• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Other M Gameplay Trailer

OMG Aero

maharg said:
In 1994 Super Metroid's ending seemed pretty final.

Also, I'd argue that Metroid's ending seemed pretty final too. There was no indication that the Metroids came from somewhere else.

Point is, there are always ways to get around these 'final' endings. All it takes is there having been another research station, the Chozo or the Pirates having taken the metroids to a planet other than Zebes, or hell an evolved space metroid that left SR388. It doesn't take a genius, and sooner or later they'll run out of gaps in which to reasonably put another dumb interquel.
t5lll2.png

But yeah, I agree. They could easily get past it by just saying the Space Pirates had some Metroids hidden away that they can clone.

Hell, there were Metroids on Phaaze somehow.

Teknoman

I thought the cover of the June issue had Sonic on the front?

EDIT: Nevermind, that was July. Guess I forgot to renew my subscription.

EmCeeGramr said:
Also, the Japanese site has updated: http://metroid.jp/index.html

Much of it's "MORE COMING SOON" but there's new art, screenshots, and music.

Do you know what I hate about the website?
You hear the introduction of the Theme of Samus (theme of super metroid), and it goes silence, then it seems that its going to start the epic part of the song, and in reality it just loop again the introduction...
FUCK YOU WEBPAGE! I want my complete Theme of Samus (theme of Super Metroid), dammit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAQfpbsymU

The video snippet in the controls section looks awesome. Let's hope the game retains the Metroid level design philosophy. I'm definitely interested.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Do you know what I hate about the website?
Heh that was my thoughts the first time I visited the site with the music: YES! Theme of Samus! this is good this is good *fades*....And here it com*loops* NOoooooooo!!

sfried

MechaX said:
And even then, what if the Galactic Federation tells her to turn over her Chozo Suit to make sure she doesn't turn on them the next opportunity? I doubt she would willingly go along with something like that anyway. And if she doesn't... well, that's where the entire "hunted by the Federation" route comes back into play.
Holy crap. Blake's 7 meets Metroid. Samus' 7. Perhaps that hunter that tried to track her down at the end of Prime 3 could reappear, if Sakimoto approves.

Is this the ok topic for it?
if not sorry.

EU release for September of 2010 !!!!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39823/Metroid-Other-M-confirmed-for-September#after_ad

Nintendo ad reveals Samus' latest adventure will hit the UK in two months

Metroid: Other M will be released in the UK this September.
(AKA the EU)

The release window was confirmed by a trade ad from Nintendo in the latest issue of MCV, due out tomorrow.

This puts the game's European debut within weeks of its US launch, confirmed as August 31st during Nintendo's E3 press conference.

It also means UK gamers won't have to wait long after the game reaches Japan on September 2nd.

Metroid: Other M is the newest take on the long-running sci-fi franchise. It is the first in the series to be developed by a third-party developer, Team Ninja.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
September can't come Quickly enough :D
Serious Confession here Gaffer's never was into Metroid Back in the Day (Nes/SNES)
been into it from Prime and Shadow Complex got me back into these style of games but Other M Looks sweet

Johnas

jufonuk said:
September can't come Quickly enough :D
Serious Confession here Gaffer's never was into Metroid Back in the Day (Nes/SNES)
been into it from Prime and Shadow Complex got me back into these style of games but Other M Looks sweet

Have you bought Super Metroid off the Virtual Console?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Johnas said:
Have you bought Super Metroid off the Virtual Console?

yes I have Suepr metroid on VC, the issue I have is that sometimes the Tv cannot display the picture wii the edtv lead (i think it is the way my TV switches the signals)

robor

So much controversy behind this game, at times it grates me but perhaps this is a good sign. I mean I don't think I've seen this much disdain for the series since the first Prime, maybe that's why the franchise is so unique.

Most of it's stuff we already know. I'm too lazy to look up vocabulary now, but here is what I got from it:

- Because you have a very limited amount of buttons on the Wii-remote, the controls have to adapt to your enviroments a lot. For example, depending on the enemy a different finishing move is possible.

- Goal was to make the movement from cinematics to gameplay seemless.

- Bombing walls to discover items in the 2D Metroids and investigating the enviroments in the first-person view to find items have the same kind of feeling to them.

- Because Samus is not "very good at living like a normal human being", and doesn't talk much, when it came to choosing the voice actress (Kobayashi Ai) they wanted someone who could speak in an unsophisticated, direct manner, rather than someone with very good technique.

- Because Sakamoto wanted Other M to have the same feeling as the 2D Metroids, the shooting animation (Samus raising her hand to shoot) was made as quick as possible.

- The guy from D-Rockets wanted to have more Zero Suit in there. While the armour protects Samus during battles, it also covers her feelings, and thus is not so good for human drama. However, Sakamoto was adamant that Samus would not take of her armour unless it really suited the story and the situation. They wanted to portray a strong, cool Samus, who has powers other human beings don't.

Gino

Neon_Icarus said:
Most of it's stuff we already know. I'm too lazy to look up vocabulary now, but here is what I got from it:

- Because you have a very limited amount of buttons on the Wii-remote, the controls have to adapt to your enviroments a lot. For example, depending on the enemy a different finishing move is possible.

- Bombing walls to discover items in the 2D Metroids and investigating the enviroments in the first-person view to find items have the same kind of feeling to them.

- Because Samus is not "very good at living like a normal human being", and doesn't talk much, when it came to choosing the voice actress (Koeda Ai) they wanted someone who could speak in an unsophisticated, direct manner, rather than someone with very good technique.

- Because Sakamoto wanted Other M to have the same feeling as the 2D Metroids, the shooting animation (Samus raising her hand to shoot) was made as quick as possible.

- The guy from D-Rockets wanted to have more Zero Suit in there. While the armour protects Samus during battles, it also covers her feelings, and thus is not so good for human drama. However, Sakamoto was adamant that Samus would not take of her armour unless it really suited the story and the situation. They wanted to portray a strong, cool Samus, who has powers other human beings don't.

Nice. Thanks for the highlights.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
First, thank you for the summary, Neon-Icarus.

Neon_Icarus said:
However, Sakamoto was adamant that Samus would not take of her armour unless it really suited the story and the situation. They wanted to portray a strong, cool Samus, who has powers other human beings don't.

Well, I guess he's not completely useless then, but I still cringe every time I hear them talk about Samus's feelings and how she behaves as a human being. And we have yet to take a look at those scenes where Samus will show her "maternal instincts" towards Metroids *shudder*.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Kilrogg said:
First, thank you for the summary, Neon-Icarus.

Well, I guess he's not completely useless then, but I still cringe every time I hear them talk about Samus's feelings and how she behaves as a human being. And we have yet to take a look at those scenes where Samus will show her "maternal instincts" towards Metroids *shudder*.

I know, I can't stand my humans acting like humans. ew

mantidor

Neon_Icarus said:

- Because Samus is not "very good at living like a normal human being", and doesn't talk much, when it came to choosing the voice actress (Koeda Ai) they wanted someone who could speak in an unsophisticated, direct manner, rather than someone with very good technique.

I like all of this. The japanese VA is better than the english one sadly.

Gino

Well I just beat Super metroid last night. I've beaten all the 2d metroids except Metroid 2 this month. I did beat that a few months ago but I think I'll do it one more time.

Read the Metroid Manga a few weeks ago too.

I'm really hyped for this game.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this game.

I like Metroid, but I rarely finish the games. Only ones I've beat are the original, and the first Prime 1. I always burn out at some point.

As long as this game is fun, I'm cool if it doesn't retain all of the Metroid 'design philososphy'.

Whoompthereitis said:

I like Metroid, but I rarely finish the games. Only ones I've beat are the original, and the first Prime 1. I always burn out at some point.

As long as this game is fun, I'm cool if it doesn't retain all of the Metroid 'design philososphy'.

You should finish Super Metroid, the ending is the best part and the only part with any story, bar the opening.

Boney

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:

Super, Fusion and Zero Mission are like 3 hours long :lol

robor

Neon_Icarus said:

And boy did they nail the shit out of this. Every in-game clip I've seen has shown the most seamless transition I've ever seen in a game. My jaw dropped when I saw it.

Boney said:
The guy from Team Ninja. Forgot his name.

Yousuke Hayashi?

Boney

Banned
robor said:
And boy did they nail the shit out of this. Every in-game clip I've seen has shown the most seamless transition I've ever seen in a game. My jaw dropped when I saw it.

Yousuke Hayashi?
Yeah Hayashi! Thanks.

I'm pretty pumped for this game actually.

Neon_Icarus said:

What say you haters now?!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Varjet said:
Did you just call Sakamoto useless?

On Metroid Other M? Yeah, almost. Harmful in some ways (mainly the whole "let's learn who Samus is" focus) even. Obviously he's the director on the game, so he's technically needed, but I don't like the ideas he's injecting into Metroid with this game.

robor

He's not director, he's producer and just because he's doing things you don't like with Samus hardly makes him useless.

Oh boy, i hope they dubbed to other european languages here, I still dont like the english one and im sure they will probably do a better job if they try to do a good spanish dub.

robor said:
He's not director, he's producer and just because he's doing things you don't like with Samus hardly makes him useless.

I love when people think they have more right to say what a character can or cant do instead of the creator of it.

You dont like what he is trying to do, well, sorry for you.

heringer

Neon_Icarus said:

They better be carefull or this could easily backfire...

MechaX

Gino said:
I like learning more about Samus. I read the manga and her back story is good for me.

This is pretty much just a typical Nintendo mascot conundrum. One half of the camp wants these characters (Samus and Link especially) to move beyond "archaic" blank-slate-esque characterizations to actual characters and basic story to a more cutscene-inclusive style, usually with an emphasis on voice acting. The other camp finds such attempts to characterize the mascot characters as insults and wants them to retain their non-involvement in regards to talking, acting, etc, etc.

Personally, after 20 years of "Are you a bad enough female bounty hunter to chase the Space Dragon and rescue/investigate this thing?", I'm glad they're at least attempting something a little different by giving Samus an actual personality (kind of, even though her detached demeanor is a personality trait for her)

robor

Pretty much where I'm at too. When I first heard about a deeper story, I was excited. The very first trailer had me in awe because it looked and felt so different. Much like the past iterations, it was the same feeling I got with Fusion.

Gino

MechaX said:
This is pretty much just a typical Nintendo mascot conundrum. One half of the camp wants these characters (Samus and Link especially) to move beyond "archaic" blank-slate-esque characterizations to actual characters and basic story to a more cutscene-inclusive style, usually with an emphasis on voice acting. The other camp finds such attempts to characterize the mascot characters as insults and wants them to retain their non-involvement in regards to talking, acting, etc, etc.

Personally, after 20 years of "Are you a bad enough female bounty hunter to chase the Space Dragon and rescue/investigate this thing?", I'm glad they're at least attempting something a little different by giving Samus an actual personality (kind of, even though her detached demeanor is a personality trait for her)
I would like Link and mario to remain silent but with Samus Nintendo has already broken that barrier. She talks. She talked in all the metoid games (except 2 maybe?). Yes voice is new to this one unless you count the brief voice in Super metroid but she talks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Neon_Icarus said:

*High fives Sakamoto*

Top Bottom