• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Red New 3DS XL obtained. Transfer complete.

Not sure if I'm loving it.

- The super stable 3D isn't perfect. It seems to freak out occasionally. Rarely, but occasionally.
- L and R are now harder to press since ZL and ZR are there.
- The stylus is smaller, in a less convenient spot, and harder to pull out.
- The power button is in a weird place. Not a huge deal though since I rarely turn the system off.
- Getting the backplate off was a pain. I thought I was going to break it.

+ The buttons feel nice.
+ The d-pad is massively better than my old 3DS XL's d-pad.
+ I like the c-stick, though switching back and forth between it and buttons will take some getting used to.
+ Start and select are in a better place, and the home button feels nicer.

I hope someone makes a 3rd party retractable stylus.

MBR

Banned
Is it just me, or is the sound quality much better on n3ds than on old when using headphones? I traded my laungh OG in, so can't compare.
How does ghosting/crosstalk on the New 3DS compare to older models?
seems to be different per game, just like before imo. Not a problem once I've adjusted 3D, can keep higher 3D in FE:Awakening than in Majora's Mask, which are the obly ones I've tested this far.

Wookieomg

Ahhhhh! My GameStop MM N3DS XL pre-order arrived today! I had value shipping so I didn't expect it for at least a week from now. Wonderful surprise to wake up to, along with MH4U. :D

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
So what, Gamestop only ordered enough consoles for pre-orders? As did Best Buy? No one in my area has this console available. What is Nintendo doing?

Is anyone else having this issue? If not, where did you buy your non-reserved console?

Impala26

This is the true megaton.

image.php

But certainly not the ONLY megaton...

The UPS guy must have come when I was in the shower. I found Majora's Mask sitting on my porch with a sticker on it saying that I missed a package requiring a signature. Say's the next time they'll send it will be a Monday. I'm so bummed right now :(

Wookieomg

So couple of questions about transfers:

I have an SD Card in my OG 3DS and I bought a microSD Card for my N3DS. If I planned on transferring the data from my OG 3DS SD Card to my PC, at which point should I do that?

Before the transfer? Or when prompted during the transfer process?

And regarding the microSD Card for the N3DS, when should I insert it into the system? I know you have to unscrew some stuff to get it in there, and if I wanted to copy the data over from my OG 3DS, I assume I should wait till I get to that point in the transfer process, yes?

neilyadig

just got my black, pre-ordered from gamestop. transferred to a new microSD card via my mac, put it back in the old system. initiated system transfer. it failed on the last step because somehow it lost access to the internet.

starting over now. what a process... there are so many prompts, so many steps, takes so long...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I just tried doing online "Store pickup" for three Best Buys in Manhattan. The first one said it had stock, so I went through the entire order process, and double checked that it said "pick up today". I got a mail 30 minutes later saying my order was being shipped to the store and I could pick it up in 3-5 days.

I cancelled that one and tried another BB. Same exact thing happened.

I tried a third, and it actually worked. Just got back from picking it up.

BB really needs to fix their in-store inventory tracker... unless it just happened that two times in a row between me seeing the store having it online and 30 seconds later placing the order they sold out.

Rootbeer

Banned
MAN i was so incredibly careful in applying my hori screen protectors but i still got one air bubble on each screen that will not remove!

should i try to pry up the filter and remove them? what do you guys do in these cases just live with it?

vgamer1

just got my black, pre-ordered from gamestop. transferred to a new microSD card via my mac, put it back in the old system. initiated system transfer. it failed on the last step because somehow it lost access to the internet.

starting over now. what a process... there are so many prompts, so many steps, takes so long...

image.php

I preordered the Black N3DSXL at the local Best Buy two nights ago and I'm glad I did. When I went to pick it up at the store, they had already sold all the other black systems and only had red left. I would not have bought the red so the preorder was essential. I've suffered with this blue XL ever since it launched and I've really grown to hate it. Glad to have a neutral color again.

Furthermore, the new system is perfect with no dead/stuck pixels or hotspots. I had bad luck with the XL launch as the first unit I got had a dead pixel and the one I exchanged it for had some faint bright spots on the bottom screen which I decided to live with since they were then sold out. I later regretted this because those spots on the bottom only got worse over time. They didn't make the system unusable but they are certainly noticeable. Can't wait to sell this old thing.

what do you guys do in these cases just live with it?

Honest answer? I usually pull off the screen protector, say "Fuck it.." and then don't use one. I don't even bother anymore and I've never felt like I missed having one for a clamshell system like this.

Jakoo

Just finished the system transfer and for whatever reason, it cannot any longer connect to a router despite the internet in my house working and the fact it was able to validate my system when changing the licences.

I have tried re-accessing the back panel to enter/remove the memory card to see if that was causing any issues, however now, it appears that the screws are already stripped (and I purchased a screw driver specifically for this).

This launch is already feeling pretty lukewarm for me.

MicH

I have an SD Card in my OG 3DS and I bought a microSD Card for my N3DS. If I planned on transferring the data from my OG 3DS SD Card to my PC, at which point should I do that?

And regarding the microSD Card for the N3DS, when should I insert it into the system? I know you have to unscrew some stuff to get it in there, and if I wanted to copy the data over from my OG 3DS, I assume I should wait till I get to that point in the transfer process, yes?
You can do either:

1) Cooy the files from the old SD to the new micro SD using a computer, put the micro SD in the SD adapter and put it in the old 3DS. You can then do the system transfer. When it's done all you have to do is take the micro SD out of the old 3DS and put it in the new3DS

2) Do the system transfer first. When the system transfer is done put your SD card into your computer and copy the files. After that copy those files to your micro SD card. When done put it into your new 3DS

FaintDeftone

I have to say, the Miiverse is actually on-par with the Wii U version now. The whole thing was PAINFULLY slow on the previous 3DS and I never used it for this reason. I feel like I've gotten new functionality from this.

Grok4Spock

Copy everything over from the SD card to the MicroSD card before you do the system transfer. Put the MicroSD in the SD card adapter and put that into your old 3DS. You just have to follow the prompts and say no when it asks you if you have a SD or miniSD card. After about 10 minutes you can shut everything down. Then you move the MicroSD card to your new 3DS. It seems more complicated than it actually is. I did it in GameStop and it took 15 minutes including updating the new 3DS XL's firmware.

Juraash

So I seem to recall seeing Monster Hunter themes. Are these out for the US? Did they come preloaded on the MH4U edition of the new 3DS?

Shiina

So I seem to recall seeing Monster Hunter themes. Are these out for the US? Did they come preloaded on the MH4U edition of the new 3DS?

They're free for digital copies of the game. I assume that also goes for the preloaded LE ones. Haven't checked yet.

melos

Just got my MH3DSXL and am very pleased with both how it looks and feels. I find the glossy back to be more comfortable and with the fur pattern it's quite hard to see fingerprints.

The transfer process went well since I'd prepared by using a microSD in an adapter with my old XL a few weeks back.

Only got to try using it for a little bit so far but was very happy with the 3D stability in the home screen and initial setup.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before, but the colors are so much more pronounced! I feel the change is really similar if you came from an original DS to a DS Lite. Contrast is MUCH improved IMO.

Currently waiting on MH4U to finish downloading. Really looking forward to playing through some old games and to get hunting!

Namikaze

Just finished the system transfer and for whatever reason, it cannot any longer connect to a router despite the internet in my house working and the fact it was able to validate my system when changing the licences.

I have tried re-accessing the back panel to enter/remove the memory card to see if that was causing any issues, however now, it appears that the screws are already stripped (and I purchased a screw driver specifically for this).

This launch is already feeling pretty lukewarm for me.

The screws are terrible, the same thing happened to one of mine. Putting the microSD slot inside the back panel was a mistake.

amnesiac

Making the SD card accessible only by unscrewing the back is the worst design decision ever. No idea how they thought it was a good idea. People are breaking the clips off of the panel, stripping the screws, what a mess.

Impala26

Making the SD card accessible only by unscrewing the back is the worst design decision ever. No idea how they thought it was a good idea. People are breaking the clips off of the panel, stripping the screws, what a mess.

Glad I'm waiting for N3DS XL ver. 1.1 with better quality checks...
Seriously though, that, the stylus slot on the bottom, c-stick rubbing on the top screen when closed, and reports of "floaty" hinges have me scratching my head today.

I was at a Best Buy that had a demo unit but it was stuck on some video choice thing. While trying to get a feel for it the c stick seemed super hard and I couldn't tell if I was actually moving it. Is that normal or was the demo unit already borked?

MicH

I was at a Best Buy that had a demo unit but it was stuck on some video choice thing. While trying to get a feel for it the c stick seemed super hard and I couldn't tell if I was actually moving it. Is that normal or was the demo unit already borked?
It doesn't move. It's like that red mouse-nub some (older) laptops have

Inotti

I hope people didn't buy #00 screwdriver instead of #0 which is officially recommended. I have a professional small screwdriver set and #00 is waay too small (it wiggles quite a bit) and #0 is pretty much perfect fit. You can use too small screwdriver and you propably can get screws open with that but then again there's a bigger chance that you will strip the screws especially small screws like this. Whoever spread the rumour that #00 is the correct size has propably some cheap ass screwdrivers with incorrect size labelling.

Impala26

Normal. The C-Stick has been likened more to a Asus/Lenovo mouse nub than a proper analog stick

AKA what my fiancée calls a "clit mouse"

Zimmy68

Called a couple of Gamestops and they only got enough for pre-orders.
I'm stuck getting it from them since I would need to do a trade in.
No way I am spending $200 and being stuck with 2 3DS XLs.
I got bit by the Amazon trade in before, they sent back a near perfect DS for what they called "micro scratches" on the hinge.

Still shocked at the demand for this thing, which is basically a small update to a current system.

I remember trading my OG 3DS for the XL when it came out and there being plenty of stock.
I didn't bother pre-ordering because why would there be a demand for this?

I'm guessing Nintendo is playing games, I suspect a bunch to come in stock next week.

Its not like this just came out, it has been manufactured for months overseas.
I am no hurry, just don't want to miss the trade in deadline.
The guy at Gamestop told me it has been extended to the 15th so take that with a grain of salt.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Yeah, what the hell are they thinking. If anything, the SD card should be even more accessible than the original 3DS as so many more people are going all digital these days.

Sorcerer

I hope people didn't buy #00 screwdriver instead of #0 which is officially recommended. I have a professional small screwdriver set and #00 is waay too small (it wiggles quite a bit) and #0 is pretty much perfect fit. You can use too small screwdriver and you propably can get screws open with that but then again there's a bigger chance that you will strip the screws especially small screws like this. Whoever spread the rumour that #00 is the correct size has propably some cheap ass screwdrivers with incorrect size labelling.

I don't even trust Nintendo in this regard. When installing the higher capacity battery on my Wii U gamepad, the instructions said #0.

Well that didn't work, neither did #00.

I had to finally buy a #000 to get it to work without stripping the screws.

Brick

This might be a real dumb question. The new 3DS supports any size of MicroSD card, right? So if I get a 64 gig card, it will work?

Top Bottom