• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nine Inch Nails EP: "ADD VIOLENCE". July 21st. New Video.

UPDATE: EP IS OUT EVERYWHERE!

https://nin.lnk.to/ADDVIOLENCE

ITS HAPPENING! Part 2 of 3 EP Collection (The first being "NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS").

https://store.nin.com/collections/music

ADD VIOLENCE
FINDS NINE INCH NAILS BECOMING MORE ACCESSIBLE AND IMPENETRABLE AT THE SAME TIME. THE SONIC PALETTE EXPANDS SIGNIFICANTLY FROM NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS, INCORPORATING ELEMENTS OF BEAUTY INTO THE DARK DISSONANCE. THE NARRATIVE ARC LINKING THE THREE RECORDS BEGINS TO EMERGE THROUGH THE DISASSOCIATED LYRICS AND THE PROVOCATIVE AND CLUE-FILLED COVER ARTWORK AND ACCOMPANYING PHYSICAL COMPONENT, AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH THE NIN.COM STORE.

HzpyNR9.jpg

TRACKLIST:

01. LESS THAN (Music Video features the videogame, Polybius).
02. THE LOVERS
03. THIS ISN'T THE PLACE
04. NOT ANYMORE
05. THE BACKGROUND WORLD

Loads of merch available at nin.com

C4h7pNV.jpg

NotLiquid

Polybius huh? This track sounds like it's straight outta The Slip. Very raw chorus, which I missed a lot from Hesitation Marks.

is it just me or is he sounding old? I mean I know he's getting older but this is the first time I feel like I've heard it in his voice.

Animator

Ran to apple music to see if it is there as soon as I saw this and it is but when you try to add it or listen to it it says "not available". Fukkkkkkkkkkkk

Song is so awesome!

Hmm... Not really digging the single. Their last EP felt like it was going a bit more towards a Downward Spiral-ish sound.

Honestly I was never a fan of the more synth/pop songs, I feel like Trent's voice just doesn't mesh with the sound.

Clefargle

is it just me or is he sounding old? I mean I know he's getting older but this is the first time I feel like I've heard it in his voice.

You can hear it since the with_teeth era. But it's fine since he doesn't really auto tune his voice much. His performances still sound like the tracks minus some of the other types of effects he uses on his vocals like reverb, etc.

Sai-kun

Banned
fuuuuuuck yeah this fucking ownsssss!!!

this would not be out of place on the slip or maybe even year zero.

god damn i love this. i hope he plays it on tour.

zaryn

This is a great fucking song. Stuck in my head after just one listen. The recent GB VRodeo and now this video makes me really want to grab Polybius.

hughesta

Banned
first listen and I'm really not into the song, but I'm excited to throw on the EP when it's out and I'm sure I'll get into it more and more. Really excited!

GavinUK86

I have trouble really getting into modern NIN. It's weird. I just... can't. I feel the same with this track. It's just meh.

corin7

Neo Member
I love this song so much. Cannot stop listening to it. I just need them to flip the switch on that Vinyl pre-order.

I have trouble really getting into modern NIN. It's weird. I just... can't. I feel the same with this track. It's just meh.

My problem is that the angst just feels forced now. Like, the guys a millionaire with a bunch of property and an attractive wife, who hangs out backstage with celebrities. It's not the same as him coping with depression, addiction etc. on songs like Hurt.

My problem is that the angst just feels forced now. Like, the guys a millionaire with a bunch of property and an attractive wife, who hangs out backstage with celebrities. It's not the same as him coping with depression, addiction etc. on songs like Hurt.

His songs aren't about angst and depression anymore. It's semi-political, semi-experimental, semi-commentary, semi-empowering, and talking about how he wants to move on but his past keeps on pulling him, all while trying to give fans what they want.

Its a weird state of affair and I love it unconditionally.

Edit:

I love this song so much. Cannot stop listening to it. I just need them to flip the switch on that Vinyl pre-order.

Oh fuck! The $50 set doesn't come with Vinyl? Fuck, my life is ruined!!

Yeah that is why some of the new merch is eye roll inducing.

Don't get me wrong I admire Trent and listen to NIN daily but you hit the NAIL on the head.

corin7

Neo Member
Yeah that is why some of the new merch is eye roll inducing.

Don't get me wrong I admire Trent and listen to NIN daily but you hit the NAIL on the head.

I couldn't disagree more. The Bush era had him ready to start a war I can't imagine what he is feeling now that he is father in the fucking Trump era. There is more to be angry about now more than ever.

Xun

Agreed.

That said I do actually like this track, which makes a change from his recent music.

I couldn't disagree more. The Bush era had him ready to start a war I can't imagine what he is feeling now that he is father in the fucking Trump era. There is more to be angry about now more than ever.

Kids, let me tell you about a little album called Year Zero...prepare to live it.

Turin

Banned

I mean, I've never made it big and never will but I imagine anger, anxiety and depression isn't something that just evaporates from a person when they have luxury. It's how he's wired.

I would agree that a sense of awareness is important though.

Glorious. Ordered the physical component/download/tee bundle and got an email alert set up for the vinyl despite still waiting for the last EP vinyl that I only paid for in fucking December and the 20% code they gave me by way of apology not even fucking working.

I'm part of the problem but I don't care.

I'm an NIN fanboy, unashamedly, however their online store prices are horrific.

Pack of stickers for £8 anyone? Iron-on patch for the same price? Notebook for £25 eye-watering pounds?? A fucking notebook? A tote bag???

I'll be waiting for most of the vinyl to arrive in stores and hopefully at better prices as well. As a life-long fan of the band I found the Deviations set being £80 (!!!) vinyl with no alternative digital option a joke.

Still love this single (and video) though. Before the Flood was a great soundtrack too (also featuring the excellent Mogwai) and well worth checking out for those who slept on it.

I like it. I would have still preferred an album like Hesitation Marks, wich I love, but I'm just happy we have some new music. My hope is that the EP won't be as randomly disjointed as NTAE.

Animator

Yo what's with the terrible sound mixing on this song? Though it was from YouTube but the single sounds so muddy. Wtf Trent?

Top Bottom