• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Minna No Golf (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf) announced for PS4

Griss

This is one of my favourite gaming franchises by far. I've been waiting for this trailer for over a year. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am by that utter shit-show of a trailer.

Looks like Clap Hanz has had their budget slashed by 2/3rds since the glorious Vita/PS3 game, and I can't understand it.

-Those fucking Microsoft avatars;
-Those animations;
-That focus on nonsense social features like 'waving to a group of strangers you don't give a shit about';
-That dull-looking course designed around other activities than golf;
-That lack of visual fidelity;
-That lack of classic EG charm;
-That lack of FUCKING GOLF.

Hello Mr Hanz, where is the golf? I was told to come to this location and that there would be golf, but it's not here? Where is it? The golf, that is? WHERE IS THE GOLF

kevin1025

Banned
The feel I got from the trailer is that the game is relying a lot more on social aspects, where you pick a character or make your own avatar and join up with friends or random people and can play a round of golf or do some mini-games at the golf course. If there's still that core golf game that makes Hot Shots Golf great, this could have some awesome potential.

This is one of my favourite gaming franchises by far. I've been waiting for this trailer for over a year. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am by that utter shit-show of a trailer.

Looks like Clap Hanz has had their budget slashed by 2/3rds since the glorious Vita/PS3 game, and I can't understand it.

-Those animations;
-That focus on nonsense social features like 'waving to a group of strangers you don't give a shit about';

Hello Mr Hanz, where is the golf? I was told to come to this location and that there would be golf, but it's not here? Where is it? The golf, that is? WHERE IS THE GOLF
i dunno, the other games always had that off-beat cheapness to their animations and aesthetics, which is part of Clap Hands charm I guess.

Still, I'm damn pumped.

Zemm

-Those animations;

Yes well said.

HSG sold me on a PS3, it sold me on Vita. Luckily for Sony I already have a PS4 because this trailer makes it look awful. No confidence in this at all now. Please surprise me.

Griss

i dunno, the other games always had that off-beat cheapness to their animations and aesthetics, which is part of Clap Hands charm I guess.

Still, I'm damn pumped.

Man, I don't agree with that at all. I felt like the last one was polished to a diamond sheen. There was nothing even remotely cheap about it. Except maybe the animal animations, but they're just on the course as a bit of fun.

Yes well said.

HSG sold me on a PS3, it sold me on Vita. Luckily for Sony I already have a PS4 because this trailer makes it look awful. No confidence in this at all now. Please surprise me.

Yeah. I mean, the first EG last gen sold me on a 3D TV, the second one sold me on a Vita. But this trailer... I just don't know, it looks like they've gone straight back to the style of the two PSP games. Flat course, basic bobble-head avatars. Now, those games were fucking amazing and I loved them to death (seeing a trend here?) but it's 2015 and this is the PS4. More is required.

Cmagus

-Those animations;

I couldn't agree more this does not look good. The characters look boring and dull and like you said where is the golf. I thought the first trailer they showed wasn't good and really did nothing for the game but this one had even less.

Makki

So much ass. Guess I will be replaying Hot Shots on PS3 for a while. Better character models and all...

JordanN

Banned
Other than the lack of HSG's trademark cartoon characters, I thought the trailer was really impressive.

Open world golf sounds super fun.

kdoll08

I'm not sure what all the bitching is about here. From what I have gathered almost no details were announced and a trailer was shown. When other games show a trailer we don't take that as everything the game will be, why are people doing this here? I'm sure that the golf will still be great and the ability to do a custom character is something I have wanted since forever in this series.

Griss

Other than the lack of HSG's trademark cartoon characters, I thought the trailer was really impressive.

Open world golf sounds super fun.

Open world golf sounds like the worst idea I've heard. The whole strength of EG / HSG has always been that you move from shot to shot in seconds, even between holes. They've always focused on that game flow, and it's hugely important. 'Open world golf' would just add time between the actually gameplay (the shot) and for what? What do you gain?

I'm not sure what all the bitching is about here. From what I have gathered almost no details were announced and a trailer was shown. When other games show a trailer we don't take that as everything the game will be, why are people doing this here? I'm sure that the golf will still be great and the ability to do a custom character is something I have wanted since forever in this series.

You can get solid hints as to which direction a franchise or game is moving from what they decide to focus on in the first reveal trailer. You also get a view of the visuals. Here, both things are very worrying.

As for custom characters, sure that's not a bad idea but not when they look like this, and especially not when we've had too games of absolutely awesome designs.

tilomite!

Love the series, but the trailer was not impressive. It looks like it's gonna be about more than golf and the graphics don't scream PS4. Still probably there on day 1.

Jeels

Ya after today's trailer not that into it. I liked the concept when it was introduced last year, but it looks significantly worse than the previous title (even the Vita version) and doesn't look fun either.

looks worse than World Invitational :(

zero actual golf gameplay shown though,which is all that matters to me..

looks very social and on par with wii sports

i'll take a golf cart racing minigame though

atleast it features the fountain from the online hub world

Still, I'm damn pumped.

I'm with you on this. Seems like a natural evolution of where they've already been heading. I don't think there's enough in the trailer to get too upset about at the moment, but it already seems a bit friendlier to me than the past titles and I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay and details.

You really think this is the only course in the game or something? This is likely either a multiplayer lobby course or it is the Highlands equivalent easy course.

I love Hot Shots as much as anyone and that trailer was about what I expected. If you go into a hot shots due to visuals I'm not sure what to tell you. The games have never been a visual tour de force. It is all about the amazingly fun gameplay in these titles. Ever since Hot Shots Fore! They have toned down the zany characters actually. Fore! Had an amazing cast full of stereotypes and hilarity but since then it's been pretty tame and standard characters

killroy87

Where did all the iconic characters from the original HSG go? Like the fat guy with the mustache? Have they been gone for a long time?

Hmmm. It's like HSG x Wii Sports Resort. The characters are looking a little more like Xbox Avatars with this one too.

Love the series so I can't wait to play it.

Yo seriously some of you say you have played HSG but with these comments I'm
Beginning to wonder. Choppy animations? Since when have we seen these characters walk or run before? You've only ever seen the caddy's run at breakneck speeds toward the ball.

It is more then obvious what they are going for here. Social golf with other activities thrown in. My guess is this is a hub lobby area and not an actual course. Most of the trailer was showing people teeing off or putting with many others around that looked like other players. The end showed the iconic hitting off the tee from the series.

But it is funny some people think this is the only course in the game lol

-NeoTB1-

I didn't care for the trailer at all, but I love this series. I still play the daily tournament on the Vita every day (well, sans Mondays).

Feels like they're being super cagey about this game. Trailer tells us next to nothing. I'm betting this is probably going to be Playstatuon VR's "Wii sports"

AndyD

aka andydumi
Got a F2P MMO vibe off the trailer.

Yep. With minigame activities too. Driving a cart, fishing, skydiving. Like a little playpark/Wii sports on PS4.

If they make the image superclean with stable framerate, no aliasing and good AF, it would be a great little fun adventure.

As long as I can play vs (or with) my gf and the gameplay is still good, I don't care about the avatars.

I didn't care for the trailer at all, but I love this series. I still play the daily tournament on the Vita every day (well, sans Mondays).

I almost forgot I have this on Vita, I should play more.

Top Bottom