• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Other M Gameplay Trailer

Boney

Banned
mantidor said:
If you speed run. Normal first runs for non-metroid experts are 5-6 hours long.
If you speed run they're more like 1:30 and even less if you're an expert. 2d Metroids are really short unless you want to %100 them and don't know where to find them.

heringer

MechaX said:
This is pretty much just a typical Nintendo mascot conundrum. One half of the camp wants these characters (Samus and Link especially) to move beyond "archaic" blank-slate-esque characterizations to actual characters and basic story to a more cutscene-inclusive style, usually with an emphasis on voice acting. The other camp finds such attempts to characterize the mascot characters as insults and wants them to retain their non-involvement in regards to talking, acting, etc, etc.

Personally, after 20 years of "Are you a bad enough female bounty hunter to chase the Space Dragon and rescue/investigate this thing?", I'm glad they're at least attempting something a little different by giving Samus an actual personality (kind of, even though her detached demeanor is a personality trait for her)
I agree, but I can't shake the feeling that a cinematic, story heavy game made by Nintendo and Team Ninja makes me nervous.

Hiltz

I'm in the camp that is pleased by the new and refreshing direction that Metroid: Other M is going in. That's in terms of offering a cinematic, story-driven title with voice acting that attempts to flesh out more of the main character as well as combining Super Metroid and Metroid Prime gameplay with new mechanics like melee combat. I agree that it is a surprising departure from the tradition of the franchise but who knows, it may turn out to be fun and fit in well in the context of the gameplay.

If Team Ninja were making the game by itself, then I'd see a cause for concern. However, I have faith in Nintendo in how its choosing to handle the project.

sfried

It's nice to know the game will be orchestrated.

Hiltz said:
I'm in the camp that is pleased by the new and refreshing direction that Metroid: Other M is going in. That's in terms of offering a cinematic, story-driven title with voice acting that attempts to flesh out more of the main character as well as combining Super Metroid and Metroid Prime gameplay with new mechanics like melee combat. I agree that it is a surprising departure from the tradition of the franchise but who knows, it may turn out to be fun and fit in well in the context of the gameplay.
If you ask me, it's a surprising departure from Nintendo's tradition of big budget projects. I though having orchestrated music in Super Mario Galaxy was as high as they were going, but it seems if they're willing to do that, voice acting, and some nice FMVs, they could compete with most other "dudebro" AAA titles out there.

That said, I'm in the camp that still doesn't understand the hate surrounding Fusion. It was a solid title, and it was still challenging. I don't mind the lack of sequence break abilities in certain areas.

robor said:
So much controversy behind this game, at times it grates me but perhaps this is a good sign. I mean I don't think I've seen this much disdain for the series since the first Prime, maybe that's why the franchise is so unique.
The best thing a developer could do is to not listen to the naysaying fans and just do what they gotta do.

Whoompthereitis said:
I suck at 2D Metroid games. I always get stuck/lost. Dunno why.

I bought Super Metroid on VC and couldn't get through it.

Use your morph ball bombs everywhere. You probably just need to backtrack a bit until you find a wall or whatever that you now have the weapon to break through.

Gino

Whoompthereitis said:
I suck at 2D Metroid games. I always get stuck/lost. Dunno why.

I bought Super Metroid on VC and couldn't get through it.

If you get stuck just use a map to find the next item and then go back to playing without the map.

robor

Mafro said:
It's been dated for September 3rd in Europe, same week as the US http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/metroid-other-m-dated

I hope someone in the UK does that art portfolio as a preorder bonus. The last time I imported from GameStop I was hit with custom fees.

OMFFFFFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOFJHIFHFIHFOIDFGHIGOHGHOGHOI YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Oh that is music, sweet sensual beautiful music to my fragile timid little ears.

plank

Scalemail Ted said:
Awesome news from the director... Quick question... How was the e3 build? Was it good?

Most of the impressions were positive. However not all like how it played including some in this thread who where at the event. I think they didn't have enough time to get into the controls.

Great that its coming in early September !!! :)

PR:
SEE SAMUS ARAN COME TO LIFE LIKE NEVER BEFORE IN Metroid: Other M

Deep space exploration, dramatic cinematics and deadly new moves for Samus in all-new adventure on Wii

8th July 2010 – Prepare yourself for a Metroid adventure like no other. Stunning action and a moving personal story come together in an unforgettable way in Metroid: Other M, launching across Europe for Wii on 3rd September 2010.

One of the first female videogame heroines in history, Samus Aran takes centre stage once more in this unprecedented collaboration, blending the slick, action-packed production of the Team Ninja development team with the game design talents of the original Metroid’s creators.

Playing as Samus, players will seamlessly switch between third-person and first-person gameplay for the first time in a Metroid game. Explore and fight in third-person by holding the Wii Remote sideways, and – at any time you choose – switch immediately to a first-person view through Samus’ eyes by simply pointing the Wii Remote at the screen.

This opens up all sorts of new possibilities for exploration and combat. Look through the eyes of Samus to search a room carefully for hidden objects, access vital information and lock on to enemies for precision attacks. Or remain in third-person view to take on swarms of enemies with Samus’ Beam weapon, aided by an auto-aim feature that makes gameplay in this perspective fast, furious – and utterly gripping!

In another series’ first, Samus is getting more physical in Metroid: Other M, with a range of melee attacks up the sleeves of her Power Suit. Jump on enemies to perform the powerful Overblast attack, use the 1 Button with precise timing to Counter-attack and finish off wounded enemies with a Lethal Strike. Other new moves include dodging enemy attacks with a well-timed Sensemove and performing a health-restoring Concentration move by holding the Wii Remote vertically and the A Button pressed. Then there’s the new weapon, the Diffusion Beam, which will scatter Charge Beams after impact and hit additional enemies.

Amidst all the new features, however, the development team have not forgotten what makes Metroid games so immersive and memorable: atmosphere, exploration and a truly great story. The game takes place on a single, giant Galactic Federation vessel – but this contains a huge variety of locations, each with different environments, unique flora, fauna and enemies.

The Biosphere, for example, is a gigantic greenhouse containing a jungle complete with waterfall, rainfall and countless tropical – and aggressive – creatures and plants. The Cryosphere, by contrast, is a cold, snowy environment where the temperature is so low that entrances are often blocked by ice. Or picture the Pyrosphere, an area filled with volcanoes and magma. Some areas here have such high temperatures that Samus’s health decreases if not equipped with the heat-resistent Varia Suit.

Exploring these hostile environments, you’ll find yourself drawn into a deeply personal story that finally tells Samus’ own tale, revealing her failings, her flaws and ultimately her motivation for being a Bounty Hunter.

The story begins immediately following the events of Super Metroid, when a baby Metroid gave its life to protect Samus. With voice acting in English language and more than one hour of beautifully rendered cut-scenes in total throughout the game, Metroid: Other M is not simply fun to play but also exciting to watch. The seamless switch from cut-scenes to gameplay and the smooth transition between third-person and first-person perspectives make this the most cinematic experience you’ll have had in a Metroid game.

This is a dramatic new direction for a legendary franchise and a bold new blend of cinematics, storytelling and stylish, no-holds-barred action. Charge up your Beam, arm your Bombs and get ready to scan your environment for a copy of Metroid: Other M when it launches across Europe for Wii on 3rd September 2010.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So if I add 12 months I get the Australian date, yeah?

Myriadis

The Dutch Slayer's Quote said:
The game takes place on a single, giant Galactic Federation vessel – but this contains a huge variety of locations, each with different environments, unique flora, fauna and enemies.

Hey,this reminds me of something.

B002C1ARJY.01._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg

If that's final... interesting!

[Nintex]

WHAT THE SHIT HOLY FUCK

Boxart of the generation right there

I seriously hope that us Europeans won't get the sucky US boxart.

I bet it's in a sleeve ala Trilogy or a cardboard one like Phantom Brave and Disney's earlier Wii games.

Wonder if so, the art's only on that... and the actual box is close or the same as the NA one?

Just a wild guess.

Luigiv

I'm going to have to play the devils advocate and respond to the boxart with a big, fat meh.

It's not horrible by any means, but it's kind of cheesy and overall not that exciting. It doesn't really stir up any kind of emotion within me.

edit: fix in bold.

gogojira

Wow, that's the box art I want. That looks fucking gorgeous.

That European press release reveals some interesting information. Other M clearly takes place solely on the one space station, but it's very Metroid Fusion in that it'll offer wildly different environments -- not surprising given what we know about the game.

It's funny how Nintendo seems so eager to point out how despite all the new elements to the series, Other M retains what makes a Metroid game. It seems like they heard the cries of people not seeing enough exploration in early Other M footage.

I'm crossing my fingers it truly is filled with exploration.

In a weird way, I'm eager to see where Sakamoto goes next with the series. Beyond Other M, I can't imagine another in between title. I think it's time we go beyond Fusion.

[Nintex]

gogojira said:
In a weird way, I'm eager to see where Sakamoto goes next with the series. Beyond Other M, I can't imagine another in between title. I think it's time we go beyond Fusion.
A 2D Metroid seems like a good fit for 3DS

VerTiGo

Banned
How can you be worried about Other M. It's the real deal. I adored the Metroid Prime games but what has been seen, heard and showed from Other M feels like that 3rd person Metroid we've all dreamed about during the N64 days. I trust Sakamoto unline no other game director. Metroid has a flawless track record (aside from Hunters and Pinball). I'm so eager for its release.

KevinCow

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
I bet it's in a sleeve ala Trilogy or a cardboard one like Phantom Brave and Disney's earlier Wii games.

Wonder if so, the art's only on that... and the actual box is close or the same as the NA one?

Just a wild guess.

I bet you're right. The visor is probably a clear green bit, and the actual box art has her face on it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hero of Legend said:
http://z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B002C1ARJY.01._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg[IMG]

If that's final... interesting![/QUOTE]
wowza bowser

I was hoping for, but I never honestly expected, a September 3rd date for Europe! Awesome news, and I really can't wait for this.

The Japanese boxart is very interesting and it would be cool if it was actually a sleeve with Zero Suit underneath. I hope Europe gets a version of that one as I really like it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks exactly like a sleeve to me. The green part will be see through.

robor

gogojira said:

Before they do that I would love to see them remake Metroid II like they did with the original and Zero Mission.

Tenbatsu

Cool boxart! I bet the suit is a sleeve for the DVD case as Samus's hair is not tie up there. From screens/videos shown, she tied up her hair when she's wearing the suit.

upandaway

Argh.. that soft green is such wasted potential. Harsh blue would be perfect there.
If I had photoshop I could demonstrate what I have in mind..

But it's good. I doubt it's real btw.

Top Bottom