• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Minna No Golf (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf) announced for PS4

Empty

absolute lol at them cutting a forza horizon or driveclub esque trailer except with shitty looking badly animated characters poddling around, driving golf buggies, sitting next to ugly fountains just for a clap hanz pun

game should be really great though it's annoying that this is the first showing in a year and we know so little

CamHostage

The feel I got from the trailer is that the game is relying a lot more on social aspects, where you pick a character or make your own avatar and join up with friends or random people and can play a round of golf or do some mini-games at the golf course. If there's still that core golf game that makes Hot Shots Golf great, this could have some awesome potential.

What I found interesting in the surrounding gameplay is that it finally takes in a bit of the Golf RPG that I thought was going to be a part of the franchise.

If you look at the distant-cousin Mario Golf series (the first Hot Shots Golf was by Camelot Software Planning, before they went over to work with Nintendo), there was in the GB days of Mario Golf an RPG component to the game. I always wondered if ClapHanz would pick anything up out of that concept as the franchise went on (especially after Hot Shots started expanding in Tennis and minigames,) so this is a positive for me. They always get golfing right, I wouldn't mind if they looked to expand the borders on the series if they keep that right.

mario-golf-advance-tour-20040608040753016-854682.jpg

(RPG-type section of Mario Golf Advance Tour)

The look of the characters, however, isn't doing the right things for me.

Placiibo

Banned
There is a feature I believe should have been in golf games 2 generations ago: the ability to walk/drive on the course and explore it. One of the fun moments in real golf is cranking that shot over or around an obstacle and then driving out to look for where it landed. Sadly, it involves tall grass at times...

I always thought golf games needed this as an option. I think we're finally getting it.

Think about VR too. Gamers will want to walk around and explore the famous courses in VR. No more warping to your ball. Finally, we are progressing to open world golf courses. Looks like we might get balls coming the opposite direction too from the next hole over.

Good stuff.

Niks

This is one of my favourite gaming franchises by far. I've been waiting for this trailer for over a year. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am by that utter shit-show of a trailer.

Looks like Clap Hanz has had their budget slashed by 2/3rds since the glorious Vita/PS3 game, and I can't understand it.

-Those fucking Microsoft avatars;
-Those animations;
-That focus on nonsense social features like 'waving to a group of strangers you don't give a shit about';
-That dull-looking course designed around other activities than golf;
-That lack of visual fidelity;
-That lack of classic EG charm;
-That lack of FUCKING GOLF.

Hello Mr Hanz, where is the golf? I was told to come to this location and that there would be golf, but it's not here? Where is it? The golf, that is? WHERE IS THE GOLF

Well put.
Classic example of a game trying too many things.. And not sticking to your guns.

Those avatars look terrible.

I like how people say the lack of golf when in the final moments of the trailer the classic rainbow colored nice shot hit of the ball in clap hanz hsg fashion is shown right there. I dont know what first trailer shows 100% of a games contents.

I have no problem with an Everybody's Golf game "playing it safe", so I hope this is as fun as the others. If they fuck it up because they got experimental, I'll be really disappointed.

Griss

There is a feature I believe should have been in golf games 2 generations ago: the ability to walk/drive on the course and explore it. One of the fun moments in real golf is cranking that shot over or around an obstacle and then driving out to look for where it landed. Sadly, it involves tall grass at times...

I always thought golf games needed this as an option. I think we're finally getting it.

Think about VR too. Gamers will want to walk around and explore the famous courses in VR. No more warping to your ball. Finally, we are progressing to open world golf courses. Looks like we might get balls coming the opposite direction too from the next hole over.

Good stuff.

This is a fair point but I don't believe the trailer actually hinted at that at all. One of the things that frustrated me about the last Everybody's Golf was that 'Real Golf Mode' (where the camera stays behind your character so you can't pick out a landing spot) was only in certain single player tournaments. Deciding roughly what club you need from your course knowledge, then watching the ball as it flies over a hill, hopefully dodging a bunker and ending up on the green but you're not sure, or hitting a great shot that LOOKS like it's 2 feet from the pin put it could be an illusion... That's golf.

And the ability to run after a ball to see where it's going in that mode would be helpful, so long as it was entirely optional and didn't break game flow. Most times I want to move from shot to shot as quickly as possible.

I have put like a hundred hours into Everybody's Golf on Vita, I adore that game, it's just about perfect (and I don't even like golf!)

This looks shit.

And it does not make me happy saying that. As everyone else has already noted, the characters look exactly like 360 avatars, god knows what the point of that trailer was, and yes, haha guys. You're called Clap Handz and you picked a trailer song called Clap Your Hands. Hilarious.

I opened this topic thinking "oh shit, this might sell me on a PS4 when it comes out".

Now i'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist (unless later impressions seem good, obviously!)

But i'm really, really disappointed.

This is one of my favourite gaming franchises by far. I've been waiting for this trailer for over a year. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am by that utter shit-show of a trailer.

Looks like Clap Hanz has had their budget slashed by 2/3rds since the glorious Vita/PS3 game, and I can't understand it.

-Those animations;
-That focus on nonsense social features like 'waving to a group of strangers you don't give a shit about';

Hello Mr Hanz, where is the golf? I was told to come to this location and that there would be golf, but it's not here? Where is it? The golf, that is? WHERE IS THE GOLF

I didn't see your post before, but oh my god yes. I agree with all of this.

Well putt.
Classic example of a game trying too many things.. And not sticking to your guns.

Those avatars look terrible.

Fixed it for you ;)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The characters do look exactly like 360 avatars and it does have a strong whiff of F2P about it. I'll still give it a chance as long as the golf is as good as ever but I'm not particularly interested in the other activities.

Bluenoser

Yeah, I love the series too, but this looks poor.

Also they 100% stole Microsoft's Xbox 360 avatars & their animations. THESE ARE LITERALLY 360 AVATARS. How is this legal? I mean besides how shitty they look.

Or did MS steal Hot Shot's avatar system? Hot Shots (Everyone's Golf) has been around since 1997. The toons they showed in that trailer did look a lot like some of the avatars I've seen on XBL, but toons are toons.... there's only so many ways to design them.

This looks shit.

I don't think it showed any actual gameplay. This seems like filler content. I have played every Hot Shots and love them all but I am not going to overreact to the nothing that was shown in that "trailer".

My prediction is that this one is just like every other Hot Shots and I am fine with that.

Razzorn34

Man, those awful character models and animations... How is something on a new console going to look overall worse than PS3/Vita?

Placiibo

Banned
This is a fair point but I don't believe the trailer actually hinted at that at all. One of the things that frustrated me about the last Everybody's Golf was that 'Real Golf Mode' (where the camera stays behind your character so you can't pick out a landing spot) was only in certain single player tournaments. Deciding roughly what club you need from your course knowledge, then watching the ball as it flies over a hill, hopefully dodging a bunker and ending up on the green but you're not sure, or hitting a great shot that LOOKS like it's 2 feet from the pin put it could be an illusion... That's golf.

And the ability to run after a ball to see where it's going in that mode would be helpful, so long as it was entirely optional and didn't break game flow. Most times I want to move from shot to shot as quickly as possible.

maybe in a videogame the only fun thing would be driving the kart around the course. If in online games you had players shooting the opposite direction on the next hole it could be fun to watch that. Haha imagine 30 karts racing across the greens at the start of the online tourney...

I don't think it showed any actual gameplay. This seems like filler content. I have played every Hot Shots and love them all but I am not going to overreact to the nothing that was shown in that "trailer".

My prediction is that this one is just like every other Hot Shots and I am fine with that.

I mean, in terms of what we can see - the models are poor, the graphics are far worse relative to the strength of the platform they're on, I didn't spot any of the proper characters - who on earth is that trailer supposed to appeal to? If it's not indicative of the game itself, I would much rather that they released nothing and just reconfirmed it was coming. As I said, i'm open to hearing that it's great further down the line, but I stand by my point - that trailer, in my eyes (and several others in this thread) looked shit.

Arzehn

It seems like instead of targeting Japan like usual they are trying to find an art style with global appeal like Mii's. I hope they reconsider, because the avatars are currently pretty ugly.

Nyx

Would be up for more activities than golf and tons of character customization, but better graphics would have been nice...

bender

What time is it?
The lobby system in this series has always been goofy and I'm hoping all the side activities are just more things to do while you are waiting for the round to start. Not a huge fan of the avatars either, I'll miss the characterizations found in the previous games. I'll be there day one, this is one of my favorite series ever.

Chris R

Hope the golf is good. Got hyped when I saw what game it was, but then the trailer did everything in it's power to turn me off of ever buying the game :(

I just want golf. I don't care about the character creation stuff or any kind of online play. Just give me solid golf with good courses.

Im so glad i had bad tastes back in the day with games. Now that im getting into different franchises fairly late the crap i see everyone complaining about i can't understand because i never played a single game..my point? I thought that looked freaking amazing and colorful and fun but i guess thats not what the series is known for?

-Those animations;

the fook?

NeoGaf, one of a kind, I'd swear some posters are like retired game developers. Who notices all this stuff?

the fook?

NeoGaf, one of a kind, I'd swear some posters are like retired game developers. Who notices all this stuff?
There's literally a post like this in every game announced at tgs aside from nioh which seems to be getting praise across the board(rightfully so) only game that looked off to me was resident evil everything else had me drooling

Griss

the fook?

Someone who has put at least 500 hours into the series and has also worked programming games (on amateur/student teams - I was the only one not to go pro, switched careers).

zeopower6

I don't really think there's anything to worry about. :/ When they actually show the golf gameplay it should be fine. This trailer seemed like it was trying to emphasize the open world nature of the "new" in the title.

Griss

Here is a link to the Japanese website for the game. It shows a few screens that includes some actual golf pictures and shows a level up post for your character. Hopefully this helps some people stop complaining so much.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/newmingol.html

It's better than what they showed in the trailer but it still looks rough as hell. Really don't like where they've gone with the avatars. The characters in the last couple of games have been great. The course looks worse than the last PS3 game, imo. That just doesn't make sense to me.

CamHostage

The lobby system in this series has always been goofy and I'm hoping all the side activities are just more things to do while you are waiting for the round to start.

That's what I was thinking too, that they're diversions but probably not even mini-games as we'd think of them. (I actually originally thought that these were maybe just part of an in-game method of introducing the characters, but I was multitasking at the time and when I popped the video full-screen I saw how bad things looked and couldn't fathom they'd do controlled sequences with characters so ill-characterized...) I think non-golf activities will be part of the New Hot Shots experience, but people worried that it's going to be packed with distractions and lacking where it counts probably don't have much to fear.

Looking at the screens, it's not a tragedy, but I'd love to see a little more pizzazz slathered on the game before it hits PS4.

newmingol2015seps02png-995f85.png

newmingol2015seps03png-995f86.png

That's what I was thinking too, that they're diversions but probably not even mini-games as we'd think of them. (I actually originally thought that these were maybe just part of an in-game method of introducing the characters, but I was multitasking at the time and when I popped the video full-screen I saw how bad things looked and couldn't fathom they'd do controlled sequences with characters so ill-characterized...)

Looking at the screens, it's not a tragedy, but I'd love to see a little more pizzazz slathered on the game before it hits PS4.

newmingol2015seps02png-995f85.png

newmingol2015seps03png-995f86.png

That looks good to me, very colorful...i like should be a nice entry point for me to the series. Does this generally come west?

You might know it as hot shot golf in US and everybody's golf in europe.

A bit surprised with all the negative reaction here. I guess I had a different perspective. I love that they showed all the new stuff like the open world town, and various glimpses of minigames because I'm pretty confident that the golf part will be perfect. I just wish they showed tennis and the avatar could look better I guess.

kdoll08

newmingol2015sep_s05

Looks like others players have to wait for you to take the shot, and trash talk you while you are doing it?

The trash talk feature has been in most of the multiplayer versions of previous games in the series. You character will just say stuff like "hurry up" or "come on already"

Top Bottom