• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Modern Warfare 2 Trailer

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Talon- said:
Since when does every game have to blow you away graphically? The game looks marginally better than CoD4, and, hell, that's perfectly fine with me because that still looked great (muted colors notwithstanding).

I prefer Modern Warfare 2's look (and Halo 3's for that matter) over the art direction of the Gears games. So what if Gears is more technically impressive? The game looks like I'm staring at some late 90s "mature" comic book.

Presentation and design trumps technical precision in my book. Give me Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge or Prince of Persia over Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2.
Actually Mirror's Edge is probably one of the most technically impressive games of the generation.

However, I totally agree with you in that art direction is extremely important for video games. It's just that Mirror's Edge isn't actually a game that throws style over technical prowess.

Dead Man

soultron said:
The GI article stressed how big the levels are this time, also giving players the freedom to choose their own path and play style. You can choose to tackle your own route, working through a hillside shanty town. You can also use heartbeat monitors in snowy levels to stealthily sneaking mission your way through things.
Hmmm... if the maps are large enough that might get me hyped. They still look cramped though. LOS seems very short in most of the scenes. No game play yet though, so I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'll still jump in, but it's not at the top of my list at the moment. If it had you being a regular soldier in a big war, I think I'd be more interested.

fistfulofmetal said:
Awesome. Looks like they're actually trying to create compelling single player campaign again instead of just throwing some garbage out there then giving us a new multiplayer mode. Would be even better if they just cut the multiplayer out completely and stuck to single player.

If they cut the multiplayer, the game would sell way fewer new copies. Way more than most people even realize, since trade-ins would go through the ROOF with no good reason to hang onto the game for months/years and there would be an enormous glut of cheap used copies.

Less revenue means pressure to cut the budget substantially.

So, yeah. If you'd prefer a lower-budget, cut-down single-player campaign, IW should definitely ditch multiplayer. :lol :lol :lol

oneHeero said:
Its odd, some parts look so good and some parts just look like COD4 like there was no change whatsoever. I'm excited but meh after the support the cod4(ps3) got after the game launched I'll wait till more is announced. I dont like the attitude of how things are going with the name drop etc. COD4 is one of my favorite games on my ps3 but strictly MP talking since SP sucked imo.

Hopefully they find time in their ridiculously busy schedule to make sure rumble is in it and custom soundtracks. I dont want no bs excuse that they dont feel like adding anything in since it was released so late(not just talking bout rumble anything in general).

More than likely will be there day 1 though since COD4 MP was so great.

This is exactly how I felt. Some parts looked new and different but then others looked just like COD4. I guess I was just expecting more but hey hitting 60fps is a feat by itself.

scoobs said:
Oh boy thats a bad sign... they've added riot shields. DEAR GOD PLEASE no riot shields in multiplayer!!!!! They sucked in counterstrike and they will suck in CoD.

Might actually skip this game, if it turns out to be more of the same... I'll wait for a steam 50% weekend or something to pick it up :)

Wait... if they add riot shields to change shit, you'll be upset... but if they don't change the gameplay you'll skip the game? WHAT DO YOU WANT???

soultron

Banned
idahoblue said:
Hmmm... if the maps are large enough that might get me hyped. They still look cramped though. LOS seems very short in most of the scenes. No game play yet though, so I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'll still jump in, but it's not at the top of my list at the moment. If it had you being a regular soldier in a big war, I think I'd be more interested.
Arma2 or OpFP2 are probably what you're looking for then, no?

Dead Man

soultron said:
Arma2 or OpFP2 are probably what you're looking for then, no?
Yeah, except when I want some SP on a comfy couch! :D That is part of what I like about the WW2 COD's. More of a regular soldier focus. The ones I have played, anyway.

Edit: OpFP2 is coming to consoles according to a kind soul, so couches for everyone!

oneHeero

BruceLeeRoy said:
This is exactly how I felt. Some parts looked new and different but then others looked just like COD4. I guess I was just expecting more but hey hitting 60fps is a feat by itself.
Definitely, I'll take 60fps so I wont be down on the graphics at all. I dont always need KZ2 type graphics, I have a ps3 so I'll get games that satisfy my graphic side often enough. COD is no slouch though so its all good. I just dislike the way the ps3 userbase was treated in terms of patching anything. It was so fucken stupid how long it would take to release a patch and than it was only to fix network problems never to improve anything else. I would have love rumble or trophies but we got BULLSHIT excuses. I also dislike that fourzerotwo(?) guy. Biggest fucken douchebag I've seen in the industry.

EDIT: Saw the trailer a few more times and its grown on me a lot and this is a day 1 purchase unless they fuck up like no trophies/custom soundtracks.

soultron

Banned
shrapnelmagnet said:
Wait... if they add riot shields to change shit, you'll be upset... but if they don't change the gameplay you'll skip the game? WHAT DO YOU WANT???
I think IW could do things right. It was mentioned in the GI article that, when shot, users with the shields stagger under the impact and such. The only problem is that, at least in screens, it seems players can use SMGs and such with the shield. That'd be fun for SP, but if it's in MP, keep it limited to pistols and up the reload times.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Definitely a day one purchase. Gotta get back into playing COD4 more regularly a little while before this comes out.

nib95

Banned
Great trailer. I'm pumped! Loving the level variety. Not sure how much of a visual upgrade the game's had though, but either way, looks fantastic.

witness

Not really impressed by this trailer, looks like more of the same which is not something that I'm interested in. Pretty sure I'll be, certainly one of the few, skipping this one.

soultron

Banned
DuckRacer said:
Some SA goons (who actually know their guns) have spotted a Street Sweeper shotgun and a bayonet on an AK47 in the trailer. And apparently there's an HK416, too.

I'm glad they're adding a bunch of new guns.
Not sure if you saw the GI article, but the FAMAS and the Steyr AUG (not sure which model) are also in so far! Lots of great new hardware!

@Switch: Stay posted on the IW forums for MW2, since they usually get first dibs on stuff like that. Register now so that you can avoid the rush of nooblies that decide to register when it gets announced.

Talon

Nirolak said:
Actually Mirror's Edge is probably one of the most technically impressive games of the generation.

However, I totally agree with you in that art direction is extremely important for video games. It's just that Mirror's Edge isn't actually a game that throws style over technical prowess.
Oh, of course. By saying that I prefer art direction doesn't mean these games ignore technical aspects. None of those titles I mentioned come up far short in either category.

Rikyfree said:
Meh, it worked for Killzone 2.
In the early trailers maybe. Sev's mohawk was all but gone by the time they released the game:
Killzone_Sevboxart_160w.jpg

And having said that, I don't really know that it did work for Killzone 2.

As for earmuffs dude, I'm reminded of these guys:
51pspc.jpg

I don't know, I was just hoping for something a little more original. Price in COD4 for example was fairly unique. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
looks pretty nice, I'll probably be picking it up :)

Xater

I think it looks awesome. Seems like the will focus on story even more this time. The also might be civillians in some levels?

With their story telling skills and general presentation chops, it's really a damned shame that IW doesn't seem to have the balls to try its hand at something a bit more interesting and fresh than this war stuff. Maybe that's really all they know how to do, but that's no less sad.

J-Rzez

Odd to see them stray from a more normal military war is hell setting, and shifting to more of a "Black Ops" direction. Anyways, don't really care about that since it'll mainly just deal with the SP. I'm more interested in the MP side of things. Would love to see a weapon and perk list, and perhaps whatever else they're doing. Oh well, E3 isn't too far away.

kuYuri

oneHeero said:
Definitely, I'll take 60fps so I wont be down on the graphics at all. I dont always need KZ2 type graphics, I have a ps3 so I'll get games that satisfy my graphic side often enough. COD is no slouch though so its all good. I just dislike the way the ps3 userbase was treated in terms of patching anything. It was so fucken stupid how long it would take to release a patch and than it was only to fix network problems never to improve anything else. I would have love rumble or trophies but we got BULLSHIT excuses. I also dislike that fourzerotwo(?) guy. Biggest fucken douchebag I've seen in the industry.

EDIT: Saw the trailer a few more times and its grown on me a lot and this is a day 1 purchase unless they fuck up like no trophies/custom soundtracks.

It's pretty obvious trophies will be in MW2 as it's a requirement, but custom soundtracks I'm sure is one of the last things on their mind when they are making the game.

CaVaYeRo

soultron said:
I don't speak Spanish, but doesn't that say that Activision hasn't made an official announcement yet?

Yes, that what it says. We know it's coming, Activision doesn't comment yet.

EDIT: Previous post edited for avoiding confusion. There's an exclusive? new shot in there, too.

Acidote

soultron said:
I don't speak Spanish, but doesn't that say that Activision hasn't made an official announcement yet?

They say that they came to know that a Wii versión will be released although Activision hasn't made an official announcement.

Expect it, not made by IW of course. And even considering Activision usually releases the same game (or name) for every platform (as this case will be), do not trust this website.

Jtrizzy

Strider2K99 said:
It's pretty obvious trophies will be in MW2 as it's a requirement, but custom soundtracks I'm sure is one of the last things on their mind when they are making the game.

Well that sucks. When you are spending so many hours in MP, you really need custom soundtracks.

lherre

Accurate
CaVaYeRo said:
Yes, that what it says. We know it's coming, Activision doesn't comment yet.

EDIT: Previous post edited for avoiding confusion. There's an exclusive? new shot in there, too.

And why Activision would keep the development of a wii version in secret? It doesn't make sense.

AltogetherAndrews said:
With their story telling skills and general presentation chops, it's really a damned shame that IW doesn't seem to have the balls to try its hand at something a bit more interesting and fresh than this war stuff. Maybe that's really all they know how to do, but that's no less sad.
Maybe they like what they do? It seems to be working out for them anyway.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm more interested in seeing new gameplay bits and what kind of new stuff they got in store. This pretty much looks like "more of the same" which is good so, we'll see.

Top Bottom