• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Other M Gameplay Trailer

Sadist

Old?

8 July 2010 – Prepare yourself for a Metroid adventure like no other. Stunning action and a moving personal story come together in an unforgettable way in METROID: Other M, launching across Europe for Wii on 3 September 2010.

One of the first female videogame heroines in history, Samus Aran takes centre stage once more in this unprecedented collaboration, blending the slick, action-packed production of the Team Ninja development team with the game design talents of the original Metroid’s creators.

Playing as Samus, players will seamlessly switch between third-person and first-person gameplay for the first time in a Metroid game. Explore and fight in third-person by holding the Wii Remote sideways, and - at any time you choose - switch immediately to a first-person view through Samus’ eyes by simply pointing the Wii Remote at the screen.

This opens up all sorts of new possibilities for exploration and combat. Look through the eyes of Samus to search a room carefully for hidden objects, access vital information and lock on to enemies for precision attacks. Or remain in third-person view to take on swarms of enemies with Samus’ Beam weapon, aided by an auto-aim feature that makes gameplay in this perspective fast, furious – and utterly gripping!

In another series’ first, Samus is getting more physical in METROID: Other M, with a range of melee attacks up the sleeves of her Power Suit. Jump on enemies to perform the powerful Overblast attack, use the 1 Button with precise timing to Counter-attack and finish off wounded enemies with a Lethal Strike. Other new moves include dodging enemy attacks with a well-timed Sensemove and performing a health-restoring Concentration move by holding the Wii Remote vertically with the A Button pressed. Then there’s the new weapon, the Diffusion Beam, which will scatter Charge Beams after impact and hit additional enemies.
Amidst all the new features, however, the development team have not forgotten what makes Metroid games so immersive and memorable: atmosphere, exploration and a truly great story. The game takes place on a single, giant Galactic Federation vessel – but this contains a huge variety of locations, each with different environments, unique flora, fauna and enemies.

The Biosphere, for example, is a gigantic greenhouse containing a jungle complete with waterfall, rainfall and countless tropical – and aggressive – creatures and plants. The Cryosphere, by contrast, is a cold, snowy environment where the temperature is so low that entrances are often blocked by ice. Or picture the Pyrosphere, an area filled with volcanoes and magma. Some areas here have such high temperatures that Samus’ health decreases if not equipped with the heat-resistant Varia Suit.

Exploring these hostile environments, you’ll find yourself drawn into a deeply personal story that finally tells Samus’ own tale, revealing her failings, her flaws and ultimately her motivation for being a Bounty Hunter.

The story begins immediately following the events of Super Metroid, when a baby Metroid gave its life to protect Samus. With voice acting in English language and more than one hour of beautifully rendered cut-scenes in total throughout the game, METROID: Other M is not simply fun to play but also exciting to watch. The seamless switch from cut-scenes to gameplay and the smooth transition between third-person and first-person perspectives make this the most cinematic experience you’ll have had in a Metroid game.

This is a dramatic new direction for a legendary franchise and a bold new blend of cinematics, storytelling and stylish, no-holds-barred action. Charge up your Beam, arm your Bombs and get ready to scan your environment for a copy of METROID: Other M when it launches across Europe for Wii on 3 September 2010.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...ke_never_before_in_metroid_other_m_18505.html

mantidor

yep, old.

The box art is ok but I would like it more if the visor was a bit more opaque, or had something similar to the effect on the rest of the boxart. As it is it looks too much like a photoshop.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The JP boxart is terrible. I normally like the more minimalist covers they have but this one is awful, assuming that's a standard cover. The proportions of her head to the helmet are totally wrong. If it's a sleeve over something else it might look better, but the colours are hideous. It's almost as bad as this. I'll take the US one, even if it is a bit of a mess.

MNC

I'd give her visor the same bulletpoint treatment as the rest. Maybe make her face drawn, like a manga instead of a render.

heringer

Some Comic-Con videos. Same demo, but here it is anyway:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30538

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30540

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30541

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30542

Samus sounds very different from what I always imagined. I mean, I always pictured her as a confident, tough, maybe blunt and insensitive woman.

On Other M she sounds like a insecure, poorly articulated girl. It's not necessarily bad, since now I'm kinda curious to get to know this Samus (as long as the dialogue is tastefully done). I like to think that she's not like what I used to imagine at all, and it makes sense that she feels shy around people. I honestly don't think the voice acting is near as bad as some people were making out to be.

Now if only someone would put some sense in Sakamoto's head so we can get the option to use nunchuk...

CoolS

Metroid Killer said:
That is a nice boxart, but the American boxart is pretty nice as well actually.

Hopefully the European boxart will be something even better :p

The EU boxart is the same as the US one.

sfried

Schattenjagger said:
Still excited but does it bother anyone that the game takes place on a vessel and not a planet ?
So did Prime. Then it switched into a planet.

Something tells me the vessel is much bigger and actually simulated the different environments.

gogojira

Surprisingly decent voice acting, and I was among the haters at first. I'd agree that it's not nearly as strong and stern as I'd imagined, but it's not bad which is more than I can say for most games. Aside from Samus, the other voices were pretty good, too.

heringer said:
Some Comic-Con videos. Same demo, but here it is anyway:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30538

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30540

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30541

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30542

Samus sounds very different from what I always imagined. I mean, I always pictured her as a confident, tough, maybe blunt and insensitive woman.

On Other M she sounds like a insecure, poorly articulated girl. It's not necessarily bad, since now I'm kinda curious to get to know this Samus (as long as the dialogue is tastefully done). I like to think that she's not like what I used to imagine at all, and it makes sense that she feels shy around people. I honestly don't think the voice acting is near as bad as some people were making out to be.

Now if only someone would put some sense in Sakamoto's head so we can get the option to use nunchuk...

As far as the voice goes, I think it fits Samus pretty well.
I mean, she may act tough, especially around other people.
But she's had a tragic life and is alone for the majority of her time.
She's got to be pretty messed up, psychologically.
I honestly wouldn't doubt that she has multiple personas, even.

Instro

Schattenjagger said:
Still excited but does it bother anyone that the game takes place on a vessel and not a planet ?

Didnt bother me in Fusion. Has it been confirmed that the whole game takes place on the ship?

I like Samus's VA, it fits nicely with her personality from Fusion.

Dr.Hadji

gogojira said:
Surprisingly decent voice acting, and I was among the haters at first. I'd agree that it's not nearly as strong and stern as I'd imagined, but it's not bad which is more than I can say for most games. Aside from Samus, the other voices were pretty good, too.

I thought so too but when the voice actually hit my ears I didn't actually imagine her voice being too different then what I heard. And that is probably due to the fact that a Nintendo has used a similar sounding voice for the intro line in Super Metroid and for Zamus for Brawl taunts and victory quips. But ya, that VO wasn't too shabby.

Oh and the Samus inner dialogue responding to real time events was a nice way of showing a different type of that "Metroid isolation".

balladofwindfishes said:
All of those are green except the Fusion one, because that's a totally different suit...

A better one of the Zero Mission box:

15p664l.jpg

Samus' gun is green, as is the beam coming from it. Her visor is not green - it's a blueish sort of turquoise.

gogojira

balladofwindfishes said:
All of those are green except the Fusion one, because that's a totally different suit...

Return of Samus is blue, Fusion is obviously blue, the other two look blue to me. Whatever, that's an old post completely irrelevant to today's updates so I'm going to refrain from arguing about box art visors.

Edit: Thanks Sega1991, the Zero Mission visor looks pretty damn blue to me.

Boney

Banned
Seems to me it's gonna get panned in reviews because "aiming and fighting feels loppy, especially in tight spaces" because they continue running in circles instead of stopping and shooting.

upandaway

Boney said:
Seems to me it's gonna get panned in reviews because "aiming and fighting will feels loppy, especially in tight spaces" because they continue running in circles instead of stopping and shooting.
So you're not gonna dodge anything.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Boney said:
Seems to me it's gonna get panned in reviews because "aiming and fighting will feels loppy, especially in tight spaces" because they continue running in circles instead of stopping and shooting.
Exactly my thoughts, a majority of the videos have been people running around trying to aim at the enemies by running in their direction :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
TunaLover said:
You run by default?
There's anyway to slow down the speed?
YEs and no, which is why a lot of people would have preferred nunchuck controls, myself included.

Rich!

Game has unfortunately gone right down to a rental for me.

I cancelled my pre-order, so yeah. I just can't stand the direction they've taken this in. I love Super Metroid, Fusion, Metroid 2, Zero Mission and the Prime games, but I really don't think Other M fits in with them.

I could be wrong, but meh. I doubt it, somehow.

Boney

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Samus, like Mario always moves with with run button held down for me.
Except this is only the case with Super Metroid?

Am I the only one who thinks this looks really really good?
It gives a different impression than Super, but it still feels very atmospheric, fast and great looking.

I don't know maybe I should lay off the crazy pills.

jarosh said:
crinnnnnnnnnnnnnge

samus' voice... that dialogue... the writing...

:'( :'(

but it has Metroid in it. Metroid. It references classic nintendo mascots and characters; therefore, it is good!

Seriously, the more they show the worse it gets. I guess you can say "but it's not THAT bad..." whatever that means. I love how combat looks to be just run in circles firing your weapon and hoping the auto-aim does the rest for ya. And I always thought Samus was angsty. When I played the original metroids, I could always get that vibe. You can tell they're taking the clay of past metroids and really molding it into a masterpiece of modern storytelling. Gripping.

For the most part I'm just avoiding the whole story aspect for this game but I can't say I'm feeling the gameplay anymore.

I wanna try it out still but the auto aim has been bugging me. The way it looked like the guy playing just fired in every direction, killing every single enemy without really trying, is a huge turn off.

Boney

Banned
Seems to me it's gonna get panned in reviews because "aiming and fighting feels loppy, especially in tight spaces" because they continue running in circles instead of stopping and shooting.

Mr. B Natural said:
I love how combat looks to be just run in circles firing your weapon and hoping the auto-aim does the rest for ya.

Hmmm

I think it looks good, I only wish they would have kept it strictly 2d old school Metroid gameplay with no first person or 3d movement. They could have used the pointer to assist with aiming.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Boney said:
Except this is only the case with Super Metroid?

Am I the only one who thinks this looks really really good?
It gives a different impression than Super, but it still feels very atmospheric, fast and great looking.

I don't know maybe I should lay off the crazy pills.
No you're not, I'm still loving the look of it.

Top Bottom