• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Modern Warfare 2 Trailer

DuckRacer

Rapping Granny said:
umm that RainbowSix shot is all bullshot, I don't remember the game looking that detailed and shiny.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't look as good as that shot, plus its performance is utter shit. (texture and object pop-in, frame dips at 30fps, etc.)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Graphics on their own aren't awesome, but the presentation is very good, so I'm cool with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rapping Granny said:
umm that RainbowSix shot is all bullshot, I don't remember the game looking that detailed and shiny.
In all fairness, somehow I doubt that Modern Warfare 2 has 8x Anti-Aliasing on everything but their shadows while running at 60 fps on console.

Not to mention that these screenshots are in 900 x 507 resolution. Unless the final game is running in 500p, these screenshots are misleading in the first place.

Modern Warfare 2 has a very good art direction however, which makes the visuals look nice even if they're not that hot from a technical perspective.

Mr.Green

Ether_Snake said:
Graphics on their own aren't awesome, but the presentation is very good, so I'm cool with it.

You serious? Compared to what? I thought it looked amazing. Especially considering how smooth the CoD games run. And man, at last they've cranked up the god damn color saturation. That alone makes a huge difference in my opinion.

Trailer looks great. Infinity Ward seem to have a knack for presenting a completely believable image on the screen: I think it's part lighting, part animation, and part art direction.

I'm not particularly enamoured with the voice acting, although there isn't much to go on yet. The VA for Price in MW was pretty hard to fault though so the bar has been raised pretty high.

My biggest concern though is the character design; mohawk on an SAS trooper seems a little out of place, plus what's with the guy with facemask, sunglasses and ear muffs? I'm reminded of the Peril Sensitive Sunglasses from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mr.Green said:
You serious? Compared to what? I thought it looked amazing. Especially considering how smooth the CoD games run. And man, at last they've cranked up the god damn color saturation. That alone makes a huge difference in my opinion.

They're not bad, they are just not awesome, but the environments have good art direction and the presentation is well put together, it works well.

TheFatOne

Graphically I'm not really impressed, but I want to see what they do with the MP. I never got hooked on COD4 maybe this one will get me.

soultron

Banned
Good god. I just watched the trailer. I was basically floored, but I'm a total IW fanboy. That shit was so hot. I'm really liking the locations and the pedestrians! (I called Rio!)

I'm pretty excited for the story this time. If anything, it should provide a good excuse to line up all of the different set pieces. I wonder if we'll be playing from multiple perspectives again?

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Blu_LED said:
Thing that stood out the most to me was the civilians. I can't believe IW is going to tackle that.

Something that has never been done before I want to see how it will turn out.

Stoney Mason said:
It's a bit early to draw a lot of conclusions from that video imo.
Why? COD4 didn't have any cutscenes technically, so I'm guessing this will be the game. So that scene with the civilians would have to have you playing.

Talon

Since when does every game have to blow you away graphically? The game looks marginally better than CoD4, and, hell, that's perfectly fine with me because that still looked great (muted colors notwithstanding).

I prefer Modern Warfare 2's look (and Halo 3's for that matter) over the art direction of the Gears games. So what if Gears is more technically impressive? The game looks like I'm staring at some late 90s "mature" comic book.

Presentation and design trumps technical precision in my book. Give me Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge or Prince of Persia over Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Blu_LED said:
Thing that stood out the most to me was the civilians. I can't believe IW is going to tackle that.

"Sir, the civilian hostages keep pouring out of the building! I don't know how many more we can rescue!"

"Just move three feet forward Soap!"

"...oh."

(btw, the graphics are fine.)

scoobs

looks okay, but i'm really just interested in the multiplayer... wake me up when a trailer showing off the new multiplayer stuff is shown off :)

http://www.thekoalition.com/modern-warfare-2-trailer-full-of-omg/

screenshots from the trailer...about 30...heres proof of in game below

mw2-grabs-6.jpg

VaLiancY

The trailer was good, it had the movie blockbuster trailer feel which I can dig.

Edit - This was probably linked but I was watching the trailer and I said to myself "I know that guy from somewhere!".

tearsofthesun_p17.jpg

Nirolak said:
Comparing it to Rainbow Six: Vegas is pretty unfair, but comparing it to Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 is a pretty fair comparison. Modern Warfare 2 definitely looks better, but it's not miles apart.
Looks nothing like your screen you posted and was glitchy as hell and had the worse textures than a PS2 game in co-op mode. STOP the hate guys. It looks great.

ultron87

Wow, has Call of Duty reached the level of mainstream popularity where people feel an overwhelming desire to shit on it?

It's up there with Madden in that regard I guess.

ultron87 said:
Wow, has Call of Duty reached the level of mainstream popularity where people feel an overwhelming desire to shit on it?

Pretty much, apparently its more casual than Peggle too.

soultron

Banned
Everyone will play it and love it. Then, two years later, just before the release of MW3, they'll all come to shit on it on GAF.

I love it!

Dead Man

Meh. Game looks fine, but you know how some of you are sick of WW2 games? I'm pretty over anti-terrorism elite unit games with crowded, cluttered maps.
Dark FaZe said:
Looks like there are more intimate engagements in this one instead of the typically huge battlegrounds. The trailer really failed to get me hyped though. I want the product as much as most people but it didn't really do anything for me. It felt very much like Call of Duty: Rainbow Six.
Agreed. And it makes me sad.

Talon- said:
Since when does every game have to blow you away graphically? The game looks marginally better than CoD4, and, hell, that's perfectly fine with me because that still looked great (muted colors notwithstanding).

I prefer Modern Warfare 2's look (and Halo 3's for that matter) over the art direction of the Gears games. So what if Gears is more technically impressive? The game looks like I'm staring at some late 90s "mature" comic book.

Presentation and design trumps technical precision in my book. Give me Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge or Prince of Persia over Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2.

Killzone 2 doesn't fit into that argument.

GAF is so critical. :lol

The average gamer will find it a ton of fun. They will find it good looking. And it will sell fucking shit-tons. Millions more than even CoD4.

I actually wasn't very pumped for CoD4 until I played it.

Talon

AltogetherAndrews said:
Killzone 2 doesn't fit into that argument.
I prefer Uncharted's look over Killzone's if that satisfied you.

When I associated Gears with Killzone, I wasn't associating the aesthetics. Rather, I was differentiating between style and technical precision.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

SkySonata

Banned
AnnSwag said:
Something that has never been done before I want to see how it will turn out.

If it's anything like real life you can blow up tons of civilians in another country and receive only a slap on the wrist.

billy.sea

Banned
ultron87 said:

Yip, this game will flop (in GAF only) just like GTAIV and RE5. For a game to be consider good it needs to strike a balance between quality and mainstream popularity. Games like Uncharted and Crackdown are the best games ever because they are just good enough to be not too popular. Also, goodness +1 if it doesn't sell.

lol

Awesome. Looks like they're actually trying to create compelling single player campaign again instead of just throwing some garbage out there then giving us a new multiplayer mode. Would be even better if they just cut the multiplayer out completely and stuck to single player.

soultron

Banned
idahoblue said:
Meh. Game looks fine, but you know how some of you are sick of WW2 games? I'm pretty over anti-terrorism elite unit games with crowded, cluttered maps.

Agreed. And it makes me sad.
The GI article stressed how big the levels are this time, also giving players the freedom to choose their own path and play style. You can choose to tackle your own route, working through a hillside shanty town. You can also use heartbeat monitors in snowy levels to stealthily sneaking mission your way through things.

fistfulofmetal said:
Awesome. Looks like they're actually trying to create compelling single player campaign again instead of just throwing some garbage out there then giving us a new multiplayer mode. Would be even better if they just cut the multiplayer out completely and stuck to single player.
You've come out of OT and dropped this on us? This better be a joke.

SkySonata

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:

joke post?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought the trailer was excellent. It looked very much like CoD4 but seeing as it's the sequel I don't think that's a bad thing. I loved the campaign in CoD4 and if this delivers like that one did I'll be very happy. They've fixed my only real complaint about it, infinite respawns. If it's just a bit longer I would be pleased. Hopefully MP will be just as high quality as before.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Flunkie said:
You wouldn't. I wouldn't. That part just seemed like a very spoiler-esque scene. The "castle" or wherever they were being airlifted out of looked very endgame-ish. Plus it was blowing up.

Probably nothing to get exited about. Could be a minimal thing compared to things unseen as far as we know.
It could be an epic opening scene, like the ship from CoD4.

cresto

Stoney Mason said:
In other words it looks like how a non-platform exclusive shooter is going to look. We can compare it to Battlefield Bad Company which looks better arguably in a still with the usual tradeoff that it neither animates as well as Modern Warfare nor does it run at 60 fps.

Pic of Bad Company 2
957916_05212009_screen001.jpg
<-wants

oneHeero

Its odd, some parts look so good and some parts just look like COD4 like there was no change whatsoever. I'm excited but meh after the support the cod4(ps3) got after the game launched I'll wait till more is announced. I dont like the attitude of how things are going with the name drop etc. COD4 is one of my favorite games on my ps3 but strictly MP talking since SP sucked imo.

Hopefully they find time in their ridiculously busy schedule to make sure rumble is in it and custom soundtracks. I dont want no bs excuse that they dont feel like adding anything in since it was released so late(not just talking bout rumble anything in general).

More than likely will be there day 1 though since COD4 MP was so great.

Top Bottom