• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
charlequin said:
I'm definitely not more qualified by any stretch of the imagination :lol but the short version is that vertex shaders are useful in creating deformation effects (cloth effects, certain animation effects, etc.) and "procedural geometry," and also are used in conjunction with pixel shaders to produce many advanced lighting effects, that is to say, they're super-important and not being able to do them sucks.

Vertex/geometry creation has only arrived latterly in the programmable pipeline. Or as part of geometry shaders....but traditionally you've not been able to create new vertices in vertex shaders. Procedural generation of geometry would happen on the CPU (or perhaps now also in geometry shaders).

A vertex shader is a program that simply takes an input vertex and maps it to its co-ordinate in 2D screenspace. Depending on what effects you might want to apply, there's many different ways you may wish to do that transformation, hence the move from fixed function transforms to vertex shaders. I'm not sure if 3DS has a fixed function transformation pipeline or has programmable vertex shaders (?)

Pimpbaa

Flying_Phoenix said:
*reads through thread*

Wait there are people who actually liked the Gamecube?

That was like by far Nintendo's worst console...ever. Even when you compare all of their previous consoles to "today's standards".

N64 was way fucking worse.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
Sunshine was far more fun than Mario 64 ever was.

Yeah, I went there.
Sunshine is the only Mario game i never finished. Yes, I went there. Anyway, ReMake justified the GC for me.

KAL2006

Banned
sinxtanx said:
Hmm, 3DS portable of the Forever indeed.

Speaking of forever...

countdown.png

TIME IS SLOWING DOWN

Damn according to this countdown, the event will kick off at 5AM (UK time). This is a shame as I will be a sleep at that time.

wrowa

KAL2006 said:
Damn according to this countdown, the event will kick off at 5AM (UK time). This is a shame as I will be a sleep at that time.
We don't know the exact time the event will take place yet afaik.

KAL2006 said:

Then when you wake up, INFORMATION ORGASM. That's what I'm doing first thing I get up. Talk about morning glory.

edit: ah we don't know time? fair enough.

XPE

KAL2006 said:

All the news will be posted just in time for you getting up :D

Green Scar said:
Then when you wake up, INFORMATION ORGASM. That's what I'm doing first thing I get up. Talk about morning glory.

edit: ah we don't know time? fair enough.
i have that day off just incase gamestop start taking pre-orders.

i will also have dead rising 2 to play, so you know, won't be a total bust.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gofreak said:
Vertex/geometry creation has only arrived latterly in the programmable pipeline. Or as part of geometry shaders....but traditionally you've not been able to create new vertices in vertex shaders. Procedural generation of geometry would happen on the CPU (or perhaps now also in geometry shaders).
While you're generally correct, 'procedurally-created effects' are not necesserily bound to the creation of vertices. What I'm trying to say is that you can have procedural geometry effects with little-to-zero CPU interaction and without geometry shaders. Of course the latter opens much more possibilities and is easier to use.

A vertex shader is a program that simply takes an input vertex and maps it to its co-ordinate in 2D screenspace. Depending on what effects you might want to apply, there's many different ways you may wish to do that transformation, hence the move from fixed function transforms to vertex shaders. I'm not sure if 3DS has a fixed function transformation pipeline or has programmable vertex shaders (?)
It has ARB_vertex_program (by OGL terms, otherwise dx9-class for the dx crowd) vertex shaders. That much is known from the PICA200 brochure.

antonz

Medalion said:
I haven't been paying attention to this thread, what is coming on Sept 29th regarding the 3DS?

Nintendo is holding a Conference in the same building as TGS where it will be a blowout on 3DS info.

blu said:
It has ARB_vertex_program (by OGL terms, otherwise dx9-class for the dx crowd) vertex shaders. That much is known from the PICA200 brochure.

So the vertex shader hardware is more flexible than the vertex shaders in the Xbox? That's always the impression I got but its nice to see it confirmed.

I know you were always of the opinion that TEV would actually rate above the pixel shaders in NV2A in terms of its capabilities (and that it was developer unfamiliarity and the lack of vertex shader hardware that meant dot3 bump mapping and the like weren't used much on the GCN/Wii) so where would the fragment shaders/colour combiners/pixel shaders in PICA200 fair in comparison? ~PS1.3 the right sort of ballpark?

The more I learn about PICA200 the less of an issue the lack of full ES 2.0 compliance seems to be. Its already "most of the way" there and if the fixed function shader hardware can deliver most of those ES 2.0 effects with greater performance then a generic unified shader could then why exactly is their absence such a big deal, anyway? I just can't reconcile the absolute insistance that increasingly general purpose hardware is the only viable way to solve this problem when you've got to work within such strict power constraints.

I understand why this approach isn't suitable for platforms like iOS and Android because you can't allow developers to use proprietary extensions as games need to work on a variety of different GPUs and devices but for a closed hardware design like the 3DS then why the hell not? Whatever allows developers to create the best looking games with the least amount of effort at a given power budget is surely the best solution?

Currently Epic Citadel is the most technologically impressive demo of what mobile ES 2.0 hardware can deliver and yet we have the "ES 1.1" 3DS demonstrating an awful lot more technology despite the fact that developers have had much less time to work with it. That's a pretty convincing argument that the lack of ES 2.0 compliance in the 3DS hardware is a none issue to me.

atbigelow

I really wonder how on earth anything the Eternal Eden guy says is news worthy. Apparently when you slap together generic, default graphics with some DRM, you become a frontrunner in 3DS news. Almost as sad as Nibris.

Portugeezer

AceBandage said:
Price, release date, games, ect.
And with that, will we get screenshots/trailers of games, even from 3rd parties? Or it it just info and Nintendo only?

I need my 3DS fix already. Capcom's engine isn't enough!!!!!

antonz

EuropeOG said:
And with that, will we get screenshots/trailers of games, even from 3rd parties? Or it it just info and Nintendo only?

3rd party announcements will be made for significant titles I am sure. run of the mill 3rd party titles not likely

EuropeOG said:

From third parties as well.
We know of a new trailer for DoA and some stuff about SSF4.

wrowa

antonz said:
3rd party announcements will be made for significant titles I am sure. run of the mill 3rd party titles not likely
Depends. In case they should want to focus the attention on the launch line-up the games could be quite shitty.

Doing that wouldn't be a good idea if they want to hype us, though :p

antonz

SSF4 will without a doubt have a big info blowout. Was aready mentioned Nintendo would be making big announcements regarding multiplayer etc that Capcom was not allowed to discuss

thefro

My impression is that this just isn't just going to be a 3DS conference.

Hironobu Sakaguchi is flying back to Japan next week (per his twitter) so I'm expecting a blowout on The Last Story, and maybe some Zelda news as well as a Wii game announcement or two.

Boney

Banned
thefro said:

Hironobu Sakaguchi is flying back to Japan next week (per his twitter) so I'm expecting a blowout on The Last Story, and maybe some Zelda news as well as a Wii game announcement or two.
Last Story is still set for this year right? So wierd.

ILikeFeet

Banned
thefro said:

they never said it was 3DS only. but it's advertised as the headliner

apana

thefro said:

Some Last Story and Skyward Sword news would be great. Last Story looks good, but I wish the game looked exactly like the artwork. I hope they have improved the look since the game since the last trailer.

Bizzyb

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
*reads through thread*

Wait there are people who actually liked the Gamecube?

That was like by far Nintendo's worst console...ever. Even when you compare all of their previous consoles to "today's standards".

Sure it wasn't their best console but it was still a good console. I could make a list but what good would that do? Al that needs to be said is that it DID have somevery good 3rd party support from Japan. Also, It had TWO Zeldas, TWO Starfoxes, TWO Metroids AND The Best F-zero game to date. Not bad if I do say so Myself

ON TOPIC: Hey guys, what's the chances will will see Miis and a Virtual Console of sorts on the 3DS?? I'm talking the ability to transfer purchased Wii VC games AND the addition of GBA games?? I mean, it's obvious the firmware is going to be update-able, right? and emulation for the N64, SNES, GBA, NES, etc should be a piece of cake, right?

Could you imagine? 3DSware, VC, DS AND 3DS games?? This thing would be a gamers paradise.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Bizzyb said:
Sure it wasn't their best console but it was still a good console. I could make a list but what good would that do? Al that needs to be said is that it DID have somevery good 3rd party support from Japan. Also, It had TWO Zeldas, TWO Starfoxes, TWO Metroids AND The Best F-zero game to date. Not bad if I do say so Myself

F-Zero X is the best F-Zero game to date. Especially when coupled with the expansion pack (F-Zero Xpansion Kit). Besides, without it F-Zero GX would not exist since it is the exact same game with better graphics and stripped game mechanics.

Two Star Foxes? Don't even try that one. :)

I always sum up the GameCube, as the most disappointing Nintendo console. It was supposed to be the end all Nintendo console. Remember Spaceworld!!?? But Nintendo really made a lot of odd decisions both on internal and external matters that ruined the system's legacy. I still love my Blue Storm, Avalanche, Twilight Princess, and GX. But damn the system was supposed to be so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom