• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nirolak said:
While I know people like the whole "Nintendo never leaks" meme, we're in a thread about the leaked hardware of the 3DS, we have a post several pages back about how five of Nintendo's highly secretive games leaked, and we're speculating that information about Nintendo's 3DS conference might leak ahead of time from the Nikkei, because the Nikkei always leaks information about Nintendo such as what games they're revealing as well as extra features about the 3DS.

Not to mention that the 3DS was leaked several times before its announcement and we even saw the circuit board for the system leak ahead of time.

Now we have one of the leakiest companies out there, EA, talking about some features for the 3DS. This is the same company that confirmed a split launch for the 3DS at TGS, was the only company to reveal a 3DS game at TGS, said that their title was a launch title for the 3DS, and gave a release date of Spring 2010, but Nintendo did nothing to try and stop that.

I'm going to suggest that considering almost everything about this system has been leaking left and right, maybe Nintendo is no longer overly concerned about keeping every last detail secret, and thus let third party publishers reveal a few vague details which they hadn't yet revealed themselves, in the same way that they let Capcom unveil the GPU capabilities of the 3DS despite NDAing all the system's hardware.

I'm also going to suggest that perhaps Nintendo is no longer the bastion of secret keeping they used to be, but rather an above average secret keeper in one of the leakiest industries out there, so we shouldn't dismiss leaks about them due to their "secret ninja assassins".

conspiracy!!!!!!1111

Poyunch

Gravijah said:
IT'S A KID WITH A GODDAMN TV FOR A HEAD! DON'T BRING ACCURACY INTO THIS!
Oh oh oh I bet he grows up to be this guy.
tvman2qs0.png

antonz

I would hazard to guess the 512 will be heaily focused on the expanded OS and other systems. There has to be some sort of movie player. Maybe the debut of a Netflix handheld plan.

Hopefully an expanded music playback capability. Cannall but guarantee new Photo stuff especially with the introduction of 3D photos.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Gravijah said:
IT'S A KID WITH A GODDAMN TV FOR A HEAD! DON'T BRING ACCURACY INTO THIS!
Nuh-uh. It's a kid who's immersed while playing SMB. His imagination is totally lost in the game. Portrait of a generation. This is art and you can't change art man, YOU CAN'T!

Nirolak said:
EA, talking about some features for the 3DS. This is the same company that confirmed a split launch for the 3DS at TGS, was the only company to reveal a 3DS game at TGS, said that their title was a launch title for the 3DS, and gave a release date of Spring 2010, but Nintendo did nothing to try and stop that.
Well, the date on the My Garden page says TBD instead of Spring 2011 like it used to. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Nintendo did say something.

Poyunch

antonz said:
I would hazard to guess the 512 will be heaily focused on the expanded OS and other systems. There has to be some sort of movie player. Maybe the debut of a Netflix handheld plan.

Hopefully an expanded music playback capability. Cannall but guarantee new Photo stuff especially with the introduction of 3D photos.
Would anyone really pay for Netflix on 3DS? Such a small screen. I guess it might be nice for train trips or long rides.

Vic

Nirolak said:
While I know people like the whole "Nintendo never leaks" meme, we're in a thread about the leaked hardware of the 3DS, we have a post several pages back about how five of Nintendo's highly secretive games leaked, and we're speculating that information about Nintendo's 3DS conference might leak ahead of time from the Nikkei, because the Nikkei always leaks information about Nintendo such as what games they're revealing as well as extra features about the 3DS.

Not to mention that the 3DS was leaked several times before its announcement and we even saw the circuit board for the system leak ahead of time.

Now we have one of the leakiest companies out there, EA, talking about some features for the 3DS. This is the same company that confirmed a split launch for the 3DS at TGS, was the only company to reveal a 3DS game at TGS, said that their title was a launch title for the 3DS, and gave a release date of Spring 2010, but Nintendo did nothing to try and stop that.

I'm going to suggest that considering almost everything about this system has been leaking left and right, maybe Nintendo is no longer overly concerned about keeping every last detail secret, and thus let third party publishers reveal a few vague details which they hadn't yet revealed themselves, in the same way that they let Capcom unveil the GPU capabilities of the 3DS despite NDAing all the system's hardware.

I'm also going to suggest that perhaps Nintendo is no longer the bastion of secret keeping they used to be, but rather an above average secret keeper in one of the leakiest industries out there, so we shouldn't dismiss leaks about them due to their "secret ninja assassins".
Or maybe Nintendo have so many business partners, they can't keep the lid on the top of every single one of them?

gerg

I really don't think that we should put too much stock into that OMGWTFBBQ" leak. Do we know the leaker's history? Are we sure that the guess was something other than "make enough guesses, some of them will be right"?

Also, I just wanted to say that, especially in London, I don't think that you really get "British food" anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
QuiteWhittle said:
Well, the date on the My Garden page says TBD instead of Spring 2011 like it used to. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Nintendo did say something.
Interesting. This is one of the first initiatives I've seen them take lately, though oddly it does more to confirm the rumor than cover it up.

Vic said:
Or maybe Nintendo have so many business partners, they can't keep the lid on the top of every single one of them?
Well yes. This is true of most leaky companies.

For example, Microsoft, Sony, and EA, three of the leakiest companies, leak half their information through their external contractors. This doesn't make them any less leaky.

gerg said:
I really don't think that we should put too much stock into that OMGWTFBBQ" leak. Do we know the leaker's history? Are we sure that the guess was something other than "make enough guesses, some of them will be right"?

Also, I just wanted to say that, especially in London, I don't think that you really get "British food" anymore.
Well, even if we want to ignore this leak, we can still see that three of these titles were leaked ahead of time.

Wii Fit Plus: http://kotaku.com/5199129/hearsay-wii-fit-plus-dated-in-europe
Donkey Kong Country: http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1096857p1.html
New Super Mario Bros Wii: The picture from their booth with the curtain along with this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363448

Edit:

There's also apparently one for Metroid Prime Trilogy: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/27/rumor-metroid-prime-trilogy/

gerg

Nirolak said:
Well, even if we want to ignore this leak, we can still see that three of these titles were leaked ahead of time.

Wii Fit Plus: http://kotaku.com/5199129/hearsay-wii-fit-plus-dated-in-europe
Donkey Kong Country: http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1096857p1.html
New Super Mario Bros Wii: The picture from their booth with the curtain along with this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363448

I don't really count Nintendo putting up its own promotional posters and banners the day before their E3 conference as a game being leaked.

The rest of the leaks seem pretty standard as far as things go.

WillyFive

Nintendo, like everyone, leaks stuff.

But unlike others, people don't tend to take leaked stuff seriously, because the leaks are so crazy they are very unlikely from a logical point of view, even though they are true.

abstract alien said:
Ok, just to be clear...

Did something leak, or are we talking about the possibility of a leak when looking back at history?
Traditionly, Nikkei leaks stuff from Nintendo's fall conference the Sunday before. Which would be today.
So nothing yet.

Vic

abstract alien said:
Ok, just to be clear...

Did something leak, or are we talking about the possibility of a leak when looking back at history?
^^^^Better explanation.

antonz

PounchEnvy said:
Would anyone really pay for Netflix on 3DS? Such a small screen. I guess it might be nice for train trips or long rides.

Nintendo said they already had deals with a few studios back at E3 and even had a few demos running. The Demos were stuff like How to Train your dragon. It could be more specific deals but I think it would make more sense for some kind of movie service. If it remains totally focused on a small segment of movies I doubt much will come from it.

It would be good for trips and such.

Vic said:
Haven't you heard? The 3DS can run Crysis.

I don't think it's second channel polyhaxis segregator can pikmin at a consistent enough wattage to process Crysis' normal mapping sub-textures while maintaining the paralax scatter lighting system, and lets not even get into the 3DFPS (3d frames per second). Bottom line, the system is shit. Lets ignore already-gorgeous screenshots from launch games STILL being improved on and continue debating if the 3DS is on par with the Atari Jaguar.

something something blast processing.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
OrangeGrayBlue said:
I don't think it's second channel polyhaxis segregator can pikmin at a consistent enough wattage to process Crysis' normal mapping sub-textures while maintaining the paralax scatter lighting system, and lets not even get into the 3DFPS (3d frames per second). Bottom line, the system is shit. Lets ignore already-gorgeous screenshots from launch games STILL being improved on and continue debating if the 3DS is on par with the Atari Jaguar.

i see

but can it do mode 7?

Vic

OrangeGrayBlue said:

Shhhhiiii-

Did an old Nintendo handheld took an human form, kicked you in the nuts and ran over your dog or something?

DarkWish

Does anyone remember around what time the Nikkei leaks happened in the past? I'm not sure if I should stay up or not. Japan time always confuses me.

Vic

DarkWish said:
Does anyone remember around what time the Nikkei leaks happened in the past? I'm not sure if I should stay up or not. Japan time always confuses me.
Don't bother.

GDGF

Soothsayer
DarkWish said:

Not worth it, really. Just a few more days.

But if you're going to be up anyway it'll happen around 3:00 AM EST if it happens (which it wont)

Vic said:
Shhhhiiii-

Did an old Nintendo handheld took an human form, kicked you in the nuts and ran over your dog or something?

Mostly going nuts waiting for info. That post was entirely satirical, if it wasn't clear enough.

DarkWish said:
Go to bed. Just because they ran a story in '08 does not mean they'll do so for a different event two years later.

Opiate said:
That's a new trade off? (Sort of kidding: not true historically, but certainly true of most genres that are now big on HD systems).

New as in different, in terms of phones relative to our other comparison point of PCs. :p

The disparity between consoles/PCs is no longer huge, but for most of the last 30 years -- during which consoles thrived -- there was.

True.

You can also make the comparison between DVD players and PCs, and so forth.

Well, I mean, I think it's pretty clear that PCs haven't replaced DVD players despite being basically superior at playing DVDs.

But yes, I mean, I agree with you that if handhelds lose out, this'll be why; I just don't think they will.

Flying_Phoenix said:
You make some really good and well thoughtout points. That being said I still would not count media devices out.

Well, I've said before in many threads about this, it's not impossible at all for mobile devices to replace dedicated gaming handhelds; it's just that they need to actually replace them rather than offer a limited, inexpensive gaming experience as a value-add, and therefore either the mobile devices that do this will change to become much more like gaming handhelds in the process or gaming handhelds will stay the same but simply incorporate phone technology.

There are really a variety of things that could contribute to this. If battery tech stays flat but display, processing, etc. technology keeps advancing, we might reach a point where there's no real reason to make phones as expensive as they are anymore and the tech curve between older and newer phones flattens. If mobile tech gets way cheaper, we might instead see every gaming handheld include built-in mobile internet and be hotswappable into being a real phone.

What I really object to, and I think your post indicates that you get this, is the idea that smartphones as they are today (just continuing to exist and be more widely adopted) will replace gaming handhelds as they are today, because it's based on a concept of how the two relate that's really deeply inaccurate.

The only point I can't really agree with you on is price. An iPod Touch is only $230

I even said upthread (well, at least I think I said!) that what people should be looking at is whether a device like the iPod Touch can challenge handhelds. Top-of-the-line phones are going to stay in the $600-800 bracket (in terms of manufacturing cost) and the $50+ per month bracket (in terms of end-user cost) for the foreseeable future, which means they're very poorly suited to taking over a market with so many lower spenders in it, but an iPod Touch is a $230 general-purpose device that anyone can buy. I think it'd be far easier for someone else (not Apple, their philosophy on games is too different) to encroach on, and maybe even "destroy," gaming handhelds with a device like this -- it's just that the resulting device would really be something like "a gaming handheld slash media player," the same way that right now an iPod Touch is a portable internet device but it's also 100% as good as a "regular" iPod at being a music player.

Nintendo does indeed bring out both the absolute best and worst in humanity. This type of thing would never happen with any other gaming company...not that I could think of anyway.

DarkWish

GDGF said:
Not worth it, really. Just a few more days.

But if you're going to be up anyway it'll happen around 3:00 AM EST if it happens (which it wont)
It's not that, I just like to update the site I write for with the news as it comes, so if there's a chance at a leak, I'd consider staying up. If it's around 3 AM EST though, then I'll probably just go to sleep since I'm already pretty tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom