• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Other M Gameplay Trailer

lordoftherink said:
Enemies would be incapacitated, vainly attempting to move or fly, ripping off stickers only to discover the residue left is impossible to remove or defeat. It would be devastatingly glorious.

Except for the bosses, of course.
Who always have ample Goo Gone.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope those screenshots aren't going the game justice. :(

I'm so down on this game, it's absurd.

You sure you should be posting it?

Rez said:
I really hope those screenshots aren't going the game justice. :(

I'm so down on this game, it's absurd.
Those are pics taken from last month Nintendo Power, not direct-feed.

Duress

That pre-order bonus is kind of disappointing, considering all the hype behind it. I was expecting something like a Metroid keychain. I'll wait to see what else is available.

EmCeeGramr said:
Gamestop pre-order bonus:

'

a14kgl.jpg

Please don't be gamestop exclusive.

Mudkips

Banned
So I'm a consumer whore and I want those shitty little art prints so I can stick them in a closet and never do anything with them.

Assuming it's not exclusive to shitstop, does anyone know if I can apply my $20 Amazon credit (from Galaxy 2) to M:OM?

Thank you for purchasing Super Mario Galaxy 2 from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned $20 toward the purchase of any video game product shipped and sold by Amazon.com until 7/31/2010.

Does the 7/31/2010 date apply to the date I make my purchase, or to the date they charge my card (when they ship it)?

Mudkips said:
Does the 7/31/2010 date apply to the date I make my purchase, or to the date they charge my card (when they ship it)?
It's the date you made the purchase. I did something similar when I preordered Super SFIV 3 to 4 months before with a $20 Amazon credit and it was all good.

gogojira

So is this the first indication that Other M is rated T? The GameStop description and art folio both have a T slapped on them, but the temporary box art still says RP.

Not that it matters much, I think we've all been knowing with that ESRB was going to give it.

mantidor

upandaway said:
Yeah it was okay. It feels like they're making Other M to be the "next true Metroid" as if Fusion and Prime didn't exist.

Its odd they are trying to ignore fusion, I always saw it as more official since it starts with "Metroid IV" as a title. Putting the game between Super and Fusion makes it look like they didn't like Fusion story that much, or they would be making other M as "Metroid V". A game that picks up where Fusion left would have been great, Samus as a renegade with Space Pirates and the Federation after her.

OMG Aero

mantidor said:
Its odd they are trying to ignore fusion, I always saw it as more official since it starts with "Metroid IV" as a title. Putting the game between Super and Fusion makes it look like they didn't like Fusion story that much, or they would be making other M as "Metroid V". A game that picks up where Fusion left would have been great, Samus as a renegade with Space Pirates and the Federation after her.
To me it feels like Metroid Fusion was an attempt to end the series. The kill off every Metroid and make Samus an enemy of the human race. I'm not sure Nintendo knows how to follow it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't have any interest in this game.

Pre-order confirmed! I'll return the game as soon as I get my cards. It will be free swag

OMG Aero said:
To me it feels like Metroid Fusion was an attempt to end the series. The kill off every Metroid and make Samus an enemy of the human race. I'm not sure Nintendo knows how to follow it.
I figure Sakamoto wants to do a game like Other M to develop Samus and her world more before a sequel to Fusion. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. *crosses fingers*

mantidor

AceBandage said:
Of course they're ignoring Fusion. It happens after Other M.

What I mean is that I guess this is the conversation that happened:

- "Lets make a new 2D Metroid game for the wii!"

- "Yay! Metroid V?"

- "no, not really, I don't like Fusion's ending that much, I want to retake Super's story and part from there, again."

OMG Aero said:

Where do you people get this shit from. No where in the ending is this, or being hunted by the federation stated or even hinted at.

Shin Johnpv said:
Where do you people get this shit from. No where in the ending is this, or being hunted by the federation stated or even hinted at.
Because she blew up like TWO Federation military projects and super-expensive space station after being ordered to stop, she said there would be military tribunals, and her only hope is that SOMEONE will listen to her side of the story (since her only ally at this point is a talking computer).

also the idea of samus sitting still in a military court room doesn't sound right to people so they assume that she'll just run away

maharg

idspispopd
OMG Aero said:

Because they never killed off all the metroids before.

OMG Aero

maharg said:
Because they never killed off all the metroids before.
Well Super Metroid was the only game to end with there being no Metroids, and in Metroid Fusion you destroy the GF's secret Metroid breeding program so this time it seems pretty final to me.

OMG Aero said:
Well Super Metroid was the only game to end with there being no Metroids, and in Metroid Fusion you destroy the GF's secret Metroid breeding program so this time it seems pretty final to me.

Uhm, I'm not 100% sure but didn't Samus get Metroid DNA from the GF to counter the effects X had on her body? I don't think they'd be stupid to keep everything in one place.

Even if the last Metroid in the galaxy was destroyed and all traces of Metroid DNA were scrubbed clean from existence, it's a pretty big universe out there. No way you'll ever get rid of all of 'em...not as long as people buy the games, anyway.

maharg

idspispopd
OMG Aero said:

In 1994 Super Metroid's ending seemed pretty final.

Also, I'd argue that Metroid's ending seemed pretty final too. There was no indication that the Metroids came from somewhere else.

Point is, there are always ways to get around these 'final' endings. All it takes is there having been another research station, the Chozo or the Pirates having taken the metroids to a planet other than Zebes, or hell an evolved space metroid that left SR388. It doesn't take a genius, and sooner or later they'll run out of gaps in which to reasonably put another dumb interquel.

EmCeeGramr said:
Because she blew up like TWO Federation military projects and super-expensive space station after being ordered to stop, she said there would be military tribunals, and her only hope is that SOMEONE will listen to her side of the story (since her only ally at this point is a talking computer).

also the idea of samus sitting still in a military court room doesn't sound right to people so they assume that she'll just run away

In the military shit happens. They say she'll have to face a tribunal and shit. I don't think Samus is going to run from that and become a fugitive from the law, considering how much shit she does for the GF, and how much she's helped them before. I tend to believe when you stop how many Space Pirate attempts are taking over shit, you get a little bit of cred in your corner.

ninj4junpei said:
I think you need to rewatch Fusion's ending. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ErIS8cDIA#t=5m00s

I've watched it a bunch of times. They talk about trials and tribunals having to be done, and that makes sense. An entire space station was just blown up. An investigation will be done. That doesn't "make Samus an enemy of the human race".

This is a prime example of why so many people get disappointed with shit. People over analyze every little word. Instead of taking stuff for face value. When an actual sequel to Fusion comes out I will be very not surprised when she's not be chased by both the Space Pirates and the GF.

Maybe its just me but I didn't walk away from Fusion's ending going OMG now Samus is the enemy of everyone she has to flee and run. I walked away from it going well a bunch of hardcore shit just went done, and she's going to have to face a trial, but she did what was needed to be done.

MechaX

Shin Johnpv said:
In the military shit happens. They say she'll have to face a tribunal and shit. I don't think Samus is going to run from that and become a fugitive from the law, considering how much shit she does for the GF, and how much she's helped them before. I tend to believe when you stop how many Space Pirate attempts are taking over shit, you get a little bit of cred in your corner.

We're talking about a military that thought trying to control the SA-X (all 9 of them) and the X-Parasite was a good idea. It doesn't matter how much shit she did for the military, how many space pirate plans she thwarted, or even the fact that she was the biggest hero in space: Samus essentially committed treason aganist the Galactic Federation by deliberately disobeying an order from top command and crashing a multi-billion dollar space station filled with advanced GFed research and weapon technology into SR-388. Yeah, she'll probably face a trial, but that incident proved that Samus can, and will go rogue even aganist the Galactic Federation and I doubt if they're going to just sweep all of this shit under the rug with a simple trial.

And even then, what if the Galactic Federation tells her to turn over her Chozo Suit to make sure she doesn't turn on them the next opportunity? I doubt she would willingly go along with something like that anyway. And if she doesn't... well, that's where the entire "hunted by the Federation" route comes back into play.

This has a real shot at being my personal game of the year considering that most games I've thought were going to be my GOTY fell completely flat in more than one way. Right now it may be between this and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and Zelda if it does indeed come out this year :)lol )

Top Bottom