation, but we won't know how (un)impressive the engine is until they make a non-crossgen game. If MGSV:TPP is a 2015 game, we won't see MGS6 until 2018-2019...

mattp

The dithering on the hair is terrible =(

was just going to point this out
why are they still using dithering for transparencies on the facial hair?
i understand doing that for ps3/360 but they should have real alpha transparencies on ps4/xbone

CGwizz

compared to other games looks bad :S

but it still is a day one buy to me

kojima hyped too much this engine but it does not look that great i hope its 60 fps on ps4.

TheBoss1

I don't understand all the negativity towards the graphics. This is 1080P, 60 FPS, AND an open world game. Considering all this, GZ/TPP still looks very gorgeous.

Is GTAV a better looking game than this, even with the slide-show FPS?

Raynes

At this point I don't care what the graphics look like (look great to me anyway), I just want to play the game and find out the damn story!

HeelPower

I don't understand all the negativity towards the graphics. This is 1080P, 60 FPS, AND an open world game. Considering all this, GZ/TPP still looks very gorgeous.

Is GTAV a better looking game than this, even with the slide-show FPS?

Supposedly the game is massive.If it runs as smoothly as GZ it would be jaw dropping.

Anyway, GZ looked fantastic and Kojima is currently leading Japanese games as far as I am concerned.

There is this and Witcher 3.Best games at E3.

2 goals Kojima:

- Increase character Polycount
- Eliminate the disgusting dithering completely.

You wanted feedback? There it is.

Everything else is stellar given the scale of this game. You already added better motion blur (if those are ps4 shots) which was subtle and almost completely missing in the ps4 version.

so what are the odds on these being caps from the trailer or just being unrelated screens?

"The three images incorporated into this article and the gallery that follows are a world first preview of what Konami will demonstrate at E3 2014." Probably from the trailer, itself! We're likely to get a batch of screens of the trailer (26 official screens from E3 2013's trailer), and quite a few from the press covering the demo. ;-)

Palpable

I think the demo being behind closed doors is so stupid. Generate hype for gameplay through word of mouth? That is stupid. People will get a lot more excited for what they can see, not just hear about.

Fredrik

Looks amazing! Open-world, 1080p and 60fps would be mind-blowing, but I fear they'll downgrade it to 30fps because of the complaints seen in this thread.

I think the demo being behind closed doors is so stupid. Generate hype for gameplay through word of mouth? That is stupid. People will get a lot more excited for what they can see, not just hear about.

They'll give us something, man. I am positive that we will see at least a tiny bit of the demo from the IGN stream on Thursday!

MrMatt555

Gah! I can't wait!
Also: GAF is turning these amazing photos into nitpicks about angular fingers...
GAF don't kill my vibe!

Shredderi

Agreed. Show, don't tell. I know we'll be getting a trailer thats propably mostly cuts of cinematics and few 2s gameplay snippets here and there. I know I sound negative but I am excited for this game which is exactly why I am so frustrated about behind closed doors demos.

As far as the graphics goes, it doesn't really impress me after seeing some other games but aside from the dithering I consider it a good looking game, especially if it's 1080/60fps. I remember back when mgs2 released and the thing I was most impressed about was how freaking smooth it felt.

The crazy thing is they already tried this with Ground Zeroes, twice! And it had... mixed results PR wise.

RSB

Banned
1080p 60fps and open world with those graphics? Hell yeah. The game looks great.

Damn, this made me remember I still haven't played Ground Zeroes...

vpance

I think it took a lot of effort for KP to finally figure out how to do open world and have decent graphics. It's basically the game Kojima wanted to create in MGS4 but couldn't. Maybe with TPP2 he'll drop it to 30 and give us the eye melting graphics we usually associate with MGS.

Top Bottom